Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2016 at 3:51 PM Last edited by linesa : 21st Sep 2016 at 7:45 AM.
Default A little question about creating a lamp. Possible bug in S3pe ?
Hello ^^

I'm contemplating the idea to create a simple lamp, to test if I can do it and because I like to experiment and try new things ^^

Naturally, there's a time I'll have to select the part I want to light up.
For that, I'll have to do what is said in this link apparently :
http://forums.thesimsresource.com/i...n-making-lamps/

To make things easier, the part I plan to light up will be its own group.
Meaning there'll be 3 groups for the High Lod : the shadow, the support for bulb, the bulb I plan to light up

The problem is that I'm using the TSRW 2.0.172, so I don't have the paper/pencil icon.
So, how can I do it ?

Then after that, how can I edit the light in the Misc/Lights tab ?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 20th Sep 2016 at 12:09 AM
The tutorial in that link is for TS4 and describes vertex painting, which is not supported in TS3.

Own Grandma's Canning Station? Check out the Canning Station Overhaul.
Like doing laundry? Check out the Infinite Laundry Buffs Fix.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Sep 2016 at 6:41 AM
Oh my, I didn't see it was for Sims 4 XD

Thanks for the info @Butterbot ^^

So, that mean there's no way to chose the part I want to light up with the Sims 3 ?
Instructor
#4 Old 20th Sep 2016 at 7:33 AM
Not on a vertex-by-vertex basis, I think, although I have not worked with lights much. I think which part of the lamp lights up is largely determined by where the light source is positioned--but again, conjecture on my part.

It might be a good idea to find a lamp in-game where the lampshade/bulb look lit up when turned on (and where the body stays relatively dark), clone that, and look at how it's put together. In particular, examine the LITE resource, which can be accessed via S3PE or TSRW's Misc tab. This will help: http://simswiki.info/index.php?titl...61D&oldid=49701

Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Sep 2016 at 8:02 AM
Ok, I'll try to check that @Butterbot :D

I'll share the results later ^^
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Sep 2016 at 6:48 PM
All right, here's the results of my experiments :D

I found this link : http://forums.thesimsresource.com/i...like-a-diamond/

So, I did what was said in it so the body (group 1)wouldn't be shiny anymore and I put 3,97 to the bulb (group 2) so it would be bright once the lamp is lit.
In the Misc/Light tab, I put the intensity to 20 ^^
The base I used for the lamp was LightingTableModern.

I did all of that with TSRW.

Here's the result :

I'm really satisfied with it ^^

Now, I wanted to experiment a bit, so I modified the light settings in TSRW using the LightingTableColonial's one by copy-paste.

Here's the result :

I would like to change the yellow color of the shade to white.

Because I couldn't find how to do it in TSRW, I tried to do it in S3PE, and if I'm not mistaking, it's what I circled with red that I should change for that.
So, on the Lite line, I clicked Grid, expanded everything, and on the ShadeColor part, I put the number 1 on R, G and B like it is on the Color part.
I clicked Commit and saved, but it didn't work even if I put 0 or 255 in RGB, the numbers stay the same -_-'
Instructor
#7 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 2:20 AM
Just tried this and it doesn't work for me either. Looks like S3PE is not saving those values, although it seems to save the ones above fine. You might have found a bug.

I wonder if it's OK to contact Inge Jones about this...

Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 6:45 AM Last edited by linesa : 21st Sep 2016 at 10:24 AM.
I see, if we both have the same problem, you're right, it's probably a bug :o

Yes, we can always try to contact her, because if other peoples meet this bug, it can be a bigger problem I think ^^

[Edit]

I sent a message, we'll see what happen ^^

I also edited the title of the thread, I added there's a possible bug in S3PE ^^
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 12:05 PM
Thanks for the report I will try it myself and see if I have the same problem.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 12:10 PM
You're welcome @Inge Jones ^^

Thank you for taking a look ^^

I hope it won't be something hard to fix if it's indeed a bug ^^
#11 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 1:05 PM
Lol!! That's a TS4 lamp. You can't possibly use S3PE for TS4 objects. Get s4pe.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 1:44 PM Last edited by linesa : 21st Sep 2016 at 4:14 PM.
What ?! That's impossible @Inge Jones, I made the lamp shown in the pics myself, and I don't have the Sims 4 at all :o

Modifying the part I want don't work even on a lamp cloned from TSRW and packaged as is, I tried it with the LightingTableColonial :o

Even if I launch S3OC, clone a base lamp, then try to modify the part I want with S3PE, it don't work :o
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#13 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 6:24 PM
You can save the light it's colour with TSRW. When you imported your mesh, or package, etc. (Let's just say you're done with the entire mesh and you only need to change the light it's colour). You want to go to Misc.

