Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 7:33 PM
Default The Patrick Kelly Investigation: Sims 4 Civil Case #1
Patrick Kelly: Young man in his early/late 20's, 30's, or 40's. Suffering from a midlife crisis, puts himself in a position of scamming the entire Sims Community with Sims 4 Olympus. He goes under the alias of PK, but really who is this man, and what does he do?

Welcome...To the Patrick Kelly Investigation here on MTS Channel 4!
Let the discussion continue!

(This was done to rerail the E3 thread hopefully, sincere apologies to those who wanted actual information)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 7:40 PM
If he is in his early or late forties, you can't call him a young man. If he is in his early/late twenties, how can he suffer from a midlife crises?
What type of investigation is this if we don't even know the man's age?
Theorist
#3 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 7:57 PM
Hypothesis 1 - He is legit, the mockups are legit, and that really is his legitimate resume. However, The Sims 4 was just a job to him. He isn't a simmer, and isn't passionate about the game, hasn't even worked on it in over a year, so he thinks nothing of it. Then suddenly he notices he's getting emails, random calls, a ton of hits to his site. Now he is intrigued, as he hadn't realized how big and passionate the fan-base is for Sims. So he decides to tease simmers for his own amusement by posting links to confusing articles. It didn't start out as a joke, but he decides to take advantage of all this new-found attention by turning it into one.

Hypothesis 2 - He still works for EA, and this was a way to get people interested and talking about TS4, as well as a way to get a sense of what people think about it. That could explain why he seemingly has not received a takedown request from EA - because he has their blessing.

Resident wet blanket.
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
If he is in his early or late forties, you can't call him a young man. If he is in his early/late twenties, how can he suffer from a midlife crises?
What type of investigation is this if we don't even know the man's age?

Well if he is in his early or late forties he's a little whippersnapper then playing these mind games!

Plus his twenties could be the peak of his life, it's just an early one. Or you never know at 40 he could get mobbed by a group of Sims...
Theorist
#5 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 8:07 PM
He's been working since 1992 and has 15-years experience. I doubt IBM would hire a 16yr old, so if he was at least 18 in 1992, he'd be 39 today. If that was his first job out of college, that would put him in his mid 40s. So my guess is he's early/mid 40s.

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#6 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 8:08 PM
After careful consideration of all the facts, I've come to the conclusion that he is just a some random llama who escaped from one of the Guru's games. He just thinks he works(ed) there because he is utterly and completely stoned.

Field Researcher
#7 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 8:09 PM
There's a picture of him on his website (if that's actually him, that is ) - I'd say he's definitely in his forties.
Theorist
#8 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 8:19 PM
Yep. I didn't find the pic of him, but there's this:
Quote:
University of Washington

Bachelor of Arts Industrial Design: Graduated June 1994

Emphasis on Visual Communication and Graphic Design. Minor emphasis on Architecture and Art History.

That would probably put him early 40s if he graduated in the average 4-years and started college immediately after high school. I suppose he could be younger if he was like Doogie Howser (that reference probably dates me, hahah).

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
#9 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 8:49 PM
I suspect the stuff he posted was legit, and he enjoyed getting a bit of attention from the Simming community so he tried to drag it out for a while.

However, I think by the time EA releases anything official, it will only bear a slight resemblance to the stuff he posted.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Yep. I didn't find the pic of him, but there's this:

That would probably put him early 40s if he graduated in the average 4-years and started college immediately after high school. I suppose he could be younger if he was like Doogie Howser (that reference probably dates me, hahah).

I had just finished my freshman year of high school then, so there is no way he would've been younger than me. Yeah, he's at least in his forties.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 12:16 AM
There was some lady who was snooping around, and posted all these youtube videos linking to his site. I think it was her fault that this went mainstream. I heard a long time ago that those UI screens were from a proposed online version of the game which was scrapped when EA decided to go offline with it. That story makes the most sense to me - the idea that Patrick Kelly posted these because they were no longer going to be in the game, and therefore, no leakage was occurring.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 4:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cwurts00
There was some lady who was snooping around, and posted all these youtube videos linking to his site. I think it was her fault that this went mainstream. I heard a long time ago that those UI screens were from a proposed online version of the game which was scrapped when EA decided to go offline with it. That story makes the most sense to me - the idea that Patrick Kelly posted these because they were no longer going to be in the game, and therefore, no leakage was occurring.

That would be Siminati (sp?). According to her videos, she was in direct communication with Patrick Kelly. To what extent, I have no idea. But she did mention some hidden pages or files that were for her eyes only, since Patrick hadn't wanted said things to be public. I have watched just about every video of hers that relates to this debacle. That's how I know this. This is why I'm still confused about everything. I would like to know the legitimacy of all this. Maybe she was in on this and pulled our legs along with Patrick Kelly just for kicks? Nah, probably not. She did seem legit with her videos. That'd have been way too much time and energy for such a thing. This is all too puzzling.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 5:06 AM
Well, it seems that Mr. Kelly has indeed changed his résumé yet again. I think others noted this before, but for some reason, I didn't see it yesterday. Now he calls the SIms 4 mockups "Sims 4 Online Multiplayer Version (Unpublished)", and mentions something about a "Sims 4 Tools Redesign:. And he's apparently redesigning this as I'm writing this, because the examples lead to "page not found" pages, and the description reads:

UI Engineer
Electronic Arts

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer tempus hendrerit nunc at lacinia. In tincidunt ipsum in nunc porta consequat. Donec nec augue erat.

