Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 1:21 AM
Default Franchises and their most hated characters
In recent years, one of my favorite characters, Big the Cat from Sonic the Hedgehog, was retired from appearances. Mainly due to harsh criticism that was along the lines of bullicide grade.

It appears I was his only champion because I like my games to switch paces when changing characters. You just can't be running round all the time!

Another was Chibiusa from Sailor Moon. Now I know DiC and Cloverway did a lousy job in translating her bratty behavior and made her too much of a brat that fansites popped up on the Internet when having your own site was cool that focused on ways to off her. When joining networks became the thing, deviantart features fanart that involves condoms and a picture of Chibiusa Xed out.

Seriously? You're picking on a small child in a story aimed at young girls between 4-14 and you must take into account she's on a mission to keep her world in the 30th Century Utopian as much as she can and is all alone, relying on those she can trust. What were you doing at age 5? I was busy testing out edutainment software and playing game in MS-DOS...but time travel to save my mom wasn't.

-------

In short, these hatreds can become toxic and turn off others around you.

My question is: Why do we have fan clubs that are against characters because of who they are?

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 2:18 AM
Because some people think they're annoying said characters presence ruins their show/gaming experience.

Some annoying characters are needed because they're important to the plot (much like Chibiusa), but others are totally unnecessary and wouldn't make a difference if they were to disappear (Like Big).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 11:17 AM
My question was more: Why are we hating in the first place?

I mean really...DC vs Marvel, Star Wars vs Star Trek, Pokémon vs Digimon, these alone are competition on a broad level for popularity. I have been on a smaller scale and noted the characters that make the franchise.

Look, I find Big to be integral to the franchise, because all I can think of is people rushing to their deaths and his "slow down and take a load off" gameplay mentality is a lesson in patience, something that youngsters avoid, shirk or ignore and are impatient to even cut to the chase.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Inventor
#4 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 11:23 AM
hate is normal, it's a way to vent frustration :P

I mean, it would be nice if everyone liked everything but life wouldn't be as interesting.

Like, you know how great it is when you meet someone who loves the same things as you?
Well, it's equally as fun and awesome to meet someone who hates the same things, because you can just rant about them together.

It's sad that people's hatred of a character gets them removed, because it's not fair on the people who like that character, but it's an unfortunate fact of life - The majority always wins, weather it's right or wrong. Don't get me wrong, I wish it wasn't like that - But. That's why we make our own fan clubs, to remember the lost and obscure characters.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 8:50 PM
There are things that come easily, and some might say 'naturally', and there are the things we aspire to. I tend to believe that it isn't natural so much as it is something we allow in our culture (recently). To hate something as trivial as a character in a game reflects poorly on the one who expends their energy on it. I agree with both of you.