Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by p00jkins
Its neither you nor the procedure. Its the fact that the careers are not properly made in the first place. The problems from the old careers accumulate and cause problems even when you follow this procedure.

You can ask KLGFCG or others who used this procedure to convert to ep-ready. If the pre-ep careers were properly made, it will work. if not, it will need more tweaking.

I feared so, thx!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 10th Apr 2005 at 8:57 PM
First of all I want to thank p00jkins for the time and effort that she put into this tutorial and for sharing it with the rest of us. I *finallly* got the EP a couple of days ago and I had some time today to fix my custom careers etc.

The one thing that was not mentioned in the tutorial, is that you have to change the Group ID of the new (extracted) files to 0xFFFFFFFF aswell. I neglected to do this when I converted one of the custom careers and it caused my game to freeze when loading the lot.

Tug, I converted the Mafia career without any problems, it's working perfectly for me. It has always been one of my favourite careers. It was based on the business career, not the criminal career, so perhaps that is the reason why your conversion doesn't work?

Well..I'm off to do some catching up...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#28 Old 10th Apr 2005 at 10:36 PM
Albino, that is supposed to be done even in the old custom careers, so i felt it went without saying. But oh well,
#29 Old 22nd May 2005 at 4:45 PM
I am wondering how You could alter the amount of money that our sims get when they retire???

I had downloaded the Richest $im custom career, where my sims got $70,000 a week while employed, but when they retired they suddenly made $381 a day, $2,667 a week!!! What happened to the roughly $35,000 that they should have been making weekly??
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#30 Old 13th Jun 2005 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by praw004
I am wondering how You could alter the amount of money that our sims get when they retire???

I had downloaded the Richest $im custom career, where my sims got $70,000 a week while employed, but when they retired they suddenly made $381 a day, $2,667 a week!!! What happened to the roughly $35,000 that they should have been making weekly??
Hmmm...not sure about that, are all careers giving out the same pension? (to your knowledge?)

SAm....Home to the clones and my gorgeous friends,
SIMilar Addiction
Instructor
#31 Old 13th Jul 2005 at 6:16 PM
Hi Poojkins, I'm having a problem. I started doing your tutorial, but my SimPE doesn't match what you're saying. I d/led and opened the base career and clicked on Behaviour Constant, but I did not see anything that came close to your description. In the right window, all I see is "Behaviour Constant (BCON, 0x42434F4E). That's it except for SubType, Group, Instance, Size and Offset. They all say the same thing. There is no Top Memory, Tuning Chance Card Levels, or Tuning Flags no matter what tab I click on. Am I just being dense or what? Please help. I want to update a couple of custom careers that I d/led to be compatible w/ep1. Thanks!
Not a Llama
#32 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 2:05 PM
Try launching SimPE using the Start Menu item called "SimPE (Classic GUI)". This will make SimPE look like what the instructions expect.
Forum Resident
#33 Old 30th Jul 2005 at 2:15 AM
I'm suprised your not a moderator here!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 21st Sep 2005 at 8:32 AM
May I ask a silly question? How exactly does one change the GUID? :monkey:
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#35 Old 21st Sep 2005 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by denimjo
May I ask a silly question? How exactly does one change the GUID? :monkey:

Look at the tutorial found in my signature

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Test Subject
#36 Old 12th Oct 2005 at 2:07 PM
I've got a question:
Sorry, if someone explanded yet, but i want to know how to delete the levels of a career.
So that I have only 4 levels than 10.
Please explane that in easy english, 'cause I can't understand all english words (especially not realy the colloquial english)
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#37 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JujaTwainie
I've got a question:
Sorry, if someone explanded yet, but i want to know how to delete the levels of a career.
So that I have only 4 levels than 10.
Please explane that in easy english, 'cause I can't understand all english words (especially not realy the colloquial english)

OK- I've been experimenting a bit with careers with low numbers of levels, and I found that using SimPE version .48 to delete levels causes some problems as you get to level 5...

Now, I've created a career with only two levels, but I cheated a little- I downlaoded the Stay at Home career by naidia and modified it from there. I've uploaded a base 1 level career for you to work with and add levels to- this is how you do it.

First, you'll need the newest version of SimPE from http://sims.ambertation.de/ (version .48c)

Next, open the one level career in SimPE and open bidou's career editor-

Once opened, go to "Levels", then "Insert levels"

Voila! A new career level!

Now you can add as many or as few levels as you wish.

I hope this helps you out- if you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask

Superfly
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Base 1 Level.zip (324.0 KB, 61 downloads) - View custom content

Lab Assistant
#38 Old 14th Oct 2005 at 1:09 AM
Can we have some clarity on this one please?

I've tried twice to update a Pre-EP career this evening with no success, and both times the game just froze before I could enter the Lot.

Now I need to clarify these instructions so that I know for certain I'm doing it right - then I can blame the custom career - or if I'm doing it wrong, in which case I'd like to know how to do it right.

First I'd like to clear up this point about importing the Behaviour constants from the Base(EP) to Custom(TS2 Orig):

Quote:
When the window opens up, set the "files of type" to 'Extracted File (.simpe)' Select the three behavior constant files you previously extracted and add them here now.

Well, there aren't three, there are six. Three files have a ".simpe" extension and three have a ".simpe.xml" ext. Which three do I need?

Secondly, On importing the Behaviour Function:

Quote:
Click on 'Behavior Function'. Right click on any file on the right and click 'Add'. When the window opens up, set the "files of type" to 'Extracted File (.simpe)' Select the behavior function file you previously extracted and add them here now.

This time there are two - again, one with a ".simpe" and one with a ".simpe.xml". Which one do I need?

