Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#1626 Old 24th May 2017 at 9:26 PM Last edited by whoward69 : 26th May 2017 at 2:37 PM.
Contestants
ContestantTotalsR1ScoreR2ScoreR3ScoreR4ScoreR5Score
Rosebine145Walters71Lamberts74Newmans
yavannatw146Walters69Elliotts77Evans
enebya123Walters64.5Rodneys57.5Elliotts
gummilutt58Walters58------58-----
Justpetro147.5Walters73.5Elliotts74Rodneys
Kukamuukaanmuka149Walters73.5Evans75.5Rodneys
ChisanaAoi117.5Walters66Lamberts51.5Newmans
Phantomknight148.5Walters75Evans73.5Lamberts
Peni Griffin137Walters66Rhodes71Lamberts
gazania149.5Walters73Newmans76.5Elliotts
Greenplumbbob140.5Walters70.5Rhodes70Rodneys
cowplant-simmer139Walters67.5Elliotts71.5
Voeille156.5Walters76.5Rodneys80Evans
scottiedoag132Walters67Lamberts65Rhodes
Goldenbtrfly142.5Walters70.5Evans72Newmans
gdayars137.5Walters67Elliotts70.5Evans
Mordant17147.5Walters74.5Rhodes73Lamberts
justJones148.5Walters75Rhodes73.5Evans
Sweet Mystre146Walters72Newmans74Elliotts
Aysarth138.5Walters67.5Rodneys71Elliotts
*_Drew~62Walters62-----62-----

Play AlongR1CommentsR2CommentsR3CommentR4CommentR5Comment
PhaenohWaltersRhodes:lovestrucEvans
SimsRocka778Walters
TheFlyingRaccoonWaltersRhodesLamberts
EssaWaltersRodneys
whoward69WaltersEvansRhodes
kanzenWalters
AndrewGloriaWaltersElliottsLamberts
HugeLunaticWalters:lovestruc
NatteryakToadWaltersElliotts:cylon:Lamberts
MystAngelWaltersNewmansRhodes

Edit: Round 1 was easy

Update:
Families By Round
FamilyRound 2Round 3Round 4
LambertsRosebine, ChisanaAoi, scottiedoag,Phantomknight, Peni Griffin, Mordant17, TheFlyingRaccoon, AndrewGloria, NatteryakToad
Elliottsyavannatw, Justpetro, cowplant-simmer, gdayars, AndrewGloria, NatteryakToadenebya, gazania, Sweet Mystre, Aysarth
Rodneysenebya, Voeille, Aysarth, EssaJustpetro, Kukamuukaanmuka, Greenplumbbob
EvansKukamuukaanmuka, Phantomknight, Goldenbtrfly, whoward69yavannatw, Voeille, gdayars, justJones, Phaenoh
RhodesPeni Griffin, Greenplumbbob, Mordant17, justJones, Phaenoh, TheFlyingRaccoonscottiedoag, whoward69, MystAngel
Newmansgazania, Sweet Mystre, MystAngelRosebine, ChisanaAoi, Goldenbtrfly

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Advertisement
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#1627 Old 24th May 2017 at 9:49 PM
Yes I am sure Round 1 was easy! that is nice of you William
Top Secret Researcher
#1628 Old 24th May 2017 at 9:49 PM
That was such a good suggestion, Phaenoh! ...and wow, quick work William!
Thank you, it's so much easier to compare builds now.
Scholar
#1629 Old 24th May 2017 at 9:56 PM
It looks like Elliot’s were chosen most often so far (8 entries overall). I don’t count Walter’s of course

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#1630 Old 24th May 2017 at 9:58 PM
Good job, William
Waiting for foundation party starts now since I have to wait until 3 in the morning
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#1631 Old 24th May 2017 at 10:35 PM Last edited by gdayars : 24th May 2017 at 11:19 PM.
Jo is sick. She sent me the file with the foundation, which I put up.

I have NO other information, other than Andrew has the picture so I trust that Andrew will get the picture to me, so I can insert it in the post. She popped on line long enough to leave me the file and that piece of news, and to tell me she was going back to bed

Edited to add, base game lot up, and budget is 80,000.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1632 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:22 PM
Okay guys, Nurofen has kicked in so I am here to say the budget is $80K.

