Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 4:33 AM Last edited by t888 : 7th Jan 2016 at 5:49 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Into the Future Bot Workshop reset Error
I just bought Into the Future and installed it, never played it and know very little about it other than some scant 'summarized info' I saw on a site. The time portal appeared in my yard in my homeworld (I forget the name, the tropical island, I think sunset island). I bought some advanced technology like holo easel, TV, computer and the bot workshop. I attempted to build a nainite or whatever - remember this is immediately after installing, and my sim goes toward the workshop and then seems to jump backward without doing anything- what I've seen described elsewhere as 'resetting'- however my sim and his wife CAN woohoo in it. Am I doing something wrong? Also, why is it my sim inspects the time portal thing and it makes a ball of energy and yet my Sim is stuck holding his hands in front of his face like hes afraid and I can't even exit out of it, so I have to use Master Controller to reset him the hard way so he can continue living a sorta normal sim life? I imagined it was supposed to be like the Terminator - when the ball of energy takes form it sucks you through time, in this case into the future. WTH is going on? Is there something wrong with my 'future tech'?

EDIT:

I was just reading on a site that had a LITTLE more info about the time portal that a time traveler guy named Emit appears out of it and give an opportunity named 'Help a Time Traveler Out'. That presents a huge problem. While I was playing a bit after the portal appeared (tthough I didn't see any Emit, only non-family Sim I saw was a paparazzi) I was telling my Sim to take care of his needs, so clicking coffee, food, shower. Somewhere in there an opportunity briefly appeared just as I was clicking, I think the fridge, and I didn't get a chance to see what it said as when I released the mouse seconds later it counted as me clicking some option, I think the 'No' option. I thought little of it as I thought it could be another regular old opportunity, though now that I think about it instead of having a big blue box it was more of a small one which is a bit unusual, more like when a friend calls and wants to chat and yet no one was calling. I assume this was the time traveler opportunity and I assume i hit 'no way' and I then assume it has something to do with why my bot workshop resets my sim and the whole stuck with the inability to stop inspecting the portal thing. If so, how the heck do I fix THAT as I've already saved and quite without even knowing what happened until now?
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 5:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Try a clean run. I've made several things and even a plumbot with that machine, so I know it works.

I was just reading on a site that had a LITTLE more info about the time portal that a time traveler guy named Emit appears out of it and give an opportunity named 'Help a Time Traveler Out'. That presents a huge problem. While I was playing a bit after the portal appeared I was telling my Sim to take care of his needs, so clicking coffee, food, shower. Somewhere in there an opportunity briefly appeared just as I was clicking, I think the fridge, and I didn't get a chance to see what it said as when I released the mouse seconds later it counted as me clicking some option, I think the 'No' option. I thought little of it as I thought it could be another regular old opportunity, though now that I think about it instead of having a big blue box it was more of a small one which is a bit unusual, more like when a friend calls and wants to chat and yet no one was calling. I assume this was the time traveler opportunity and I assume i hit 'no way' and I then assume it has something to do with why my bot workshop resets my sim and the whole stuck with the inability to stop inspecting the portal thing. If so, how the heck do I fix THAT as I've already saved and quite without even knowing what happened until now?
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 6:32 AM
I'm totally confused. One thing got nothing to do with the other.

What you are describing is the opportunity to help Emit prior to departing into the future? That opportunity is optional. I always say no and just go directly into the future.

The machine you are talking about is the one that looks like a huge egg? You can build nanites and plumbots. I built many of those. Are you in the future?

----

I've never tried building future tech in the present world, however even if it is not permitted it shouldn't reset your sim. Resetting has to do with conflict, often mod related. This is why I ask if you ran a clean game.

Well, see I have 2 issues, the bot workshop (yes egg shaped) and a continuous inspecting portal issue. I thought the opportunity might be related to the continuous inspection but apparently not and I figured the not being able to go to the future had something to do with why I couldn't use the bot station in the present but it seems not then.

Yes, I'm in the present and I haven't run a clean game yet, though all my mods are supposed to be up to date. I have nothing that supposed to have anything to do with bot building so, isn't it odd theres a conflict with building nanites but not woohooing using the bot workshop? If a mod is causing conflict, how am I supposed to figure out which one is related to the conflict if that turns out to be the cause, which seems the most likely problem now?
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 9:33 AM
There are many things about a mod that may affect other areas which may not seem related. I just recently dl a mod that force sims to change back to "everyday" clothes when they get home from work and for some reason it broke "autonomous party" in the game. Weird huh?