Thirdly:

Quote:
The one thing that was not mentioned in the tutorial, is that you have to change the Group ID of the new (extracted) files to 0xFFFFFFFF aswell. I neglected to do this when I converted one of the custom careers and it caused my game to freeze when loading the lot.

How do I do that? Before extracting it? After? After importing? At what point, and how?
I loaded one of these extracted files into SimPE just now, and took a look. Under "Group" it says, "0x7F5AA90E"(THE Group ID for Criminal), but there seems no way to change it. AND I feel compelled to ask again - ".simpe" file or ".simpe.xml"?

Can someone here please help with this?

Thanks.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#39 Old 14th Oct 2005 at 7:37 AM
OK...

"Well, there aren't three, there are six. Three files have a ".simpe" extension and three have a ".simpe.xml" ext. Which three do I need? "
"This time there are two - again, one with a ".simpe" and one with a ".simpe.xml". Which one do I need?"

When adding files to the behaviour constant and behaviour function lists the game should automatically only display .xml files to import- which are the ones you want.

Group ID. Group ID is changed after the importation off all four .xml files. If you do it before, the four files you import will still have the original group ID. To change the group ID, you require the classical version of SimPE (the original) and my tutorial found here

Hope this helps you out,

Superfly

Lab Assistant
#40 Old 14th Oct 2005 at 4:33 PM
Ah, well that's a little clearer.

So I ignore the ".simpe" files and grab the ".simpe.xml" ones, eh?

Thanks that helps.

But another point worries me. I'm using the latest version of SimPE. So I can't upgrade careers with that then?

Yet it's only the latest version that has functions for things like Vampires and Inventories, isn't it?

Is it possible to run the old classic version of SimPE without conflicts/uninstalling the latest one?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#41 Old 14th Oct 2005 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Thraxwhirl
So I ignore the ".simpe" files and grab the ".simpe.xml" ones, eh?

But another point worries me. I'm using the latest version of SimPE. So I can't upgrade careers with that then?

Yet it's only the latest version that has functions for things like Vampires and Inventories, isn't it?

Is it possible to run the old classic version of SimPE without conflicts/uninstalling the latest one?

No, you can't upgrade careers automatically with the new version of SimPE (at least to my knowledge). What I've one is downloaded an EP compatible carer, and every time I want a new career, I simply copy the template career and rename it- and already I have a career compatible with the expansion pack? See?

Yes it is possible to run the classic version of SimPE without uninstalling the newer one- I downloaded the classical version with the newer version, allowing me to change a career's GUID and group ID.

Hope this helps,

Superfly

Lab Assistant
#42 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 2:16 AM
Hmmm, well I hesitate to say this, but I'm still a little confused. You see, I inferred from this:

Quote: Originally posted by SuperFly
No, you can't upgrade careers automatically with the new version of SimPE (at least to my knowledge). What I've one is downloaded an EP compatible carer, and every time I want a new career, I simply copy the template career and rename it- and already I have a career compatible with the expansion pack? See?

...that you mean copying a template EP-career(then just altering the text/hours/wages etc. to match a pre-EP version) is a way to do it in the new SimPE, yes?

I hope I've inferred correctly there.

But in order to alter the GUIDs and Group IDs, you've GOT to have the old SimPE too, yes?

But then, in that case, why load it into the new SimPE at all?

I'm really sorry to be such a pain in the neck here. Thing is, I know nothing about modding careers at all(well, you'll have guessed of course), but there's just one Pre-EP career that I've desperately wanted to run since Uni came out.

The creator seems to have disappeared from this site long ago(as far as I'm aware), and after six months of hoping that sooner or later someone might have a crack at updating this one... well, I decided maybe I should do it, and I set about trying, following this tutorial.

But the more I've tried, and the more I've tried to unfathom this puzzle, the more confused I seem to get.

:sorry: I'm sorry to seem so inept - computers, I confess, are not my strong suit - but I'm really struggling with this. And all for just one career with only two levels in it.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#43 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 7:44 AM
Yes, that is correct. Copy an EP ready career and use it as a template. I think I am right in saying this whole problmem revolves around which version of SimPE to use. Now, I personally find the new GUI easy to use, so I build my careers with it, then move to the classical version to change my GUID and Group ID. If you feel more comfortable, build the whole career with the classical version- that way, you won't need to switch around.

#44 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 4:14 PM
I'm really hoping someone makes those university only careers avaliable for people who have not gone to college.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 11:16 PM
ok excuse me if this is a very old thread but I was referred here by Superfly.
Can I use one of these base careers to safely make a career which works in JUST Sims 2? I can see that they would work for University? And what about for NightLife?
And is there such a thing as an up-to-date tutorial on the Career Editor anywhere? All the links I can find seem to point to some very old stuff?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#46 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 11:33 PM
If you use these files to as a template, tehy will work for all games.

As for up-to-date tutorials... it is a sad fact that career creators are few and far between now, so only a few people put much into this section. I have contacted Psion about his tutorial, so hopefully *fingers crossed* we shall see some new information

SuperFly

Lab Assistant
#47 Old 10th Feb 2006 at 9:00 PM
I made a career by downloading and changing one of the EP careers shown earlier on this thread. I am testing with just Sims 1 and I thought I had done it ok - I only used a recent version of SimPE - and anyhow the career does not appear at all in my game. Can someone please tell me where I went wrong? I spent a lot of time on this already?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#48 Old 10th Feb 2006 at 9:07 PM
Sita, post your career up in my thread (http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=96735) and I'll take a look at it- the problem could be caused by a number of problems.

Lab Assistant
#49 Old 12th Feb 2006 at 3:18 AM
Done, thanks.
Test Subject
#50 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 10:37 PM
How do you download Custom Careers?
How Do You Download Custom Careers?!
Page 2 of 3