Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#126 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 1:45 AM
Peni, I agreed with your statement-because I was a military brat as well-having lived "the life" for about 11 years, I only remember one base where everything was self-contained (note, it was Aberdeen Proving Ground in MD-Army-a research facility and proving ground)-but because the old man was an officer, we lived in better quarters than the enlisted people. But I do remember the swimming pool, and the golf course which we lived opposite. It was his last active posting, and the best one, probably. Viet Nam kinda ended the fun. He decided that he didn't want to be in the game any more. You know how that went, I'm sure..

While it would be difficult to recreate the full experience, you can set up a small military style lot (as I have) and have your recruits live there, along with their commander-who should be at least an officer, if not a General. The recruits go off base to their regular jobs in career, because these are just the living quarters. I've seen one or two full lots which are pretty detailed, so it can be done, including the science quarters for those who are researching very deep things.

Which reminds me. I have to build a lot for the future military people-there are about 5 in the next generation who want to become Generals, and I'm going to have Angela Pleasant Broke lead them if she reaches that rank.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#127 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 2:11 AM Last edited by wickedjr89 : 30th Jul 2017 at 5:27 AM.
The sheer boredom talk about the Ramaswami's is making me want to do something interesting with them. Not sure what yet but I had plopped them down into Widespot and I haven't played them yet. My mission now is to make them interesting, like my life depends on it. lol
Oooh *getting ideas*

I do love this thread, hearing all the ideas to make stuff interesting/un-boring I've always had an issue with Uni when I first started playing as I got into the rut of studying and classes and all my Sims got A+'s and I loathed Uni, but then I think I mentioned that somewhere on these boards and Peni helped me to see the error of my ways :D

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#128 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
Anyone know if there is a program that allows you to change personality points, hobby interests, and maybe skills from within the game

Not sure if anyone has already answered but I love Twojeffs' College Adjuster for the skill point randomise setting. It allows you to randomise skills with a maximum of 5 so useful for CAS sims who you don't want to be too skilled, but it feels weird for them to be totally blank too.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#129 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 5:00 AM Last edited by gazania : 31st Jul 2017 at 6:10 PM.
Kinda late here, but ... Uni boring?

I used to think so, and would shorten the length by about a third. However, when I started building more community lots in my Unis, I find that time flies much faster, and now, sometimes I don't have ENOUGH time.

My Uni Sims travel throughout the campus and outside of it. They go to nightclubs, have fun at the Karaoke bar, go to open mic night at one club and try their hand at poetry or a comedy routine, skate, hang out at one of the Barstucks coffee shops, work out at the gym, attend club meetings (either the Sophie-David lectern or the Sims Wardrobe vocational school mod can help them skill. I make sure in the case of the former, though, to end the lecture or discussion after an hour, lest my Sims skill up too much. In the case of the latter, that site is no longer around, but someone here does have a zip of most, if not all of the mods. A search here might help you find it.) They can also go to one of two beaches in my custom hood.

They can visit the main hood, but most of the time, they have so much to do on campus that they don't have much time for that. However, it's a good way to stop the campus clock. And there is a no-tell motel in my main hood for a private rendezvous.

They may go on a cool end-of-semester trip at the end of the year. One or two have opened small businesses and cottage industries, and one is doing particularly well. My custom campus in my custom hood also has buildings I made with classrooms/classes for drafting, music, sports (Fitness and Wellness), art, pottery, science, marine and avian studies and fashion design. There is a cooking lab that was once a house. Some of my clubs there include Poly Sci, Fashion, Literature (OK, that's mostly sitting around and reading, but it's still a group!) and Robotics. They can learn flower arranging. They can study in the library or do assignments together in the computer lab or in one of the other buildings.

Restaurants outside of the campus include Peni Griffin's diner, a fancier place, a cafe and an Asian eatery. (I did not make the Asian restaurant.) There is a hookah bar (not one of my vices, but the bubble blower amuses me), a film club AND a movie theater, a small performing arts theater (really small), as well as a stage in one of the other college buildings for musical performances or fashion shows. Oh, and an Internet cafe. And I know I missed a whole bunch of places!

