Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.4 *4/29/09*

by dDefinder Posted 27th Jun 2008 at 3:46 PM - Updated 29th Apr 2009 at 1:24 PM by dDefinder : to 2.4

556 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 481 Feedback Posts, 74 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 3 of 23
The ModFather
retired moderator
#51 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 8:40 AM
Some (many) files in the folder The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Lights do NOT get overwritten by the ones from the backup; you should manually delete all the "RLS..." files from the folder and then copying the backup ones.

If you just copy the backup, you will end up with a Lights folder containing the Maxis files plus a bunch of RLS files that may cause problems.

I hope I'll be able to post the Scriptorium installer this afternoon: it performs automatically a perfectly clean up of your system before restoring the Maxis originals.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#52 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 3:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dDefinder

@crowgirl
It’s a known issue that dawn and dusk can’t be set for vacation lots.

I have noticed that, but i have an issue at night time, the sky and neighborhood go dark but not the vacation lot i am playing on.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#53 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 3:36 PM

The new SCRIPTORIUM v. 2.0 has been released.

Anyone interested in an automatic installation of the Radiance 2.3 is invited to use the Scriptorium installer.

The Scriptorium can also completely remove the Radiance (any version, including the older ones) and restore the original Maxis lighting system.
Whenever you feel you have messed up your game and want a proper restoration of the Maxis files, run the Scriptorium and choose the option "Restore Maxis Lights & Uninstall Scriptorium" (the option can be used even if you never used the Scriptorium before, and you have messed up your game by manually installing/removing the Radiance).

IMPORTANT - EVERY QUESTION REGARDING THE SCRIPTORIUM MUST BE ASKED IN THE SCRIPTORIUM THREAD.
Let's not clog dDefender's thread with questions not related to the Radiance.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#54 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 10:59 PM
Oh, my god! I have been pining for an update to the old one for SO long, thank you SO much!!! I'm exploding in glitter and dismembered butterflies over here, you've made my millenium!!!
Test Subject
#55 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor

The new SCRIPTORIUM v. 2.0 has been released.

Anyone interested in an automatic installation of the Radiance 2.3 is invited to use the Scriptorium installer.

The Scriptorium can also completely remove the Radiance (any version, including the older ones) and restore the original Maxis lighting system.
Whenever you feel you have messed up your game and want a proper restoration of the Maxis files, run the Scriptorium and choose the option "Restore Maxis Lights & Uninstall Scriptorium" (the option can be used even if you never used the Scriptorium before, and you have messed up your game by manually installing/removing the Radiance).

IMPORTANT - EVERY QUESTION REGARDING THE SCRIPTORIUM MUST BE ASKED IN THE SCRIPTORIUM THREAD.
Let's not clog dDefender's thread with questions not related to the Radiance.

Thank you very much, I will be sure to use this to uninstall it!
Test Subject
#56 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 11:19 PM
I downloaded this by accident in scriptorium and I think I deleted it but at dawn in the early morning everything is reddish orange looking and the lamps dont work like they normally do. Lol its realistic looking I dont like it how do I get rid of it?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#57 Old 5th Jul 2008 at 1:30 AM
Well, "by accident" it's difficult The Radiance options are deselected by default, and when you select one, you get a warning message before installing.

However, the correct way to completely remove the Radiance is to run the Scriptorium installer and choose the option "Restore Maxis Lights & Uninstall Scriptorium".

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#58 Old 5th Jul 2008 at 10:15 AM Last edited by dDefinder : 5th Jul 2008 at 10:48 AM.
Building and sealed rooms:
It’s best that you place temporarily place lights or windows in spots on where you are building. For dark sealed rooms, place a light in there and left click the light and have it turn on… this room. It will keep the light on even if there is no Sims in the room.

If you find lights are not affecting objects, you should re-buy those lights as they still may contain old settings.

@Lillz
Try to install the mod with the Scriptorium v2.0.

@Numenor
It’s a feature, but I may have over-exaggerated the position of the sun based on what Season it is. Should I change this?

@daydream_gueen
It has to do with a light in the room that is on the edge of its radius, currently fixing this.

@timoram26
Reinstall it after you’ve installed EA Store. Other problems I’ve heard about RLS and EA Store is new lamps won’t have any light coming out of them. I’m guess that they didn’t come with an .nlo file or if they even need them?

@yeabil
The snow outside is different than the snow in lot. The problem is with the “light” snow texture not getting affect by any lot lighting. The texture maybe a shader effect which is probably the reasons it doesn’t change to lighting.

The lighting outside the lot is not utilizing the extra lighting dynamics as Maxis intend.

@crowgirl
I found that it was a glitch with the vacation night not being able to recognize that is meant to be used for night. This accrued when I was attempting it to use evening and morning. This will be fixed.

@gwenpan
@grea8
Do both of you have BV? I’ve updated the backup files to use a backup of BV and not an older version of RLS which could have been the problem.

