Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#601 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 11:24 PM
I've been given a 4 in requirement from judge 2 despite every required object being there. What am I supposed to learn from that? How do I improve that in the next round? And why am I missing points over an object that is fully usable? I get that judge 2 might not have known about SEP, but now you do. If you're going to penalize me for it, I'd much rather you take my no CC bonus and count it as having used CC, because that would at least be somewhat true.

Changing table I can understand. I wasn't aware that judges make their own definition of what the want-category means. And that also explains why two judges deducted 2 points, and one deducted 1. That I can learn from and improve on in the next round.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#602 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 11:44 PM
@gummilutt Your score is being looked into. I have sent a pm to judge 2 asking for clarification.

I just posted back to clear up why the toaster oven lost you points. Right above, mods to make something usable are not allowed. It's in the scoring section under playability. So no, in a CC free game it's not usable. That is the judges criteria with deco items being the exception.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#603 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 11:53 PM
Okay. Please clarify. When you say "not usable", does that mean something different than functional? The appliance is functional. It will not cause foot stomping, it will work, in a completely CC free environment. If you don't believe me try it for yourself.

I'm serious. I would much MUCH rather you take away the no cc bonus and call it a breach of no CC rules, or abusing a loophole. I'm perfectly happy accepting that I was not allowed to use that to my advantage, but please stop calling it "not usable" when it is usable. Drives my OCPD up the wall.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#604 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 11:59 PM
I'm very confused, which is why I pm'd the judge. As far as I know toaster ovens on a corner are not usable/will cause foot stomping, but you say they are? In a mod free game? I am not sure on what SEP is but that sounds like a mod made by somebody, which falls under mods that make things usuable.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#605 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:06 AM
What Gummillut seem to be saying is that..once placed with SEP, it is usable without having to download SEP. So usable as normal, in an unmodded/cc free game.
This is what I understand anyway. Now what the heck is SEP..I have no idea.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#606 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:08 AM
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=144021

This very much falls under the rule of 'mods that make things accessible' same as inaccessible beds and tv on corners. As such it falls under playability. Toaster ovens on corners, or coffee makers, juicers etc will be docked playability points. Sorry that one stands.

Now adding after staff room chat the ceiling light fix, the one that makes that little light stay flush to the ceiling. That is also not allowed. We figure if SEP isn't allowed that shouldn't be either.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#607 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:18 AM
Wait... I can Win a tiny blue ribbon? You ALL are going DOWN.

I'm just kidding.
Mad Poster
#608 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:19 AM
SEP means slot enabler package, by Numenor. It fixes the broken slot alignment on counters when they make a corner, which normally prevents appliances on counters to be functional. With the fix the slot is in the right place and the appliance becomes usable. But you only need SEP to place the object there, once it's there it will remain there and remain functional even if SEP is removed.

Quote:
Mods to make things usable do not count (inaccessible beds) the beds/items have to be accessed without mods.

I just figured that it would fall within the rules of the contest, because no mod is actually required to use it. It's only needed to access the slot, the code required to make object functional is the regular counter code and that's part in any game without CC.

Some enhance their lot with actual building skill, I enhanced mine with mod knowledge By all means, decide that it's not allowed. But why are you docking it from playability when it doesn't affect playability? It's using CC, so take it away from CC. Please? :lovestruc

Field Researcher
#609 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:31 AM Last edited by MystAngel : 24th Apr 2017 at 10:21 AM.
I feared someone might get hurt and be left feeling like treated unfairly. I feel for gummilutt, but I also don't think judges feel very nice when they see they're causing discontent. Honestly, at first I thought judging a building contest sounded very interesting, but now I'm not so sure. I'm too emotional, I fear causing someone discomfort might break me for a while. Judging obviously needs integrity and internal strength and is not easy at all! Judges were actually a bit stricter than I expected. That doesn't mean I think they were unfair, I was simply surprised how straightforward and un-fake they were. It can be seen they were honest, transparent and quite openly voiced their preferences. Of course they were subjective, but I can't imagine it being otherwise. I think gummilutt should be allowed to defend her opinion and ask judges to reassess, but I would also prefer if she could try not to be upset too much.
The judges elaborated in detail, so I believe they did their best to be helpful and that can certainly be useful in future rounds. I still haven't read all the comments, but I definitely will. I noticed Voeille will be ranked first after the application, and I'm very pleased with that, because her entry was my favorite from that round. I suppose I'm allowed to openly say that now, when the scores are up, and when the judges can't be influenced. Congratulations, @Voeille .

