Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 3:20 PM
Default Animation tutorials
Hi: I've been very interestrted about learning animation& I've downloaded the right plugins but, I'm totally lost as I've looked everywhere& I can't find any tutorial on the subject for begginers anyway. Am I overlooking a section cause, there's no tutorial mentioned about this subject when I look for one. Can someone guide me to the right section so, I can get started from the beggining lesson. Thanks for help.
Advertisement
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 3:27 AM
Animation is super tricky, few creators have succeeded with it. That's not meant to scare you away, just to let you know what you are getting yourself into. The modding info center and advanced modding sections are where you need to look. have you succeeded with the beginner projects first? You will need to have mastered meshing and some hacking to do animation.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 6:54 PM
Default I'm not scared yet.
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
Animation is super tricky, few creators have succeeded with it. That's not meant to scare you away, just to let you know what you are getting yourself into. The modding info center and advanced modding sections are where you need to look. have you succeeded with the beginner projects first? You will need to have mastered meshing and some hacking to do animation.
I have made a lots of meshes&One yr ago I made my succssesfull alpha swimsuit. I tried following the basic anim in the MS help section& then I made a sort of dance movement animation. I save it & following a tutorial at sim cave about making a pose animation I got lost at the end cause the tutorial was actually about different poses& mine is just a sequences of dance movement when I pressed the animation. It's just a nice dance animation & that's why I got lost cause he/she were describing a few static poses so, at the end I got tired & deleted what was is milkshake not knowing how to save it either. That's why I'm looking at to find a basic. I D/loaded marvines thing but,it's to advance so, I didn't get it. The part about animating in M/s seems to be quite easy& fun, it's what I do with it afterwards that I need some tutorials for. Thanks.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 7:51 PM
This is the forum you should learn to love if you are truly set on animation http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=428 Read everything, even other peoples posted questions, its the best way to learn.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Aug 2011 at 9:05 PM
Default Thank you
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
This is the forum you should learn to love if you are truly set on animation http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=428 Read everything, even other peoples posted questions, its the best way to learn.
I've been there already& there doesn't seem to be some real continuation of info I mean some posts are so outdated/using old tools .... while others are way too advance for a begginer. I don't know,. maybe I'll look again & see if I can find a begginer tutorial which is done after Wes How's plug-ins using milshake. That would be quite nice to find. I wanna learn how to make some simple animations to include,complement& or replace for example some of maxis more purely childish animations if possible. I know it is like climbing a mountain now & I hope I find something& the path would be easier then. Thank you.
Alchemist
#6 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 1:21 AM
Call me anything, but spell my name right!

Yes, the tools are old, but they work as well as they did when they were released. If you have been able to make meshes before, you should have the requisite skills to get your animation into the game. There are a few common gotchas peculiar to Sims 2 animations:

* The group identifier must be 0x1c0532a, not 0x1c00000000. This is a coding mistake in the game engine, as it only ever looks in the master group to find your animation.
* People forget to 'Fix TGI' on the animation in SimPE after they have changed the TGI values on it, or they forget to link to the new TGI correctly.
* You need to use one of the animation starter rigs instead of a mesh imported with UniMesh, because of joint order differences.

These are the top three issues that happen after people manage to learn the steps to make an animation. All will either create problems exporting the animation or will result in the game being unable to locate the animation to run. One other issue is that animations that move more than 180 degrees will spin the wrong way halfway through unless you follow special steps in SimPE to adjust the rotation value. That one mostly affects animation where people are trying to make the Sim spin around or do a flip. However, in that case the animation will go into the game just fine, but it won't play as expected.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 1:49 AM
Default Hi:
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
Call me anything, but spell my name right!

Yes, the tools are old, but they work as well as they did when they were released. If you have been able to make meshes before, you should have the requisite skills to get your animation into the game. There are a few common gotchas peculiar to Sims 2 animations:

* The group identifier must be 0x1c0532a, not 0x1c00000000. This is a coding mistake in the game engine, as it only ever looks in the master group to find your animation.
* People forget to 'Fix TGI' on the animation in SimPE after they have changed the TGI values on it, or they forget to link to the new TGI correctly.
* You need to use one of the animation starter rigs instead of a mesh imported with UniMesh, because of joint order differences.

These are the top three issues that happen after people manage to learn the steps to make an animation. All will either create problems exporting the animation or will result in the game being unable to locate the animation to run. One other issue is that animations that move more than 180 degrees will spin the wrong way halfway through unless you follow special steps in SimPE to adjust the rotation value. That one mostly affects animation where people are trying to make the Sim spin around or do a flip. However, in that case the animation will go into the game just fine, but it won't play as expected.

<* Wes *>
Firstly I'm sorry for spelling your name wrong ya, I miised an e at the end. It wasn't intentional& all I can say is that english is my fouth language cause,I usually take care not to misspel anybody's name. I did my own animation using a custom body mesh I've made without the head susing your famouses unimesh plug-in. I exported it also using another one of you great plugin. I just ran into problem cause, I was reading a tutorial on net for making static poses. That's why I've been looking for a basic tutoial to get my dance movement animation into the game. As far as I've understood I must clone a reaction tester but, after that I get lost cause, all I find is related to static pose boxes. You follow me Wes? I'm stuck.