"High difficulty can lead to Phoenix Down addiction."
The ModFather
retired moderator
#59 Old 5th Jul 2008 at 12:44 PM Last edited by Numenor : 5th Jul 2008 at 12:49 PM.
@Numenor
It’s a feature, but I may have over-exaggerated the position of the sun based on what Season it is. Should I change this?

I know that many users like to rotate and place the lot in the neighborhood so to have the sunlight hitting the lot from a particular direction (many people like to have the front door in full light. If you look at my screenshots, the front of the house is shadowed, during spring and fall, and this might bother those users.
Personally, I play too little to really be bothered by that , so the decision is up to you

@gwenpan
@grea8
Do both of you have BV? I’ve updated the backup files to use a backup of BV and not an older version of RLS which could have been the problem.

The Scriptorium contains a full backup of the original Maxis lighting system up to IKEA, and it also removes all the possible remainings of older RLS installation (manual or automatic), so I'd be quite surprised if the Scriptorium wouldn't be able to completely fix and restore their games (of course, it is always possible that the Scriptorium doesn't work as it is supposed to do: I'm not infallible, you know )

Test Subject
#60 Old 6th Jul 2008 at 3:57 AM
To whom it may concern... I was able to solve my problem with the pitch-black daytime indoors by resetting lighting to high. Shadows on medium do not hurt it.

It all looks beautiful though, thank you.
Test Subject
#61 Old 6th Jul 2008 at 5:12 AM
I dont think I got this through scriptorium because I didnt get a warning message. But all rooms without windows are pitch black and ive followed everything I could find to tell me how to get rid of this and nothing has worked. Its driving me CRAZY I haven't played for 4 days. I have no idea how to get rid of it and i'm worried that ive tried soo much that ive gotten rid of the files that could fix it or something. I really need help I dont know what i'm doing.
Test Subject
#62 Old 6th Jul 2008 at 6:47 AM
Adding to my last comment. When i put the maxis backup folders in all together nothing changed. So I moved some in and some out. I found out that the objects folder either makes everything dark but the lights work or in a older backup file I downloaded the lights dont work at all. Futhermore theres still some graphic things like at sunset the outside is really reddish orange and at dawn its very dark even inside the house. So I dont think ive really gotten rid of the mod.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#63 Old 6th Jul 2008 at 9:59 AM
UPDATE:
2.3 Beta 1.4 JULY-06
--EA Store's new light objects now under RLS control
--Adjusted fire and neon lights
--Minor changes to dawn
--Adjustments to night and indoor to outdoor window fallout
--Changes to fallout ranges for lights and windows.
--Fixed default CAS shadow problems on Sims faces
--Fixed day and not not Transitioning correctly for BV lots.
--Change sun places to near original positions to preserve constancy with overcast, dawn and dusk.
--backup zip files have been updated for its OFB and teen stuff to use the maxis default lighting and not an old version of RLS.

@grae8
Try deleting all the lights folder in all of your Sims 2 games

redownload the backup file as it has been updated

extract to your EP's, SP's and the base game.

Field Researcher
#64 Old 6th Jul 2008 at 11:31 PM
I have a question, before I install this.

The last time I used the older Radiance Light System my game didn't look very different at all, while playing it. However, when I took screen shots (using the in game camera, using print screen, as well as using Fraps) and then viewed them as .jpg and .gif, they had the advanced lighting effects (usually very dark).

I know this isn't only a problem I'm having with The Sims. When I paint in Photoshop or OpenCanvas the finished piece is much darker when saved as a .jpg or .gif (or any other final image format).

The only game I play that isn't effected by this strange light/dark problem is World of Warcraft. I have, under video settings, unchecked the game from using my desktop gamma.

So it's a gamma problem? Great! What do I do to change my desktop gamma?
Test Subject
#65 Old 7th Jul 2008 at 8:46 AM Last edited by Cati : 7th Jul 2008 at 9:27 AM. Reason: Well, actually.
You seem to have reversed the windows. Now instead of throwing lots of light on what's near them and little light on what's far away, they throw little light on what's near them and lots of light on what's far away.

Edit: After a bit more testing it seems to peak at 3 or 4 tiles away and then start getting darker. So... is it intentional? *sheepish*
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#66 Old 7th Jul 2008 at 9:26 AM Last edited by dDefinder : 7th Jul 2008 at 9:58 AM.
@Cati
thanks, I'll looking into this.

EDIT: I haven't seen any problems with the windows. You mean the lights from the window to the wall or the objects?

@chibspan
screenshots only get affected by in-game gamma than with monitor settings. Brighten your desktop brightness and see if that works.

Test Subject
#67 Old 7th Jul 2008 at 10:18 AM
Only to the objects. The walls and floors seem to work, but the objects and interior doors and such are dark near the windows and get brighter three/four spaces out.

Windows set up like this make objects light up like this

I can see why the one right next to the window wouldn't light up because it's under the window, but not why the farthest object is the most lit.

