Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: What will you do when you complete your study?
Move out and live in your own?
10 55.56%
Stay with your parents and save up before moving out?
8 44.44%
Live together in the house?
0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th May 2013 at 7:17 AM Last edited by RomerJon17 : 27th May 2013 at 10:45 AM.
When you are older ( 18+ and 21+ ). Would you move-out your parents' house or be with your parents and you move-out your parents house within 4 to 5 years.
Parents can't vote

I will finish school this year and I'm now Yr 12. Next year, I won't move-out the house because I do not have plenty of money to buy a new house. I will save up quite a lot of money when I buy or rent a house. I have a job and I'm happy for that.

I will move-out the house when I at the Uni ( 2016 ). I am not ready to leave my house and I do love my parents.

-------
Missing
"Live together in the house?" ( Example with your partner or your friend )

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 27th May 2013 at 7:22 AM
I moved out when I was 21 and into a camper out back with my husband. I was 1-2 months pregnant at the time though and we didn't have running water in the camper so my husband and I moved back into my grandparent's house until we were able to buy our own home(Which didn't happen until a year later ).

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th May 2013 at 7:24 AM
I don't think there is any cut and dried answer. It depends where you live, where you are looking to live and if that is a shared flat with friends , a house or a rental by yourself. If by 18 my kids had a full time job and were trying to save up for a house I would be quite happy for them to live at home so long as they help out with the bills and groceries and help around the house. If on the other hand they have no job and think lying on the couch all day is what life is about I would be setting some ultimatums.

Seeing I'm the parent I can't vote on your poll.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th May 2013 at 7:39 AM
My sisters left home when they finished high school, around age 18. But they came back to stay for periods of time before they were finally gone. This coming back and leaving went on for a few years. I saw what it did to my parents. It was a huge adjustment each time and it wore on them. It didn't seem fair to them. I vowed I would not do the same and stayed with my parents until I was 25. By then I had some money saved up and was ready for an adventure, so I moved to another state and stayed there.

My son left for college when he graduated high school. Then he left for another part of the country when he graduated college. I would have loved to have had more time with him before he took off. I suppose that if he didn't have a job and were just hanging around, it could be difficult, but, as it is, I miss him terribly.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Theorist
#5 Old 27th May 2013 at 10:13 AM Last edited by Mistermook : 28th May 2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Fixed for clarity in a bad sentence
I moved out of the house after I graduated high school, when I was still 17. At various times I've moved back in with either parent for varying lengths of time, but I've also had my father and various siblings move in with me when they were between places too. There's really no good answer. My daughter still lives with her mother right now, but she's moved out and moved back already. Given the problems with the economy in the world right now, I don't think there's a simple answer to "what's right" for all possible circumstances right now. There's not enough normal in our normals yet.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 27th May 2013 at 10:44 AM
I'm living away at uni currently but after ive finished (next year argh!) im guessing i will have no choice but to move back into my dads house as its currently quite hard to get a job straight out of uni

-and in that moment, i was infinate.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th May 2013 at 11:10 AM
Perhaps this thread should be in the teens social club, if you don't want us stuffy non-minors involved.

I moved out when I was 19 - commuting through three countries every day just to get to the faculty seemed a bit OTT. My parents are constantly trying to get me to stay with them for a few weeks, and dropping unsubtle hints about how if I ever need to I'm welcome to have my old room back, which is a nice safety net to have; but with luck, I won't be needing it. For the next two years I'll be studying in another new city and working part time; between salary and savings, I should have enough to support myself.

I'm lucky, though, in that my family are willing and able to help me with things I have no hope of paying for myself (like first instalment tuition fees), so I can weather a bit of trouble without having to move home. For those who aren't so lucky, it makes sense to take advantage of your parents' hospitality: if you're all earning what you can and spending less between you, then everyone ends up better off.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 27th May 2013 at 12:28 PM
Yeah Whiterider, I was going to say it's a funny question for a board filled up with adults.

I moved out at 18 though I moved back in for a bit (for practical reasons) before I went to uni at 24. After that I was a confirmed independent adult. I don't know what the housing situation is like nowadays elsewhere but in the UK I think it's getting harder and harder for young people to establish themselves. House prices are too high, driven by people's greed over property investment - everyone seems to have forgotten that houses are meant to be lived in, meant to be people's homes.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 27th May 2013 at 1:34 PM
Well, housing is also changing. House prices are very very high, it's true, and that's prohibitive for young people. But I also discovered just recently that, for tax and benefit purposes, if you're single and have no dependants, the government assumes that you live in a shared house or flat. That's not too unrealistic, either - two of my cousins, aged 26 and 27, both working full time in good jobs, are both living in shared houses and expect to keep doing so for the foreseeable future.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
#10 Old 27th May 2013 at 1:37 PM
I moved out when I was 17 actually. I moved from West Virginia to live with my boyfriend in New Jersey. I lived there for about 2 years though it didn't feel like it because I was coming back to WV every 6 months or so for 4-5 months at a time. I kind of lived in both places for a while I guess.
I finally convinced my now husband to come back to WV with me a few months ago and just what he thought would happen, happened. I convinced him to move here. Within about a month of "visiting", we'd found a little 2bdr trailer to rent for only $300 a month. I'll be 20 in November.
That's weird thinking about how I moved out when I was only 17... It feels like forever ago but it hasn't been long at all. ha.