Which is your typical template-speak stuff.

In fact, ALL the game descriptions read that way. Either he got tired of being bugged with calls that WEREN'T job-related, or EA read him the riot act.

The tab does read SIMS 3 3DS, as others noted as well.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 2:01 PM Last edited by keeponsimmin : 13th Jun 2013 at 2:24 PM.
Everything about Olympus is gone.

So I found that Siminati woman's twitter, and she screencapped what the site apparently looked like at one point.

https://twitter.com/Simply_Simful/s...0452480/photo/1

So...if this is true, that means he was working for EA all along, or at least, those pictures were something we were supposed to see?

Well EA, I hope you have at least seen our reactions about the online aspects and will be smart enough to remove any you may have built into the game, if at all possible.

Edit: That picture is even weirder than I thought - that exact post, except for the "this, not this" stuff comes from a post on the TS3 forums.
Edit2: Actually, it comes from a few posts ^.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 6:07 PM
This thread might as well be called "Simmy Doo, Where Are You?"
Field Researcher
#16 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 7:44 PM
Aaand he's changed his site again, this time it just consists of links about government spying. (No, I'm not surprised - updating his site must be his new job after EA :P)

Maybe one day he'll change his site to actually show new info from TS4 (I wish).
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 7:52 PM
Hahahah I think it's awesome he's using his 5 minutes of internet fame to teach people about something useful!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tinewashere
Hahahah I think it's awesome he's using his 5 minutes of internet fame to teach people about something useful!

Five minutes? I was generous enough to give him an extra ten in an earlier post of mine.
Inventor
#19 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 9:06 PM
So Sims 4 is officially completely about cats now?

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 13th Jun 2013 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
This thread might as well be called "Simmy Doo, Where Are You?"

And they'd have gotten away with it if it weren't for those darned kids!

(Has anyone made a Mystery Machine for Sims 2 or 3? Because they should.)
Instructor
#21 Old 14th Jun 2013 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tinewashere

Indeed, at least it is keeping me a little entertained.

Wonder what he'll come up with next.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Mad Poster
#22 Old 14th Jun 2013 at 1:16 AM Last edited by gazania : 14th Jun 2013 at 1:39 AM.
And now the page is gone? I'm getting a 404.

Apparently, there was a free 30-day trial at Domain.com, where his website was parked. Guess he zapped the site within the 30 days.

Guess the party is over on his site ... at least for now.

EDIT ... While his statements re the Internet and the Guv'mint are interesting, aren't they a diversion in and of themselves? Sorry, sir. If you are real, I don't think most game companies who are trying to market a game are going to want you to give sneak peeks before they promote it, even if they are somewhat obsolete sneak peeks. Especially if they were. EA is reeeeeeeeeeally sensitive about these things. And they gots lawyers and money.

If this was a real résumé , it would have been best to frame his Sims 4 career in broader terms. The older games .... maaaaybe he could have stayed beneath the EA radar. But a new game that hasn't been released yet? A well-known popular series that people frequently Google for one thing or another?

Field Researcher
#23 Old 14th Jun 2013 at 1:24 AM
The site's gone, completely. EA must have finally gotten him to shut up. edit: oops, didn't see you Gazania. Didn't know that it was a 30-day trial - maybe this whole thing was planned, or maybe he'll be back to confuse us all again.

Nothing still makes sense, but from what he subtlely hinted (if that screencap from Siminati isn't faked), EA definitely requested him to take down his site, those pictures were there to see our reaction, that TS4 is gonna be "definitely spectacular" (If he actually is working for EA, of course he's gonna say that ;P), he wasn't fired from EA, and he's interested in conspiracy theories. And he answered these by taking posts from one thread in the TS4 part of the TS3 forums, so he definitely reads what's on there.

I just want some official TS4 information, dammit. We've had pretty much nothing official thrown at us except that it's coming in 2014 and that one picture which is most likely just a render. But then again, nobody knows how to piss off a fanbase like EA.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 14th Jun 2013 at 1:35 AM
No problem.

I would think that EA requested he remove his stuff. If he was a "real" job seeker and the examples were real, that is probably proprietary info, as someone else posted here already.

If this was a plant, oh, dear. I don't think it elicited the anticipated result. And if this was a fake and EA WASN'T behind this, EA must be ticked off by now. The last thing they needed was lukewarm- to-negative PR. The company wants us foaming at the mouth to get this game, wallets in hand.

And if we could Google him, he could certainly Google us. The power of the Internet!

Test Subject
#25 Old 14th Jun 2013 at 3:34 AM
Did anyone else catch the files he had posted about realism of expression in animated characters?

It featured an abstract that basically said "realism in expression and actions can compensate for lack realism in character models, but no the other way around."

There was also a giant flow chart of emotions, how they transition to one another and the body language that accompanies them.

Was there anything else posted there?
Page 1 of 13