3 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7051 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 10:28 PM
Modular stair steps are separate things - it's why if you have a recolourable version, you have to colour each step, one at a time.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7052 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 10:34 PM
Yes each step is a separate mesh which is why when you recolour them you have to recolour one step at a time but means more sims can use them at once.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7053 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 9:33 AM
Raindrop's fake stairs are wonderful. It can be a real pain in the neck to recolor all of the modular steps invisible, but the end result is well worth it.
Lab Assistant
#7054 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 6:38 PM Last edited by salamanderer : 5th Dec 2017 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Update
Default RE: More Sims on Stairs
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Raindrop's fake stairs are wonderful. It can be a real pain in the neck to recolor all of the modular steps invisible, but the end result is well worth it.

Yes, I often use those recolorable stairs, and it is a pain, but, as you said, worth it... if you pick the right color the first time. I often don't, and have to test it out, especially because it's hard to really differentiate between some of them in those small thumbnails.

As for the other posters about the stamping feet reaction: I saw this happen most recently with a set of custom spiral stairs (I can't remember exactly where they came from, and while I *could* search through my downloads to find information, I'm too lazy at the moment)**. Therefore, I'm not sure if/when I last saw it on regular or modular stairs. It could be item specific, but I have seen the reaction so often, that I have become accustomed to pausing the game so I can select and micro-manage my sims on the stairs. I will check out the suggested overlay hack, but I wish it was also for spiral stairs.

+Oh, and I want to add another "Like to see" item here:
Half-sized doors for half-walls to match the existing wood trim. Possibly slaved to the color option of the half-wall. I know I could use a gate, but it just looks weird. My inspiration is an attic bedroom, which has half-walls surrounding the landing up from a ladder. I'd like only the lower portion of a dutch door here or, maybe a "child-gate" type thing. Preferably lockable.

**UPDATE: I am using the Marvine Simple Spiral Stairs from MTS_Michelle. Don't know if I can linkback here, so I won't.
Mad Poster
#7055 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 8:17 PM
I wonder if it'd be possible to induce a chance card system the first time they go to work, and if they fail they get fired.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#7056 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 8:39 PM
there are 4 shipped version careers that require college.
and job levels for all shipped version careers are determined partly by skill and partly by household's number of friends.

I recall one chance card where the sim could potentially get fired. the other choice I take would get the sim demoted.
that chance card is a scripted event for Mary-Sue.
Mad Poster
#7057 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 9:12 PM
There's a couple of chance cards where the Sim can get fired/demoted. They can be frustrating.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7058 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 9:43 PM
Wouldn't be so bad if the choice made was obviously bad not silly.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#7059 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
That, or maybe make certain Maxis jobs have a minimum skill amount before you can enter the career track. That, and make completing college mandatory for them. I'd love to see this!

I could swear that a mod already existed which changed which careers that were college mandatory or not. However I couldn't find it, so maybe this mod by Cyjon will work instead?
Alchemist
#7060 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Prah
I could swear that a mod already existed which changed which careers that were college mandatory or not. However I couldn't find it, so maybe this mod by Cyjon will work instead?

Phaenoh's Uni Major Revamp- Realistic Major to Career Linking. Though with SimPE and its career editor, it's not too hard to figure out how to customize your careers.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#7061 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Phaenoh's Uni Major Revamp- Realistic Major to Career Linking.
Syberspunk wrote a similar mod to Phaenoh's, and it was strongly recommended to me in my University or Not? thread, I believe it has some advantages over Phaenoh's, but I can't remember what. I'll try to post a link in the morning. (It's past my bedtime!)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#7062 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 2:02 AM
MSD (maybesomethingdunno) has a mod on his tumblr I believe that has this ivy where you can "call" a neighbor to come do things for you. I believe gardening is one of them.
Mad Poster
#7063 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 12:46 PM
The hack by Syberspunk I mentioned in my post last month is his Uni Careers Hack here in MATY. Simsfreq recommended it to me in post #108 in my University. . . or not University? Should I or shouldn't I? thread. She prefers it to Phaenoh's mod because it also offers the option to make certain careers require a *specific* degree. See her post #131 in that thread. (My post #112 is also relevant).

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
#7064 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 4:55 PM
Default Like to see... Hacked Tip Jar
I would love to have a hacked/standalone tip jar, which a sim could place in their home or on a business lot without having to perform. Maybe a collection plate sort of thing? I can see its use in public bathrooms, churches, restaurants, etc. Even in a dorm kitchen to collect for food supplies, for example. Something of the kind could work for newly-moved-in sims, as well. Ooh! I can see another related use as child's piggy bank, where visitors and family could add to it. Wasn't there something similar in Sims 1, or is middle age beginning to cloud my brain? (Please... don't answer that.)
Mad Poster
#7065 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 5:37 PM
TSO/FreeSO has one, so I assume it probably did come with TS1 too.
Lab Assistant
#7066 Old 7th Dec 2017 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
TSO/FreeSO has one, so I assume it probably did come with TS1 too.