Expand the 'lights' tab if it isn't, and click on light0 (or 1) and on this 3 dots button, or double click on it. Now there will be a second window popping up. This is the file that edits anything that has to do with the lighting. Intensity, the width and height of the light, the position of the light, etc. And right next to where you can change the 'positions' values, you'll see a small box called 'colour'. click on it and there you'll be able to change it ^-^

In case anyone wanted to know how to change the colour within TSRW...
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 8:03 PM
Thank you for the tip @Greenplumbbob ^^

It's strange, I used the Type5 light (that's the one who give me trouble with the shade's color), I tried to put by default a pure red for the light, and it work, the shade is red like it should, but when I choose a pure white, the shade is yellow like shown on the pics.

That's why I want to edit the ShadeColor in S3PE, since that value don't change, but it don't work, no matter what I try, and no matter with which lamp I try too...

But if I don't use try to play with the Type5 light, I don't have any problem, that's why I think there's a possible bug with S3PE.

And It may cause a problem later for me if I make a lamp with a lampshade, because I won't be able to edit the ShadeColor to make it match the light's default color...

At least, I don't have a problem with the others Light options ^^
Instructor
#15 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Lol!! That's a TS4 lamp. You can't possibly use S3PE for TS4 objects. Get s4pe.

I tried editing the ShadeColor on a lamp cloned from TS3 and the values didn't save either, so I think the issue is with S3PE.

Thanks for looking into this!

#16 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 7:51 AM Last edited by Inge Jones : 22nd Sep 2016 at 8:08 AM.
I was responding to Linesa who PMd me for help. She is following a TS4 tutorial. I took the trouble to follow the link to the tutorial. Ok Linesa you had better let me have the lamp package you're working on because none of the TS3 lamps I looked at have that data structure at all, so I have been totally unable to test this particular problem.

It needs to be understood that if the data is not valid in the TS3 game it is unlikely S3PE was programmed to deal with it.

Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 8:24 AM
Yes, I was told earlier that this tuto was for Sims 4 ^^'

All right, here's the rar files @Inge Jones ^^

In it, you'll find the TRSW clone of a Sims 3 base lamp along with its package version, you'll also find the TSRW file and the package file of the lamp I created, so that you can compare both ^^

I tried to modify the ShadeColor part of both lamp (see the red circled part in my earlier post) and it don't work at all.
Meanwhile, changing Color work perfectly, be it in TSRW or S3PE ^^
The Color is the part a bit above ShadeColor in S3PE ^^
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Lamps Tests 1.rar (156.3 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
#18 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 10:10 AM
Ok confirmed. Will investigate reason now.

Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 10:22 AM
Cool, thank you for your help @Inge Jones ^^
#20 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 10:42 AM
In the meantime though, you do know you can edit and save these values in TSRWorkshop? Just go to the Edit menu, Project Contents, select the LITE resource, right-click it and choose Edit then Generic DBPF Editors. Inside that you need to expand Entries, then Entries128, then expand Floats, then its entries 13,14,and 15. I have tried it and they save properly, unlike S3PE :D

Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 11:30 AM Last edited by linesa : 22nd Sep 2016 at 11:50 AM.
Oh my, I knew I could open the LITE resource in TRSW with Edit then Generic DBPF Editors, but I didn't know I could expand the Entries
It's the first time I'm creating an object XD

Thank you for the trick it worked :D

#22 Old 12th May 2017 at 11:15 AM
Hello thread! Wake up - Peter has a fix. We didn't want to do a new S3PE build as we were unable to test this fix thoroughly, since neither of us has anything installed any more really. So if anyone fancies testing, just drop this dll in to replace the existing one of the same name (put a safe copy of the old dll somewhere in case something is wrong with the new version).

Peter's release statement to me said "Contains source FTPT, LITE, MATD, MTNF, MTST, RSLT, ShaderData, SlotAdjust, VPXY and just for fun, you can now also change "LightType" and it preserves the LightSourceData properly. (You have to OK from the LightSource grid and then go back in)"
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  s3pi.RCOLChunks.dll.7z (27.3 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content

Virtual gardener
#23 Old 12th May 2017 at 2:32 PM
Awesome! Thanks for making a fix! This will be incredibly helpful too! :D
Don't ask me, I just code
#24 Old 13th May 2017 at 12:40 PM
If this works, I'd like to put out an updated s3pi and affected tools (s3pe at least) as there were a couple of other files changed because of bugs I spotted whilst doing this fix. So do please confirm if it works.
Virtual gardener
#25 Old 13th May 2017 at 5:06 PM
@pljones just tested it in-game to see if the issue was still showing up when you'd change it in S3PE and for me it seems to be working. Not sure about anyone else though.
Page 1 of 2