Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2018 at 9:33 PM
Default Strange lines in cc hair?? help!
Im having an issue with a cc hair in game, along with some other hairs but ill use this one as an example. In cas and close up in game the hair looks great, but as soon as i zoom out theres a bunch of white lines running through the hair. Its not those chunk blonde streaks alpha hair gets when laptop mode is on. its very thin lines. Im not sure if this is an issue with the hair mesh itself and it will look like this on everyones game, or if its an issue on my end.

Maybe someone who has this hair already could let me know if it looks the same for you, or if someone could test it out in their game that would be super helpful.

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Aug 2018 at 10:11 PM
If it's a custom alpha hair (not a solid mesh like the default TS4 hairs), it could be bad layering of the mesh that creates lines in the texture. It usually happens because the game thinks one of the lower layers should be further up. I haven't played with alpha hairs in TS4, but this is a fairly common issue for alpha hairs in TS2 (and I think I've also seen it a few times in TS3).

Could also be an alpha bleeding issue, since alpha hairs aren't incorporated properly in TS4.

There's a chance it could be some kind of graphics issue, though I'm not familiar enough with those in TS4 to say exactly what it can be (I haven't played in quite a while). Some similar graphic issues have carried over from game to game, though.

If it only happens on that distance, it doesn't look too problematic, and I can hardly see it in the picture (though I'm assuming it's a bit worse on your screen).

If you post a link to the original download, it may be easier for us to tell what's going on, and whether or not the issue happens in other people's games. It's hard to tell which hair it is from that distance.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Aug 2018 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If it's a custom alpha hair (not a solid mesh like the default TS4 hairs), it could be bad layering of the mesh that creates lines in the texture. It usually happens because the game thinks one of the lower layers should be further up. I haven't played with alpha hairs in TS4, but this is a fairly common issue for alpha hairs in TS2 (and I think I've also seen it a few times in TS3).

Could also be an alpha bleeding issue, since alpha hairs aren't incorporated properly in TS4.

There's a chance it could be some kind of graphics issue, though I'm not familiar enough with those in TS4 to say exactly what it can be (I haven't played in quite a while). Some similar graphic issues have carried over from game to game, though.

If it only happens on that distance, it doesn't look too problematic, and I can hardly see it in the picture (though I'm assuming it's a bit worse on your screen).

If you post a link to the original download, it may be easier for us to tell what's going on, and whether or not the issue happens in other people's games. It's hard to tell which hair it is from that distance.

Yes it is an alpha hair, i know it doesnt look much like it from that photo because its black, it tends to look more solid, but its only visible on dark hair swatches.

hmmm, do you know of a way that it could be fixed? or would that require going in and rearranging the entire mesh again?

Yeah it is a bit worse on my screen in person, although there are other hairs that it happens to and does look alot worse, almost unusable for me.

Here are just a couple links to hairs that this happens to pretty badly in my game.

https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...air/id/1404661/ (hair in the photo)
https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...ren/id/1414434/
https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...air/id/1364285/

If anyone has these hairs in game, or could quickly download them and test in their game and let me know if this is an issue on their end as well it would be greatly appreciated. (check in game with a dark hair colour such as dark brown or black)
Forum Resident
#4 Old 27th Aug 2018 at 11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BieberFever975
Yes it is an alpha hair, i know it doesnt look much like it from that photo because its black, it tends to look more solid, but its only visible on dark hair swatches.

hmmm, do you know of a way that it could be fixed? or would that require going in and rearranging the entire mesh again?

Yeah it is a bit worse on my screen in person, although there are other hairs that it happens to and does look alot worse, almost unusable for me.

Here are just a couple links to hairs that this happens to pretty badly in my game.

https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...air/id/1404661/ (hair in the photo)
https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...ren/id/1414434/
https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...air/id/1364285/

If anyone has these hairs in game, or could quickly download them and test in their game and let me know if this is an issue on their end as well it would be greatly appreciated. (check in game with a dark hair colour such as dark brown or black)

Have you also tried batch fixing your alpha hairs with Sims4Studio?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 12:17 AM
Could be a problem with high-poly hairs. They can cause problems in all three games. Some of the hairs found at TSR are very high-poly, so be careful with those. The ones you've linked range from 25-35k on the highest settings - and they may not be among the worst I've seen, but it's still quite high if there are several sims using them on the lot, and particularly if you're playing on a low-to-medium range laptop.

It says underneath:
"To enjoy the hair properly in game:
+set the sims details to very high
+make sure you've updated your game to the latest patch
+turn laptop mode off"

So make sure you've done that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chicvibe
Have you also tried batch fixing your alpha hairs with Sims4Studio?

Yes i have, but even newly released hairs will do this too
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Could be a problem with high-poly hairs. They can cause problems in all three games. Some of the hairs found at TSR are very high-poly, so be careful with those. The ones you've linked range from 25-35k on the highest settings - and they may not be among the worst I've seen, but it's still quite high if there are several sims using them on the lot, and particularly if you're playing on a low-to-medium range laptop.

It says underneath:
"To enjoy the hair properly in game:
+set the sims details to very high
+make sure you've updated your game to the latest patch
+turn laptop mode off"

So make sure you've done that.

Yes i have done those steps, my settings have always been set to very high and high. and laptop mode is never on. my computer runs sims pretty well. never lags or freezes even with almost every DLC pack/expansion and 10gb of cc.

Is there anything i could do to try and make high poly hairs show up better in game?
Forum Resident
#8 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 1:16 AM
do you have hair accessories in-game? I recently had some issues (slightly different, but you should check) with Plumbob Tea Society's hair accessories either rustic romance or cottage garden pack. The accessories were in my downloads folder, but I wasn't actively using them, and I would get these weird streaks in hair. After I took the accessories out, no problem. Idk what other suggestions, as I don't have a lot of alpha hairs, and the ones I do seem to be mostly fine.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Aug 2018 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chicvibe
do you have hair accessories in-game? I recently had some issues (slightly different, but you should check) with Plumbob Tea Society's hair accessories either rustic romance or cottage garden pack. The accessories were in my downloads folder, but I wasn't actively using them, and I would get these weird streaks in hair. After I took the accessories out, no problem. Idk what other suggestions, as I don't have a lot of alpha hairs, and the ones I do seem to be mostly fine.

I do but the sims are not wearing them, i have even tried taking all mods/cc out of my game and testing it with only adding the hairs in and it was still the same
Smeg Head
#10 Old 31st Aug 2018 at 11:46 PM
Check if the sim is wearing a hat. Some CC hairs do not allow hats to show, but they will display the streaked distortion because of it.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
Check if the sim is wearing a hat. Some CC hairs do not allow hats to show, but they will display the streaked distortion because of it.

the sims is not wearing a hat, i have even tried in a vanilla game with just some of the hirs installed to check maybe its conflicting with a piece of cc... and no change at all
Forum Resident
#12 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 6:57 AM Last edited by chicvibe : 20th Sep 2018 at 2:24 AM.
https://imgur.com/a/95fw8ni

Is this the issue you are having? I swear I got rid of some accessories that caused this to happen to another npc sim who is not wearing any cc, but my game has cc in it. This is driving me nuts.

After not playing for a while, I have determined that hair accessories that are actual accessories are causing streaks in the hair for me. It doesn't matter who is making them, whether they are recolors or creations - but they need to be removed. Even if your sim is not using them, if your content is enabled for random, then npc's will have the issue.

Hair accessories that are in the hat category seem to be fine.