Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 1:58 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Blank error message on startup
I'm getting a blank error message when I try to start the game. I've been through the Game Problem FAQ, did the steps, and the only option left is to reinstall the game. Problem is, I had the Ultimate Collection, and I can't access the Origin account I downloaded it on, so I can't reinstall it. I ended up making a new account, because I read online that EA Support might give you a copy if you verify that you've bought Sims 2, etc, etc. I literally have the UC installed on my computer, it just won't start. I'm in the UK so the chat option doesn't seem to be available to me, and the person who answered my call was pretty aggressively clear on the fact that they couldn't give me another copy of UC to have on my new account. Near as I can tell, my current install is unsalvageable. I'm at my wit's end, here.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 2:46 PM
I've never heard of this problem being caused by anything other than needing to delete your caches. If just deleting groups.cache isn't working, delete cigen.package and the thumbnail caches too.

Also, if you're on Windows 7, make sure you're working in the right Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 folder. There are two of them, but only one is actually used by the game.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I've never heard of this problem being caused by anything other than needing to delete your caches. If just deleting groups.cache isn't working, delete cigen.package and the thumbnail caches too.

Also, if you're on Windows 7, make sure you're working in the right Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 folder. There are two of them, but only one is actually used by the game.

Okay, I deleted the caches and it doesn't seem to have helped. I should also note that Bodyshop and HomeCrafter are crashing, too. HomeCrafter shows the same blank error dialog. This all started because Bodyshop had started glitching wildly. I'm on Windows 7, so it's highly possible I messed around in the wrong folder in the course of trying to solve this problem? I'm not sure what to do in that case.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 3:57 PM
Have you tried running the game directly from the exe?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 5:01 PM
Yep, and there's no change.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 5:23 PM
If you deleted anything in the wrong folder, it doesn't matter - it just won't have fixed the issue. So you'd just need to repeat the steps you've already taken on the correct folder (the one which contains your neighbourhoods, and is at the location C:/Users/YourName/Documents instead of the location C:/Users/Public/Documents.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 5:51 PM
Okay, I've repeated the steps, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 10:36 PM
I think you need to talk to Origin. Why can't you access that account? That is what needs fixing. You probably need to get access back to that then you can go in right click the game and select fix.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 11:23 PM
I forgot my password, reset it, but when I tried logging in with my current email address, Origin seemed to think I was creating a new account instead of logging into a pre-existing one. It's possible I just forgot to change the email associated with the account when I lost access to my old email, seeing as I don't get a verification email when I input my display name instead of my email address in the "Forgotten your password" form. I called EA Support earlier about this issue and was told that, unless I could tell them the IP I had when I made the account, or tell them some order codes, there was nothing they could do. I made the account a couple years back specifically for the Ultimate Collection promotion - I've moved house since then, and I don't remember the IP.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 5:27 PM
First suggestion - you do need a username and a password at Origin besides an e-mail. Contact them again

Second suggestion: have you used a CC cleaner? Those tend to delete some files needed - I think there is a fix, maybe somebody can help there. That will require a repair.

I have a third suggestion - no idea if it will work, though. It seems that (although I am on Windows 10) when I generate a new game folder (without logging into Origin) a repair is done on the game.
If the OP has a backup, would that be worth trying?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 10:54 PM
That's an idea, the generating a new sims 2 folder. I would give that try. Simply rename your current folder OP and try to run the game. This forces it to make a new folder. I would continue to keep trying with Origin, service there can rate from a 0 to 10.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 10:59 PM
It's a no go, unfortunately. They couldn't find an account connected to my current email address that has the UC on it. I can only figure that the account's still registered under my old email address, but unless I tell them the IP I had when I registered, or I tell them some order codes, or give them the information of a card I used on the account, they can't verify it. I only got it so I could download the Ultimate Collection. I asked them if there was any other information I could use to verify that the account was mine, but no, apparently not. I guess I can keep trying.

I haven't used a CC Cleaner, though I have had that problem in the past.

When you say 'new game folder', do you mean the My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2(tm) Ultimate Collection folder? Because, funny thing is, it'll generate a new folder, but still crash. The new folder will have two folders in it: one Logs, one Teleport (both empty), and a Groups.cache.