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Query: Not to shoot myself in the foot, but shouldn't using the CC get me a 0 for the whole round, since no CC was a requirement for the round?

I clicked love on this post, not because I would want you to lose all points (absolutely not!), but because you are so sweet, straight and honest.. I found this post absolutely adorable, especially since both the judges and the host gave their final words (and they obviously decided NOT to give you 0 points, since this was an honest mistake), but the way you reminded them at your own expense was precious. :lovestruc I imagine you're like this in real life too, and that is a very valuable trait.

Also I was amazed moderators noticed that wallpaper at all. I wouldn't. I still can't always differentiate and recognize all the stuff from game and definitely wouldn't be able to hunt for it looking at pictures, that sounds like such time-consuming and tiresome task! I'm not sure if it's allowed, but I would prefer if I could ask the contestants to send me lot files so I could scan them with clean installer.

About the curtains: curtains were too expensive for my starter lot too. That's why I made sure to make window colors match the interior colors (walls and furniture). I had hoped I could create an illusion the windows were part of the décor .

About craftables: I noticed this Jo's rule today:
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Craftables such as easel painting, photographs, things made on work benches and growable Seasons plants may be done after your lot is finished from your sims own money. Finish your lot, take a picture showing the price then move in sims to make the craftables. If you want to use buyable craftables, those must be placed during the build and are part of the budget.

I won't be able to use HugeLunatic's mods after all, it wouldn't be profitable since the point of using them is to save money. But I guess that's fair. Craftables seem too cheaty even if obtained the regular way, so I'm happy they're allowed at all.
Mad Poster
#610 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
SEP means slot enabler package, by Numenor. It fixes the broken slot alignment on counters when they make a corner, which normally prevents appliances on counters to be functional. With the fix the slot is in the right place and the appliance becomes usable. But you only need SEP to place the object there, once it's there it will remain there and remain functional even if SEP is removed.

I just figured that it would fall within the rules of the contest, because no mod is actually required to use it. It's only needed to access the slot, the code required to make object functional is the regular counter code and that's part in any game without CC.

Some enhance their lot with actual building skill, I enhanced mine with mod knowledge By all means, decide that it's not allowed. But why are you docking it from playability when it doesn't affect playability? It's using CC, so take it away from CC. Please? :lovestruc

She has a point there. (No pun intended)

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#611 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:39 AM
Look at it this way. If I am a brand new player, greener than grass and I just installed the game and have zero mods, can I use this item? If the answer is no, then its not allowed.

Hahah @Sweet Mystre You can see one under my name. That's right, a highly sort after blue ribbon! As you can see we are playing for deadly stakes here.

@gummilutt if you have all the requirements in place you will be getting a 5. It's also tricky for judges. They have a lot to remember and many people to score. They are aware that everyone is waiting and might be rushing.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#612 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:51 AM
Look at it this way. If I am a brand new player, greener than grass and I just installed the game and have zero mods, can I use this item? If the answer is no, then its not allowed.

Yes, you can. If you download my lot for your greener than grass game you can use the item.

if you have all the requirements in place you will be getting a 5. It's also tricky for judges. They have a lot to remember and many people to score. They are aware that everyone is waiting and might be rushing.

I get that, of course judges are humans and can miss things. All I wanted was an explanation, and if appropriate, a repeal of the incorrect score. I don't mind being dead last, but I want to be there for the right reasons.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#613 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:55 AM
No downloads, that's the thing. I think I have explained this enough now.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#614 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:59 AM
I know I'll be redoing round 2 submission with lots of changes. If I get points of 1 for decorating within the budget in round 1 but can use craftables after moving in a Sim and that looks better and judged higher- I'll be doing it. Makes no never mind- seems wrong but thems the rules.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#615 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 1:03 AM
I know my craftable rules might seem strange. I am allowing spawned items but not spawned craftables. I just think it's nice if the family makes them, it also means you (general you not aimed at anybody) put effort into getting them. This might make no sense to anybody but myself but I want the craftables to reflect the family story not your decorating skills.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#616 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 1:07 AM Last edited by gazania : 24th Apr 2017 at 1:18 AM.
I am reaching a compromise with the curtains. I am making every possible effort not to use CC (Soooo miss the Holy Simoly curtains I use to excess, or the adjustable blinds on this site.) My cabin is a little more modern, I'm using full windows, and with cats, using full, luscious curtains is not the best idea. I'm trying to use some actual pet tips.

