Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 2:02 PM
Default We Built this City challenge
Yes, now the song is stuck in your head.

Anyway, this challenge is simple, you start with a completely empty version of your favorite sims world, and fill it back up to your liking. Here's how to play:

1. Start with a founding family, this family can have as many members of any age as you'd like, but this will be the only family you can play as (at least until enough generations are cycled through and you can play as any family branch you'd like). Build them a house in your empty world and settle them in.

2. Put the family on hold for a bit and place the essential rabbitholes. These are as follows: The City hall, The Grocery store, The Hospital, the Bookstore, the police department, the science lab, and the school. These must be in place to let the city function. Multi-function rabbitholes are acceptable, as long as the essential services are in place.

3. Pick someone in your family to be "The Mayor". They will be employed in the City hall, and basically run the show. When they die or retire, pick someone else in the family to be mayor.

4. The Founding family will invest oodles of money into the various properties around town. It is their wealth that will build all community lots, so it's okay to use money cheats to pay for all this.

5. To populate the town, create or download families and houses and add them in. With certain mods you can force these sims into various jobs, but if you'd prefer to let the town grow organically, that's fine too.

6. The challenge is complete when every single lot in the town is built up. You can always add lots through world editor, but I'd recommend sticking with the lots that already existed in the city.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 1:57 AM
I like this. It is like a bacc but is unique.
Test Subject
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 2:19 AM
This would be interesting if you play it as a newly founded colony on an alien planet.

Or if you're not so much into sci fi, a town on a newly discovered tropical island.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 4:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moondragon007
This would be interesting if you play it as a newly founded colony on an alien planet.

Or if you're not so much into sci fi, a town on a newly discovered tropical island.

Or a bunch of pioneers who have come to settle a new land in the old west.
Test Subject
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stormcat3
Or a bunch of pioneers who have come to settle a new land in the old west.

If you did it that way, it would be a good idea to use the No Cars mod at Naughty Sims Asylum (http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php.../2846-no-cars/). You have to be registered to access it, though.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 8:18 PM
No, I'm not interested in the challenge and no, I didn't even read the rest of your post, but yes, that song is now stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
And just to get back at you, I'm going to tell you that:
YOU GOTTA FIGHT
FOR YOUR RIGHT
TO PAAAARTAAY

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 12:53 AM
This challenge is almost like my town legacy challenge games which are played in empty worlds and I populate the towns with playing story progression manually as I've got NRaas set up to run as TS2's story progression.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 3:53 PM
How do you set things up for a TS2-style game?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 4:07 AM
I use NRaas Mods and tuned my settings so it controls very little while I control what happens to my families most of the time.I had to create household castes for each family to control who could have a baby and who had to wait.
Scholar
#10 Old 7th Dec 2017 at 5:50 AM
I like the sound of this challenge: it's simple, but has plenty to keep the player interested over a long period. Seeing what could grow out of simple beginnings was what initially attracted me to city builder games, but I found most of those a little too complicated and the pace a little too hectic for my tastes. Something more sedate is more to my liking, and this combines elements of a city builder with the added interest of having an actual population with all their varied personalities and relationships. There is also scope for the player to add mini challenges. Yes, I think I will go for this.

I'm in two minds what world to use for this. There is Finnington - (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=441238) a great favourite it of mine - it is completely empty with a variety of lots already placed. Or I have recently downloaded Windy Point (https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetai...assetId=3310319) which is completely empty, in which case I would need to plan ahead and decide how many lots I was going to have, how big, and where to place them.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
#11 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 3:51 AM
I went with a blank version of Evermore Falls for this and am using my town legacy challenge rules from my blog for this or mare accurately using apocolypse challenge rules from my modified version which requires TS2 rotational play as I have to play story progression through.
Scholar
#12 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 12:51 PM Last edited by Elynda : 31st Dec 2017 at 1:08 AM.
I'm not certain how I ought to proceed with this challenge. So far I have built a park, a library, and a dive bar - that's straight forward enough: you can change those lots to what they're supposed to be in Edit Town, and then have your sim buy them. But what about rabbithole lots? Is the object of the challenge to build those too? I built the business centre, that is to say I placed the Doo Peas building on a lot that I made a Business Park. Now I want to build a sports stadium, but there isn't any way of designating the lot as a stadium or any other rabbithole. If I just make it Visitors Allowed or No Visitors allowed, my sim can't buy it. I can make it a park, and then place a stadium on it, but it is then a park and needs to have park stuff on it in order to be upgraded. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: Nope, that won't work. If you buy the lot first, use real estate to 'build on this lot' and then place a stadium on it, you will get a message telling you the lot was edited in Edit Town and has been sold on your behalf. And yet I didn't go into Edit Town, I simply used Moveobjects to place the Bachelor Stadium as I would normally do.

EDIT 2: I see what the problem is: I originally had to use moveobjects to place the stadium building, which is quite large, and would just fit on the 40X50 lot I was using. That's what caused the message. It needs to go on a larger lot without using moveobjects.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Dec 2017 at 3:19 AM
I've been playing this kind of game based on my town legacy challenge rules and I've got modified apocalypse challenge rules that would work for this challenge as it would have to be played rotationally like TS2 to get the town to progress with the sims tending to mess things up.