Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 10:24 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets
Default Can't load any lot
I just got University and installed, everything went fine. To test out the new objects first, I tried loading an old family. When loading, the bar completely fills up as usual, but when the bars clear - right before it loads the lot normally, the game does nothing (or at least I think). So far I have waited 30 minutes. Some say it is creating NPCs or reformatting files... but it can't be creating University NPCs when I haven't selected a University for the neighborhood yet. When it comes to reformatting files, it shouldn't take this long. Here's some details on my computer/sims folder:
3.4 GHz processor
512 MB RAM
256 MB ATI Radeon X600 video card
NO Hacks in the downloads folder
Very few objects meshes and/or object recolors
The family is not using ANY custom content in the house or on the Sims (Angela Pleasant and Dirk Dreamer)
My neighborhood character files for Pleasantview total less than 200.
With the details listed, is this load time normal?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 10:48 PM Last edited by blaine : 1st Mar 2005 at 10:50 PM.
sorry i can't help you. i'm having the same problem to, mind took 5hours still nothing i 'm ready to give up. i have no hacked on it too. hope someone can help.
Instructor
#3 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 11:04 PM
Same exact problem here. I waited and waited and waited did it twice but it's just too long, it shouldn't take a half hour or hour to load a darned lot. Something is wrong.
Master Cocktail Shaker
#4 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 11:12 PM
Maybe this is why they made the rest of us outside of the US wait
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 11:18 PM
that makes me too...i let mine sit while i ate dinner. Very frustrating.
Test Subject
#6 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 11:20 PM
I too loaded my game and still have yet to enter a lot, no hack in my files either!
Test Subject
#7 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 11:23 PM
Hi all
I started all over from scratch...I do have things in a saved file that I will try to add 1 by 1 but I played awhile and i will have to see what happens as I add things to it.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 11:25 PM
Default Installing Game
Not sure if this is the problem, but did you go directly by the instructions that Maxis put out in regards to installing the expansion pack? It states to not install the Sims 2 University in the same location where you installed the Sims 2. If you do, The Sims 2 University files will overwrite The Sims 2 files, and neither game will work properly!
It also states if you mistakenly installed The Sims 2 University in the same location, to get both games working again, please reinstall The Sims 2 and then reinstall The Sims University.

Quote: Originally posted by Helper Monkey
I just got University and installed, everything went fine. To test out the new objects first, I tried loading an old family. When loading, the bar completely fills up as usual, but when the bars clear - right before it loads the lot normally, the game does nothing (or at least I think). So far I have waited 30 minutes. Some say it is creating NPCs or reformatting files... but it can't be creating University NPCs when I haven't selected a University for the neighborhood yet. When it comes to reformatting files, it shouldn't take this long. Here's some details on my computer/sims folder:
3.4 GHz processor
512 MB RAM
256 MB ATI Radeon X600 video card
NO Hacks in the downloads folder
Very few objects meshes and/or object recolors
The family is not using ANY custom content in the house or on the Sims (Angela Pleasant and Dirk Dreamer)
My neighborhood character files for Pleasantview total less than 200.
With the details listed, is this load time normal?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 11:35 PM Last edited by Celtic_Coonass : 1st Mar 2005 at 11:53 PM.
As long as they just followed the automatic installation they should be ok. I NEVER do any custom installing of ANYTHING. Eventhough I know my way around my computer, some things are just too easy to screw up.

I installed, Everything was fine I immediately loaded the Curious house in Strangetown. Checked things out and quit. I put my downloads folder back into my "The Sims 2" folder and started the game, nothing will load.

I have taken out my downloads folder again and am going to try loading again. I will let you know. I have my suspicions that it is the downloads folder causing the prob in my case. (Yes, I have removed all Hacks!) I will post back in a few minutes...

I am Queen!
My pantyhose say so.

Master Cocktail Shaker
#10 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ladydrb58
Not sure if this is the problem, but did you go directly by the instructions that Maxis put out in regards to installing the expansion pack? It states to not install the Sims 2 University in the same location where you installed the Sims 2. If you do, The Sims 2 University files will overwrite The Sims 2 files, and neither game will work properly!
It also states if you mistakenly installed The Sims 2 University in the same location, to get both games working again, please reinstall The Sims 2 and then reinstall The Sims University.

if your helpful solution, helps out all these folks, then it goes to show how many of us computer users don't read the install instructions first.....

------------------------------------------------------
www.simsconnection.com

my bloggie
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 11:45 PM
I just fired up the game again, sans download folder and my lot loaded in less than 2 minutes. I bet if you take out your downloads folder entirely, you will have the same result.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to have to slowly add in my downloads. I will let you know if I figure something else out, but for now this is the only solution I have.

I am Queen!
My pantyhose say so.

