Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 8:50 AM Last edited by Horser01 : 12th Jul 2013 at 3:27 AM.
Default Help Buying New Computer...
I’m looking to buy a new computer that I can actually play the Sims 3 and all it’s expansions on… I love games, but my current computer is older and sucks for any newer games… I enjoy games such as Zoo Tycoon 2, Wildlife Zoo, Spore, and others, so I’d like something that can play these, but I really need help finding a machine that can play others that are much more impressive than those… Such as the complete collection of Sims 3. It needs to be something that can accomplish this, but that will also be able to handle AT LEAST 4 or 5 other (good graphic) games (and their expansions) being installed at the same time… As well as watching internet videos/music, surfing the web, and other little things like Microsoft Office, etc. I want it primarily for gaming, so something that could ONLY handle Sims 3 but nothing else wouldn’t work for me…

I’m looking for a laptop that can do these things, but I know desktops are much better quality when going for things like gaming, especially since I won’t be buying another for several years… My current computer was bought 4.5 years ago and it was refurbished, not new… But at the moment it has almost a hundred games on it… Including the complete collection of Sims 2, Zoo Tycoon 2, Spore, and others… I need something that will not need constant upgrading over the years until I can buy a new one. I want something that will fill my gaming needs for at least a few years.

I do NOT want a Vista, and Windows 7 is preferred. Min of Dual Core, (Or whatever the equivalent for laptop is…). I’d prefer no Integrated Video Chipsets (I hear they aren’t good for gaming) and it should be “PLUS” Certified. I was told to go for “80 PLUS”… Other than that I want quality and performance. I don't have a clue about building them, so that won't work either...

So my request is that you suggest your top picks for both Laptops and Desk Tops. My budget would be preferably under $1,750 for a desktop, but I’m willing to go up to $2,500… For a Laptop I really don’t want to spend more than about $1,500…

I have read the forums, stickys, and other help topics, but I have trouble figuring out which computers have what... So if you can help, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks for your help!

P.S.- I was thinking of buying this one… Would it be good for my needs? And is it a good price for what you’re getting? Which add-ons/options would you choose? And if it’s not a good buy, would you recommend any of the others?

FIXED LINK: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...PC-ENERGY-STAR-

Other Desktops: http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-o...hopByUse=Gaming

Laptops: http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-o...3D0&PageSize=15

When a man kills a tiger, it is called a game.
When a Tiger kills a man, then it is called savagery...
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 1:43 PM
What country do you live in? Do you already have some desktop computer parts lying around? Would you be willing to buy the parts separately and then assemble them yourself? we could help you with it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 6:21 AM
I'm in Canada. So Canadian currency as well... Or the US equivalent of my budget. I have my old desktop (that I'm using now), but I don't have a clue what to do with assembling a computer, and honestly I'm really intimidated with the thought of it... I really would prefer one I can just order and set up... Avoiding the hastle of trying to assemble it would be worth a few extra dollars in my opinion... But that's partly why I was interested in that site that I linked. You can customize them some...

Scholar
#4 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 2:26 PM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 10th Jul 2013 at 4:23 PM.
Laptops:

Best Value:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y500
http://www.canadacomputers.com/prod...&item_id=057831

Best under $1500:
Sager NP8230 - Clevo P151SM1
http://www.reflexnotebook.ca/sager-...vo-p151sm1.html

Desktops:

Go to www.ncix.com

Order the following item:
Intel Core i5 4430 Quad Core 3.0GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache Retail *IR-$5* Part #81330

At the page displaying the above item, you should get the option to add a combo item and receive a discount. Add this item:
ASUS H87M-PLUS/CSM mATX LGA1150 H87 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard Part #84497

The Combo Deal number is 81330.

