Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Quick Easy Hair Binner - for hair, brows, beards - UPDATED 7/10/2011 v1.1.02

by CatOfEvilGenius Posted 19th Feb 2011 at 12:28 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:54 PM by Nysha

255 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 161 Feedback Posts, 93 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 5 of 11
Test Subject
#101 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 5:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Use 7zip to extract it.

Catherine Noted, thanks.

Workin' on the new version...
* smooshes bugs *

I just downloaded and tried that program, it tells me that it cannot open the file. I just don't get why it wont work.
Mad Poster
#102 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 2:56 PM
Default Error Report
'Mornin' Cat,
I also keep getting this error... (files attached)
But, the Binner seems to work in spite of it. I just thought you might want to know.(?)

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#103 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 1:11 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 8th Mar 2011 at 6:17 PM.
Update - Version 1.1.0, March 7 2011

- can remove unwanted ages
- add YA age if adult present and YA missing (automatic)
- enable outerwear category (optional)
- enable maternity category (automatic)
- create 1 file for all 4 colors (optional)
- overwrite original files
- create backup files (optional, on by default)
- decustomize off by default
- bug fix: nonstandard size textures display correctly

More versions are planned. I want to declutter the Choose File dialog, clean up the UI in the main window, make a Mac version, and maybe add a few more features.

edit: There is a known issue with the OK button. For a few files, it doesn't work. I have not yet determined the cause, but plan to squash the bug, hopefully in the next version.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Test Subject
#104 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 8:50 AM
This will prove to be most useful. I thank you.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#105 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 4:25 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 8th Mar 2011 at 4:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
'Mornin' Cat,
I also keep getting this error... (files attached)
But, the Binner seems to work in spite of it. I just thought you might want to know.(?)

Catherine - Thanks for reporting. I should put "warning" in front of that. It isn't a problem, so long as your file got binned and written.

MAJOR Update - Version 1.1.0 - March 7, 2011

Mad Poster
#106 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 7:35 PM
Thanks & a Question
THANK YOU, Cat!!!! I love this tool! <<<you!

I have one question: What if, say , somebody were to have used the Wrangler (a long, long time ago) to remove the 'elder' resources from some files. So, The texture's still there for the Binner to see, but the elder resource is not.

Then that someone fires up the Binner, and (forgetting what they'd done in the past) sees the grey texture with the black hair (as it should be,) clicks the "one grey - Black" option and Bins away... what happens?

I have a few hairs that fit this scenario I think. I know there was a grey texture with the black hair before I clicked 'Bin', but there isn't an elder/grey hair available now. Is the grey still assigned correctly? Will the sim magically turn grey when they age? Or, change hairstyles? Did I completely bork my file?

and Vintage Stuffeths
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#107 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 9:51 PM
I have one question: What if, say , somebody were to have used the Wrangler (a long, long time ago) to remove the 'elder' resources from some files. So, The texture's still there for the Binner to see, but the elder resource is not.

Then that someone fires up the Binner, and (forgetting what they'd done in the past) sees the grey texture with the black hair (as it should be,) clicks the "one grey - Black" option and Bins away... what happens?

I have a few hairs that fit this scenario I think. I know there was a grey texture with the black hair before I clicked 'Bin', but there isn't an elder/grey hair available now. Is the grey still assigned correctly? Will the sim magically turn grey when they age? Or, change hairstyles? Did I completely bork my file?

edit: I should add a warning message, so that doesn't happen to people...
Maybe "WARNING: You have selected 1 Grey, but your files contain no elder resources" or something?

If the elder GZPS and TXMT are missing, your elders cannot wear this hair, even though the TXTR is still there. The fix is to manually add back the GZPS and TXMT resources needed by elders, using SimPE. The binner does not create new resources, it does not add missing ages. It only removes ages. (If someone would like any help with this, I would be happy to help. Does someone still have the backup files?)

If there are no TXMT resources that use the elder grey texture, the binner will nuke the grey texture. In the situation you described, removing the grey texture is the expected behavior, although not what the user would have liked. The sim will change hairstyles when they age, since the hair does not have an elder part.

Say you have 4 colors, black, brown, blond, red. If AT LEAST ONE has elder resources (TMXT, GZPS), and elder TXTR, then tell binner to use that one as the elder grey. It's fine if 3 of them have no elder stuff, so long as one of them does. If NONE of them have elder resources (TXMT, GZPS), the binner will nuke all unused grey textures it finds.

The binner does not tell you what ages you do have. It only shows which ones you want to keep if they exist, not which ones you actually have. So to check which ages you have, you'll need SimPE and/or Theo's plugin or WW.

Hope that verbiage helped!

================================================

MAJOR Update - Version 1.1.0 - March 7, 2011

Mad Poster
#108 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 10:29 PM
*sigh* ...yes, I still have the back-up files. I thought that was what you were gonna say. OK, I'll redo them.
Actually, since most of these are truely older hairs, maybe I'll just chuck 'em all to make room for the beautiful Pookleted styles I've been downloading like crazy this last week.

Is there a way the Binner can be made to tell which ages are available? Besides adding the warning dialog?

and Vintage Stuffeths
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#109 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 11:15 PM
Is there a way the Binner can be made to tell which ages are available? Besides adding the warning dialog?

Yeah, it's doable and I should do it. Let me think about how to do that without slowing things down. Shouldn't be hard, I'll try to add it to the next version...

