Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#301 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 4:06 AM Last edited by madmaud94 : 1st Oct 2015 at 12:14 AM.
I'm watching Star Trek TNG (sixth season! Almost there!) alternately with Star Trek DS9, and honestly, TNG is so boring. DS9 reminds me more of my favourite show of all time, Babylon 5 (even heard DS9 was a copycat), and TNG is honestly just so dull, especially in comparison. I just want to finish it, watch Generations, and move on to DS9 and Voyager. Bleh.

EDIT:
sorry to TNG fans who think I'm bashing--I really do like the show to a degree (why else would I watch it this long) and some of the characters are quite endearing (Data is one of the best, and Worf is hilarious) but on an episode-by-episode basis, I am really worn out by these wooden morality plays where most of the characters are very dull and predictably perfect most of the time, and the set looks like an '80s retirement cruise ship to match them in dullness. Other than that, the show is fine.
Advertisement
Scholar
#302 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 12:30 AM
Well my current Netflix go-to is Lie to Me. Currently about half way through season 2. It's nice having Monica Raymund back on my screen, I hadn't realised how much I'd missed her since I quit watching the Chicago shows.

As for currently airing stuff, I'm delighted to have Agents of SHIELD back as of yesterday. It was a great season premiere that really made me realise how much I've missed that show. Fear The Walking Dead is coming to the end of its first season now, and while I'm not blown away by it, I am liking it. Fingers crossed that both of the Clark kids make it through the finale alive!

Of course there's about fifty billion other shows I'm watching, (How To Get Away With Murder, Grey's Anatomy, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Chasing Life, to name a few) and a bunch more that I'm eagerly waiting the return of (The 100!!!!, UnReal, Sense8, iZombie, The Fosters, countless others) but those will do for now

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Mad Poster
#303 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 12:13 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 14th Oct 2015 at 8:16 AM. Reason: More info
Sailor Moon (original Japanese footage, New dub)

I know it goes against the consensus of popular opinion...But the dub by Viz is rather well-thought-out on a few sides:

1.) As Naoko Takeuchi, the mother of the brainchild that is Sailor Moon, is the high authority, she chooses who will voice what characters. Coincidentally, years before the revival, I made a list of voice actors who could have done the job after spending years watching fansubs and phrasing the voice and script in my head. I don't have the cast list anymore, but it was like I could be a good advisor to Mrs. Takeuchi (she married Yu Yu Hakusho's author and they have a son)

2.) The video is untouched for the most part.
In the original Japanese and Pioneer\Geneon version, it would start with a 15 second preview ending will Sailor Moon saying "In the name of the Moon, I'll punish you", then the opening sequence, sometime a profile, recap or extension, depending on where you are in the story, next is the title, followed by Part A, the eyecatch (so called because it is to tell you the commercial segments are starting\ending, then Part B, the ending credits and (JP versions) a preview for next week's episode, all without extensive cuts to black.

In ADV and Viz's presentation
The 15-second preview is edited to fit between the opening sequence and the pretitle featurette, there are distinct cuts to black and (in ADV's presentation), the previews were cut.

Geeky I know, but I actually bought the Japanese DVDs even when the yen was extremely strong

There are no signs of digital paint. No noticeable difference from the footage beyond sequencing of order.

3.) Very few deviations from the Japanese version.
A point of contention in one episode, which was pivotal in team relationships, was that in the DiC dub, they wrote Sailor Mars as a firey, power-hungry bitch that they wrote that she took away Sailor Moon's weapon when in the Japanese and the Viz version she was given the weapon as a sign of trust when they were fighting a Ninja monster

Also a rather big nitpick is that in the episode "Learn to be Skinny from Usagi", a ton of mentions in Japanese for "slim" or "skinny" were censored to say "fit" or "in shape" in the American version. Funny, because I am one of the 2/3 of America who is slowly losing weight and CAN'T fit into any clothes at trendy boutiques at this current point of 250lbs.

4.) The characters original names and personalities are restored.

Aside from Jewish Brooklyn accents and outdated slang from the original airing in 1995, even for 1995, the personalities were exaggerated and the names Anglicized as well as the voices were warped.

This new dub treated the show with more respect for fans of the Japanese versions they saw either through fansubs or hulu and treated it as a release that coincided with the manga release of Codename: Sailor V in America and the rerelease of the manga using the 2003 revisions (details were added to fit with the times such as floppy disks to CDs and retouched uniforms)

5.) Episodes dropped from the dub show up.

