Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2010 at 8:42 AM Last edited by -Mallow- : 13th Dec 2010 at 4:08 PM.
Default Black mesh -> odd shine
I have not used milkshape much yet, so I am now quite lost that the mesh shows suddenly all black. I exported it from 3Ds as obj,file into MS. Thank you for anyone who can help me fix this.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 13th Dec 2010 at 9:14 AM
You need to alligne the normals
select all faces(or select the mesh in the groups tab)
turn on autosmooth(also in groups tab)
mirror the mesh and mirror it back
turn off autosmooth
If the mesh is splitup on the uvmap then there will be visible seams on the mesh, you can fix these with Demon's alligne normals, a plugin you find here on MTS2

Cant tell by screenshot if this is a mesh that covers the face or if its the face itself but if its connected to the neck then that seam needs to be updated with specific normal settings wich you can copy from a basegame mesh.
You can do this with the manual edit(also includid in Demon's alligne normal plugin or with Wes H his merge tools
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Dec 2010 at 12:28 PM
I fixed the normals with Wes H align normals tool, I made bone assignments, copied comments etc, and as I was going to export is as LOD0 I get error message of "you cannot export this mesh, you must split the seams first," So can someone tell me how exactly do I do this so it the mesh will work?
(yes the mesh is a bit bigger than head only to cover the face, I'm trying to make it as a "hat hair", so it is not connected to the neck)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Dec 2010 at 12:53 PM
You need to select any vertices which are on seams - that is, vertices which appear in two different places on the UVMap - and unweld them. Various UVMapping tools, such as RoadKill, will show you which vertices need to be split.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Dec 2010 at 3:59 PM
Thank you, I got the mesh all way to the sims, works pretty fine so far. How ever in the CAS the mesh has this horrible metal shine, and the texture looks a bit strange, but when I take her in the game the mesh looks all normal. The specularmap is really dark so what could cause this strong shine?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Dec 2010 at 4:19 PM
Could you post a pic? There are so very many ways in which CAS likes to screw up rendering...

Sockpuppet
#7 Old 13th Dec 2010 at 4:25 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 14th Dec 2010 at 4:26 PM.
if it only happens in CAS it might be that there are meshparts that share the same texture on the UVmap.
With sims 2 you could for instance mesh one side of a shoe mesh, then duplicate it and mirror that part.(so left and right side share the same texture)
This cant be done in sims 3.(it messes up the lightning and shadows.
I dont know how hair files are build but the meshparts of clothing(and maybe hats) all need to be uvmapped seperate from eachother.

a screenshot might clear things up
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 6:45 AM Last edited by -Mallow- : 14th Dec 2010 at 2:54 PM.
I seen this problem in some meshes created by others, and even using these CC makes the EA's own meshes shine in CAS (deleting those usually fixed that) Back then I suspected bad specularmap, but as you say I believe now it might very well be the UVmap's fault, as the back and front part of my mesh that looks bad in CAS are overlapping eachother on the Uvmap. So in order to get rid of this metal shine I should fix the Uvmap?

EDIT: since the clothes' Uvmap has this order where which part of the mesh has to be, how is it with hathairs? if I place a part of Uv on a spot where there's hair on the original texture, will there be problems? (since I've noticed the left side has always mesh parts and hair seems to be always on the right side)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 10:12 AM
Hmm, that could be the problem. I have this issue with the Halloween masks I uploaded a while ago, and indeed the UVMap is doubled up as I didn't feel the need to texture the underside separately. Are EA really going to force us to map every part separately...?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 10:46 AM
Indeed that was the problem. I made new uvmap, and tested, now the shine is gone. I also find it quite waste that we have to map all the parts separately
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 1:13 PM
With hairs you can map a left and a right side on one spot.
Cant remember the hats.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 2:53 PM
Alright, thank you for all the help