http://www.adoptapet.com/blog/do-ca...curtains-exist/

With window treatments (looks longingly at the blinds, but no, Gazania! You need every blasted point that you can get!), the shorter Maxis ones are way too short and look silly as anything. But I do have the longer Maxis curtains in the bedrooms only. They are kind of thick-looking, but blackout curtains aren't a bad idea with full windows and a sunny exposure. The Newmans are supposed to lock their doors so the kitties can't get in (I believe that's a Maxis feature ... I'll have to check), but I'm not responsible if you forget, Paul and Joanne!

As for getting custom paintings in this contest cabin, I've had to reconfigure the layout for the 8th or 9th time (about 3 or 4 times since I yanked the lot). This time I found out, because I don't usually play dogs, that you need more room than usual to bathe them indoors (grumble, grumble), I'm having Paul in the older version of the cabin paint as fast as he can. The poor guy is not happy with my keeping him awake and almost starving. Once I finally have the routing issues moved, I will package the new version and move in and test them in the new version of the cabin. I'm using the old cabin to check a few other routing issues. I read that moving Sims in and out of places are bad ... these poor folks moved twice already. Good thing this is not my good game!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#617 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 1:08 AM
Don't forget your family can sew curtains if you really want them.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#618 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 1:08 AM
No, no- It's fine @joandsarah77 It's just my tiny competitive streak showing and my knowing how things work.

So, it won't help my score to show families with all the crafted decor and write up a nice description of the lot?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#619 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 1:14 AM
It might do, I don't do any judging remember. I was just trying to show why my craftable rule is how it is. I would rather a quilt be on the wall because mum made it for her first baby rather than its there because I ran out of money and that wall looks so bare so I stuck it on there. But I also realize this is a contest so yes having a quilt over a bare wall will probably help your score as well.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#620 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 1:20 AM
Oh, sorry. I thought it was your challenge so you set the judge guidelines.
No worries. Just to let you know, I'm having fun with the challenge. I like building in TS2.
Mad Poster
#621 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 1:25 AM Last edited by gazania : 24th Apr 2017 at 1:43 AM.
I'm going to have to read about craftables here because I now have the family on another lot., before I buy the sewing machine and start Joanne sewing up a storm. (Paul went to the easel first, so I'm nourishing or is it exploiting? ... his artistic proclivities. Poor Paul. I hope I don't kill this dude before I finally get all routing and budget issues resolved in the new version.) There are easels on both the previous version, where the family is staying, and the new version, which is currently unoccupied, so that's not cheating. The easels on both lots were figured into the price.

I am concerned that the sewing machine might be cheaty in the Newman's current house, since it's not in the contest version. Really, I don't want to put a foot wrong here since I'm not exactly leading everyone by 30 points (not even close).

Let me read this again and make sure I'm understanding all this.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#622 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 1:33 AM
@MystAngel thank you I haven’t read all the comments yet so I didn’t know I got the highest score I will probably post pictures of that house after I edit it for Tank Grunt (similarly to Ripp he and his fiancée have about 63k [probably a bit less now, because he went and bought an expensive robot in Vidcund’s shop ], so I will be able to afford a nice garden).

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#623 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:05 AM
I haven't read all the comments either, so I didn't know!
Congrats talented Voeille!!!!

Mad Poster
#624 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:06 AM
Oh, gloom, despair, and misery on me! I upgraded my BG AGS through M&G and put both houses into it, so I could package an actual CC-free lot of the bungalow to upload later, and to confirm that I hadn't used any CC into the Rhodes house by accident. And apparently the grungy carpet, some of the terrain paint, and their lovely pebble-shell ceiling were all extracted from Life Stories! Hmph! Now I need to decide whether I want these things enough to warrant losing the CC bonus on purpose. If I replace the grungy carpet with a 1-dollar industrial-looking one, and put starry carpet on the ceiling instead, I can put a few flowers near the trailer entrance, but the trailer looks far less shabby-glorious, and I had to repaint the guest room because the teal didn't look right anymore. Well, I have a few days to think about it.

More seriously, I'm finding that the Tab-R trick is not getting rid of the grid lines. Any suggestions?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#625 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:07 AM
I didn't look at all of them to see who has the highest ~ Congrats @Voeille !

Page 25 of 106