Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 8:55 PM
Custom Content Recolors Won't Show in Game
I've written the below in a post that hasn't been active for ten months so I posted here in the hopes of getting better results.

My custom content recolors are not displaying in the game. I've followed the direction to the letter from the Object Workshop tutorial and have had no problems. The recolor packages are successfully completed and copied to my folder in my downloads but when I load The Sims 2 and pick the custom content objects that I've recolored they are not there. This is what I've done:

-Open the custom content mesh in Object Workshop.
-Export the texture .png(s) I need to recolor to my work folder.
-Recolor the images on photoshop CS4.
-Save the recolored .png(s) separately, changing the file name (but not the format) from the original.
-Go into Object Workshop, right click the texture and choose 'Build DXT'. Window comes up and I open my work folder and select the recolored .png that I created. Once selected, if it is a solid object I select format: DXT1; sharpen: None and if it is a transparency (a shear curtain recolor in my case) I select format: DXT3; sharpen: None. When selections are made I click 'Build'. New color has replaced original color and I commit the changes. After all textures for the object have been changed to the new color and commited I 'Save As...' and give the recolor a new name as a DBPF package. I copy the DBPF package and paste it into my folder in the downloads area.

Everything seemed to be going fine but when I load my game, recolors of custom content do not appear. I need to add that I do have CEP 9.2.0 installed so I know that isn't my problem. My OS is Windows 7 (x64) but The Sims 2 plays just fine and SimPE (and Wizards of SimPE) works beautifully for my Maxis (EA) recolors. Did I miss something here?
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 10:07 PM
Custom content doesn't require the CEP to be recolorable, it just requires the package be made correctly. Is the object recolorable in game? There are objects by several creators that recolor in SimPE but are not actually recolorable in game. When you try to recolor in game do you get a message that the item is not designable? Do you have other recolors that work by other creators?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 10:45 PM
Are you clicking recolor when you open the mesh?

The reason I ask is that when you click "recolor" SimPE asks you what you want to save the file as before you can even recolor the mesh.
So, if I wanted to recolor a table: I'd 1) open the mesh, 2) click recolor, 3) give it a name (MLC-tableLTWood, for example), 4) select the subsets I want to recolor (if there is more than 1 texture)- then 5) export the texture, 6) edit in PhotoShop, 7) go back to SimPE, 8) click build DXT, 9) choose the texture, select "none", click build..wait for SimPE to do it's magic, then 10) update all sizes, 10) click commit then 11) just click "save".
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 6:19 AM
Oops!
Mustluvcatz said: "Are you clicking recolor when you open the mesh?"

Very close mustluvcatz! I believe I figured out my problem. Apparently, when I opened the meshes, I wasn't opening them through the Object Workshop 'Open' button below the 'Start' button. I was opening them by going to the 'Open' option under the 'FILE' menu.

I think this is what was causing the problem and after reading your post mustluvcatz I am sure it was the problem.

I knew that the objects I wanted to recolor were recolorable because others had done them. HugeLunatic and mustluvcatz thanks a huge bunch for responding to my post. Hopefully I won't make a fool out of myself for a long while after this little fiasco.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 6:27 AM
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 6:45 AM
Well, glad we helped. And I'd like to add that it's a good thing you were clicking "save as" instead of "save". If you had clicked "save", you would have changed the default texture(s) of the object.
Test Subject
#7 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 1:40 AM
I have been having this same problem, but I followed the tutorial several times over, and I know I'm clicking the right 'open' button too. I was trying to recolour DragonSlave's Basic Horse [The Only Horse Your Sims Will Ever Need] which has been recoloured many times before so I know it's possible.
After finishing my recolours, clicking 'Build DXT', None etc etc, I copied the package into my downloads folder and it didn't work. The recolours come up as the original colours and the manes of the horses come up in that flashing blue [the one that comes up when you don't have the mesh for an object or outfit].
Everything else is working perfectly, so I know it's either a setting I need to change, or an extra step I haven't done...

Help would be hugely apreciated!
Thanks,
-Exotic011

-Exotic011
~Sim & Clothing Creater~
Field Researcher
#8 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 8:29 AM
When you go back and look at your recolor in SimPE does it have the correct texture map in it? (I'm asking because I sometimes forget to click 'Commit' and then the texture reverts to the original).

It could also be a MMAT problem. Check for 2 things in the MMAT's: ObjectGUID and subsetName. Try to compare with a working recolor and see if the values are the same in yours.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.