Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 5:56 PM
Default Using Opposite Hand for Computer Mouse
So, I am a left-handed person, but I've always used my right hand while I use the computer for using my mouse and touchpad. However, I started to think about it and did some research, and found that left handed people should theoretically (and a small percentage do) use their left hand for their mouse. I tried switching, but it was too difficult because I also use computers at my school and they're all, of course, set up for right-hand usage.

This semester, however, I am on co-op (internship), and I had to use a Mac computer for the first time while I work so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to switch it around, especially because of how nice Apple mice are. It really wasn't all that hard to get used to after I taught my index finger and middle finger to press buttons without the other fingers also pressing down. I've even switched the mouse on my desktop around. HOWEVER, I have found that it's super hard to play Sims! It was easy to change my habits for general computer usage (and most games) because I feel like the controls and software are always changing, but the Sims controls (I play Sims 2 primarily, but Sims 3 too) have stayed the same for the 13 or so years that I've played on the PC. It's really a weird feeling!

Anyway, I just wanted to ask what your experience (if any) of using your opposite hand for computer mice is? If you haven't, they say that switching it around can really help challenge your brain in a good way. If you want to try, don't forget to invert the left and right buttons. Your index finger should always be the primary button presser.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 6:10 PM
If you switch around the buttons, use a mouse that's either equal on both sides or a left-handed ergonomical mouse, or you're in for some trouble.

I have occasionally tried to use the mouse with my left hand, (I'm right-handed), but find it very difficult. I don't generally bother to switch around the buttons, so that might make it more difficult. I tend to use my left hand on the laptop touch pad, but it's not the same as a mouse, and I don't have the same precision as with my right hand.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 2:20 AM
I'm right-handed and sometimes switched to using my left hand for the mouse at work, just to vary things, so one hand wouldn't get sore. I didn't have a problem with clicking, remembering to click left for most things.
I found the office mouse too big and heavy for my small hands, so bought my own and used it, which eased the pain significantly (and then I didn't have to switch so often). (Yes, I did ask for a different mouse at work, but they didn't care.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jul 2017 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
I was born left handed but my cultural identity and religion meant I had to start using my right hand for the many tasks I had used my left hand for most of life.

I'm sorry if this is too personal, but could you elaborate? I can imagine the cultural identity if you're older and perhaps grew up in the USA, where teachers would smack students who used their left hand, but I guess I'm not too familiar with other cultures take on treating left-handed people (although I am aware that it, until recently, was universally looked down upon by western cultures). I'm also curious about the religious aspect. I grew up on a protestant Christian household, where religious rituals aren't really commonplace (except when I went to a Baptist church; they did communion and baptism (obviously), but I could eat at communion with any hand I so pleased).

I do find it interesting when people try to use my computer now. They simply cannot comprehend using different buttons for the mouse and get very confused even when I tell them beforehand that I've switched them around.

On another note, I do feel like using a mouse with my right hand is actually beneficial for some things - like eating at your desk. How do right handed people multitask in that way? I have to put a lot of effort in stopping myself from eating with my left hand while on the computer.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Alchemist
#5 Old 14th Jul 2017 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PlyPlay665
On another note, I do feel like using a mouse with my right hand is actually beneficial for some things - like eating at your desk. How do right handed people multitask in that way? I have to put a lot of effort in stopping myself from eating with my left hand while on the computer.

I eat with my left hand, the only downside is that I can't use my keyboard, but since I'm not really playing online it's not crucial. So there's no big deal actually.
I also had to use my left hand for controlling the mouse when I had my right hand broken. Turned into some strange and uncoordinated action.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!