About 6 episodes' worth of footage (not counting the minor cuts to please standards and practices) in the first season. 5 were full episodes that had delinquent behavior, was dropped for swimsuit episodes (in spite of the fact they were one piece) and scary imagery and showed a mature look at one of the Guardians and her willing to let her old friend take her ex as she realized their happiness.

The last one combine a two-part finale from the end of the first season and dropped about roughly 11 minutes worth of footage from both episodes to hide the fact they, all 6 warriors were killed in battle and the excuse given for the disappearance was the guardians were kidnapped.

6. They are releasing all 200 episodes, which includes the once-forbidden Sailor Stars season, the movies and the specials that aired before the R and SuperS movies and the SuperS special that aired over the course of an hour-long block.

Out of the original dub, which ended at the end of SuperS, only the movies proper (R, S, SuperS) were translated.

So far I am up to Episode 68, which is in the R season after the anime-exclusive Makaiju arc used to fill for time. Episode 68 is pivotal in the promise the Sailor Guardians make to Chibiusa, who is targeted by the Black Moon Clan's intentions to fill Juuban District with dark energy and kill Chibiusa.

Those last two words are practically fodder for mutilation of a little girl who is only acting out to get help because of the dire circumstances set before her and the basic knowledge of who to turn to.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Theorist
#304 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 2:58 PM
Finished Narcos, started Vikings. Not sure how I feel about it yet, kind of hard to root for a protagonist who kills innocent people, but I guess that's vikings for ya. I think I'm in love with Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick) though. :lovestruc

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#305 Old 15th Oct 2015 at 7:57 PM
I've been watching the new CBS show Code Black and I'm really liking it. Two out of the first three episodes have managed to bring me to tears, which is pretty impressive, so I'm really hoping that it gets an increased episode order soon.

jus nou drein jus daun
Mad Poster
#306 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 9:07 PM
I see that Netflix is going to be doing Gilmore Girls! and Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel and Scott Patterson are on board.
Scholar
#307 Old 20th Oct 2015 at 10:31 PM Last edited by Noa1500 : 21st Oct 2015 at 10:25 AM.
Holy flip season 2 of How To Get Away With Murder has started 😱😱😱😱😱
Arg! I don't know what to do! *grabs cheeks* Its 23:30 should I start watching? Nevermind I NEED to watch them now!

Edit: I watched all four episodes, it was brilliant :D
Mad Poster
#308 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 6:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
Holy flip season 2 of How To Get Away With Murder has started 😱😱😱😱😱
Arg! I don't know what to do! *grabs cheeks* Its 23:30 should I start watching? Nevermind I NEED to watch them now!

Edit: I watched all four episodes, it was brilliant :D

It's worth staying up late for TGIT/Shondaland shows! :P

Anyways, shows I'm obsessed with? The Middle! Currently on season 4.
Mad Poster
#309 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 7:01 PM
Just got drawn into Turn, another "dark, gritty" drama on AMC, in this case, an abridged telling of the story of the Culper spy ring on Long Island during the American Revolution. Since my family was in Massachusetts during the revolution, and I had an ancestor in the militia and the Continental Army, I always love Revolutionary War stories (even if they do take a few liberties with history!)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Instructor
#310 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 8:00 AM
I am working my way through Forever as I make my Blurays of it since an official release doesn't seem like it is ever going to happen

I know it is kind of a rip off of Highlander but the writing is really good at making me believe that the character comes from the time period he is supposed to come from and I am a big fan of the lead actor who's name I can sadly never remember how to spell, I have been since he did the series Hornblower and was great in that.

It's too bad ABC never gave it a chance by sticking it in such a bad time slot as it is exactly the type of light, fun mystery show with a bit of a twist and just a little drama. Plus I found that the flashbacks worked really well and helped the show stand out from the glut of other police shows out there. I could go on but that would make this post way too long, maybe I will make a Youtube video some day explaining why I enjoy this show so much.
As I said it is a shame ABC never really gave it a chance(Still it doesn't seem to have done any worse then any other show they run on Tueday nights this year), but I have chosen not to focus on that but instead enjoy the episodes I have and I enjoyed them last year when they aired and I am enjoying rewatching them as I make my Blu rays this year.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Instructor
#311 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 8:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by madmaud94
I'm watching Star Trek TNG (sixth season! Almost there!) alternately with Star Trek DS9, and honestly, TNG is so boring. DS9 reminds me more of my favourite show of all time, Babylon 5 (even heard DS9 was a copycat), and TNG is honestly just so dull, especially in comparison. I just want to finish it, watch Generations, and move on to DS9 and Voyager. Bleh.