====================================

Update - version 1.1.0 - 3/7/2011

Test Subject
#110 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 3:23 AM
I love this tool and just tried it out on a new hair. Create backup was on by default as expected but I don't see the backup files. Where do they save?
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#111 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 8:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gfitz
I love this tool and just tried it out on a new hair. Create backup was on by default as expected but I don't see the backup files. Where do they save?

Same directory as the originals. They are named *.bak. Are you sure they're not there? "Choose File" won't show them, but you should be able to see them in Windows.

Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#112 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 8:39 PM
This is a fantastic tool you've made. So,that's what you've been so busy with. You're a real talented person. I just did my first binning ever. I was just wondering where it says hairs to keep, adult&Yadult stay together right? Cause i wanted to only keep adult hairs. I suppose it's not possible or am I missing something. Another question; that first checked in dot,which says black&grey, itcan't be unchecked right? since prior to this i had deleted the grey in BS so,i guess it doesn't matter. I just wanted to know if it was possible to remove Yadult as well since i never play them they sound childish. Thanks again CatOfEvilGenious. Keep up the good work.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#113 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 9:43 PM
telefen I'm glad you like the binner.

Do you have Uni? If you play Uni, then you have young adults. If you don't have uni, YA hair will not hurt your game in any way. It is possible to make hair for adults only, no young adults, with SimPE, but there is no reason to do this. If the hair was made properly, and you remove YA, you will save no space (or almost no space) by removing YA. They use the same texture, so you're not removing any textures, and that's where the big disk usage is. If you are going to upload any hair, it really should have YA if it has adult, even if you personally don't ever play YA sims.

If your hair has no grey texture in it, and you have elder ages in there, and you want them to keep colored hair when they age, then make sure "1 grey for all 4 colors" is NOT checked. Otherwise, you'll have old blond people suddenly turn black haired. If you uncheck "1 grey", then it doesn't matter where the "dot" is, because all the "dots" become disabled (greyed out).

If you accidentally already did this, then just get rid of the binned hair, and start again with the backup files. You should have *.bak files in there (unless you turned off backup). Change the *.bak to *.package, start the binner, uncheck "1grey" and bin again.

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#114 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 9:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gfitz

Damn, you're right, I uploaded the wrong version. I will fix this shortly. Thanks for reporting!

Test Subject
#115 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 5:20 PM
Love this, been using it nonstop since last night when I downloaded it. But now, I retextured a hair and it isn't working. No matter which colour I import first, it gives me one of those microsoft popups saying:
'hairBinner_20110310_v1.1.01.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'
It pops up twice everytime. I was wondering if you new of a way to fix this?
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#116 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mossnose40
Love this, been using it nonstop since last night when I downloaded it. But now, I retextured a hair and it isn't working. No matter which colour I import first, it gives me one of those microsoft popups saying:
'hairBinner_20110310_v1.1.01.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'
It pops up twice everytime. I was wondering if you new of a way to fix this?

Please send me a link to the hair and I'll take a look and fix it. Thanks for reporting this.

Test Subject
#117 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 8:56 PM Last edited by Mossnose40 : 12th Mar 2011 at 8:58 PM. Reason: Added 'thanks'
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Please send me a link to the hair and I'll take a look and fix it. Thanks for reporting this.

Okay, here they are:

Black: http://www.mediafire.com/?0p7xloyq37gwob3

Blonde: http://www.mediafire.com/?6b0nb848vln1yht

Brown: http://www.mediafire.com/?0gnbuo3nwxd9mbx

Grey: http://www.mediafire.com/?xg8y7avo15pvilv

Red: http://www.mediafire.com/?78n5uvjsh4gq2lr

If you need the mesh, it's here: http://www.coolsims.net//sections/d...net_fhair34.rar

It still is not working, the original unbinned files above work fine, but whenever I try to import it to Hair Binner, it crashes.

Thank you ^_^
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#118 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 8:46 PM
Mossnose40 Thanks, looking into it, will post here when I fix it...

Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#119 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 1:03 AM
I AM SOOO glad you finally got featured! Congratulations, Cat!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator THANKS POST
#120 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 1:15 AM
Congratulations on your feature Cat
Meet Me In My Next Life
THANKS POST
#121 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 1:52 AM Last edited by Simonut : 19th Mar 2011 at 3:55 AM.
Ok maybe, I am on another planet than most people but I do not understand a thing here, not one thing. Like what, how, where and purpose. Just plain lost here.

Sometime a whole lot of words to explain something can be a bit confusing all together to take in. For me it is.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#122 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 1:54 AM
Oooooooo...I can't wait for your Mac version!
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#123 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
Ok maybe, I am on another planet than most people but I do not understand a thing here, not one thing. Like what, how, where and purpose. Just plain lost here.

Sometime a whole lots of words to explain something can be a bit confusing all together to take in. For me it is.

This is a tool for color binning hair. Does that help? Blond hair goes in the blond catalog bin, red hair goes in the red catalog bin, etc.

fway, leesester Thank you! I'm honored and SO happy.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#124 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 2:39 AM
alright, this is gonna sound realllllllly stupid, but i have no idea how to use this.
like, i get what it does, but where do i find the hair files to bin them? :s
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#125 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 3:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don't-Log-Out
alright, this is gonna sound realllllllly stupid, but i have no idea how to use this.
like, i get what it does, but where do i find the hair files to bin them? :s

Same place you put your CC, in your "My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads" folder.

Page 5 of 11