Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 12:47 AM
Default guid pattern
Awhile back, I asked a question about assigning guids. I went to the SimPE site to assign grids to my new custom food that I'm in the process of making. I think I managed to assign and register guids but I still have a question for my future projects. My question is, related to how do I make sure my guid patterns are correct. I know there are grid blocks and I just used two. One guid is GUID:
0x00916900 and the other is GUID:0x00916901. In the future, will my next guid be GUID:0x00916903? When do the lettering patterns begin?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 12:55 AM
They're sequential but in hexadecimal is all. This might help: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/hexadecimal
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 1:09 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Jun 2018 at 1:31 AM.
You go from 0 to 9, then A to F, and start over on 0 again.
00-09, 0A-0F, 10-19, 1A-1F, 20-29, 2A-2F..etc... 90-9F, A0-AF...etc... F0-FF.
When you get to FF you add a number, so 100->FFF, then 1000->FFFF, etc.

For most things, the lowest Hex number you can use in SimPE is 0x00000000, and the highest is 0xFFFFFFFF (a few functions use longer Hex numbers). 0xFFFFFFFF is the same as 4 294 970 231, and compared to 99 999 999 (largest 8 cipher number in decimal) there's a little more elbow room.

Instead of counting from zero to ten and back to zero, you count from zero to sixteen before you start on zero again. It's not too hard, except when you start trying to figure out their matching decimal numbers.

Also, you should be able to register GUIDs and GUID blocks through SimPE now, by installing the fix by Quaxi. There's a whole thread here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...25#startcomment
Alchemist
#4 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 1:31 AM
I just got one yesterday for the first time through SimPE, worked fine.
Alchemist
#5 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 8:22 PM
from my understanding, SimPE's site allows for 256 GUIDs per block (00 through FF).
if you gotten all 256 GUIDs for current block, I take you would need to get another block from their site; in order to keep all your GUIDs.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 8:56 PM
^ yup. You'll keep the old ones whether or not you register a new block, though.
Alchemist
#7 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 4:24 AM
I'm new to this, so please bear with me. Once I registered, when I clone something, it seems like SimPE automatically assigned a guid? Or at least a new file name? Or... am I misunderstanding that? And, if it does, how can I stop it from doing that because I might be cloning just to take a closer look at something so I can learn about it. I won't save it, so.... yeah.... how does this work exactly?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 1:30 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jun 2018 at 1:49 PM.
The GUID number you see in the OBJD is the original GUID number from the cloned object. Leaving it will make one of the objects overwrite the other (depending on loading order).

If you have the box for "fix integrity" ticked in the cloning options, you'll get that box up and can give the item a new internal name string, plus let SimPE give the item a new instance number. It's one of the steps to make the object unique. You still have to assign the object a new GUID in the OBJD to make it stand apart from the cloned object.

If you don't give a new GUID and update it for the MMATs (there's a tick box), the recolors won't work properly, and may even show up on the wrong object. Each recolor get a new name in the object name string, so the only way they "know" which object to stick to is the GUID. Non-recolorable objects or subsets usually don't have a MMAT, which is one of the reasons they aren't recolorable. If the object has more than one OBJD, you need to assign new GUIDs to all of them - but only tick the MMAT box for the main GUID (the one with filled tick boxes for category placement).
Alchemist
#9 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The GUID number you see in the OBJD is the original GUID number from the cloned object. Leaving it will make one of the objects overwrite the other (depending on loading order).

If you have the box for "fix integrity" ticked in the cloning options, you'll get that box up and can give the item a new internal name string, plus let SimPE give the item a new instance number. ...

Thank you so much! That is really helpful. Can you tell me what's the job of the instance number? How's it different from the GUID?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 3:12 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Jun 2018 at 2:12 AM.
It's probably some internal mechanics. Items without GUIDs (CAS items and various other files) need a way to distinguish themselves from each other, so that's why there are instance numbers and also why the "fix integrity" box has an important role. It serves a similar role as the GUID (making the file unique).

I'm guessing the GUIDs is a way to link certain resources or files to each other while at the same time keeping the files separate with unique instance numbers. Some resources depend on the instance, others on the internal name, and others just need to be in a file to work (when saving, SimPE randomly assigns those a new instance number). Not a lot of resources use the GUIDs, but MMATs and some BHAVs are GUID-dependant (usually if they interact with an object or accessory object not included in the same file), probably some other resources as well.

The 3DIR for CAS items serve a similar purpose to the GUID, and binds together meshes and recolors by referencing the instance number in the mesh. If you don't do "fix integrity" to the new mesh (and thereby give it new numbers) the new mesh will try to overwrite the old one.