Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#751 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 1:43 AM
I finished Countdown City: The Last Policeman Part II and then I read Cabot Wright Begins by James Purdy which has to be one of the strangest books I've ever read. So now I started Existence by David Brin.
Advertisement
Scholar
#752 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 6:02 PM
After I finished Gameboard of the Gods (which was great of course) I read the Dark Swan series--Storm Born, Thorn Queen, Iron Crowned, and Shadow Heir. I'm also almost done with Toxic Faith, about breaking free of toxic religious beliefs. I just finished Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and am now reading Brave New World and am going to start Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, which my friend recommended to me.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#753 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 9:44 AM
I just finished Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks, highly interesting read! Its amazing how music functions in our brain. Now I'm reading Night Train to Lisbon, because one of my lecturers mentioned it at least once a week and I finally found it in our second-hand shop :D
Scholar
#754 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 10:22 AM
Well since March I didn't finish Gone Girl, in fact I barely started it because I hated both the main characters immediately and my friend said it'd only get worse as the book went along. I read most of Never Have I Ever: My Life (So Far) Without a Date, but I got kind of bored with it and didn't completely finish it. Then I read The Darkest Minds and Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, all of The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson, and City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare. I've recently checked out It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini and Identical by Ellen Hopkins and should start those, plus I have My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick which I bought. I have a bunch more books on my to-read list though.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Test Subject
#755 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 4:30 PM
Taking back old school and rereading The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. The last time I read it i was only 12. It is really like reading it for the first time.
Mad Poster
#756 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 8:33 PM
I'm addicted to memoirs, so I just finished Strangers by Emma Tennant and My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff. Felt like leaving the earth, so I'm reading Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds. I got about 100 pages into it a long time ago, and then something happened and I never finished.
Mad Poster
#757 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 10:02 PM
The Secret Life of Bees.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
#758 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 10:04 PM
I'm on the second book in the Divergent series.
Mad Poster
#759 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 10:56 PM
"Just one day" by Gayle Forman, after finishing "Pay it Forward" (both have been in my 'unread' pile for ages).

I'm desperate for some new books, though. I only have a few series I've barely started, and a few other random books left in my pile of unread books, but they're the kind of books I'm saving for a proper emergency. Most of them are books/series I've started, but not quite managed to follow through because I got distracted by more exciting books. Just relocated my Inkheart books (was almost through the first one, but got distracted), so thought I'd read those if I get the time (before I get a big box of books sent to me).

Which means I'm 1/4 through American Gods (Neil Gaiman), about 1/3 through a re-read of LotR, somewhere in the second book of the Quantum Gravity series (Justina Robson), somewhere in the 4th book of Wheel of Time (re-reading for at least the 5th time but it's been ages since the last time), and maye a few other books/series.
Alchemist
#760 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 11:39 PM
I always have a dozen or more books with bookmarks in them, meaning I'm (re)reading them, but at the moment I only have one book I'm seriously reading: Sleep No More by Aprilynne Pike. It's dark, but I'm enjoying it.
Scholar
#761 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 3:45 AM
~Since last time~

Read I Am Not Myself These Days by Josh Kilmer-Purcell. It was CRAZY. But good crazy. I'm glad I read it; it was very interesting.

I read The Syrena Legacy by Anna Banks, which were good mermaid books--Of Poseidon, Of Triton, and Of Neptune.

Attempted to read Slammed by Colleen Hoover but that did not work out. Too romancey, and the main dude liked poetry of all things. I can't suspend disbelief that much.

Read The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan. It was okay. Not my favorite book, but not terrible or anything.

Read The Perks of Being a Wallflower in about 12 hours. So good, quick, easy to read. Highly recommended.

Have been attempting to get through The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis for some time now. Very philosophical, like reading a textbook almost. I'm trying to push through it. Also starting The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black, which I've heard is amazing.

Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead comes out on the 29th and I preordered that so I can't wait for that too. ^_^

bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
#762 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 3:13 AM
I'm reading The Unredeemed Captive: A Family Story from Early America by John Demos. In 1703 during Queen Anne's War (War of Spanish Succession), residents of Deerfield, Massachusetts were captured by a French and Iroquois raiding party and marched to Canada where one of their number, the Rev John Williams, was to be ransomed for a Frenchman being held in Boston. That's as far as I got, but it's an interesting story of a little known (at least by me) time in US history.
Mad Poster
#763 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 12:29 AM
I got the new Sarah Waters book - The Paying Guests. And I also got Labyrinths of Reason by William Poundstone which looks very interesting.
Mad Poster
#764 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 1:30 AM
SOUTH - Ernest Shackleton's autobiographical take on the Endurance expedition. Been looking for it for a while, and finally found it in the secondhand bookstore in town today. I'm running tragically low on books to read though... I may have to swallow my pride soon, and pay full price for new books if I'm not going to run out completely!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#765 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 3:48 PM
My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. Love it.
Field Researcher
#766 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 12:22 AM
Germania by Brendan McNally. I am really liking it so far. Historical fiction about the end of WWII. I feel that I need to touch up on my knowledge of WWII while reading this. But the book is good so far.

I'm also reading Anna Karenina, but I only read it while riding the bus. It's good, but my attention doesn't stay with it for so long. I think I've been working on it for over half a year, but use it as my secondary reading book.
Banned
#767 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 8:40 PM
I read The Horse Wnisperer now. Adding in to my relapse of my love of horses, it also doubles as book ideas. The book is where I got the correct terminoligy for 'rearing up'. Like I never knew that.

FYI: I do ride horses. To clarify for all those MLP fans out there. Never watched the show.
Mad Poster
#768 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 9:08 PM
Re-reading the Dresden files by Jim Butcher. Been ages since I read the first books. Currently on 'Fool Moon'.
Instructor
#769 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 11:58 AM
I'm almost done reading Stephen King's The Stand.
It's a great, great book, but it's way too long. I usually don't mind 1000+pages book but this is just overwhelming. Do you ever feel like, even though the story is really good, the book is just too long? Gone with the Wind is also a long-ass book, but it didn't feel like this while I was reading it.
Next up on my reading list: Alan Hollighurst's The Line of Beauty and my 1977 original copy of Jay Anson's Amityville Horror.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#770 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 5:07 AM
Low Down by A.J. Albany. It's a movie now so I decided to read the book - about a girl's life with her father, jazz pianist Joe Albany - LA in the 60s, etc.
Mad Poster
#771 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 4:13 PM
Started Gone Girl - having somehow managed to avoid the spoilers
Field Researcher
#772 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 4:49 PM
I was reading "To kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee.
It's very good.
Mad Poster
#773 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 3:13 AM
The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber.
Mad Poster
#774 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 3:58 AM
Entertaining Satan: Witchcraft and the Culture of Early New England by John Demos.
Mad Poster
#775 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 5:16 AM
"The Nine Nations of North America" by Joel Garreau- it's a sociopolitical look at how different regions of North America are aligned into distinct power structures. (I'm a nerd) Basically, he breaks the continent into nine distince blocs, or nations: New England (obvious), The Foundry (mostly the Rust Belt), Dixie (the old South), The Islands (South Florida & the Carribean), MexAmerica (Northern Mexico and most of the Desert Southwest), Ecotopia (The Pacific coast between San Francisco and Anchorage), The Empty Quarter (The Rocky Mountains and Canadian Shield), The Breadbasket (The Great Plains), and Quebec (duh). It's from the early 80's, so it's definitely dated at points, but it holds up remarkably well- kind of lends even more credibility to his ideas.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Page 31 of 41