Then add the following items:
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Case ATX 4X5.25 6X3.5INT USB 1394 No PS Part #61928
Corsair CX Series CX500M 500W ATX 12V 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply Part #78576
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN DIMM Memory Part #44267
Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5in 256GB SATA3 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) *IR-$20* Part #60446
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM Part #74462
ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU OC 1058MHZ 2GB 6GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card Part #75685
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64Bit SP1 DVD OEM Part #45271
PC Assembly And Testing with 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased Part #7842

Total should be $1,291.75 CAD.
Shipping and final tax calculation will be calculated at checkout

They will assemble it for you. Then you have to add a screen, mouse and keyboard. The desktop will be SIGNIFICANTLY faster than either of the laptops.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jul 2013 at 5:35 PM Last edited by Horser01 : 11th Jul 2013 at 5:52 PM.
So thats the best desktop? t has all the extra functions a regular computer has? Like cd burner, camara attachments, etc, etc? I dont have a clue whatbthose parts are except for two or three so...

Also, I just realized the link for the one I wanted isnt working, so if you click on the one below it (other desktops) scroll dpwn to the nottom, and theres one that says "our best pc yet" or something like that.... Ita the last one... I'll fix the link later. I'm on my phone right now (also sprry for the spelling. Dang tiny buttons...)

Iblike the look of the Sager... Do you know how long the battery will run for? The first one runs for 3 hours. I was thinking of something twice that at least... However I know nothing of laptops (never had one before) so I dont know what a good running time is... no operating system? So I should choose windows 7, but which one!? Are there any other options I should invest in...? And do you think this would play sims 3 and other games...? I was told today no laptop is good enough for gaming...

Scholar
#6 Old 12th Jul 2013 at 5:25 AM
It's not the BEST desktop out there... but its great for gaming. The BEST desktop will go easily $2000-$3000. You don't need that though. As long as you play games on a single screen at 1080p you should be able to throw whatever you want at the desktop I recommended and it'll play it.

The desktop I mentioned does NOT include cd burner, camera, SD card reader, Screen/Monitor, mouse or keyboard etc. though. You can go to the website, shop, and add what ever part you like. The parts I already mentioned add up to $1300, so even after adding all the extra stuff, you should still be within your budget at around $1500-$1600.

I can't really help recommend camera or speakers since I don't use those (maybe someone else here might) but I can help recommend keyboard and mouse! Do you already have some lying around at home or do you need to buy new ones?

As for the laptop it definitely isn't the most powerful. The really powerful ones will set you back $2000 easily. I didn't recommend one of those because honestly, it's expensive and not really good value. But if you have the money and you're willing to pay that's up to you, I can help you shop for one. It really depends on you and what you're expectations are and what you're willing to pay for. The laptop Sager I suggested will play the sims 3 and other current games though. Maybe not at the highest settings at 1080p but at least at medium or medium high. Yes you should add an operating system if its not included. Go for Windows 7 64bit.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jul 2013 at 5:44 AM
I have the mouse, keyboard and speakers and I don't want a camera. I'll think about the custom desktop... It seems like a lot of work to figure out everything I want in it and then go and find the best part to add in... Especially since I don't know what 90% of those things you recommended are... I'd have to just copy and paste it all in... :/ (Heads spinning just looking at that little paragraph... O.o)

I really can't afford $2,000 for a laptop, since I'm buying it in addition to the desktop. I just want something to take to work with me, since I'm dieing of boredom for about 5 hours straight... But I did want something that could play at least a few of my games. As far as I can tell, with the options I picked (Though I REALLY don't know if they're the best picks...) the sager would cost about $1,700 - 1,800... More than I wanted to pay, but... *Shrugs* If it's a good quality I wouldn't mind so much...

I was actually hoping to find a laptop that I could use *instead* of a desktop, but I don't think that's possible for money to performance value... I mean the desktops are twice as good for less price, right? And also, I'm told I'd melt my legs from holding the laptop or burn it out if it was that good... :/

Out of curiousity, which do you think would perform better? The desktop I picked, or the Sager? I'm asking because I was told that was a good computer that would run anything (Though I needed second or third opinions ), so if I was going to be happy with that, if the laptop was as good (or better) than the desktop I could just get the laptop instead of both, right...? (Does that make any sense!?)

