Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 5:18 PM
Well I tried it and the game would not start. Removing the d9d3.dll file the game would start with other files in place. So it appears that file is incompatiable with either my OS or graphics dirvers. I installed them in where the TS3W.exe file is.

Win 7 64 bit Prof
ATI Radeon 5750
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#27 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 6:58 PM
^
With that spec, it should work.

May be you should download and install the latest DirextX.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 8:47 PM Last edited by yeabil : 1st Jan 2012 at 9:18 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Celebriton
^
With that spec, it should work.

May be you should download and install the latest DirextX.

Well I'll check it out and see if I have the lastest version. ETA: Have direct x 11.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 11:09 PM Last edited by Weisskreuz : 2nd Jan 2012 at 12:25 AM.
I checked the readme that came with the newer program you recommended. It said that "this version is for Directx 9".
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
I read the readme that came with the newer program you recommened. It said that "this version is for Directx 9".

Ok that explains it.
Forum Resident
#31 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 8:46 AM Last edited by noxnoxnox : 2nd Jan 2012 at 9:07 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by yeabil
Well I tried it and the game would not start. Removing the d9d3.dll file the game would start with other files in place. So it appears that file is incompatiable with either my OS or graphics dirvers. I installed them in where the TS3W.exe file is.

Win 7 64 bit Prof
ATI Radeon 5750

I also tried it on 64 bit/DirectX 11 and at first, it informed me that the game cannot start because a dll is missing, installed the dll, TS3 starts with error. So there is no version for DirectX 11?
STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO backup BEFORE MESSING WITH YOUR GAME FILE.
I can't start my game after removing the tool.
Instructor
#32 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 9:20 AM
Well it is strongly recommended to back up your game even for patching, so..

I don't really see the difference with this program.
All it seems to do is change the saturation.
Forum Resident
#33 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 1:39 PM
I can't see a difference in the pictures people have posted so far... are there any other examples?
Theorist
#34 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 3:14 PM
Here's a little comparison.
You can see that afterwards, the contours of the wood can be seen better, plant leaves can be distinguished from each other more, and everything is about 5% less blurry, at the expense of more jagged 'jaggies' which can be seen where the wood meets the white of the chair fabric.

The difference is minimal tbh, although it is worth it. I'm still trying different combinations, so there may yet be more graphics juice to be squeezed out.

There is also a TS3 HQ mod out, which may or may not work with this
http://awtmk.blogspot.com/2011/03/ts3-hqmod.html

Before and after

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy
I can't see a difference in the pictures people have posted so far... are there any other examples?

You can turn on and off FXAA tool in game by pressing "Pause" button on keyboard.

Make sure you configure the FXAA tool first and save it, to make sure something change. If nothing happen, then FXAA Tool doesn't work.
Instructor
Original Poster
#36 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 7:21 PM
Did everyone notice?

After playing for a while with the latest FXAA Tool, FXAAToolHg4.zip. It feel so plain, I lost the charm of the early experience with the FXAA Tool. After trying to figure it out, I finally found that the ealy FXAA Tool, FxaaInjTool.26.zip seems to be better. It has higher contrast and colorful. While the latest FXAAToolHg4.zip already fixed the contrast and color problem to be more accurate to the original color and contrast of The Sims 3.

But.....whatever FxaaInjTool.26.zip color and contrast are inaccurate, I like it. It feel much much better to me. So I move back to the early FxaaInjTool.26.zip. For someone who want "moar", I recommend to choose FxaaInjTool.26.zip over FXAAToolHg4.zip. And for someone who want the standard The Sims 3 color and contrast, choose FXAAToolHg4.zip.

After playing for a while with the FxaaInjTool.26.zip, here's the best setting I found:

AntiAliasing: 9 5 4 4
Taken from the standard setting of FXAAToolHg4.zip. It seems to be the best.....well, according to the tool creator. May be someone can find better setting.

PreSharpen: OFF
For someone who want to activate it, the standard setting from FXAAToolHg4.zip is 1 3 2 1 + HQ Sharpening.

Bloom: 5 5 5 5
If you want more bloom 5 5 5 6 or 5 5 6 6.

ToneMap: 4 5 4 5 5
You can increase the Exposure to 6 if you want brighter sunlight as bright as the real sunlight (some people love this effect). For more color, increase Saturation up to 5.

TechniColor: OFF
For standard setting and to safe resources, it's better to be off.

Sepia: OFF
For standard setting and to safe resources, it's better to be off.

PostSharpen: 3
3 is the standard setting in FXAAToolHg4.zip. You can increase and decrease it to suit your taste.

But of course it's not always like that. People taste are different from one to another. You can figure it out by yourself.
Instructor
Original Poster
#37 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 7:40 PM
InjectSMAA

InjectSMAA is a Post Processing Injector Tool, similar with FXAA Tool. Unlike FXAA Tool that came with Bloom, HDR, Sharpen, Color, etc. InjectSMAA just came with Anti Aliasing alone. Sound boring, but InjectSMAA's anti aliasing, probably is the best anti aliasing so far, almost perfect with very small performance reduction. So perfect that you never saw any jaggies in The Sims 3, never! Well, almost never. If you just need the anti aliasing without any eye candy features, I recommend to use InjectSMAA!