I'm pregnant, and when the baby comes we'll have to move back into my mom's because I only get $1300 a month and almost $1000 of that goes to bills/car/rent. But until then, we're here. c:
Instructor
#11 Old 27th May 2013 at 2:15 PM
I'll probably move out after high school and go to Uni somewhere else. Either Aarhus or maybe Copenhagen, but I'm not staying here as this town is just really boring. I'll be 19 at the time. It's pretty normal to move out for good after high school here, but depending on your education and so.
Instructor
#12 Old 27th May 2013 at 2:58 PM Last edited by Ladyhawke976 : 28th May 2013 at 1:48 PM.
Well, I had plans. Big plans when I was in my late teens. I was thinking about joining the Military - the Air Force to be exact. I was going to move out, get married and have a couple kids eventually, even though a doctor had suggested once before that I didn't. Pbbbbtt....what do they know?

Anyway I became an ID diabetic at fourteen and didn't realize that that ended my Military career before it even began. By the time I came of age my hearing was starting to get a little fuzzy and that's when they discovered the tumors. Needless to say, my life didn't exactly work out like I had planned. Every time I thought of moving out some other major health issues would crop up and I wound up spending all my time and money on my health.

My elder brother and sister had moved out before and I longed for my own independence. Unfortunaetly, my situation didn't improve and eventually I had major issues come down with both my eyes and my heart. My hearing became progressivly worse and it was then I finally realized - it just wasn't happening.

Children - or lack thereof - was the issue I really had trouble with at the beginning because my biological clock was ticking like mad. I wanted to be married, have 2.5 kids, go to ballet recitals and T-ball games. My extremely rich, handsome, six foot tall, blond hair and blue eyed doctor (Yes, I had time to think on this) was apparently on his way out of the country with his equally pretty wife and their perfect children.

So, I worked for a while. As long as I could before losing my hearing completely. I saved a small nest egg and became enamored with Mike, a co-worker.

Needless to say, after my hearing went, so did my social life. It's kind of hard for your date to whisper sweet nothing's in your ear when all you get is the nothing. We moved away for a year or so, came back and life went on. It's not what I had planned, but I'm happy nonetheless.

To reiterate, I never moved out. Over the years my siblings, having some issues of their own, moved back in and out, but I stayed. Essentially, someone needs to keep and eye on me - or so my doctor suggested. The tumors have touched parts of my brain before that control motor function and other vital areas before and left me in the need of assistance and I have always been grateful for it. My mother is my ears - seeing is how my sign language is so horrible - and I feel blessed to have her. We're always together, her listening, me staring blankly at a wall. It's good fun. My father hails from Amsterdam and though he came to America when he was six, his education wasn't the best and eventually he was drafted for Vietnam. His skills aren't the greatest and 90% of the time he is looking around just as blankly as I am when he supposed to be 'listening' for me. God, I love him.

So thirty-six years later, I still live with my parents. All the money I recieve from disabilty goes to the rent, which kind of means they live with me, but either way - we take care of each other. I write, am attempting to garden, attempting being the operitive word there, and play some games. They just play the games. They love video and computer games and usually from sun up to sun down that's what they do. They are retired and my father is a veteran - so they deserve it.

Now, my sister has four kids. 23, 21, 19 and 18. Her 23 year old son still lives with her and has no plans to move out. His 21 and 19 year old sisters are married, and each have a son and though the 19 year old has always lived with her parents through the birth, the 21 old had her own apartmemt. Until a few days ago. Having trouble making ends meet in this economy she, her husband and their son moved back in with her and her husband. So now with her kids and grandkids she has 10 people living under one roof and I have never been happier being single with no children.

Living together or multiple generation households is on the rise. I think it's wonderful as long as the younger generation realizes they need to contribute and not just hang around for the free rent. That's important with gas, food and lodging prices so high.

Regardless of how your situation turns out - I wish you the best of luck!
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th May 2013 at 3:47 PM
I moved out (of sorts) when I was 16. Lived in a small row house close to the school I attended (the school was too far from my home town to live at home). But I came home during weekends. I've lived away from home ever since (about 9 years - I'm getting old ). After the row house I've mostly shared a house (lodging, as in sharing everything except the bedroom) with others. My next place will be someplace where I've got the entire thing to myself, as I'm really tired of sharing.

I'm not one of those who do a lot of wild things, so I guess my parents trusted me. I don't go out partying and I don't touch alcohol, and with the exception of my tendency to procrastrinate on everything and my slight aversion to house washing (not that I don't do it, I'm just not the first one who jumps to the task) I've kind of been "grown-up" enough to live away from home. There are people I wouldn't let live away from home until they were well past 20. I guess it depends on how the person is, where they live, and if they can support themselves economically. There's a lot that comes with the responsibility of living outside the safe walls of your parents' house.

