Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:20 PM
New to Sims 3 & Question
Hello. I am new to The Sims 3, .. yah, yah, I know! I have played sims 2 for a long time and finally wanted to move up. I researched all I could about sims 3 and sims 4 and decided I wanted 3 instead. I am really liking it so far.

But this curfew thing is just killing me. There is not enough time in the day for my teen sim and I really need to get rid of that curfew. I downloaded The Curfew Disabler by Sniper296, but I was thrown by it, because the file extension does not have a .package or a .mod at the end, but instead has .7z ... which I don't know what to do with. I don't see .7z files listed in the "how to install" pages either. I put the file in with mods and with packages. Nothing happens in game. I am not surprised. I am sure I am not installing this correctly.

Can someone please tell me what to do with this .7z file, and how to make it actually active in game?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:55 PM
.7z is a zip file. Download 7zip software to open it. And if you need to know how to place .package file, check tutorial.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:57 PM
It's a compressed file, like a zip file. You need 7-zip to open it and get the package file inside.

7-zip is open source.

Http:// www.7-zip.org
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
.7z is a zip file. Download 7zip software to open it. And if you need to know how to place .package file, check tutorial.

Lol! I type too slowly on my phone. You beat me to it. Well played, tomomi, well played indeed!
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
Lol! I type too slowly on my phone. You beat me to it. Well played, tomomi, well played indeed!

You put up with tiny web browser on your phone to check this forum?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:11 PM
Thanks y'all. I know it is a zip file, the trouble is... when I unzip it, the file itself, inside... is also a .7z It is not a .package file inside. Unzipping it reveals a .7z file inside, rather than a .package file.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ooBobbi
Thanks y'all. I know it is a zip file, the trouble is... when I unzip it, the file itself, inside... is also a .7z It is not a .package file inside. Unzipping it reveals a .7z file inside, rather than a .package file.

Show me the link. It is unlikely they nest so many zip files for no reason.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:17 PM
I just downloaded it to check and it unzipped fine and it was a package file. Maybe it's not unzipping for some reason.
When you click on the download it should ask what you want the browser to do with the file and 7-zip (or whatever archive tool you're using) should be there.
If, for example, you saved to the Desktop and the file's still zipped, you can right click on it and then select '7-zip' from the list and choose 'extract here(desktop in this case)' (or wherever you want the file to go) and the package file will appear on the Desktop unzipped.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 9:13 PM
Thanks again! It was my zip program causing the troubles. stuart-grey called it right by telling me that I needed the 7zip program. Sorry again for my ignorance - a bit unsettling to know that there are still some of us running around loose in society who are computer illiterate!

Thanks again and hugs and kisses to all
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 3:15 PM
I recommend Twallan's StoryProgression. There is a setting to determine which days of the week to enforce curfew, or to disable curfew entirely. Plus, you also get all the awesomeness of StoryProgression!

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
I recommend Twallan's StoryProgression. There is a setting to determine which days of the week to enforce curfew, or to disable curfew entirely. Plus, you also get all the awesomeness of StoryProgression!

Thanks! I actually went ahead and re-enabled age progression for my teen daughter, because ... even though not being chased around by the police and brought home to me even though I was the one sending her to the gym for those late night workouts, it didn't take me long to find out that - teens are so limited they can't even speak to celebrities. So, I went ahead and enabled aging to get her to her birthday, then turned off aging again.

Nowwww... I can't get her to go to work! Carpool comes for her and she is standing right there in front of them as they sit there blowing the horn, and she will NOT go to work no matter what I do.. errgh!
#12 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer

I don't/didn't understand StoryProgression. Castes? And what's with all the messages about things I don't care about? Chase out all the homeless?

So I want to buy a clue. How does a complete newbie to NRAAS Story Progression squeeze fun out of it?
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 10:12 PM
I don't play with Castes, it's an option Twallan added but does not fit my playstyle. When you first start a new game you will be given an option to clear homeless sims from the world. It's nothing to worry about, so let them be cleared. http://nraas.wikispaces.com/x-What%...less%20sims%20?

For the most part I leave the default StoryProgression settings alone and only tweak a little here and there. There are indeed many options to choose if doing so fits your game. Just installing StoryProgression as it comes out-of-the-box dramatically improves the game. While your at it, install MasterController and ErrorTrap also. Those three mods combined are a god send for Sims 3.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 3:30 AM
Also it doesn't make sims disappear into nothingness like EA progression tends to do.

It does require some reading but I haven't tweaked it much. You can turn of stories for certain types of sims or storyprogression issues (for example, I don't care if some sim has gained a skillpoint, so I turned that off) , so you don't get as many messages.

So, Twallan's Storyprogression is absolutely worth the slight performance decrease for a better game overall!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
I don't/didn't understand StoryProgression. Castes? And what's with all the messages about things I don't care about? Chase out all the homeless?

So I want to buy a clue. How does a complete newbie to NRAAS Story Progression squeeze fun out of it?

Almost every NRaas mod has a FAQ page. SP's is long, but actually very readable if you just scroll down past the internal 17 sublinks that appear at the beginning. It should answer all of these questions, for those willing to take the time to read it.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression+FAQ