Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 5:35 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Not opening
Hi! I'm playing Sims 2 Super Collection on a 2015 MacBook Pro. I had to verify the game, and it loaded all the way but when I try to open it again, it just starts verifying again. On my iMac it works completely fine and it's on the same update. (Both on the newest update). What do I do!! I don't want to reinstall it because I already have a family I have played a lot on, and I dont want to lose it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 9:37 PM
First, have you dumped your cache? That's always the first thing to try, because it's so simple to do.

You may have to wait awhile for a Mac user to come along - I have no idea what this verifying and updating stuff is about. While waiting, go through the Game Problem FAQ and do the steps in it that it's possible to do. Whether they make any sense or not. Computers aren't required to make sense!

Remember that the problem may be something to do with your OS, and see if there's anything about making Sims2 work with it on the web. I know people have to take various special steps to make Sims2 work on the various recent Windows versions, and the Mac OS may have similar hoops to jump through. What's different between your iMac and your MacBook? That may give you a clue.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 1:01 AM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 16th Feb 2016 at 1:30 AM. Reason: minor changerder of info.
I am not sure what the problem might be, anyways what Version of OS X are you running on each machine? It shouldn't as far as I know.

You may not have to Reinstall, instead you might want to delete the cache files that are inside The Sims 2 folder.

first unhide your Libray folder if you haven't already done so by going to the Finder View menu then Show View Options and choose to show your Library folder.

Then in the Finder go to the Go menue and type in the Go to Folder menu this:

~Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/

Inside should be The Sims 2 folder and that is where the game files are located.

If you don't find your The Sims 2 folder, check to make sure that typed the path carefully and keep in mind that Case matters.

Tip: drag the Sims 2 folder to your Dock and it will make put a folder there that you can then use to get to your Sims 2 folder easily, this is what I did as I am always adding CC or changing something and I delete the Cache files a lot.

Inside The Sims 2 folder, look for Accessory.cache and Groups.cache and drag them to the Trash, the game will recreate them later and sometimes they get corrupted or something and it doesn't hurt.

Now try to launch your game and then go to your Neighborhood.

If you are still having problems I guess it is time to Reinstall, but first:

You don't have to lose your existing family if you reinstall, you just need to move your entire Sims 2 folder that has your game files in it to the Desktop.

At this point you might want to delete the cache files that are inside The Sims 2 folder. Look for Accessory.cache and Groups.cache and drag them to the Trash, the game will recreate them later and sometimes they get corrupted or something and it doesn't hurt.

Next drag The Sims 2: Super Collection from the Applications folder and place it in the Trash..

Download a new copy of The Sims 2: Super Collection from the App Store and install it in your Applications folder.

Once you have reinstalled you should start the game and let it create a new copy of The Sims 2 folder and load what ever neighborhood you want to make sure that it is working.

Next quit your game and replace the newly created The Sims 2 folder with the one you moved to your Desktop, Then launch the game and see if everything is ok.

I hope that my instructions are clear.

Let us know if you still have problems.

If you do still have this problem you are experiencing and you did follow my guide as to what to do you might want to contact Aspyr Support, they are pretty good and that is what I would do if I had a problem I couldn't fix with the basic loading of the game or other issues like that.

When it comes to problems with Custom Content you should ask here on MTS as Aspyr doesn't support any sort of CC.
Instructor
#4 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 3:48 AM
I am having this same problem too -- game ran fine until yesterday then it wouldn't launch. I have tried all of the helpful suggestions on this thread except lordtyger9's suggestion of putting The Sims 2: Super Collection from the Applications folder in the Trash and then downloading a new copy of The Sims 2: Super Collection from the App Store and install it in your Applications folder. Right now it just says "Open" on my super collection icon in the App Store so I am unclear if I can actually download it again without paying?

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 11:43 PM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 16th Feb 2016 at 11:51 PM. Reason: additional information
Quote: Originally posted by vllygrl
I am having this same problem too -- game ran fine until yesterday then it wouldn't launch. I have tried all of the helpful suggestions on this thread except lordtyger9's suggestion of putting The Sims 2: Super Collection from the Applications folder in the Trash and then downloading a new copy of The Sims 2: Super Collection from the App Store and install it in your Applications folder. Right now it just says "Open" on my super collection icon in the App Store so I am unclear if I can actually download it again without paying?

Once you buy something from the App Store, there is a record that you purchased it, so you can download what you purchase again when you need to do it. Don't worry about having to pay again, you just need your Apple ID.

Since you are going to Reinstall, don't forget to put your saved game The Sims 2 folder someplace like the Desktop and then launch the game and let it create a new The Sims 2 folder and check your game to see if it is ok.

Later after you have tested it, then you put your old The Sims 2 folder back and check your game again.

I have not had the failure to launch problem myself. I do get a problem with the Neighborhood not loading, but I fix that by deleting the Cache files.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Feb 2016 at 8:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by engdalmagnus01
Hi! I'm playing Sims 2 Super Collection on a 2015 MacBook Pro. I had to verify the game, and it loaded all the way but when I try to open it again, it just starts verifying again. On my iMac it works completely fine and it's on the same update. (Both on the newest update). What do I do!! I don't want to reinstall it because I already have a family I have played a lot on, and I dont want to lose it.

It's not a problem if you reinstall it as long as you backup your files. Than it will work better than before