EDIT:
sorry to TNG fans who think I'm bashing--I really do like the show to a degree (why else would I watch it this long) and some of the characters are quite endearing (Data is one of the best, and Worf is hilarious) but on an episode-by-episode basis, I am really worn out by these wooden morality plays where most of the characters are very dull and predictably perfect most of the time, and the set looks like an '80s retirement cruise ship to match them in dullness. Other than that, the show is fine.

Oh yeah, DS9 was a copy cat. I grew up with DS9 and TNG, not B5 and I love all three shows but Paramount invited JMS to pitch B5 to them and he did so, even going so far as to give them a copy of the series bible along with an outline of the some of the plot arcs planned for the first season. Paramount rejected the show but then when Warner Brothers picked it up Paramount rushed Ds9 into production so it would come out before B5 and JMS was forced to change some of his plot ideas and character backgrounds because what DS9 did was so close to what he outlined in that early series bible and DS9 aired first so he was afraid B5 would come off as a DS9 rip off. Heck I have been watching Ds9 lately and even in latter episodes it feels like the writers were watching B5 and then just doing their own versions of major plot points B5 had the season before.

Still both shows became their own thing and I still love them and I have fond memories of getting up at five AM on Saturday mornings to tape every episode of Ds9 because I didn't trust the time recorder on my family's VCR.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Scholar
#312 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 6:11 PM
I started watching The Americans a few weeks ago. Set during the cold war (late 1970s or early 1980s), the main characters are (Soviet spies) are living in the States as an average American family with a nice house in the suburbs. Life looks very stressful in their situation (mostly cos you know if they get caught they'd be executed). Its one of those shows where watching 1 episode at a time is enough because of all the feels in one episode
Instructor
#313 Old 8th Nov 2015 at 1:24 AM
I'll have to give it a shot, that sounds like a very interesting series. I wonder if the plot arc will show one of the real problems the soviets had with agents based in the united states, that is that a lot of them would drop out of contact or be turned once they got to the states because they got used to the better living conditions in the United States. That would be an interesting conflict to see the characters go through, the conflict between loyalty to their country and wanting a better life. Now don't get me wrong the Soviets were much better at turning Americans who lived here then Americans were at turning soviets who lived in the soviet union, but they did have a real problem with keeping agents who came over here from the soviet union loyal. At any rate thanks for bringing this up because I have never heard of this show(I don't have cable or high speed internet so I miss out on a lot unless I happen to find it on DvD at the library)but now I will keep an eye out for it because it sounds great.

As for the feeling like one episode thing I have gone through that twice in my life. The first time was when I got season three of Babylon 5 for the first time on DvD, everything was so intense that I ended up staying up all day and all night and watching the whole season in one go. The second I am going through right now and it that I am working my way through Twin Peaks and if it were not for the fact that I had to wait for discs to get checked in at the library I would be watching it all in one go because it feels like one intense and yet very funny story and even the episodes I was told were "bad" I still like better then then most shows I have ever watched. I can't really explain it but I find the show to be the most intense and yet also laugh out loud funny I have ever seen and it feels like both were done on purpose somehow.

I love it when a show hooks me from start to finish and I will keep an eye out for The Americans because it sounds like exactly the type of show I love, thanks for posting about it.

My PC specs.
Instructor
#314 Old 8th Nov 2015 at 1:35 AM
Oh and one more thing about Forever. Judd Hursh and Ioan Gruffudd(I really hope I am spelling those names right)are amazing in it. They really pull off the whole reverse father son bond without it feeling forced and they seem to have a lot of fun playing off of each other. Watching the series for the second time is really making these moments stand out. It's worth noting that the same people writing and producing this show also did Chuck I show I only just discovered a year ago(No NBC over the air station in my area sadly)and it is one of my favorite shows of all time now because of it's character interactions and humor. I know from the ratings these types of shows have a limited appeal but for some reason they just scratch a special itch for me and I am glad this writing team is out there making stuff that appeals to fringe viewers like me.

But honestly I think Forever is worth watching just for the Gruffudd/Hursh scenes alone. I really am horrible at remembering how names are spelled so sorry if I got them wrong.