Oh, and the Fixed Link for the Desktop I picked... http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...PC-ENERGY-STAR-

Scholar
#8 Old 12th Jul 2013 at 9:39 AM
Wait you want both a laptop and a desktop? Also... the sager is fine as is... what options did you add to make it $1700? I sent you a PM, could you check it please?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Jul 2013 at 4:53 PM
I added these:
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU +CA$37.45
Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition +CA$101.65
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 8GB +CA$85.60
6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software +CA$58.85
1 x CAR-1010-2, Car Adatper +CA$69.55
1 x C-6AB-USB, 6ft USB Cable Type A to Type B +CA$8.56
1 x C-10AA-USB, 10ft USB 2.0 Extension Cable Type A to A +CA$10.70
1 x BAT-8230, NP8230 Smart Li-ION Battery Pack (8 Cell) +CA$107.00

So the total is $1,783.69...

Well, I want a laptop, but I REALLY need one for the games, so I was thinking I'd get better performance from a desktop... That's why I said if I can find a really good laptop I'd just get that instead of both... Of course I guess I'd be paying more than $1,500 for one like that though...

Also, I re-read the previous posts... You said "As long as you play games on a single screen at 1080p"... Is 1080p the standard for games, or will I have to lower the game settings...?

Sorry for being a pain, but I really appreciate your help!

Scholar
#10 Old 13th Jul 2013 at 5:04 AM
Okay well there are a few things I think we should cover.

Firstly when you have a laptop, no matter what kind of laptop it is or what you're doing with it, you should never put it on your lap while you use it. Or put it on the bed and use it. You should always put it down on a completely flat and hard surface. This is because there are vents on the bottom and on the sides of the laptop that evacuate the heat the computer generates while it works. If you block those vents or restrict the air flow its really bad. Also never move your laptop or computer while it is on. This is because the hard drive can get damaged (the needle can scratch the disk platter). Always shut it down or put it into sleep mode before moving it.

Now as for desktop vs laptop well you will get better performance from the desktop I recommended but only because the parts I chose are better. Normally people choose one of the following:

Gaming desktop only (this is what I have)
Gaming desktop + non-gaming laptop
Gaming laptop only

How badly do you need or want a laptop? Do you have to be able to play the sims 3 on the laptop if you choose one?

If you only have X amount of dollars to spend, you will always get better performance with a gaming desktop option just because you can get better parts for the same amount of money. However, that doesn't mean you can't get a decent gaming laptop to completely replace your desktop. You'll just have to put in more money than most people spend on laptops. The Sager I recommended for example is probably better than the desktop you're using to reply to me.

Honestly you're going to have to decide how badly you want to game on the go and how much you're willing to spend to achieve that. If you decide that gaming on the go is an absolute must, then I would recommend you just spend on a good gaming laptop only. If you feel you can pass on gaming while on the go, then get a gaming desktop and a non-gaming laptop. Or if you feel you really don't need a laptop at all, just splurge on a fabulous gaming desktop :P

P.S. As for the things you added to your Sager to make it $1700, you don't need the Special Thermal Compound addition and the 16GB of RAM. The standard is just fine, and the standard 8GB of RAM is fine as well. As for all the other things that's up to you but really the only thing I would get is the Windows... if that. I would probably just buy a retail license from a store. With a retail license you can legally install Windows on BOTH a laptop and a desktop at the same time.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 1:39 AM
Okay, well, I was wondering, if I were to get just a gaming laptop, would this be a good one? Apparently you can upgrade it in the future if you need to... And it has vents on the back instead of the sides which is apparently better...?

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore...&l=en&cs=cadhs1
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-...ch&isredir=true

For options I was thinking Windows 7 Ultimate, the base 16 GB of Memory, 1.5 TB of Hard Drive (I doubt I need that much but I figured for $100 it's twice as much...) And Add-on the HD3 Gaming Chill Mat...

