Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 11:05 AM
Default CAS texture hierarchy?
I am trying to create a couple of items, one of which is supposed to overlay on top of the other, making everything it covers disappear - from a mesh standpoint, this is working great, but I cannot get the overlaying item to display its own texture, the only texture showing is the one of the item underneath, with the overlaying texture showing beneath the alpha areas. Currently, the item underneath is classed as Skin Detail / Forehead and the item on top is classed as Earrings - I had assumed that skin detail textures would be at the bottom, and earrings nearer the top, but obviously I was mistaken. Is there a listing somewhere of the order in which the different CAS textures are overlaid on top one another, so that perhaps I can recategorise them and get it to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 11:24 AM
From this thread http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=556855 / this tutorial http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=540210 I'd think it's the CompositionMethod that controls this.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 11:25 AM Last edited by Qahne : 24th Aug 2015 at 12:13 PM.
Woo, thank you PB! The problem was that both were set to 0x00 in the composition method; for future reference, 0x03 is the composition method for skin details, since this wasn't mentioned in the tutorial thread you linked me to.

Quote:
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:12 PM
Can you post that in the tutorial thread perhaps? That way it's more useful for others.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:13 PM
Update: turns out the composition method seems to act more like a shader than a sort order - my items are 3D meshes and they freaked out a little when I changed the comp. method, as you'd expect when changing the shader in the GEOM files.

The entry titled "sort layer" is what gives the game the order in which to arrange the textures - that seems to be purely what it does. I've not figured out the actual numbering system for it, but there seems to be one there. 0x000029CC (copied from boots) composites below 0x00003E80 (copied from a full body outfit). I suppose each type of item has its own number for its own texture layer, but one would have to look at a lot of different items to be sure.

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Qahne
Update: turns out the composition method seems to act more like a shader than a sort order - my items are 3D meshes and they freaked out a little when I changed the comp. method, as you'd expect when changing the shader in the GEOM files.

The entry titled "sort layer" is what gives the game the order in which to arrange the textures - that seems to be purely what it does. I've not figured out the actual numbering system for it, but there seems to be one there. 0x000029CC (copied from boots) composites below 0x00003E80 (copied from a full body outfit). I suppose each type of item has its own number for its own texture layer, but one would have to look at a lot of different items to be sure.

Hello, here is some info about sort layers that you might find helpful.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#7 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 12:37 PM
I've not had much luck with the Sort Layer - once tried to fix a long top that got overlaid with some (not all) bottom textures, and the Sort Layer didn't help. IMO something else is going on in at least some cases.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4