My older brother lived (mostly) at home until he was past 20. I don't think he moved out properly until his oldest son was 2 or 3 (mom actually did most of his laundry until quite recently, and he's nearly 30...). My cousin who is my age lives in his parents' basement, and his sister who is a couple of years youger lives in the "attic". Both of them have jobs and pay rent, though. One of my uncles stayed in gran's house until he was well into his 20s, probably going on 30...
Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 27th May 2013 at 4:00 PM
I'm another oldie. I moved out of my parents' house when I was a few months shy of 17, to start college. Went from living on a large dairy farm in Indiana to a cramped 1-bedroom apartment, shared with one other person, in downtown Manhattan, where the closest grass was in Central Park. Would you like to discuss culture shock? I never did -- and never would, even if you paid me -- move back in with my parents. It's not that I didn't love them or that we didn't get along; it's just that we all like to have our own spaces. It's a generational/economic times difference, perhaps, but it was simply what everyone expected and pretty much what everyone did during the time when I was a late teen: When you grew up, you GREW UP. And you left. And you didn't come back unless some sort of catastrophe happened to you. Nothing that, as far as I was concerned, warranted moving back in with my parents happened to me.

As for my own kids, my son got married days after he turned 18 because A) he'd been with the same girl since they were about 12 and they knew they were going to marry by the time they were 15 so saw no point in waiting and B) they wanted to start a family while they were young, and C) he was going into the Army. Being married made being together given the last bit easier, so that's what they decided to do. They're in Georgia now and expecting their first baby, so...gone. My daughter's 16 and trying to decide if she wants to go to college now (She was homeschooled, and was done her schooling about 1.5 years ago) or do some traveling first. She's leaning toward the latter, and her current plan (which changes every few days, it seems) is to go to Africa with me in December and then travel on her own from there. Then she'll go to college probably next year. So she'll be pretty much gone by the time I get home. And then...Empty nest, WOO! Well, except for my housemate's kids, neither of whom seem inclined to go anywhere in the next century. But with my kids...Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. They've both got wanderlust, just like their mama.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#15 Old 27th May 2013 at 4:40 PM
I do want to move out on my own....
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 27th May 2013 at 4:40 PM
Hey LadyHawke, you get a hi and a hug from me. I know how you feel, I really do. I had a brain tumour which developed from my teens (undiagnosed) until I was 38. Slow growing, obviously. Getting iller and iller slowly too. I was 'lucky' (I think you know why that's in inverted commas) in that it was diagnosed just before it became fatal, I had surgery and I survived. I'm much better now but I wasn't able to have kids either (about 8-10 miscarriages though) and I missed out on about 15 years of adult life free from illness. I'm largely ok now (not entirely ok but pretty good) so I sympathise with your situation. It's not often I lose a game of 'competitive illness' these days but I think you'd give me good competition! Best of luck.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#17 Old 27th May 2013 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Hey LadyHawke, you get a hi and a hug from me. I know how you feel, I really do. I had a brain tumour which developed from my teens (undiagnosed) until I was 38. Slow growing, obviously. Getting iller and iller slowly too. I was 'lucky' (I think you know why that's in inverted commas) in that it was diagnosed just before it became fatal, I had surgery and I survived. I'm much better now but I wasn't able to have kids either (about 8-10 miscarriages though) and I missed out on about 15 years of adult life free from illness. I'm largely ok now (not entirely ok but pretty good) so I sympathise with your situation. It's not often I lose a game of 'competitive illness' these days but I think you'd give me good competition! Best of luck.

Hey, Max!

Sorry about the miscarriages. I really am.

I missed my youth too, that's for sure. I guess I'm making up for it now with my avid gaming and my cat collecting. Life is one day at a time.

I just spent the morning running around town with my mother who drove, banging her head and belting out the tunes on the radio at the top of her lungs. I only figured she was singing so loudly from the way her neck vibrated and her face turned beet red.

I had no idea what she was singing along with and didn't bother to ask, not wanting to interrupt her performance. Whatever it was, she loved it. I sang along in my head but I'm pretty sure Air Supply's 'I'm all out of love' wasn't the song. It was hilarious to behold the mix though. Always is.

Good times.

Anyway, the best of luck right back at you, Max. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger!
Scholar
#18 Old 28th May 2013 at 12:07 AM
I graduated high school last year and am going to community college for money reasons - $2,000 a semester instead of the $20,000 it'd be if I went away to school. I'm living at home and taking classes, planning to transfer after next year (I get my associate's degree at community college and finish off at a 4-year school). I hope I'll be able to move out after that. Having trouble getting a part-time job right now, but I'll keep trying and possibly volunteer at the library (which may help me get a job down the road anyway). And of course going to school full time.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Scholar
#19 Old 28th May 2013 at 1:13 AM
Congratulations efolger997!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!