Test Subject
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 1:37 AM
I am having the same problem also
Firestarter
#13 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 1:43 AM
Double check your downloads for hacks, I just found two career files I would have sworn were not there, but they had the long hash names, so I wouldn't have known. Make sure you use the latest Clean Installer, too.
Test Subject
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 1:55 AM
That Clean Installer really comes in handy...there were files in my download folder that it did NOT detect..i just deleted those files and now everything works.
Test Subject
#15 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:13 AM
so you deleted all your downloads and it worked?
Test Subject
#16 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:14 AM
Ohh mannn... what a bummer. I got University like 5 hours ago and still haven't gotten to play it. I have the same problem... I haven't downloaded the latest Clean Installer so I'll try that first and get rid of some crap. Question, how can you tell if downloaded files are compatable with the EP? And don't any hacks work with the EP? If this Clean Installer doesn't work, I'm going to have to remove my whole downloads folder and that's gonna suck. I'll update you on my progress and let you know what I found helped or didn't help. geeeeesh.
Test Subject
#17 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:28 AM
i've just got to say that this is a poorly thought out EP, if we have to re-install, un-install, install, delete, recover. I think the game would be grand if we didnt have to do all of this, Sorry if I sound ungrateful
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:31 AM
Default Move Download Folder to Your Desktop
Until you can figure out what is causing your game not to load, move your download folder to your desktop then run University, and it should load and play. This is what I had to do. I also backed up my savesims folder and my download folder.
I was having the same problem, for some reason it will not take the objects that were created, and I did not have any hacks in my game.
The game is working just great now. I will put my download back in a little bit at a time to see if any of the clothing meshes are causing the conflict.

Quote: Originally posted by RIDance
Ohh mannn... what a bummer. I got University like 5 hours ago and still haven't gotten to play it. I have the same problem... I haven't downloaded the latest Clean Installer so I'll try that first and get rid of some crap. Question, how can you tell if downloaded files are compatable with the EP? And don't any hacks work with the EP? If this Clean Installer doesn't work, I'm going to have to remove my whole downloads folder and that's gonna suck. I'll update you on my progress and let you know what I found helped or didn't help. geeeeesh.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:35 AM
Default Remove Download Folder "Its Works"
The problem is the download folder. If you remove it, the games loads in seconds and plays just fine. The only thing I had downloaded was new meshes for clothes. I moved my download folder to the desktop and everything works.
I am going to check threads in regards to SimPE and the recolor to see if there are any other conflicts. I have not added anything new to the game because it seem as though anything not Maxis in the download folder will cause the expansion not to play.
Quote: Originally posted by Celtic_Coonass
As long as they just followed the automatic installation they should be ok. I NEVER do any custom installing of ANYTHING. Eventhough I know my way around my computer, some things are just too easy to screw up.

I installed, Everything was fine I immediately loaded the Curious house in Strangetown. Checked things out and quit. I put my downloads folder back into my "The Sims 2" folder and started the game, nothing will load.

I have taken out my downloads folder again and am going to try loading again. I will let you know. I have my suspicions that it is the downloads folder causing the prob in my case. (Yes, I have removed all Hacks!) I will post back in a few minutes...
Test Subject
#20 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:40 AM Last edited by trancejeremy : 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:43 AM.
It's not just the download folder. It's a hack in it.

I had the same problem, took out the DL folder, the game worked. Then I put it in, and took out all the hacks I could find, and it still worked.

I deleted all the careers
The no A+ memory
The less whiney
DMA Teleporter and house maids
No cheering
No reunion memory
Power expressio
Teen Woohoo 6.0

So it's one of those.
(I should have done that before installing the game. But I was eager to see it working..)
Test Subject
#21 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:45 AM
im trying deleting stuff from my downloads now i had the same thing. it let me into a dorm with some of my people but then even if the game was unpaused it froze time it wouldnt go past 8am
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:47 AM
Default New Error after installing University with Cleaninstall
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I had a problem playing University, but removed the download folder and it works great. Exit the game. Started up Cleaninstall, and this is what popped up:
Not sure if University is the cause of this, but was not getting this error before the install.
Scholar
#23 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 2:52 AM
Default Didn't work for me
I tried renaming the download folder "Real Download", then creating a new empty "Download" folder. I figured I could move files over bit by bit and zero in on the bad apples.

But with an empty download folder - No such luck, program still hangs loading a lot whether occupied or empty.
Test Subject
#24 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 3:35 AM
Well, moving my downloads folder is the only thing that allows the game to work. So if you're having this problem, that's probably your best bet. I'm pissed, because I love all of my downloads but that's life. Hopefully we'll be able to figure something out to move them back in there and have it work. For now, I'm just going to play and test out all of the new features. The drums rocK!! good luck everyone.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 3:37 AM Last edited by Celtic_Coonass : 2nd Mar 2005 at 3:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ladydrb58
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I had a problem playing University, but removed the download folder and it works great. Exit the game. Started up Cleaninstall, and this is what popped up:
Not sure if University is the cause of this, but was not getting this error before the install.

This will happen if you do not have a downloads folder. If you have removed it, or it has been deleted by accident, you need to have a downloads folder.

Cheese and freaking crackers!

I finally got things going. I took all custom objects out of the game and removed all of the files from my downloads folder that I didn't know EXACTLY what they were. That means I removed alll the files that had been renamed with all that number and letter garbage that you get when you install a packaged lot. Apparently there was something the game didn't like. Don't know what it was.

Hope you all get your games going too. It only took me 8 hours.

I am Queen!
My pantyhose say so.

Page 1 of 3