Ah! Thanks for the reference. It's good to know it wasn't just my imagination.
Instructor
#7067 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Well I was going to add an attribute, get init to set attribute to X number of days, and get main to subtract one every time clock strikes X, and when it reaches zero set price of object to zero. Then get all the guardians for interactions check if attribute is 0 and if it is zero then don't allow the interaction. Maybe toss in a random roll when main reaches 0 to see if it should break, and if not add one so it tries again tomorrow.

Hence the oh boy lots of modding, since it would have to involve all the guardians and stuff. I'm sure there may be easier ways to go about it, but that's the method my brain thought about.

Can the repairman be used for this ? As in counting the number of repartions already done, if the repairman has already repaired it twice, then it won't be repairable the third time it brokes. What do you think about it ? Maybe easier to track down ?

Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Newspaper need to be more useful instead of turning out "pointless trash" that is being littered with by the journalism agencies in every household. All my sims now found a job, I don't keep track on the weather news reports and I rather have sims gain logic through many other effective ways, such as from a chess table.

Perhaps cats could pee on it ? :D

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7068 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 2:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Newspaper need to be more useful instead of turning out "pointless trash" that is being littered with by the journalism agencies in every household. All my sims now found a job, I don't keep track on the weather news reports and I rather have sims gain logic through many other effective ways, such as from a chess table.

You can compost it *composts everything*

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7069 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 2:20 AM
Composting is only useful if you have a garden though.

My sims often read the newspaper autonomously, so I don't have a problem with it not being used.
Mad Poster
#7070 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 2:23 AM
I sometimes have Sims stuff the newspapers in their inventories and them give stacks of them to their gardener friends. BoilingOil also modified the composter so you can sell the compost so it's useful for non-gardeners.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7071 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 2:28 AM
I have a recycling incentive in Coral Bay, sims get free compost bins and $50 when they return them full. The mayor then gives them to the farmers.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7072 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 2:49 AM
Wonder if you could mark a compost bin for sale and run an OFB compost business.
Mad Poster
#7073 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ankoyume
Can the repairman be used for this ? As in counting the number of repartions already done, if the repairman has already repaired it twice, then it won't be repairable the third time it brokes. What do you think about it ? Maybe easier to track down ?

I haven't seen any way to make the Sim remember a specific object that doesn't involve editing the object itself in some way, but perhaps there is some way to use tokens that I am not familiar with Plus I know a lot of people don't hire repairmen and make their Sims repair broken things themselves, and that approach would make the mod pointless for all those simmers, and anyone who does a mix of both. Did you have some approach in mind for how you make the repairman remember that specific object?

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#7074 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 2:52 PM
I'd love to see two, three, or even four-tile versions of the Christmas lights. It gets annoying putting them up tile by tile, and it's even worse taking them down that way.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Instructor
#7075 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 3:38 PM Last edited by ankoyume : 10th Dec 2017 at 3:52 PM.
I haven't seen any way to make the Sim remember a specific object that doesn't involve editing the object itself in some way, but perhaps there is some way to use tokens that I am not familiar with Plus I know a lot of people don't hire repairmen and make their Sims repair broken things themselves, and that approach would make the mod pointless for all those simmers, and anyone who does a mix of both. Did you have some approach in mind for how you make the repairman remember that specific object?

I was thinking instead of coding every kind of objects, you could code only the interaction "repair" (either by the repairman or the sim itself) and it will add the object id of the object repaired to the controller that will count down the whole thing. I realize now that it suppose that all objects use the same "repair" global and I'm not so sure of that. It was just an hypothesis ...

The solution to that problem is to have multiple copies of your The Sims 2-folder. If you rename it to say "The Sims 2 - Historic", the game will think it's not there and generate a new one. Each one is completely separate from any others, so you can have one where you have a hood that only has skintones of your choice, one that has only historic CC, and one with space aliens. It's quite common, especially for people who play medieval games. When you want to play one, you just change the name back to The Sims 2, and that's the folder read by the game.

Lots of perks, like being able to have different defaults depending on what you want in that specific setup, and cutting down on load times by only having CC relevant to the specific thing you do in that game. The only downside is that you have to go in and rename so you load the right one when you play, and if you want to swap hoods while playing and they are in different folders you have to quit and load the other one. And it won't help if you want to make separations between main hood and subhoods, but it's still pretty handy

I've found another way but it is more complex. I use Chris Hatch's A&N ways in order to create my own addon. Then I put all the defaults in this newly created program subfolder. As I create its own shortcut, it's much easier to play but it needs a very lot of modding beforehand (you mustn't use anything else than default or you'll have to create neutral version). It's not worth it if you're not a crasy modder like me (I'm not afraid of long and hard work, and reinstalling game).

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Page 283 of 582