Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 11:15 PM
Default I have Steam (windows) + Sims 3 working under Linux
And I haven't a clue how I did it. I tried doing it under a different user name on my computer, and it was a complete failure.

Let me be a lesson in keeping a good lab book. Everything is in the details.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 14th Jul 2017 at 12:28 AM
I have a stupid question...

There are three files:
S3Launcher.exe
Sims3Launcher.exe
Sims3LauncherW.exe

Which one should I be trying to get to work to get the Launcher to function? I'm trying to install Custom Content but the Launcher doesn't run. I tried the download's dashboard within game, and can log in and see my "The Sims 3" website stuff, but it doesn't install.

I managed to get the NRAAS mod updater to work, but I seem to have broken Steam. Fine. The game still runs.

I took a shot at CC Magic - Fail. I think I have .NET issues.
Test Subject
#3 Old 14th Jul 2017 at 1:06 AM
Try installing vcrun2005, dotnet40 and mfc42 with winetricks (The command is: winetricks vcrun2005 mfc42 dotnet40), then run Sims3LauncherW.exe. That got the launcher running for me. CC Magic still didn't work though.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Jul 2017 at 7:16 PM
That was very helpful! Didn't have the last two installed. Now Wine doesn't crash, but I get this message about a missing run time.

Besides a clue, what am I missing?

Maybe I should work with this... after shutting down Play On Linux and restarting, the launcher window starts to open and then immediately closes.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jul 2017 at 9:14 PM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 14th Jul 2017 at 10:05 PM.
GOT IT!!

There was an error with urlmon.dll. The wine version of this dll was deficient, and didn't have a call.

I replaced it with the windows version, and registered it.

Thank you Mr. aSpeedingRock!

Edit: Had another problem with another DLL, fixed that one too. Now I can install CC from the launcher, but I need to install DRM protected Sims 3 packs (Sims 3 Store stuff) from the Downloads dashboard; but, it crashes the game every time I install something, but it gets installed. I should probably debug it some more.

Edit edit: Yes, it crashes every time, but if I wait, I can install something else and it will crash again. It isn't really fatal crashing. So, I can install!