Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 5:38 AM
Default Games, MacBook Pros, and making the computer last
If I've put this in the wrong place, feel free to move it - I've been off MTS for years and don't expect to put things in the right place.

My current computer is a MacBook Pro, and I know the Pros tend to be a bit stronger than most other Mac laptop models, since they're made for higher-performance tasks. However, Macs in general aren't made for games, and my computer has an integrated chip. I want to check if there's anything I should be doing to keep the computer from frying itself early - this was a gift and if it breaks, I'm paying for a new machine, which I don't have the money for at the moment.

My system specs (let me know if I left anything important out):
MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2017 model with Touch Bar and four Thunderbolt ports
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 processor
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650
8 GB RAM
Running macOS Sierra 10.12.6

The games I tend to play are things like This War of Mine, Portal/Portal 2, Cities:Skylines and Sims 3, and while I don't really play too many games and spend more of my time browsing online, I play Sims 3 in particular rather frequently (every day for hours at a time at some points). I don't remember what my Portal, Portal 2, or C:S graphics settings were, but I'm guessing they were between low and medium without heavy settings like intense shadows or such; Sims 3, I have them on the defaults for my chip (which ends up putting them somewhere between low and high depending on the setting, but most of them aren't totally turned off). I'm happy to check my settings later on if that information is too vague.

I do have the After Dark and Snowfall DLC for C:S and EPs/SPs/CC for Sims 3 (WA, Ambitions, LN, Generations, Pets, Seasons, and High-End Loft Stuff). At this point, I've never encountered a graphical error that was caused by more than just me screwing with the settings at the wrong time, weird CC in Sims 3, or the games being annoyed at my OS, all of which were fixable problems.

So really, I guess what I'm trying to get at here is: do I need to change any of my habits or game settings to extend my computer's lifespan or will it be fine with how I'm running things at the moment?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sugarmew
If I've put this in the wrong place, feel free to move it - I've been off MTS for years and don't expect to put things in the right place.

My current computer is a MacBook Pro, and I know the Pros tend to be a bit stronger than most other Mac laptop models, since they're made for higher-performance tasks. However, Macs in general aren't made for games, and my computer has an integrated chip. I want to check if there's anything I should be doing to keep the computer from frying itself early - this was a gift and if it breaks, I'm paying for a new machine, which I don't have the money for at the moment.

My system specs (let me know if I left anything important out):
MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2017 model with Touch Bar and four Thunderbolt ports
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 processor
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650
8 GB RAM
Running macOS Sierra 10.12.6

The games I tend to play are things like This War of Mine, Portal/Portal 2, Cities:Skylines and Sims 3, and while I don't really play too many games and spend more of my time browsing online, I play Sims 3 in particular rather frequently (every day for hours at a time at some points). I don't remember what my Portal, Portal 2, or C:S graphics settings were, but I'm guessing they were between low and medium without heavy settings like intense shadows or such; Sims 3, I have them on the defaults for my chip (which ends up putting them somewhere between low and high depending on the setting, but most of them aren't totally turned off). I'm happy to check my settings later on if that information is too vague.

I do have the After Dark and Snowfall DLC for C:S and EPs/SPs/CC for Sims 3 (WA, Ambitions, LN, Generations, Pets, Seasons, and High-End Loft Stuff). At this point, I've never encountered a graphical error that was caused by more than just me screwing with the settings at the wrong time, weird CC in Sims 3, or the games being annoyed at my OS, all of which were fixable problems.

So really, I guess what I'm trying to get at here is: do I need to change any of my habits or game settings to extend my computer's lifespan or will it be fine with how I'm running things at the moment?

I don't play Sims 3 anymore on my iMac since it had constant Memory Problems, and I got tired of it.

However I think the main thing you can do to extend the life of your Mac Laptop would be to try to keep it from gettting too hot and keeping the graphic settings on medium and not on high.

I don't have any other suggestions that might help. You might go to Apple Community and ask a question

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.