That is why first thing is always to test a clean game to verify that it is indeed mod related. Unfortunately, after identifying it is a mod issue, the only real method is the 50/50 method. You can use Delphy's dashboard and you may get lucky, however from experience most times they are not detected.

Divide your mods into halves. Put half in the game and test. If the bug persist, then that 1/2 contains the problem mods. Divide that 1/2 into another 1/2 and keep going. If the bug didn't exist, then it is the 1/2 you removed which has the bug, so replace and divide. Process of elimination. It isn't that bad except there have been instances where more than 1 mod is causing the issue. Boy... those are tideous.

Is it alright to do a clean test run by just moving the contents of the mod folder elsewhere while I give it a try?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#9 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 1:47 PM
As regards the bot building station, does your Sim have any unidentified seeds in their inventory?
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 6:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
As regards the bot building station, does your Sim have any unidentified seeds in their inventory?

No, no seeds.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 6:42 AM
Well.. yeah... but sometimes it can be other things in your user folder that's causing it and not from the mod folder. It is simply easier to do it this way b/c it will determine whether it is the game install or something in the user folder.

So, how do you recommend doing it?
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 8:32 AM
just move the whole TS3 user folder to the desktop. Run the game and it will create a brand new one. Play and see if you can reproduce the error. Hopefully everything will run fine, which means your installation is good.

So, if I do that and move my folder back, if there are no problems, will all my sims and their saved games and CC and premium items and all be back to normal? And If the installation is bad, do I simply uninstall and then reinstall or what (I'm guessing its much more complicated)?
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 9:05 AM
Yeah, as long as you don't delete anything, it is always there.

User folder fix is much simpler in comparison to reinstalling your games.

If it is the install do I only have to uninstall and reinstall ITF?
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 7:14 PM
I have no idea at that point, pretty much majority of these issues have to do with the user folder. Rarely had I ever seen problems with the install. However, if the only problem you have is the ITF, it would be logical to only reinstall that.

Just trying to make all the possibilities clear - yeah my only problem is with ITF so far
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 6:45 AM
I have no idea at that point, pretty much majority of these issues have to do with the user folder. Rarely had I ever seen problems with the install. However, if the only problem you have is the ITF, it would be logical to only reinstall that.

Well, you were right. It was a conflict with a mod. Surprisingly, I discovered it very easily doing something unrelated entirely. There was a particular package file type of hair I decided I didn't like after all and I was going through my mod folder to be sure to get rid of it before I moved on to clean run testing. A few files I had to look up to make sure they weren't the one. Anyway, I came to a mod I'd forgotten having and instantly realized it was what was most likely causing the problem. It was Chaavik's Children Can Read Skill Books - Supernatural: 9-23-12. See for a very long time the latest EP I had was Supernatural so I forgot it wasn't updated. There's particular file needed to make it work properly that caused the problem: Chaavik-Skills-SU (Needed to display the skills in the children's Sim panels). I realized it was outdated and so updated the appropriate files myself based upon the 1.67 update (mine) and then removed his outdated one and put my new one in its place. Sure enough I have my sim get his tab out and I see new skills starting with 'Advanced Technology' and then I realized the short time ago I got Island Paradise it was lucky I hadn't gotten around to try diving yet as that skill was also now present but wasn't before... and so was bot making. So, I test the bot workshop and it works. Basically with the outdated file installed the skills needed were simply engineered out of existence, if you will, and so without the skill of course you couldn't use it as it gives a 'non-existent' skill and so resets the sim. Problem solved.

However, I still have *1* problem unrelated: the time portal. My sim inspects the time portal and it makes a ball of energy and yet my Sim is stuck holding his hands in front of his face like hes afraid and I can't even exit out of it, so I have to use Master Controller to reset him the hard way so he can continue living a sorta normal sim life. I imagined it was supposed to be like the Terminator - when the ball of energy takes form it sucks you through time, in this case into the future. I read on a site that had a LITTLE more info about the time portal that a time traveler guy named Emit appears out of it and give an opportunity named 'Help a Time Traveler Out'. While I was playing a bit after the portal appeared (though I didn't see any Emit, only non-family Sim I saw was a paparazzi) and EVERY time I try this, even on a new game with new sims this happens. This time no resets (aside from the Master Controller resets I HAVE to do to unstick him from inspecting the portal).

Do you know a possible cause for this? Or a fix?
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 6:56 PM
Not trying to sound redundant, but did this problem occur during a clean game? Just double checking. 99% of the time it is cc/mod conflict. It is rare when the installation is the problem.

Ah, could still be a problem even without resetting huh? I'll give it a try when I can then and see what happens.