Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 4:56 PM
Redesigned UI
Hey everyone,

I was digging around in The Sims 2 UI package and I was just wondering if the UI could be modded (Not recoloured) so that you could change the placement of some of the buttons. I saw some .XML files in SimPE that look like properties which control buttons in the UI, but changing some of the values or words didn't do anything (I tried changing the tooltip text).

So I was just wondering; is it possible? I'd love to be able to redesign the UI, if anyone would like to do this with me then I'd happily investigate with you.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 9:26 AM
It is possible, A&N has a few changes most notable of which is the addition of a set of game tips to the game tip library. It is very, very time consuming though, just finding the UI Data(s) that you need to change can take an awful long time. A full redesign a bit too ambitious though, Maxis must have a graphical tool for creating the UI as indicated by the "# Generated by UI editor" found at the top of each.
As an aside the UI Data files in basegame group 0x499DB772 that SimPE seems unable to read are actually movie files.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
It is possible, A&N has a few changes most notable of which is the addition of a set of game tips to the game tip library. It is very, very time consuming though, just finding the UI Data(s) that you need to change can take an awful long time. A full redesign a bit too ambitious though, Maxis must have a graphical tool for creating the UI as indicated by the "# Generated by UI editor" found at the top of each.
As an aside the UI Data files in basegame group 0x499DB772 that SimPE seems unable to read are actually movie files.

So basically, I would need the tool that EA used to "re-create" a UI. I suppose there probably is another way but like you said, it is very time consuming and ambitious. What is A&N? Sorry I'm not familiar with the abbreviation. I have a lot of time on my hands so I could probably invest time into it, but I'm not familiar with modding so I would have no idea where to start. I've just been playing around trying to find my way around things. Thanks for the reply.

(Edit: Did some research and I understand what you mean by A&N)
Instructor
#4 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 3:11 AM
I'll ask a question on that topic :Does the "Edith Flowcharts Trees" have something to do with UI ?

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!