Right now, I just finished small dance studio inspired by Sophie-David's Flamingo of Dance*, and am contemplating a small farm for agricultural studies. I'm not so sure I can do a good farmhouse, though. (Looks longingly at a certain Community Spirit Contest play-along's entry ) I may give it a shot, anyway.

I should mention that there is the main campus and two very small commercial areas nearby (same hood, just farther away), including some seedier places. Students have plenty of places to socialize. If the dice roll is unlucky, some have unfortunately partied a little too much and missed classes and even an exam or two.

So Uni boring? Hardly, in my case!

P.S. Re the military bases ... some also have small museums. I've been to a couple. I'm sure that those with military bases don't need to fill more space, but in case you do, it's a thought. I've been to a few that had small gift shops.

*Yes, I was thinking of uploading the lot, but I've just started play-testing it now, and today is the last day! I had wanted to do this earlier, but life was another ball of chaos, and I couldn't finish the lot until yesterday. There will be no time to correct anything major that the mods would need me to correct. I guess I'm doing a play-along version of these community themes.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#130 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 6:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
I ended up killing off the Goths as I also found them boring.
I don't think much of that idea! Other players kill Sims off if they're ugly -- or old. I fear I wouldn't last long if any of that became normal practice in our world. I'm glad I gave my Sims a constitution that guarantees their right to life, so that even boring ugly old Sims can live happily in my game.

I was just looking at the icons for installing University in different languages. I see the German version calls it "Wilde Campus-Jahre". For the benefit of non-German speakers. "Jahre" means "Years". I don't think I need to translate the rest. Perhaps German players are less inclined to think it's just about studying and skilling and getting through it as quickly as possible.

I love having my Sims at home so I can do things with them, rather than them being away all day at rabbit-hole jobs and school. I find I'm increasingly giving them extra vacation days so we can have more time for fun things. Corey Lambert, one of the boys in Elswyn, my Community Spirit Contest 'hood, hates school and comes home miserable from it every day. I think we'll home-school him.

One of my favourite "families" to play is Jack Gill and Ravi Bertino, two gay downtown teens, who have dropped out of school and go to all-day nightclubs instead. Jack says they are "students at the university of life"! They earn their living in "financial forestry"; i.e. they have four money trees in their bedroom. I notice that one of Peni's favourite households is her "warehouse boys". Although I'm sure they're very different to Jack and Ravi, I don't think they go to school very often either.

Having Sims at home and going out with them is fun! And retired, financially independent elders are about the best placed of all Sims to go out and enjoy life. Unlike many Real Life elders, they're lives aren't ruined by chronic ill-health. About my only problem with my elders is that I can't get enough nice clothes for them. But I suppose I know what I can do about that!

Thanks for that fascinating piece about service life Peni! Pity that you posted it when I was trying to go to bed -- I couldn't leave the computer till I'd read it all!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#131 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 7:22 AM Last edited by SIMelissa : 30th Jul 2017 at 7:33 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Ideally, a military base should be separate and distinct from the surrounding civilian town. Either they're actually several miles away from the town proper, or they're on the edge of town, probably surrounded with residential and commercial development to support them.

People on this site are so creative! I never considered the possibility of a military base -- though I should have since I live in a former military community. I say former, because the base has been downsized to a reserve base. On one side is where all the weekend warrior stuff takes place. The other side is now open to the public. Base housing are now rental homes and the military dorms are homeless shelters operated by several different agencies.

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I don't think much of that idea! Other players kill Sims off if they're ugly -- or old. I fear I wouldn't last long if any of that became normal practice in our world.

I'd be right there under a headstone with you!
I have to admit that I've been guilty of killing off my Sims. My game became overrun by grouchy Sims and the obnoxious cow mascots got on my nerves. Unfortunately, I learned that if I kill off one, another appears to take its place. (hmmm... I wonder if the University Cow is one of the NPCs I wasn't supposed to kill? Oh well, new game now and I plan to ban those pranking mascots from my dorms/uni-housing.)

Quote:
About my only problem with my elders is that I can't get enough nice clothes for them. But I suppose I know what I can do about that!

