Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 6:16 PM
Default The Lottery
With the big power ball in the U.S. looming over me, I have had the urge to create a sim that wins big. But I wanted to make sure that he would be able to. I would like for him to be just a normal down on his luck sim like Buster Round or the Broke family that just has his life changed forever. To make it more normal, I would prefer for him to not travel to the future to look up winning tickets before hand, but I don't know how much he would win if he does not. I would expect that an extremely large amount of money would be almost impossible this way, but I would like to know if there are set amounts with certain chance levels or it it all just generated randomly. So I would like to know, what has been your experience with the lottery?
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#2 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JessiL
.................... So I would like to know, what has been your experience with the lottery?

I won $70 once, but I still believe lottery is a truly regressive tax that punishes the poor. That said, I will get a Powerball ticket now that it's over $1 Billion dollars.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#3 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 6:34 PM
This is about the lottery in Sims 3, not the real one, eskie227.
One Minute Ninja'd
#4 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 6:43 PM
Oh. Never mind.
Instructor
#5 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 8:08 PM
I've never actually played the lottery in the sims 3, although I have gotten lottery scratch offs in real life usually for Christmas or my birthday, and probably the most I've won is $25. I wasn't even aware there was a lottery in the sims, or how you even go about playing it, and I suppose I wouldn't have a use in playing it anyways, considering the majority of my sims families are made incredibly wealthy by use of motherlode, freerealestate for houses, and by being large (8+ sims) with multiple adults working, and are usually meant to be royalty anyways. No sense in them getting any more rich.
Instructor
#6 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 8:44 PM
The lottery seems so random. Most of the time my Sims lose but they've won $500-$500,000.
If i really want them to win (might as well use motherlode but...) I'll give them the moodlet that you gain from ITF so it unlocks the 'Buy Winning Ticket' option. But once again the winnings could be as low as $500 to as high as $3mill.
Theorist
#8 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 2:43 PM
Just a week or two ago, a sim I was playing won 5,000 (without traveling to the future). Other times I've tried it, they got nothing. It's definitely random unless you use ITF to look it up.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Instructor
#9 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I placed a regular grocery rabbithole in the future. So now, I can go to future city hall and look up lottery numbers and purchase the tickets regularly.

:D

I did the same thing once! Haha, no shame~
Inventor
#10 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 10:29 PM Last edited by douglasveiga : 14th Jan 2016 at 5:06 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by JessiL
With the big power ball in the U.S. looming over me, I have had the urge to create a sim that wins big. But I wanted to make sure that he would be able to. I would like for him to be just a normal down on his luck sim like Buster Round or the Broke family that just has his life changed forever. To make it more normal, I would prefer for him to not travel to the future to look up winning tickets before hand, but I don't know how much he would win if he does not. I would expect that an extremely large amount of money would be almost impossible this way, but I would like to know if there are set amounts with certain chance levels or it it all just generated randomly. So I would like to know, what has been your experience with the lottery?

Please, Interpret the table below as "points", not "%".
Lottery Reward Probability Table:

Your Sim receives the "Insider Moodlet" when they travel to the future to cheat the lottery.

Lottery Win Probability Table:
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 11:15 PM
Instructor
#12 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 4:44 AM
I recently figured out how to play the sims lottery, and had my sim play it, and she won $50, so maybe it's not so useless to me after all, lol.
Alchemist
#13 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 12:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
Lottery Reward Probability Table:

Your Sim receives the "Insider Moodlet" when they travel to the future to cheat the lottery.

Lottery Win Probability Table:

There's more than meets the eye. Due to how the game calculates the prize reward, it's impossible for Unlucky Sims to get more than $100 even though the table suggests $500 and $1.000 are possible. Read more here: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Lotto

I don't think that's the case if the Sim in question has "Insider Tip" moodlet though.

Just call me Nikel
Inventor
#14 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 4:31 PM Last edited by douglasveiga : 14th Jan 2016 at 5:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
There's more than meets the eye. Due to how the game calculates the prize reward, it's impossible for Unlucky Sims to get more than $100 even though the table suggests $500 and $1.000 are possible. Read more here: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Lotto

That is why the result is negative for unlucky sims.

BTW: Thanks. I did notice now that I calculated the reward table as "points" instead of "%". I removed the "%"s from the image.

I don't think that's the case if the Sim in question has "Insider Tip" moodlet though.

According to the code it's necessary.
One Minute Ninja'd
#15 Old 14th Jan 2016 at 5:27 PM
Y'now, I traveled to the future, got the numbers, came back, and not ONE number came up on my Powerball ticket last night. Talk about a waste of time and energy............
Alchemist
#16 Old 15th Jan 2016 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
That is why the result is negative for unlucky sims.

BTW: Thanks. I did notice now that I calculated the reward table as "points" instead of "%". I removed the "%"s from the image.

No, I said Unlucky Sims can only get $50 and $100 even if $500 and $1.000 are in positive sign on the table.

Just call me Nikel
Inventor
#17 Old 19th Jan 2016 at 12:14 PM Last edited by douglasveiga : 19th Jan 2016 at 6:48 PM.
No, I said Unlucky Sims can only get $50 and $100 even if $500 and $1.000 are in positive sign on the table.

Thank you. I understood after reading the wiki carefully.

I just considered the algorithm, without checking the values from the game's tuning were actually statistically valid. I will update the image later.