Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 4:46 AM
Default Where do you go if you want to enhance your creative vocabulary and writing skills?
I'm pretty slow when it comes to figuring out what I want to write but when I do it comes out a bit different then I hoped it will and i'm pretty lousy whenever to explaining things but I don't know the right words to put down and it really weakens the narrative but I would like to learn more about writing and where to go to improve on it.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 5:32 AM
Back in the day ...

One of the things I recall from when I was in school in is in English we had to do a daily journal. The first 5 to 10 min of class was to write in the journal. The teacher gave daily topics if you couldn't think of what to write. It didn't matter what was written, but the idea was to just get your mind to flow.

Try doing that yourself, such as at different points through the day when you have a moment just jot down thoughts and ideas. Don't think about them, don't worry about spelling, punctuation, or even grammar. Do it if it's natural, but don't stop and think about it. The more you don't think the better you'll do.

This sounds easy, but in reality it's not... err well it wasn't for me. I failed this part of class ... lol. The moment I picked up a pen and paper (yeah this was waaaay before computers) my mind instantly went blank. Tried usin the teachers suggestions, but that didn't work well either as you can't force thought.

Later, much later after bein outta school and havin a computer, I kept a diary/ journal of sorts. It was much easier with a computer as I was able to let my fingers and mind just go free. I have a love/ hate relationship with writing ... I love to try it, but hate when I get stuck :P.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 4:35 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Dec 2017 at 5:24 PM.
Try to write something every day.

One thing you can do is to come up with a character and write their bio or a short story about them. Doesn't have to be anything big or exciting. Maybe they're going to the grocery shop, and something happens while they're there. Also try to describe them in a creative way, avoiding words like "pretty, "ugly", "angry", "sad", "scary" or any other words that seem descriptive, but really aren't. Try to aim for objective character traits (such as having a hooked nose, curly honey-blonde hair, heart-shaped tattoo on the forearm, etc.), and body traits like gait, special ticks, personality, relationships, etc, and describe things your charcter see, hear, feel, touch and smell. Basically, what can the character sense that makes them think something of a person or a story setting? You can also try to describe a story setting in the same way. The most creative writers can make you get a feel for a person or setting without even once telling the reader directly what they're meant to think.

Another exercise is to write a paragraph or a short story (1/2-2 pages), and then switch out adjectives and verbs with synonyms that are more descriptive. For instance, instead of saying "she walked over to X", you can try something more descriptive like "pace, stroll, dragging her feet, skipping" or any other thing that describes how to "move to X with walking speed". Synonyms can also help you show emotion, age or any other character trait. A sad person may walk slow, look down and drag their feet. A happy child may skip around and laugh. Word Office (and similar programs) have lists of synonyms if you right-click a word, and searching the word + synonym in Google may also help. This can be of help in extending your vocabulary as well as your writing skills.

Also, reading can be very helpful to get the vocabulary bit in, and to get some creative juices flowing. The more you read, the more you familiarize yourself with the language and grammar, maybe even learn new words and how to put them in context.

When writing the first draft for anything, don't get too hung up in vocabulary and grammar. Finish getting your ideas down on the paper, and then start editing. Some writers do the first draft, then put it aside and make a second draft from scratch. The first draft is rarely any good, but is important to get down on the paper so you can see if the idea is good. If you lose track of the idea by getting too hung up in the vocabulary/grammar, it's hard to get back on track with the writing. The more you practice writing, the easier it will be to write correct grammar and use creative vocabulary without having to think too much about it.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 4:39 PM
One thing I learned in what little college classes I have taken is something called "free writing", which is much like what CaliBrat describes, but even easier. It has helped me tremendously. Pick a subject to think about, or don't. Just write whatever junk words and phrases come to your mind while you're thinking. You can even write about how you can't write. Do this for 5-10 minutes at a time, or longer if you want. Eventually, you'll pick up speed and can go back and edit your mess into something coherent. Then edit it again, and again, until you are happy with it.

Many times, we struggle with starting to write because we're too critical of what we're writing. I was at a point where I couldn't even gather my thoughts enough to comment online anymore, so this technique definitely helped me. Also, like the above comment mentioned, read. Read like crazy. It helps a lot.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 10:47 PM Last edited by Gamegenius : 14th Dec 2017 at 11:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Try to write something every day.

One thing you can do is to come up with a character and write their bio or a short story about them. Doesn't have to be anything big or exciting. Maybe they're going to the grocery shop, and something happens while they're there. Also try to describe them in a creative way, avoiding words like "pretty, "ugly", "angry", "sad", "scary" or any other words that seem descriptive, but really aren't. Try to aim for objective character traits (such as having a hooked nose, curly honey-blonde hair, heart-shaped tattoo on the forearm, etc.), and body traits like gait, special ticks, personality, relationships, etc, and describe things your charcter see, hear, feel, touch and smell. Basically, what can the character sense that makes them think something of a person or a story setting? You can also try to describe a story setting in the same way. The most creative writers can make you get a feel for a person or setting without even once telling the reader directly what they're meant to think.