If you are able to make senior Sims clothing, I hope you will consider uploading them for all to share. My male seniors are in dire need of something different to wear!

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#132 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 8:25 AM
Here where I live, a military base is a work place, and soldiers (and there spouses) have a separate residential area, (or simply live in town if they want to; for spouses often work in the nearest town). Transport is provided for them all to get to work and for the children to get to school in town. Nobody lives on the actual base; however, there are soldiers on guard/working shifts. A base is normally located in low rainfall areas, because rain interferes with flying. The air force base here is 33 km (20 miles) out of town to the south, the radar base is 20 miles north in the mountains.

In my military hood, I have worked out a routine for my soldiers. Maybe some of you can use some of these:

Three times a week it is off to the park to run the obstacle course (or train new recruits once they have enough body points to do so).

Twice a week they have to go to the library to study mechanics, and then they play golf to gain charisma points (the military here is very into sport and many of our national sport stars may be in the military). They also have a sport complex, and I have put different ones in different sport teams. So some are boxers, some are in the soccer team and some are in the baseball team. They have to go and take part in their sport on Saturday mornings.

The local air force base is also well known for excellent beer festivals and music concerts, which civilians attend. They are involved in charities and money is raised this way. So some soldiers have to be good at playing musical instruments as well.

Of course they have to have food, so these days some soldiers are gardening up a storm - but they still have to do the exercising and studying.

Wednesday is outing night; Friday is party night. Every second week is the formal dinner at HQ (with the buffet table thing used here, and they have to dress up in their formal clothes).

Of course, there may also be a wedding or a birthday party at times
Mad Poster
#133 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 4:22 PM Last edited by gazania : 31st Jul 2017 at 1:36 AM.
As I've often written, I loathe killing off my Sims. I'm not even crazy about aging my favorite ones, though I suppose that's horribly unrealistic. I'll make elderly Sims ... just not age them unless it becomes really awkward not to do so. I use the Chagasi facial lines on their faces, though, since it wouldn't be very realistic for them to look 24 when they're sixty; perhaps use a bit of plastic surgery to simulate a slacker chin. I've yet to find makeup to simulate a lined neck, though. Unfortunately, the neck is often one of the first giveaways of age, no matter how one tries to keep fit.

The ideas for senior Sims here are starting to inspire me to make new ones and start a retirement community. I am now taking care of my mother and am not a spring chicken myself. From time to time, I pick up the free brochures advertising senior housing.

My daughter and I also visited one for a class assignment that if I have the money and the time comes when my husband and I have to consider downsizing and moving to such a facility, I would be there in a flash. It's situated in a beautiful wooded area with walking paths. Seniors can choose between rooms in the facility if they need more medical care or cottages nearby if they just wish to be near medical personnel. There are classes in crafts, bingo times (well in the Sims case, I think we know the substitute for that ), classes where they learn computer skills or discuss books, art classes (well, with such pretty grounds, that was pretty much a given!), a pottery studio and a small stage where performers can entertain. There is also an area for yoga and milder sports. They can also do some volunteer work. A guide brings groups to town for them to shop. If they live in one of the cottages, they are allowed to bring pets, and there is a dog park for them.

And I'm sure that in the game, Granny and Gramps can take romantic vacations and even sneak away to the no-tell motel if they're in the mood! The Sims 2 taxi is always there to take them. (While I know that many seniors still drive, I'm not sure how you'd handle those many cars in a single facility in your game. One car, maybe.)

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#134 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 4:50 PM
Oh wow Gazania..that place looks perfect...I wish you the money!(if, when time comes)
I love playing elder in this game and make them comfy. Have yet to build a retirement lot, but now I have good ideas...just not enough elders.(too long life span..lol)

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
#135 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 5:10 PM
I've realised it's my computer and job that make families boring - I don't have as much time to play as I used to, and I play on a laptop that gets crazy hot crazy fast (I've started using ice packs wrapped in tea towels to cool it down). The result is that I rush through my rotations because I want to play a full week per family before I start thinking my laptop is about to explode and/or I have to go back to my real life. Hitting fast forward and not taking Sims to community lots (no time! Too much loading!) or doing other fun things means I get stuck in a rut with my Sims just hanging out at home, going through the motions. I'm going to switch to playing three days instead of a full week per family in the hope that I'll do more each turn. It's a vicious circle: I don't develop hobbies/personality/drama/backstory in my families, so they become boring, which means I don't make the effort to develop them and spend even more of the rotation fast forwarding so I can just get them out of the way and move on to the next family in my list.

