Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#201 Old 9th May 2015 at 9:19 AM
I let the mom take her 3 days when the baby has grown into a toddler so that she has more time to teach him/her - or in most of my households/ them So you can decide when they can take the 3 days. Some Sims get quite depressed if they have to stay at home all the time so sending them to work for a day or so might be a good thing.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#202 Old 10th May 2015 at 9:34 PM
I think the biggest reason as to why I always come back to the sims 2 is because they're the only sims I can connect too. With 3&4 I just feel like their dead eyed and have no story to them. I know stories and such are all the players creation but even when I play a brand new straight out of CAS sim, I still have this deep connection with them.
Top Secret Researcher
#203 Old 11th May 2015 at 1:59 AM
Even though I have Sims 3 and 4 and will play them once in a blue moon, what game keeps me coming back for more? Sims 2. It's the game I love to play most of all. Everyone has their different preferences and here are just some of the things I love about Sims 2.
1. The sandboxy-ness. I can cook up whatever stories (or not) my little head comes up with and roll with it. All the challenges I can do. The pre-mades and their stories where I could either A ignore their pre-made stories and do what I want with them or B (what I tend to do) is use their pre-made story as a background story for them and see where they go off from there.
2. The genetics! I love the genetics! Dominant/recessive genes, you can dye their hair and it does not affect their genetics. It works more like real life genetics (though real life is more complex it's much closer to real genetics than say...Sims 3)
3. I haven't really done much with this game (compared to most others) and I love learning new things and finding new things to do and Sims to play with.
4. All the CC and mods out there for it! Don't like something? Someone probably already modded it. Want some CC? Plenty to choose from!
I just...I love everything about it. I can't help myself with it. There is something I can't put my finger on, but I love it.

My Simblr
He/They
Instructor
#204 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 3:59 PM Last edited by MarcyRoars : 27th Jul 2015 at 5:32 PM.
It might not be the best idea to resurrect such an old thread, and I might get lynched for it, but just in case anyone is interested in my opinion, here goes.

The thing about The Sims 2 is that unlike TS3 and TS4, it has all these tiny details that just do it for me. Far, FAR better radio music, appliances like landlines, dishwashers, a whole lot of services. Stuff that The Sims 4 lacks completely. The Sims 2 has this kind of charm that none of other two sequels have. And for example, The Sims 4 Get To Work is kind of a let down compared to The Sims 2 Open For Business. The issue nowadays is that the developers want to focus on so many things at once. OFB only focused on the retail and home business stuff, leaving out every and anything regarding active careers. This is what they should have done with GTW, because right now it is; once again, an unfinished mess.

I think that's what I like the most about The Sims 2. Everything just felt finished and completely right. Very little bugs, almost everything my heart desired. All these tiny tiny details that EAxis didn't forget to put in for nitpickers like me. This is what I think makes TS2 so great. It's that special charm. Something that TS3 lacks somewhat, and TS4 lacks COMPLETELY.

So there you have it. If it wasn't for the extremely long loading times and dated AI, I would've been playing The Sims 2 right now.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Lab Assistant
#205 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 7:38 PM
I'm the one rare guy who likes both TS2 and TS3. And, honestly, my opinion? Each game caters to a specific type of player.

As you can see from the thread's replies, The Sims 2 is more for the players who want to have full control of all non-townie/NPC Sims in the neighbourhood by carefully guiding them through their career tracks and building relations the way they want, while The Sims 3 is more for the players who want to progress through tne world themselves and see the world progressing alongside them(though that feature is pretty shoddy, I admit...). I'm the type of player who feels too attached to Sims to have them age or start a legacy, so I just disable aging and go on with it, therefore both games are pretty good to me. (albeit I need mods to keep Sims from aging in TS2)

Unlike most users here, who emigrated from TS2 from TS3/4 and had a shock, I'm the opposite - I started in TS3, then emigrated into TS2 and it was a pain to adapt, haha I was used to the open-worldness, and possiby the main problem I had with the game was in Buy Mode, as TS2 lacks the ability to move/place furniture through half-tiles and do 45° rotation like TS3 has(fortunately there is a cheat to do the latter). And let's not mention the ludicrously long loads and loads of loading.

I guess this is why I have a fairly neutral opinion of TS4(though I don't like how they got rid of the open world). I must say, though, TS3 actually can have the neighbourhood progress just like TS2 - you can disable story progression while keeping aging on. Then just switch families through neighbourhood view like you do with TS2, and voila!
Forum Resident
#206 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 8:08 PM
I like Sims 1, 2 and 3 actually. I'm back to 2 these days until I get my video card updated. I'm quavering because I'm going to have to mess with the BIOS. The babies and toddlers are much more interesting in 2, so is the University. I keep trying to get into Sims 4, but I just can't seem to enjoy it past the Sims creation.
Lab Assistant
#207 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 12:57 AM
I can strongly recommend rotational game play. I've played Sims 2 religiously since it came out, but recently started to feel I'd seen/done it all. After a while you know you can get Sims to the top of their careers, get dream dates every time that turn into instant marriages, etc. Finally I decided to try rotational, playing one Sim household for a day and then switching to the next house. It's made me slow down, stop being so goal oriented, pay more attention to each individual Sim as a well-rounded person. It's just so interesting. I've fallen in love with the game all over again.