Another exercise is to write a paragraph or a short story (1/2-2 pages), and then switch out adjectives and verbs with synonyms that are more descriptive. For instance, instead of saying "she walked over to X", you can try something more descriptive like "pace, stroll, dragging her feet, skipping" or any other thing that describes how to "move to X with walking speed". Synonyms can also help you show emotion, age or any other character trait. A sad person may walk slow, look down and drag their feet. A happy child may skip around and laugh. Word Office (and similar programs) have lists of synonyms if you right-click a word, and searching the word + synonym in Google may also help. This can be of help in extending your vocabulary as well as your writing skills.

Also, reading can be very helpful to get the vocabulary bit in, and to get some creative juices flowing. The more you read, the more you familiarize yourself with the language and grammar, maybe even learn new words and how to put them in context.

When writing the first draft for anything, don't get too hung up in vocabulary and grammar. Finish getting your ideas down on the paper, and then start editing. Some writers do the first draft, then put it aside and make a second draft from scratch. The first draft is rarely any good, but is important to get down on the paper so you can see if the idea is good. If you lose track of the idea by getting too hung up in the vocabulary/grammar, it's hard to get back on track with the writing. The more you practice writing, the easier it will be to write correct grammar and use creative vocabulary without having to think too much about it.

Do you know what's funny I was reading the second Harry Potter for the third time and I got to the part where the book describes Snape as a man with hollow skin and a hooked nose so I totally got the reference and thanks everyone for all the helpful tips. I'm writing a story called The Robot That Lost His Head. I had also started writing other ones like Zack The Goldfish,Like Breakfast To The Birds,The Ripoff and The Boy Who Got Ashes In His Eyes which is a Christmas themed story with some dark elements in it, it's not exactly a jolly happy story that you're used to whenever you listen to Christmas music,watching Christmas specials or movies.All of which are unfinished after more than a few years. If you to read about them then I would be more then happy to share it with you after all it is twas the season to be jolly.
Theorist
#6 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 6:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gamegenius
I'm pretty slow when it comes to figuring out what I want to write but when I do it comes out a bit different then I hoped it will and i'm pretty lousy whenever to explaining things but I don't know the right words to put down and it really weakens the narrative but I would like to learn more about writing and where to go to improve on it.

Get yourself a copy of the Associated Press Stylebook, either online or in the book store of any college that offers journalism classes. You don't need the newest edition, as there's rarely anything that changes. I occasionally use one that's close to 20 years old. It shouldn't be expensive.

From its Wikipedia article:
The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law, usually called the AP Stylebook, is an English grammar style and usage guide created by American journalists working for or connected with the Associated Press over the last century to standardize mass communications. Although it is sold as a guide for reporters, it has become the leading reference for most forms of public-facing corporate communication over the last half-century. The Stylebook offers a basic reference to grammar, punctuation and principles of reporting, including many definitions and rules for usage as well as styles for capitalization, abbreviation, spelling and numerals.
Alchemist
#7 Old 27th Feb 2018 at 6:29 PM
RegularCars on Youtube.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#8 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 11:37 AM
I would recommend the TED-Ed video "How to write descriptively - Nalo Hopkinson" for use of language and (as the title suggests) descriptive writing, it might help you when trying to find the right words when you write.

Otherwise from your post, it sounds like story structure is the thing to focus in on. There's a playlist on Youtube called "Brandon Sanderson - 318R" where the fantasy author Brandon Sanderson talks about creative writing, world building, story structure, and many other topics. I think its best watched in small doses as it is really just a recorded lecture series and it can get a bit heavy if you binge watch all the episodes in one sitting (remember daylight is important to human health ).

Personally speaking, and I write fantasy usually so adjust settings as appropriate, I like to start with something really small and build up a web around it. For example (prepare for a wellmeaning tangent):

I have a completely blank page, absolutely nothing, but I know I want to write.
I start with the smallest slither of an idea I can, maybe just one word, or less than a word. It's currently snowing outside my window, and as I look out at it my mind goes "Snow. Steam, machinery, snow, ice, dark, wet stone...". And as you can see I type/write that down. All creative persuits are as much an exercise of the imagination, as they are of academic technique such as grammar or structure.
So, I have a series of words, now let's make something more conhesive from them.
Dark: so is it nightime, or are we indoors. Snow: If we're indoors is there a hole in the roof and is snow falling through, or can we see snow through a window. Machinery: Is it loud, are there pistons and gears jutting out of complex constructions nearbye, or is the machinery more compact, quiet, a hiss rather than a roar. Steam: Is there heating nearbye, does the steam coil in the air, is it comming from us as we breathe into our chapped fingers, numb from the cold.
I start with a setting, then I think of character. Why are they here? What do they see? Are they comfortable here? And the most important question of all that leads nicely onto structure: What happens here that incites conflict, what approaches to claws at their heels and drives them on?

I could go on for longer than is probably healthy -_- , but I think this is a long enough post to get across the fundementles of my approach. Hope it helps!

Oh and one final P.S. Write the story YOU would like to read.