It's visible with only one window, but not as much - and from the other side, it doesn't show the same pattern, so the windows on the left side of the picture aren't what's making the vases in the back of the room brighter.
Field Researcher
#68 Old 7th Jul 2008 at 5:56 PM
I messed around a little with my graphic card's settings and now the problem seems to be fixed. RLS makes my game stunning, thank you for updating it!
Field Researcher
#69 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 6:44 AM
Has anyone had issues with using the Murano reflective floors with this mod? I just built a new computer and am moving everything in from the other one a bit at a time so it may be something else.... they worked before, though.

I had the RLS shader in and then took it out and really didn't notice any difference. I didn't change anything (i.e., true/false) either. I just checked to see if the reflective floors had an update or anything and notice that Murano floors are now downloadable from TRS and NOW have a shader file to download. ( I don't think I downloaded one long ago when I downloaded these.) Can't remember if I tried the reflective floors before or after I moved out the shader file so will try again...I love this mod but there are other things I love that seem to conflict so I'll have to weigh that. BTW, I have everything except IKEA stuff.

The only problems I have with this mod (other than the above IF it is the cause) is that (1) I seem to build a lot of bathrooms in the interior, which means they are always dark. I'm working around that by putting candles in the bathrooms and instructing them to be on at all times. Shoots down the realism but it is difficult to get around having this black "hole" in the middle of the house! I had also built one of those swimming pools with 3 sides glassed in and the upstairs with a basement piece for the 2nd floor BUT having to place tiles on the ground (below basement level) for pool access. This meant that the pool and access were treated as an indoor room and had to have the lights turned on permanently to really see things. (2) Sims getting up in the middle of the night seem to stumble around in the dark at times - directing them is like the blind leading the blind. (3) I'll have to check that light thing...I'd noticed one of my outdoor wall lights was barely putting out any light so I'll take more notice.

Another question - does anyone know if there is some sort of nightlight (especially one that looks like it plugs into the wall outlet) I can download that will look more realistic than a candle?

Even with the above minor problems, this is a great mod and far beyond my comprehension as to how in the world this could ever be done <grin> and I hope I can keep it.
Test Subject
#70 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 9:12 PM
ok i cant download it says Not authorised!
You are not allowed to get this file. If you are a MTS2 supporter, or a Featured Artist, or a MooMoo winner, then you must log out of the site and log back in again to access these pages. plzzzzzzzz help

when all else fails , give up!
Test Subject
#71 Old 11th Jul 2008 at 6:56 PM Last edited by daydream_queen : 11th Jul 2008 at 7:36 PM. Reason: More issues with this mod
I'm having a problem using chris 997's New Weather Atmosphere with this mod. The custom skies don't show up properly, and the sky just looks like the regular Maxis sky. Also, niol's custom water colors here http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...165#post1603165 don't show up when I've got the shaders turned on, but for some reason, the "wavy" recolour shows. I know my computer can show shaders, because the fish are visible, but the pond color doesn't change.

Edit: I just checked it in game, and noticed some other weird things happening. When I tested the Weather Atmosphere changer, I noticed that the atmosphere changer itself was changing color when I changed months, but the sky wasn't changing. Also, the sky didn't change color at sunset - it was still pale blue (this is after I removed the New Weather Atmosphere object). Shouldn't the sky change color at sunset and sunrise? Did I not install the Radiance Lighting System correctly, or is it a problem with the mod itself?

I attatched a few pictures to show what was happening.
Screenshots
Attached Images

Field Researcher
#72 Old 12th Jul 2008 at 3:52 AM
I noticed in the installation description that some folders in the /EA GAMES folder get overwritten? I have empty templates, so I'm wondering if this mod will affect and/or overwrite them? Thanks in advance. PS. I plan to use the Scriptorium method of installation btw, not the manual.

"why everything that's 'posed to be bad make me feel so good???" -kanye west
Top Secret Researcher
#73 Old 12th Jul 2008 at 9:47 AM Last edited by fway : 12th Jul 2008 at 10:33 AM.
This may need to either be put in beta 1.5 or 1.4a, when taking photo booth pictures, the pictures become "over exposed" so to speak, or better yet, you get a silhouette of the sim when the photo booth pictures come out.

Test Subject
#74 Old 12th Jul 2008 at 1:34 PM
Wow this mod is really realistic!!! I downloaded it then played a few of my houses and my lighting now is way better than the Maxis lighting. I really enjoy also having dawn and dusk now it looks real nice. And night now is really darker than before, I saw that I have a moon and stars which I never knew I had!

Well thanks so much for this its great, S.R. Home Designs

Have you visited S.R. Home Designs.com? On my site you’ll find my latest home designs, community buildings, and more! So what are you waiting for? Click the link and check it out!

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#75 Old 12th Jul 2008 at 1:53 PM
daydream_queen - Niol's pond water mods work fine for me. Use this, not in the thread with Targa's stuff. I've got all EPs and have been using this mod and Niol's together just fine. The issue with chris997's mod is also unrelated to this one - you need to turn your view distance in your game options to max, otherwise the skies will look like the default.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Page 3 of 23