About what makes the game special... an example. Two Sims met at college and clicked right away, four lightning bolts. I'm thinking wow, I have to let them get together! But then I noticed they have the same turn-off -- "good at cleaning." That's a problem because one has maximum neatness, is a family Sim and very shy. If they get married he'll want to stay home with the kids, and even if they get a maid he'll be cleaning things. Meanwhile his girlfriend is a fortune Sim. She'll need to study cleaning to get to the top of her career. Over time they're both going to improve at cleaning and could end up turned off by each other. So I decided not to make them a couple. I could have ignored or changed the turn offs if I wanted to, but I find it amusing to have these surprises and crazy dilemmas. The game is so loaded with ideas and details that your imagination can go almost anywhere. Sims 3 and 4, to me, don't have the same depth.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#208 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 1:15 AM
That is why I moved onto self contained hoods, where the sims run all needed services. The generation one kids are just now turning into YA and teens and I am interested to see who will take on the bushiness and jobs that are not yet filled. I'm sure many families would love to have a maid or a gardener, but no playable is yet in those positions. Of course that would also have to be a sim who didn't make uni (unless they did cleaning as a stop gap job) and so far they are all heading that way. Might have to make my standards higher.

The cleaning thing would not make that much of a difference. It's personality, zodiac and aspiration that are far and away more important. The turn ons are more like really fancying blond hair, but still marrying a guy with brown hair because at the end of the day it's just hair.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#209 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That is why I moved onto self contained hoods, where the sims run all needed services. The generation one kids are just now turning into YA and teens and I am interested to see who will take on the bushiness and jobs that are not yet filled. I'm sure many families would love to have a maid or a gardener, but no playable is yet in those positions. Of course that would also have to be a sim who didn't make uni (unless they did cleaning as a stop gap job) and so far they are all heading that way. Might have to make my standards higher.

The cleaning thing would not make that much of a difference. It's personality, zodiac and aspiration that are far and away more important. The turn ons are more like really fancying blond hair, but still marrying a guy with brown hair because at the end of the day it's just hair.

Then they won't get the X's over the other person's picture and make vomiting noises when checking them out? I thought the turn-offs were more important than the turn-ons, but haven't experimented much with that.

Is there a mod that lets you put playable Sims into the jobs like maid and gardener? That would be great.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#210 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 3:18 AM
If they have 3 bolts (3 is the max not 4) no. They only do that if they have negative chemistry.

There are various ways of having you playables do jobs like that.
One way is to download the NPC jobs http://modthesims.info/d/294443 and simply let them go to work. It's very cheap pay so they won't get rich.

Two you can use the job but place a simlogical institution sign http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...itutionSign.htm (with appropriate patch) so your maid wont go off to the rabbit hole job but will have the work outfit and will be employed as a maid in their panel. I dislike seeing unemployed in any sims panel who does actually have a job.

You then have some options like using Christianlovs All in One. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=286864 I don't use this but I have seen it used in Jessa's let's plays. You can set it so your playable shows up as the maid or gardener or whatever. Once set every time you load up that house your playable will turn up as the maid, nanny etc.
or what I do is simply use Christianlov's transport mirror http://modthesims.info/d/288005 to teleport my maid in and pay them via his wallet controller when they are finished. I like the mirror as it makes the sim selectable. I find it very useful for sending sims to hospital as it moves them in temporarily.

Another way is to use the NPC maid job and use sim surgery to make the games maid look like your maid. Or any combination of the above.

So far this new hood only has a playable repairman. I pay him $50 for coming over to fix up a computer. He also goes to his rabbit hole NPC job some days but has just bought a smash repair shop so he will be fixing up junker cars more now.

If you Google integrated or self contained hoods sims 2 you should come across some blogs and Jessa's Youtube videos.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#211 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If they have 3 bolts (3 is the max not 4) no. They only do that if they have negative chemistry.

There are various ways of having you playables do jobs like that.
One way is to download the NPC jobs http://modthesims.info/d/294443 and simply let them go to work. It's very cheap pay so they won't get rich.

Two you can use the job but place a simlogical institution sign http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...itutionSign.htm (with appropriate patch) so your maid wont go off to the rabbit hole job but will have the work outfit and will be employed as a maid in their panel. I dislike seeing unemployed in any sims panel who does actually have a job.

You then have some options like using Christianlovs All in One. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=286864 I don't use this but I have seen it used in Jessa's let's plays. You can set it so your playable shows up as the maid or gardener or whatever. Once set every time you load up that house your playable will turn up as the maid, nanny etc.
or what I do is simply use Christianlov's transport mirror http://modthesims.info/d/288005 to teleport my maid in and pay them via his wallet controller when they are finished. I like the mirror as it makes the sim selectable. I find it very useful for sending sims to hospital as it moves them in temporarily.