A somewhat more specific form of boredom I discovered is with the Alvarez family, who own a home bakery. They work in the bakery 9-5, then spend the rest of the night and all weekend baking more stock. They have no lives outside of the bakery. The granddaughter has gone to university now, and she's the only one I care about. Once the bakery passes to her, she's going to close it down. Businesses where your Sims have to make the stock themselves just aren't worth it in my opinion, it's so repetitive and I can't think of a single non-bakery related storyline in any of their lives.
Mad Poster
#136 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 6:20 PM
I will offer a piece of advice which may or may not help here
There is no deadline, it is a game. Play less families per week - take the time that you have and make the most of it And let the Alvarez's sell the bakery and do something else with their lives
Forum Resident
#137 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 7:24 PM
I love having lots that I play in very different ways from the other households in my rotation. Different lots could be ones that I'm playing according to some other rule set than the rest of my 'hood (I tend to play a BACC inspired game, but then throw in an asylum or trailer park challenge, for example), or ones such as the military barracks or a nursing home where the mix of sims and their routines are very different from every other household's routine. In doing my rotations, I also jump around in my town's geography - if I've got a bunch of similar households living in one part of town, I like to be able to break it up by jumping across town to someone very different.

If one particular sim or household just isn't working for me, there are a few things I consider doing to make it more interesting.

The first is to look at the sims and see if I have a grasp of their personalities or not - the sims that seem boring to me are often ones without hobbies, habits, back stories, or something that makes them stand out among the other residents to me. I've got a hard time remembering faces and names, so it's easy for sims to seem all alike unless I take the time to look for something else about them that is unique. I like to randomize their hobbies (I roll a die and reset their OTH) and then give them some more detailed version of that hobby that fits with their personality. Then I work that into their daily or weekly routine, and that helps me with the sim's character and makes them more interesting to play. Does this grouchy fitness sim need a daily jog or they pick fights? Does the nature sim like vegetable gardens or hiking and bug catching? Instead of a new hobby, some sims need a back story or an explanation for being in my town and for their LTW. Sometimes their personality and interests suggest something unique I could do with a sim - for example, in one 'hood I had an outgoing sim that was fairly active and liked games, so he joined a bowling team (created a group and they went to a bowling alley every week).

Sometimes, nothing jumps out at me about the sim's hobbies or personality, though, or the way I am playing them isn't working. Then I play the household in a very hands off way for a couple of days, interfering only to keep them alive. Their autonomous behaviour may give me an idea for how to change the way I see the household. Do they like their jobs or are their other ways they'd prefer to earn a living? Do they autonomously socialize, and which socials do they use? What objects do they keep getting drawn to? Does the sim's LTW need changing, or their hobby, or is changes to how how I interpret the ones they have, or does the household need a shake up - someone moves in or out, a job change....

If I'm just tired of the routine at a house, I sometimes roll random occurance scenarios or mini challenges for that rotation. Come up with a list of things that could happen (good and bad) to either just the dull household or that will affect several households, and use chance to pick what happens. Sometimes I like to just introduce some risk such as burning all the leaf piles or letting my sims jump in all the puddles they want.

