Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 7:11 PM
Default Two Uploads Together?
If someone who doesn't have build items a creator has included in a lot file, will the game then substitute the closest item in that tray?

I've made a library that has a fair amount of CC in it - mostly objects here and there that lend a sense of lived in - current use.

I knew right away that I should offer the CC-clean file for download along with a list of the objects (books, records, etc.) they might want to include...

But in addition to the decorative objects, there are two build items. One is a sim3pack...it's roof edging from cyclonesue. And the other is a package file, counter-height windows (I'm using for an iinterior wall) created by HugeLunatic.

I feel that these two items are very important to keeping the look I was hoping for.

Is it appropriate to upload two files in this case? One with CC and one without? I ask, because if someone were to download the CC-less file, they'd have to edge the roof themselves, yes? And replace the windows in the AV room...and then CASt them to match?

I'm not sure what to do. I see an option for more than one download, but I've only seen that with worlds and different-flavored mods.

Thank you for helping.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 7:31 PM
They won't have to re-edge the roof or replace the windows if they install those items before placing the lot. Removing CC items from the sims3pack doesn't take them out of the lot itself.

I would suggest that you make two CC lists - one for "Very very important you should really really get these" items and one for "These just make the lot look nicer" items. That way, downloaders who don't want to download too much extra CC can just download the two really important items, and those with more patience can download everything .

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
They won't have to re-edge the roof or replace the windows if they install those items before placing the lot. I would suggest that you make two CC lists - one for "Very very important you should really really get these" items and one for "These just make the lot look nicer" items. That way, downloaders who don't want to download too much extra CC can just download the two really important items, and those with more patience can download everything .

Thank you! I'll do that. I was actually feeling a little anxious about this. OMG what am I gonna do?

It just all felt so complicated. So, thank you. I'll get my screenshots done, and upload tomorrow.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 5:12 PM

I would suggest that you make two CC lists - one for "Very very important you should really really get these" items and one for "These just make the lot look nicer" items. That way, downloaders who don't want to download too much extra CC can just download the two really important items, and those with more patience can download everything .

Update: I screwed it up, anyway.

1. I included a CC object without obtaining persmission. I totally missed that on the creator's page. (All the others ask that we acknowledge with a link, etc) I have removed it - by going back into the game and replacing it...and then making a new file.

2. I wrote this concerning the roof edge trimming:

The CC on this lot is almost entirely library clutter: books, magazines, newspapers, and a couple of posters you might see in a library today. But with its rich furnishings, this library would look fine without it.

However, if you wish to duplicate/match the images I've posted of library, there are two files I think you'll really need.
To duplicate the library's exterior, you'll need the roof trim. It's a Sims3pack. Unlike the base game's monorail fencing,
CycloneSue's small roof trim lays flush with the top edge of the building, is just a wee more substantial, and has no cubes jutting out at every corner.
This edging lays perfectly flush against a wall's entire length.

The moderator has explained:
It looks like the small roof trim by CycloneSue is included in the sims3pack, so you don't need to tell downloaders to get it separately from TSR -
it's the one listed as "Unknown" if you hit the magnifying glass on the Files tab

Just when I think I've got a handle on package v. simpack...iy yi yi. I made that note I was gonna. And it's taped right here next to me. I went ahead and took a photo (for this post) a few minutes ago.

I guess I'll just delete the whole paragraph. I'm not sure how it works. But obviously the CC comes with when you add it to a file? So the edging will be on the building when they open it in their game? Oy. WCIF a couple of IQ points?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 8:50 PM Last edited by DOLCE_VIDA : 19th Feb 2014 at 9:02 PM.
Default cyclonesue's roof trim
Quote:
I guess I'll just delete the whole paragraph. I'm not sure how it works. But obviously the CC comes with when you add it to a file? So the edging will be on the building when they open it in their game? Oy. WCIF a couple of IQ points?

Hi, don't worry, I've had it happen to me as well. I thought I had taken out ALL the CC on a sim, but nope, forgot one thing...

The edging will indeed be on the building when a player downloads your lot (since it's part of the pack), and you can just EDIT your paragraph and state that the roof trim by "cyclonesue" is included in the lot. You can create a "hyperlink" using her name, that way it will lead people to the creator's profile.

The important thing is that you did try to clean out all the CC, you acknowledged the creator of the CC, and are paying attention to the creator's T.O.U policy. I checked out the artist profile of "Cyclonesue", and s(he) stated: "Please know that you're welcome to download and use my content anywhere (ie upload it in lots that you build)....", as long as you give credit and provide a link.

However, there are times when creator's do not want their CC included in uploaded lots, therefore, I'm not sure if any mods or more experienced builder's agree, what I would do is save two copies to my library: One would be the original with all the CC, and the other would have only base game/EP/stuff pack items for my MTS upload (in case the "cc clean" misses something).

Hope that helps...or did I TOTALLY misunderstand and say something repetitive?
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DOLCE_VIDA
However, there are times when creator's do not want their CC included in uploaded lots, therefore, I'm not sure if any mods or more experienced builder's agree, what I would do is save two copies to my library: One would be the original with all the CC, and the other would have only base game/EP/stuff pack items for my MTS upload (in case the "cc clean" misses something).

Hope that helps...or did I TOTALLY misunderstand and say something repetitive?

Thank you. It's making more sense. I think I should be taking better notes of some of these differences between the two kinds of files. I keep getting them mixed up.

As to the use of unauthorized CC. It's kinda mortifying. I'm glad the moderator caught it. If it had posted, then the creator would have been upset, and I wouldn't have blamed her. I really did think I'd checked the policies of the creators, but I either skipped her entirely or I got her confused with another person whose stuff I'd downloaded that day. Either way, yikes.