William I will think about changing the table latter. I did mine based on another one I saw, didn't think about the family names. This is the first table I have ever done so I was not trying to be overly ambitious. I think I have the hang of it enough now to go change names. I will not however be copying yours. That table is my baby and whatever I do to it I will do it myself.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1633 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:38 PM
Drugs can be wonderful.

Just to add that TheFlyingRaccoon also put in a Round 3 lot ... the Lamberts.

What amazes me is that the difference between the families is not as large as I thought. Including both contestants and play-alongs, off-hand, I have:

1. 9 Lamberts (that was the biggest surprise to me, since that really is the the toughest of the families, IMO. Shows that many of us relish a good challenge!)
2. 9 Rhodes
3. 9 Elliotts
4. 8 Evans
5. 7 Rodneys and
6. 6 Newmans

I did not include my or anyone else's alternate entries. That might even push one of the Top 3 ahead.

Ahhhh ... gotta show those Newmans some love.

That's a hefty budget, and that's the good news. I still have lot-builder-block, and for me, that's the bad news; particularly since I have nine days, not fourteen, to come up with something. Ah, well. Perhaps the foundation will inspire me!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#1634 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:41 PM
Apart from the application round I judged the entries in family groups.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Scholar
#1635 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:47 PM
80k does sound nice I was thinking about tikki for this round, but I want to keep it no CC and tikki is not tikki without CS conversions, so I’ll probably decide on something else. This would be perfect for Rhodes, and I don’t think I’d be glad with something else for them, it just wouldn’t be that. Newmans maybe? 80k should be enough for a pet friendly house with a decent lush garden.

Edit: Imgur redirects from direct links (i.e. just pure image) to an image view in their site, so annoying

Simblr
Top Secret Researcher
#1636 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:53 PM Last edited by yavannatw : 25th May 2017 at 12:22 AM.
Is there a pic of the new foundation? Sorry if I missed something. I can't download it for a few days so have paper at the ready to plan... what I've no idea.

Edit: just saw it. Cool. Hmm. Is it a corner lot? Damn this is tricky. I can't even decide where the entrance will go.
Top Secret Researcher
#1637 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:01 AM
Oh yay, 80k! 6 more houses to go since I *have to* do them all. With this budget, this will be FUN.
You guys are going to kill it. :lovestruc

Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
80k does sound nice I was thinking about tikki for this round, but I want to keep it no CC and tikki is not tikki without CS conversions, so I’ll probably decide on something else. This would be perfect for Rhodes, and I don’t think I’d be glad with something else for them, it just wouldn’t be that. Newmans maybe? 80k should be enough for a pet friendly house with a decent lush garden.

I was thinking Tiki too, Voeille. No harm in trying at least. I'll probably do it as a side home and not a main entry.
Mad Poster
#1638 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:13 AM Last edited by gazania : 25th May 2017 at 12:38 AM.
I'm not thinking of much of anything for this round. It's not a hard foundation ... just a little more asymmetrical than the at least a couple of the last ones, which pretty much kills my original concept of the Rhodes house. I'm still coming up with a blank, but I believe it's time for me to pore through some house plans, Google images and a couple of other sources for inspiration. Even with my shortened rounds, I still have at least a week to go to get something out.

What concerns me, though, is that I won't be in the position to make any last-minute changes. Nope. What I'll have on Friday or perhaps Saturday if I can slip this in between packing (hoping I do get my postponement), is what I'll have to go with. I would, though, like to at least get a prototype long before to get my Sims a-craftin' if needed.

Goodness, though ... if you're going to do the Lamberts, this is the round to do it! With a healthy budget and a large foundation, you could do pretty darn well for them.

Strangely, I'm not thinking tikki. But if I go with what I'm thinking of, I might be going back in history again, and I don't know if I want to do that a second time. I mean, it's a different decade (though still a different century), but honestly, I don't always go back to the past!

What I rolled in order was Rhodes,then Rodneys. If I can't do the Rhodes, with my curtailed time limit, I will go to the Rodneys, and if in a day or so I'm still having trouble, I'll go with Evans. I don't have time to play around much.