As for the Ramaswami family, the first time I played them I already had a number of career couples that were raising children in my town so I decided to play them ISBI style all the time. I moved them into a small 2 bedroom starter and controlled Priya only. She had her hands full with keeping them both fed and keeping their cheap plumbing fixed, but Sanjay did OK at helping clean and he made friends on his own with any sim Priya greeted. When Priya got pregnant and her needs were harder to keep up, I stopped having her work to fill Sanjay's needs. With meals being served irregularly, Sanjay started eating cookies all the time instead of the leftovers and he left the garbage everywhere. Then poor Priya became the first sim to have quadruplets in the town to have quadruplets (I use the completely random triplets and quads and set the odds of quads to 2%). The household was challenging instead of boring.
Mad Poster
#138 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 8:29 PM
I've never played ISBI and tbh it doesn't interest me. But, the Ramaswamis have had quads in Monopoly. They already had a child they had to keep hidden, a room mate who hated them, and they were living semi off the grid. But they were still boring. There was stuff to do, and at one point the three adults were having to take turns living in a tent on the lawn in the perma snow. But I was still not interested in them. At all.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#139 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 9:09 PM
I starting building a retirement home in all my hoods years ago, because I had all these elder empty nesters and I would feel bad about playing a lot that was just an inevitable countdown towards death. When there's 6-8 elders on the lot, it's easier to let go, because anyone can go at any time.

I've seen other people have retirement homes as apartment lots, but I like mine as a residential lot. They can socialize with all the other elders all day, which is half the fun, and when they die, the gravestones don't get stuck in an uninhabited apartment.
Mad Poster
#140 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
I starting building a retirement home in all my hoods years ago, because I had all these elder empty nesters and I would feel bad about playing a lot that was just an inevitable countdown towards death. When there's 6-8 elders on the lot, it's easier to let go, because anyone can go at any time.

I've seen other people have retirement homes as apartment lots, but I like mine as a residential lot. They can socialize with all the other elders all day, which is half the fun, and when they die, the gravestones don't get stuck in an uninhabited apartment.

If you have University, you can use the dorm doors to create pseudo-apartments.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#141 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 9:37 PM
I'm currently playing 30 families and counting in my BaCC: some from CAS, some from the family bin, and some townies that have been moved in. When I think my families are boring, it's a kind of mental barrier before I actually go into their lot and play them. Because once I do, something always happens, either by design or many times randomly, that makes me really get into them.

For example, I planned for the Goodies to run the town church, but Faith's LTW is Criminal Mastermind, and Herbert tells dirty jokes right and left, so they've had a rough couple of weeks, but they're slowly getting back on the righteous path, have adopted two girls, and now they're preparing to open an orphanage. They have a weird relationship dynamic, but they are committed to each other.

The Ramaswamis are more lovey-dovey than I expected. For them, I changed up the exterior of the dreadful Fiesta Fortress for them to live in (which they could barely afford), so they're partially a designer diaries type household because they're working to furnish their home and landscape their lot. They also have a baby now, and Sanjay just purchased a jewelry store to run, which is a new type of business in town.

They're completely different families, and I love playing them both! That actually applies to all my families (married, singles, roomies, etc). I'm a people-story lover and character-driven storyteller, and all my households have a special vibe that I can feel as soon as I enter their lot.

Build a City Challenge on LiveJournal: Mesa Vista: my BaCC for fun
Mesa Vista Running list of chapters
Mad Poster
#142 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 9:51 PM Last edited by FranH : 30th Jul 2017 at 10:04 PM.
Of all the things that can really bring on boredom, it's this: feeling that you have to play this game right now, right down to the wire.

Stop thinking that way! You put the game on pause, shut it down, and those pixels will be waiting for you patiently when you turn it back on. They will not have moved an inch, nor have aged.

This isn't Sims 3. It's 2 and fully controllable. They'll still be alive and kicking when you load up the town, nothing has changed.

You can take your time playing it-there is no 'end' to it (unless your computer blows up and then you have more than enough reason to not play the game..) you didn't sign a contract, you have nobody waiting on your to take your turn and while they're gonna look at you funny, the pixels will still be in the same way they were when you shut them down.

It's that mindset that everything has to happen now that ruins the game for some. This isn't a competition! You don't win prizes. All you get is a lot of fun pushing the mouse button and your keys on the keyboard to control some animation dots on the computer screen.

If it's not fun, don't play it until you find a way to have fun. Dump the Ramaswamis of life-they're a waste of time and forcing yourself to play them is torture.

This is supposed to bring fun into life, not ruin it.