Instead of using the cleaner, I went back in and substituted that creator's items with another's. There's a table of LPs and 45s next to a room with a record player. I really needed that table to look as though there was a selection.

I just deleted the old file, and uploaded the new one with a suffix to the name.

When the lot posts, I'm going to edit to make sure I'm giving a stronger acknowledgement of cyclonesue's edging, because what I did was delete that paragraph and its accompanying screenshot. So the only acknowledgement is in the section where all sims3packs are acknowledged. I really wouldn't have bothered with that particular exterior without that trim.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
Thank you. It's making more sense. I think I should be taking better notes of some of these differences between the two kinds of files. I keep getting them mixed up.

As to the use of unauthorized CC. It's kinda mortifying. I'm glad the moderator caught it. If it had posted, then the creator would have been upset, and I wouldn't have blamed her. I really did think I'd checked the policies of the creators, but I either skipped her entirely or I got her confused with another person whose stuff I'd downloaded that day. Either way, yikes.

Instead of using the cleaner, I went back in and substituted that creator's items with another's. There's a table of LPs and 45s next to a room with a record player. I really needed that table to look as though there was a selection.

I just deleted the old file, and uploaded the new one with a suffix to the name.

When the lot posts, I'm going to edit to make sure I'm giving a stronger acknowledgement of cyclonesue's edging, because what I did was delete that paragraph and its accompanying screenshot. So the only acknowledgement is in the section where all sims3packs are acknowledged. I really wouldn't have bothered with that particular exterior without that trim.

Yea...I still get confused too and hope I don't mess up with the lots I'm hoping to submit soon...I tell ya. As for CC, I have read how upset creator's are getting because folks are not giving credit where credit is due, or folks are outright "faking the funk" and acting like they created the CC! Having moderators comes in VERY handy, especially when it comes to uploads.

I look forward to seeing your lot.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 11:41 PM
The difference between sims3packs and package is quite simple really. Sims3pack are the one's you install through the launcher and they get stuck on your lot. Removing them can be a real pain if they are build items. They gets replaced with silly stuff looking stupid, and you need external 3'rd party programs to take them out, installing the lot in the same game again might make the CC reappear in the lot file.

Package files needs some TLC if you want them to be listed, otherwise the downloader will get some strange looking balconies and thinks it's suppose to look like that. If you have a CC list as long as the longest hair you have ever seen, it can be an impossible mess.

You just need to have sorted this out before you make your house, cleaning up after is just another pain. I and many others keep different games for different sites and policies. You just rename your main sims3 game folder and start the game. It will make a new vanilla game for you, much easier.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Feb 2014 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
The difference between sims3packs and package is quite simple really. Sims3pack are the one's you install through the launcher and they get stuck on your lot. Removing them can be a real pain if they are build items. They gets replaced with silly stuff looking stupid, and you need external 3'rd party programs to take them out, installing the lot in the same game again might make the CC reappear in the lot file.

Package files needs some TLC if you want them to be listed, otherwise the downloader will get some strange looking balconies and thinks it's suppose to look like that. If you have a CC list as long as the longest hair you have ever seen, it can be an impossible mess.

You just need to have sorted this out before you make your house, cleaning up after is just another pain. I and many others keep different games for different sites and policies. You just rename your main sims3 game folder and start the game. It will make a new vanilla game for you, much easier.

So anyone who downloads my library is stuck with CC they might not want. Maybe it would have been better to upload a library free of any CC (except for that roof trim, and the counter-height windows.) I guess I should have just offered the shopping list, and showed what the library would have looked like both ways. Comparison photos for each spot I put something. Mostly it's the 1st and 4th floors. Too late now.

I had things all turned around. I thought that those objects would only show up if those CC files were also downloaded. Live and learn. I've written this down. No more sims3packs inside my uploads. I'll just have to make lots that don't rely on such things.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Feb 2014 at 1:12 AM
If anyone who downloads your library doesn't want the CC, they can remove it using CUSTARD before installing the library. And - that's why we ask you to list all of the items of CC in the file. So downloaders aren't caught unawares!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Feb 2014 at 1:35 AM Last edited by tsyokawe : 20th Feb 2014 at 3:49 PM.
If anyone who downloads your library doesn't want the CC, they can remove it using CUSTARD before installing the library. And - that's why we ask you to list all of the items of CC in the file. So downloaders aren't caught unawares!

oh, thank goodness! I've been wondering if I should delete it, and start a whole new approval request. I've been trying to word the request, and figure out who to send it to.

This is good news. The library and the botanical gardens are my two favorites. I was soooo bummed that I would have put something up that would cause a problem in someone's game when all I wanted was to make it easier by making things that someone might not have the time to.

Thank you. I'm glad I subscribed to this thread and kept checking back on it.

In the future, I'm still gonna not include sims3packs in my uploads. I'll just make the links available if I think something would look better with CC...along with appropriate pics.

20feb, 0848 hrs eta: Last night, I added a link to delphy's CUSTARD mod. And should I ever decide to actually include sims3packs in future lots (pretty sure that won't happen, but if I do) I will include a link to that mod in the download's text portion.

Thank you for being so patient about all this, and for helping me learn more about the differences between the two types of files. Time to tape a new sign on the wall.
dodgy builder
#12 Old 20th Feb 2014 at 10:27 AM
Just remember that if you take out sims3packs from your house before uploading, casting is probably not going to work. The downloader may also have to redo the feature you made to make it work. with package files they won't follow, but if the downloader downloads it prior to installing the house, your casting will still be there.