Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Dec 2017 at 7:23 PM
Default Samsung lied to me
So the phone I wanted in part because the display models had a working FM radio app, eg uses headphones as an antenna with no internet, just radio waves, doesn't have. So blatant false advertising. They lied. The Galaxy A5 2017 doesn't feature, nor through any combination of app installation will it work. There is no way to enable it, it's an OS level block.

Name and Shame time. Depending on how this goes I might make more noise, cause false advertising sucks.

TLDR: In store display models had a feature impossible to get on the purchased device. fuck Samsung.

This is for Canada, other countries may be different.

WowoW it's a badly hidden owo UwU Yeet skeet Idk what I'm doing
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 12:30 AM
That sucks, I have to say. I assume you've contacted Samsung already? Could've been a simple mistake.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 6:37 AM
You can go back to the shop and complain I guess? You do have some consumer rights in Canada.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 7:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
That sucks, I have to say. I assume you've contacted Samsung already? Could've been a simple mistake.

I have, customer service rep basically ended with "get an app." (Tried already) Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I'll try again. I Googled it, and other people have had the same problem. I'm going to do more. A software update would be needed to enable it meaning customer service will need to elevate it, which is why I'm keeping the ranting small scale for now, like you said.

And yeah, I'm going to go to the store when it's not Chirstmas anymore. :p

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 9:06 AM
That's weird that the display models had FM radios but yours didn't. Mist Samsung phones (I currently have an S8, but used an S4 for a few months back in 2014) don't have an FM radio. With streaming and apps like TuneIn Radio, it's becoming less common.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LaylaRox
That's weird that the display models had FM radios but yours didn't. Mist Samsung phones (I currently have an S8, but used an S4 for a few months back in 2014) don't have an FM radio. With streaming and apps like TuneIn Radio, it's becoming less common.

The problem with streaming apps is that Canadian carriers are awful, charging an arm and a leg for even a cheap data plan. Or are small and have limited coverage. For the low price of $70/month you can get "1 + 2GB" (Wat? It says bonus, maybe a sale?) of data, and 300 local (So long distance to call someone who's lived 3km away for years, just because their number is from another town, in province.) minutes. Unlimited minutes? Lucky you, $10 more for nation wide minutes. Unlimited data? Hahaha doesn't exist, tack on an extra $30 for 6GB and bam over $100/month for cell service. This is assuming you already own a phone, bump that up to $85/month for someone wanting

More importantly the same model of phone gets FM radio in other countries. Why are Canadian customers 2nd class? What makes us worse to Samsung?

Honestly this is about my breaking point in the sorry excuse of an industry cell phones are in Canada. Rip offs are one thing, false advertising is another (Every display model in multiple stores, multiple cities, multiple months, has had a working FM radio.)

Also yeah, this is a bit of a rant, I've just reached a boiling point. I've got a plan on where I'm going with this though, and just enough free time left to do it.

Thanks to everyone on here for reading and being sympathetic, you're good people.

Alchemist
#7 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 9:26 PM
I'd recommend you anything other than Apple and Samsung anyway. I've had a Sony which survived 4 years, after that a Samsung which died basically directly after warranty expired...(1 year)
I now have a Huawei since 2 years and no problems. Most of my friends also switched from Samsung or Apple to something else.
(Fairly off-topic, I know)

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#8 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 1:23 AM
Thanks for telling me. I'm Canadian and I have an older Samsung model that I was planning on upgrading. Might not do that now.
Scholar
#9 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 3:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cord11
So the phone I wanted in part because the display models had a working FM radio app, eg uses headphones as an antenna with no internet, just radio waves, doesn't have. So blatant false advertising. They lied. The Galaxy A5 2017 doesn't feature, nor through any combination of app installation will it work. There is no way to enable it, it's an OS level block.

Name and Shame time. Depending on how this goes I might make more noise, cause false advertising sucks.

TLDR: In store display models had a feature impossible to get on the purchased device. fuck Samsung.

This is for Canada, other countries may be different.

Yo, I think that's just your phone in particular or a US/Canada model thing. My dad and I both have the 2017 Galaxy A5 but from two totally different places (EU and an import model) and neither of us have had problems with the radio app (its automatically on your home screen next to the app drawer button). Hopefully there's a solution because its a pretty good phone that'll definitely last several years.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 3:30 PM
What is the deal with Canada? First, Ihatemandatoryregister can't get to a doctor for 6 months, and now I find out their cell phone plans are from the 90's,

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#11 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 3:33 PM
Big country, relatively small population, upgrading infrastructure costs a bunch. That's all I can think of right now
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Dec 2017 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
I'd recommend you anything other than Apple and Samsung anyway. I've had a Sony which survived 4 years, after that a Samsung which died basically directly after warranty expired...(1 year)
I now have a Huawei since 2 years and no problems. Most of my friends also switched from Samsung or Apple to something else.
(Fairly off-topic, I know)

You know I would actually have gotten the Moro G5 Plus if it was released in Canada. We only got the normal G5.

But yeah, LG might be promising aside from the price. The Q6 isn't too expensive, but I haven't looked too much into it. It might also no be avalible unlocked. I agree that broading horizons is good, but I live in a country with less people than Greater Tokyo, so RIP me.

I actually went to check the display model and it's a different model. Like if they used one that only had different network bands it'd be all good, but there's missing features. I've got pictures and videos of the displays, and have a support chat from a Samsung rep stating no Canadian devices have FM radio. I need to actually talk to someone at Costco just to ensure my suspicions of the displays being standardized, then I'll file a false advertising complaint and attempt to go public. Nothing like a bit of negative PR to take a company down a peg.

Ok weird part is that I feel slightly guilty using a device I might return in the end. A fear of getting in trouble, even though worst thing worst is I get yelled at. I have to remind myself that I'm the customer (the phone was a gift actually, not thst who paid matters) and Samsung ducked me over. Duck them!

We need an angry smilie on here btw. I just can't express my rage and evilness('evil') through eyerolls!

I'm probably rambling, so yeah reply or don't folks, this was just the start of my PR plan before the pieces started falling in place. (Evil scheming smilies go here) 😈

Edit: PR plan as in if this isn't resolved I'll do what a lot of people don't in these kind of situations and call them out. Not some pre planned greedy thing, I just want the thing sub $100 feature phones have. My trust in Samsung has certainly dropped over this.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
Yo, I think that's just your phone in particular or a US/Canada model thing. My dad and I both have the 2017 Galaxy A5 but from two totally different places (EU and an import model) and neither of us have had problems with the radio app (its automatically on your home screen next to the app drawer button). Hopefully there's a solution because its a pretty good phone that'll definitely last several years.

Oh I didn't see most of these replies, whoops.

But yeah, it's exactly a Canadian thing. Samsung support confirmed it. It's removed from all Samsung Canada devices, regardless of the fact that they provide the display model. I'm going to take the Twitter route, and rope all the stores that have the misleading display models just so they'll put some extra pressure on Samsung onto of the publicity of it all.

And for that doctor thing, our medical system is kinda ducked right now. Each province is in charge of their own healthcare, but some of the larger ones have been underfunded for over a decade, cough cough fuck the BC Liberals, cough cough. I went through the entire K-12 system with teacher strikes in grade 1 and 10, and it was resolved just in time for the kids a grade below me to have a single year of proper funding, and only thanks to the Supreme court of Canada. That's another topic though.

dodgy builder
#14 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 12:14 PM
... but I mean, for Samsung to remove that option in only one country must be expensive? You're sure it's not some legal bullshit going on?