Life is short...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#143 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 2:04 AM
ahem..builds small overhead structure to shield self from missile thrown by Peni. I'm usually bored by uni. I've tried almost everything. I play to wants instead of trying to get through school. I through a lot of parties. But...boring.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#144 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 2:39 AM
Make it shorter, I play uni for only 8 days then 2 days to do whatever.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#145 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Enoby
I've realised it's my computer and job that make families boring - I don't have as much time to play as I used to, and I play on a laptop that gets crazy hot crazy fast (I've started using ice packs wrapped in tea towels to cool it down).

@Enoby You might try turning a fan - like a table fan - at your computer. I read somewhere recently that someone did that and it improved the cooling of their computer way more than they thought it would.

That is, if you can stand to have a fan blowing on you, too! :p
Theorist
#146 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 8:31 AM
I get bored of when I fail to develop an emotional connection to any of the characters in it, which is regrettably something that, in my experience can always happen.

Part of it might be that the game is just too easy (somebody called pregnancies "stressful" I cannot agree with that, they are fairly easy to handle, unless we are talking a pregnant single mom with another baby already in the house and toddler twins, that IS stressful). This non-challange is part of why it's so easy for me to fall into "everybody happy, everybody successful" loop.
Since a few years now I try to give every family in my neighbourhoods something unique to them (one family are farmers, one family artists, one family has lots and lots of children etc.) but sometimes a family still just ends up "not working out".
I usually don't kill the families that bore me, since they are likely linked to families that don't bore me and a whole family just dying would disrupt the neighbourhood. Instead, when they come around in the rotation (my neighbourhoods are on strict, season-lenght rotations) I just use a mood to age them up the appropriate number of days, change the season and basically skip them. Sometimes it has already happened that families I skipped for a few rotations got interesting for me again.

Like others i have a few "types" of families that bore me more often than others those are 1) single sims; I'm a family player, so the singles don't really interest me. I have managed to make Romance singles interesting to me a couple of times, however 2) elders living alone, which is why I very rarely have them retire.

Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
ahem..builds small overhead structure to shield self from missile thrown by Peni. I'm usually bored by uni. I've tried almost everything. I play to wants instead of trying to get through school. I through a lot of parties. But...boring.

Oh, I'm with you there, I haven't played "proper" uni in years. I just use the college adjustor if I want a sim to get into one of the uni careers. it's just too. long. and long (also long). Plus it takes me away from the rest of the neighbourhood for too long (due to being so long and long [and long as well!])
Forum Resident
#147 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
If you have University, you can use the dorm doors to create pseudo-apartments.

I used recolors of those doors in my last game. I built a large, warmly decorated house with seven bedrooms (six for elder residents and one for the caretaker), each with their own private bathroom. The retirement home had a game room, a pool table room and an arts room. The kitchen was small but had a big communal eating area. Residents would invite a family (theirs or someone they knew) to visit or the caretaker would call for a taxi to take them on a field trip to the park or downtown.

One of the things I've always liked about University is the chance for Sims to make good friends and meet a future spouse. :-)

edited to add: If I had to pick one age group to be the most boring, I'd say it was the children. Their lives are school, homework, trying to regain fun, school, homework, trying to regain fun. At least the teens have a short school day giving them plenty of time for fun and homework -- unless they have a job. In my current game, I have a mod that lets my littlest survivors skip school and I've disabled the social worker. I haven't looked at their grade meter to see if their grades are affected. Later, I'll take a look at a homeschool mod and see how that works.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Scholar
#148 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wthrwthoutyu
@Enoby You might try turning a fan - like a table fan - at your computer. I read somewhere recently that someone did that and it improved the cooling of their computer way more than they thought it would.

That is, if you can stand to have a fan blowing on you, too! :p

I used a gadget similar to this. It worked very well and lasted for years in a very hot and dusty desert area: https://www.amazon.com/Tree-New-Bee...aptop+fan&psc=1

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#149 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 11:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Make it shorter, I play uni for only 8 days then 2 days to do whatever.

I have the mod that makes one day a semester. That helps. I don't know if I could stand even playing it if I didn't. Still boring.

Page 6 of 6