InjectSMAA can't work together with FXAA, so you must remove FXAA Tool before using InjectSMAA. Well, until I or someone can figure it out to make it work together. I saw someone did it with other games, but I don't know how to do it yet.

Click here to download:
http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

How to install:
1. Download the latest file from the link above.
2. Open the file and you can see there are two folders, choose d3d9 since The Sims 3 run in DirectX 9.
3. Extract the files inside d3d9 folder to the folder where TS3W.exe located.
X:\.....................\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
4. Run the game and see the different!

How to configure:
1. Open "injector.ini" with notepad.
2. Find this text:

[smaa]
;smaa preset one of {SMAA_PRESET_LOW, SMAA_PRESET_MEDIUM, SMAA_PRESET_HIGH, SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA}
preset = SMAA_PRESET_HIGH

3. There are 4 options: Low, Medium, High and Ultra. As you see from (preset = SMAA_PRESET_HIGH) the default setting is High.
4. Change the word HIGH with 4 other options that suit with your CPU/GPU power. It seems the High setting is a bit heavier than FXAA Tool's anti aliasing, but look better.
Forum Resident
#38 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Celebriton
InjectSMAA

InjectSMAA is a Post Processing Injector Tool, similar with FXAA Tool.

Thanks, I would prefer it if my game were brighter but the d3d9 is crashing my game. I'll take just anti-aliasing.
Instructor
Original Poster
#39 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 11:09 AM Last edited by Celebriton : 3rd Jan 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by noxnoxnox
I also tried it on 64 bit/DirectX 11 and at first, it informed me that the game cannot start because a dll is missing, installed the dll, TS3 starts with error. So there is no version for DirectX 11?
STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO backup BEFORE MESSING WITH YOUR GAME FILE.
I can't start my game after removing the tool.

Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
Thanks, I would prefer it if my game were brighter but the d3d9 is crashing my game. I'll take just anti-aliasing.

I'm so sorry for all the trouble you get.

Try to download and install the latest the most complete version of DirectX.

I hope it help.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 1:06 PM
Well I tried it on Sims 2, and... the game crashed when loading Pleasantview. It might not be the tool, because I haven't been on the game in a long time. But I'll try again later.

CHOCKLAT.
Instructor
Original Poster
#41 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 7:33 PM
UPDATE: NEW PROBLEM FOUND

You can't import anything with The Sims Launcher with FXAA installed.

The way to solve the problem is by removing the d3d9.dll from the bin folder to somewhere else. After you finished import anything with the Launcher, put back the d3d9.dll file back to bin folder and start the game.
Instructor
Original Poster
#42 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmie
Well I tried it on Sims 2, and... the game crashed when loading Pleasantview. It might not be the tool, because I haven't been on the game in a long time. But I'll try again later.

Usually if you can start the game, then FXAA tool works. Any error inside the game is the game own problem. Usually.......

But I'm not sure, need to test more further.
#43 Old 6th Jan 2012 at 4:34 AM
i'm really hesitant to try this but if any thing my geforce6150SE could use the boost. On low it's horrible and i haven't tried higher settings yet as i just got the game today.

so i just drop these files into the bin folder on the c drive where the game is? Could these be potentially subfoldered so i know what files to delete if i decided to take it out? i see alot of stuff in the bin folder that makes me iffy about my memory of what will be what to remove lol.
Instructor
Original Poster
#44 Old 12th Jan 2012 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SingleClawDesigns
i'm really hesitant to try this but if any thing my geforce6150SE could use the boost. On low it's horrible and i haven't tried higher settings yet as i just got the game today.

so i just drop these files into the bin folder on the c drive where the game is? Could these be potentially subfoldered so i know what files to delete if i decided to take it out? i see alot of stuff in the bin folder that makes me iffy about my memory of what will be what to remove lol.

Yes, you just need to drop the files to the bin folder. If you look at the folder structure inside the zip file, the FXAAtool.exe (and friends) must be in the same folder as TS3W.exe, with injFX_Shaders as subfolder.

I don't know about GeForce 6150SE, it seems quite old.
Test Subject
#45 Old 13th Dec 2012 at 3:21 PM
I tried both the FXAA Tool as well as SweetFX, and both produce the same result: using splitscreen I see that gamma adjustment works but the anti-aliasing only seems to be applied to the user interface, it makes no difference whatsoever on the 3D graphics.

Has anyone else successfully applied anti-aliasing using either of these? I'm running the latest version on a Radeon 6850.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 13th Dec 2012 at 3:49 PM
umm... who needs it? i just fire up FXAA from my GPU driver.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#47 Old 13th Dec 2012 at 4:23 PM
Ooh, a 6150SE. I'll pay to get into your computing museum!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
#48 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 6:47 PM
Not sure if it's any use posting here after all this time, but the latest version of the FXAA prevents me from starting the game. It'll open a window for a split second and then terminate the TS3.exe
I guess it doesn't like the .dll files added.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Page 2 of 2