Another way is to use the NPC maid job and use sim surgery to make the games maid look like your maid. Or any combination of the above.

So far this new hood only has a playable repairman. I pay him $50 for coming over to fix up a computer. He also goes to his rabbit hole NPC job some days but has just bought a smash repair shop so he will be fixing up junker cars more now.

If you Google integrated or self contained hoods sims 2 you should come across some blogs and Jessa's Youtube videos.

Thank you for the info! And this is a good example of what's special about Sims 2. There seems to be almost nothing you can't do with it.
Top Secret Researcher
#212 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 9:37 PM
All this talk of twins and toddlers reminds me - I once had a household of 3 adults and 4 toddlers, and it nearly broke me. Oh my lord. (And that's *with* sleeping mats and a pet food bowl!)
Lab Assistant
#213 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simley
I can strongly recommend rotational game play. I've played Sims 2 religiously since it came out, but recently started to feel I'd seen/done it all. After a while you know you can get Sims to the top of their careers, get dream dates every time that turn into instant marriages, etc. Finally I decided to try rotational, playing one Sim household for a day and then switching to the next house. It's made me slow down, stop being so goal oriented, pay more attention to each individual Sim as a well-rounded person. It's just so interesting. I've fallen in love with the game all over again.

About what makes the game special... an example. Two Sims met at college and clicked right away, four lightning bolts. I'm thinking wow, I have to let them get together! But then I noticed they have the same turn-off -- "good at cleaning." That's a problem because one has maximum neatness, is a family Sim and very shy. If they get married he'll want to stay home with the kids, and even if they get a maid he'll be cleaning things. Meanwhile his girlfriend is a fortune Sim. She'll need to study cleaning to get to the top of her career. Over time they're both going to improve at cleaning and could end up turned off by each other. So I decided not to make them a couple. I could have ignored or changed the turn offs if I wanted to, but I find it amusing to have these surprises and crazy dilemmas. The game is so loaded with ideas and details that your imagination can go almost anywhere. Sims 3 and 4, to me, don't have the same depth.

A turn-off will take away only 22 chemistry points -- at worst it will knock them down to two lightning bolts(and maaaaaaybe one), but it'll never cause them to go into the neutral or negative chemistry zone, so they're still a viable couple.

Plus, you can have the Fortune sim look for a job which doesn't require cleaning. I personally recommend Show Business - you need to max out Charisma and Body, reach level 9 in Creativity and level 6 in Logic to get to the top, but no cleaning skill is required and it has a very high payment of §5,022 per day - and you get a bonus of §10,044 too!
Field Researcher
#214 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 6:28 AM
@OpelSpeedster there's a cheat for half, er quarter tiles too. "setquartertileplacement on/off" to use press Ctrl F to toggle it on and off in play, it's very useful for centring things like TVs, tables, paintings, ect. it came with Mansion and Garden stuff, and regardless of what the wikia sims wiki says objects are completely useable when placed with it
Lab Assistant
#215 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 7:51 AM
Well, thanks to the advice here, I am going to keep my Sims together as a couple. I'm glad because they really are cute together.
Test Subject
#216 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 1:18 AM
Default Real
The Sims 2 Sims look more realistic
And when you download skins,eyes,hair,clothing,ect. It's even more realistic!
Plus there's no Plastic Hair like The Sims 4 (Sorry Sims 4 fans)
Screenshots
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#217 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OpelSpeedster
possiby the main problem I had with the game was in Buy Mode, as TS2 lacks the ability to move/place furniture through half-tiles

There's a cheat for that too btw.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#218 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 1:48 PM
Compared to TS3, I believe TS2 Sims look way better. I really hate TS3 faces. Also, the game performance is better. On my old PC, despite meeting the requirements for TS3, the game would lag so much that it was almost impossible to play, even without CC and EPs. On my new Mac, it's definitely playable but it still lags occasionally on large lots. TS2, on the other hand, worked well enough even on my old PC and is super fast on my Mac (the only lagging I ever get is on large dorm lots, and even then it's minimal).

Compared to TS4, I quite like the looks of both games, but having played TS4 for a little bit I found the game quite boring. I wasn't even that much upset about the babies and the pools, which everyone was talking about, it's just that those Sims were lacking in personality. I don't know if the game got any better with the patches and EPs though.

Ultimately, I think it depends on one's play style. I love focusing on families, generations, etc. and love big families, intertwined with other families in town. So for my play style, TS2 is the best. But I also think TS3 is not too bad, if you prefer focusing on one Sim or small family and developing that Sim, their experiences, etc. instead.
Instructor
#219 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 3:14 PM
TS2 will always be more fun at least for me.
The way the game is set up just makes it a lot better and the cc and mods are bonuses. And without them, since I have UC the game would still be fun..

I haven't touched my Sims 3 game in months.. although I'm tempted to start again but not before I download a ton of mods and cc because the game is currently boring as hell. I'm bored. Not motivated to truly play... it's a break from TS2 really, the graphics are cool and the body sliders, cas is decent, cool you can visit neighbors but it ends there.

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Page 9 of 9