@yavannatw .... I don't have FRAPS on this machine, and this is an in-game shot using the game's camera, but (gridlines deliberate) ...
Screenshots

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#1639 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:18 AM
I am not sure what I will do, I want to keep my cc free bonus. I DO have a nice new hood set up with nice tiki and castaway stuff, but don't want it for the contest hmmmm....

well not sure who I will go with the party people maybe? or maybe I will be brave.....

has to think...

if anybody notices anything awry with the corrections, please let me know, i am trying to edit for Jo right now, so I will correct if things look weird somewhere!
Top Secret Researcher
#1640 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:46 AM
Thanks, gazania. I edited later to say I'd seen it, although now I have I'm still blank... although from your pic it appears is not a corner lot.
Hmmmmmmmm
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1641 Old 25th May 2017 at 1:10 AM
No corner lots.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1642 Old 25th May 2017 at 1:22 AM
An §80K house? I've never built one that dear! And on a 2x2 lot too!? How can I possibly spend that much money on a little house?

With my [lack of] EPs I'm effectively limited to the base game families. There are two left for me: Jim Evans and the Rodneys. As I want to play these families medium to long term, and not just build for them, I intend to build houses for both of them, but I think I'll do the Rodneys as my entry on the foundation. I have an idea for a modern house for Jim Evans (inspired by Justpetro's photo), but I don't want to be constrained by a given foundation. I've already done the Rhodes's in an out-of-contest trailer lot. The only family I think I'll have to miss altogether are the Newmans. I just don't see how I can do them justice without the Pets EP. Sometime later I might see if I can add them owning some of Rebecah's animals; horses perhaps.

[EDIT] Jo can correct me on this, but I think you can the lot on a corner if you want to, but I don't think you have to put it on a corner. I've put two of my play-along entries on corners, and no one has yet said I've done anything wrong.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#1643 Old 25th May 2017 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
An §80K house? I've never built one that dear! And on a 2x2 lot too!? How can I possibly spend that much money on a little house?

Dense garden and you’ll find you need more money This lot is large, but doesn’t have much that isn’t a plant, yet it costs over 200k.

Simblr
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1644 Old 25th May 2017 at 1:45 AM
I meant I haven't uploaded any corner lot Andrew, feel free to use one if you want.

As to price, my beach house here http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=591365 is $229,304 it's very easy to spend way more than $80 K when making a large house.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#1645 Old 25th May 2017 at 2:28 AM
My most expensive residential lot is worth §453211, and most expensive lot overall costs §689149 (both uploaded here so I could check the exact prices). It’d be harder to reach such prices with CC, which is very often cheaper than Maxis equivalents.

Simblr
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#1646 Old 25th May 2017 at 4:14 AM
$90k single story foundation challenge house. I have no idea where the money went.
Mad Poster
#1647 Old 25th May 2017 at 5:04 AM
This lot is pretty deceptive. Not only is it on a smaller parcel, the foundation size also not that much different in square feet
than Round 3's dimensions (I have the houses across from each other in my test game). There 's not tons of room on each floor ... maybe that's why the budget is a little higher. I just tried my hand at a shipping-container lot for the Rhodes. While I know JustJones also did a shipping-container lot previously for them, mine was a different approach, and did not resemble hers in any way. I even snap_objected "hardware" on the corners, thought I was moving right along, and considered myself quite clever. Why was I so worried? I was well within budget, too. Piece of cake!

Well, pride goeth before a fall and all that, and the cake flopped. I can't fit the kitchen counters on the main floor! It's either get rid of the corner "hardware", which would detract from the effect I was attempting to pull off, or have a kitchen on the second floor, which you'll occasionally see on those apartment-hunter shows, but is certainly not desirable in the least.

Baaaack to the drawing board!

Mad Poster
#1648 Old 25th May 2017 at 6:11 AM
I've got a rough draft I'm pretty happy with. I've made some really weird decisions, though, and the place is cramped, especially the kitchen.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#1649 Old 25th May 2017 at 6:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I will not however be copying yours. That table is my baby and whatever I do to it I will do it myself.

Couldn't agree more!

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Mad Poster
#1650 Old 25th May 2017 at 7:12 AM
Good morning

Evaluating the foundation now. I do like the budget

Page 66 of 106