Or is this really expensive for those specs...? Would the Sager be better? I *Think* the Alienware is only a little better in specs, but (Apparently) it can be upgraded in the future instead of being replaced... It is a LOT more money though... But I figured IF it would suffice instead of buying a desktop AND laptop it would work out to just a little more... Also, if one will last me... like... 2 years longer than the other, it would be worth more...

I know gaming laptops run really hot... Is that just 'uncomfortable to hold' kind of hot? Or like... 'Melt your motherboard' kind of hot...?

I don't need a laptop, but I would like one, just for the sole reason of working for 7 hours with 3 customers all day... And they don't even have a radio there... It doesn't NEED to play the Sims 3, but I did want something I could play a lot of things on... (Waiting all day to play one thing and knowing your holding something that SHOULD play it but doesn't will drive me nuts!) I was originally thinking of a gaming desktop and a mid-range to high levvel laptop, BUT if I could get a laptop that will be good enough to not need a desktop, I am willing to pay more. As long as it will last 4-5 years and play all my games and do all my other stuff... I definitly don't want any laptop they sell in actual stores in this town as they are all entry level and suck in my opinion...

I guess what I'm saying is I'd like a laptop that can at least play Sims 2 and all it's expansions + Custom Content and Zoo Tycoon 2 PLUS a kick-butt desktop, OR I would like a kick-butt laptop that will play whatever and whenever I want it to...

Scholar
#12 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 4:43 AM
Where did you read that the Alienware can upgraded in the future? As far as I know, it cannot. The Alienware and the Sager are virtual the same. Same processor, same amount of memory, same amount of storage and same graphics processor except that the Alienware is a more expensive. The sager has vents too. When you game, you really won't see a difference. You're paying more for the Alienware because of its presentation and advertising.

Is there a particular reason why you're thinking of using Windows 7 Ultimate? I don't recall any of the features Ultimate has over Home Premium affecting gaming.

16GB of RAM is really overkill. I never use more than 6GB when gaming. I would stick with 8GB honestly.

As for the mouse pad, if you're not on a tight budget go for it. It's really expensive but it's a real improvement over cheap mouse pads. If you get the Sager you can buy a mouse pad that's just as good or better from online stores.

From you're telling me about your work situation, I would say that maybe getting a powerful laptop to replace your desktop completely would be nice. As long as you're willing to haul it to and from work everyday and take care of it so that it does last 4-5 years. I can tell you it won't be light though. Maybe something like 10lbs.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 5:01 AM
The Alienware support people told me it could be upgraded. But I wanted to double check because 'salespeople neeeevvveer lie'...

Not a mousepad... A cooling pad...

I know they are mostly the same, but I was wondering ifthe little differences were worth that combined with the brand name... (if one ws better quality...) Windows Ultimate makes it possible to get 32 GB. I dont need 32, But I figured if I COULD upgrade, I should make sure I hot the right software... And the alienware starys at 16gb...

eight isnt a problem at all. So the Sager would be enough to actually play anything I want?

Scholar
#14 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 5:14 AM
Oh sorry! Didn't read properly >< I'm not sure about the cooling pad, I haven't used one myself.

I don't see you ever needing 16GB of RAM while gaming... let alone 32GB >< The only reason you should get that much RAM is if you're running multiple monitors or doing video editing. Or if your software needs it.

The Sager should play any game out today.

If you want to future proof further maybe upgrade the CPU to an even stronger one... but that's an extra $400. Still on the fence on that.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#15 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 5:56 AM
Keep in mind - there's no point future proofing it until it can potentially last to 2020 by the specs alone if everyday usage would mean that you use it heavily enough that either the adapter needs replacement or the fan dies within 2 years, the screen LED went kaput, or something. And if the replacement parts are no longer in stock or made, all your plans to future-proof it is futile.