Okay I will shut up about Forever now, it's just I am watching the episodes in order to put chapter markers in them for my home made Blu rays and there are a lot of little moments I missed the first time through that are making me like the show a lot more then I did the first time around so it is my obsession right now even if there will never be any new episodes. I don't care a lot of great shows got fewer episodes so I am really enjoying what I have. Still I know I am the only fan out there for the show so I will stop clogging up this thread with posts about it

My PC specs.
Theorist
#315 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 9:33 PM
We've been streaming NCIS on Netflix. It's gruesome watching for dinner time and the plots so similar, but well done.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#316 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 10:10 PM
Daredevil, the first Netflix original that I've actually really enjoyed! I'm one of those terrible people who loves the Marvel movies and associated universe, but couldn't really care less about the comic books, sorry! But I liked Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter, so I figured I'd give another MCU show a try. It's actually a pretty great show, and it doesn't really try too hard to tie in with the events of other films and shows (so far, at least). All there's been are a few passing references to the Battle of New York in the Avengers... aside from that, it's quite happy being its own show, and a good one at that!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#317 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 5:44 PM
I watched another episode of How To Get Away With Murder. Probably the most intense episode this season.

Test Subject
#318 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 2:48 PM
Black Books and Antiques Road Trip c:
Scholar
#319 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 7:40 PM
Well, like many people, I recently spent some time binge watching Jessica Jones on Netflix. And it definitely gets the thumbs up from me!

And yesterday I started watching the Australian comedy Please Like Me, and so far I'm really liking it!

jus nou drein jus daun
Instructor
#320 Old 29th Nov 2015 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TumaSims
Yes, Minister . I love britcoms and this is very well done, hilarious and in many cases still very relevant.

I started watching this as a kid on PBS and it is so good not only did it hold my attention when it is mostly just three guys talking but you know what it is still one of smartest shows ever made. It tackles complex political issues with a fine touch and looks at them as problems that extend beyond just one side being good and the other being bad, and it hardly ever resorts to painting anyone as an evil person, just self interested and that is something every member of the human race is guilty of as the show goes out of it's way to show. I have yet to see a political drama that tackles the issues touched on by this show as well as it does. Most dramas you can tell who's side the writer is on and the other side is painted as blood sucking monsters who have no humanity, but this show knows that it is the fact that everyone is human and has the same failings that leads to great comedy and interesting stories and episodes like "Big Brother" are more relevant today then they were when the show aired. Truly this is one of the ten greatest shows ever made and if you want an example of how to make a good sitcom with a small cast that only really uses standing sets and doesn't feel cheap, this is the best example I can think of.

I have started watching Chuck again, sadly I only discovered this great and hugely under rated show after it was canceled but it is so well done and it has the perfect mix of humor and action and every time I watch an episode I always seem to spot a joke I missed the first time around. I consider this a timeless classic and if you want to watch a show that will pull you out of feeling depressed and yet still have some good action scenes this is the show to watch. I know it is not for everyone but this show seems to get all the parts that are required to hook me on a show in exactly the right amount and very few shows have done that, so even if there is a weaker episode here and there is doesn't bother me because over all the show fills a gap that no other show in my collection does and it makes me smile every time I watch it even if my depression has made it really hard to get out of bed and not snap at people all day, now that is good TV if you ask me.

My PC specs.
Forum Resident
#321 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 4:47 PM
Orphan black, Orange is the new black, Monty Python's flying circus, QI.
Theorist
#322 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 4:25 PM
On Season 3 of Vikings and I'm loving it. I've grown to enjoy it as much as Game of Thrones. Highly recommend.

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#323 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 6:15 PM
I just randomly came across Moon Beam City. Its an animated tv show, from Comedy Central. Its so cringe worthy, so 80s, so... I love it :D
Lab Assistant
#324 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 2:50 AM
I've been hopelessly devoted to Pretty Little Liars for about the last year, actually. I'm also probably one of very few who were impressed by the summer finale's -A reveal.

However, in light of my favorite hunk Brant Daugherty (AKA Noel Kahn/Brian from DoOL) getting his own show.. that's probably going to become my next guilty pleasure.
Mad Poster
#325 Old 19th Dec 2015 at 4:22 PM
Rewatching Archer and HIMYM on Netflix.
Archer because I was trying to show it to a friend and got re-hooked, and HIMYM because it's only just come on Netflix UK (literally 2 days after I bought the box set)

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Page 13 of 21