Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 7:20 PM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 20th Feb 2015 at 1:35 AM.
Default Is there a way to toggle mermaids yet? (solved)
So did anyone ever figure out a way to keep mermaids from spawning in towns not from Island paradise or...?
I'm tired of the random mermaid generating thing killing off my townies one by one. I swear every time I go to a party a random sim (sometimes playable, important community members) will pass out from dehydration, and of course no one bothers to try and re-hydrate them, and I can't always get there quick enough because of the crowd. I've had many sims die this way and it's flipping irritating. Is there a way to get around without just simply not installing the pack?
Has someone made a toggle for mermaids like the options has for other occults?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 7:32 PM
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 8:16 PM
Has anyone tried? If I knew where to look in the code I might have a look see if I can figure it out. Keep it from generating mermaids AT ALL so it only has the pre-mades in Isla Paradoso. That might be the best solution.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 9:14 PM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 19th Feb 2015 at 9:29 PM.
The premade mermaids in IP are different from the ones you mean. Or at least I think you mean random townies being turned into mermaids through story progression. So to turn these off you'd either have to turn off story progression or use a story progression mod.
The premade mermaids, on the other hand, are a special mermaid household that will only exist when a world has dive spots. And these mermaids won't turn up in the world other than appear in dive spots from time to time. This can be turned off in a tuning mod, but the random transformation of townies into mermaids might be a bit more complicated.

Edit: This mod here, by Shimrod, tunes EA story progression and, for example, used to block vampires from being created before there was the toggle provided by EA. So, I guess this could be your starting point: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=424796
Field Researcher
#5 Old 20th Feb 2015 at 1:04 AM
If you are willing to use NRAAS Story Progression, the ability to turn mermaids off is in the base module.

Its under General Options > Sims > Town Occult Ratio
Change Mermaids to 0 and fine tune the relative quantity of any other occults you like. Its a ratio so '50' means 'have half as many vampires as human sims' not 'Have 50 vampires'.
This lets you tune all the occults in the game, including unicorns so its very useful for things like if you are playing in a city world and you want to have just one or two fairies running around, but the place be crawling with vampires.
I usually tune it to 5 for everything, then witches to 30, fairies/werewolves/vamps to 20. That stops me feeling like every second sim in my town is an occult.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 20th Feb 2015 at 1:22 AM
If you have Retuner installed there are some more options available:
From City Hall or a computer access:
NRaas>Retuner>Settings>General>By Tuneable XML>Sims3.Gameplay.ActorSystems>NPCMermaids to change the settings in the Mermaid Manager
0 = the Island Paradise world,
1 = all other worlds.
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Feb 2015 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kidhedera
If you are willing to use NRAAS Story Progression, the ability to turn mermaids off is in the base module.

Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
If you have Retuner installed there are some more options available:

I could have sworn I had tried both of these methods before but perhaps I missed a step in the tuning. I'll have to try again when I get everything re installed. Thank you for your responses.

Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
This mod here, by Shimrod, tunes EA story progression and, for example, used to block vampires from being created before there was the toggle provided by EA. So, I guess this could be your starting point

I was pretty certain from what I looked at townie generated mermaids worked slightly differently to townie generated occults from supernatural, but I might give it a look if the other methods don't work.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 20th Feb 2015 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
I could have sworn I had tried both of these methods before but perhaps I missed a step in the tuning. I'll have to try again when I get everything re installed. Thank you for your responses.

I was pretty certain from what I looked at townie generated mermaids worked slightly differently to townie generated occults from supernatural, but I might give it a look if the other methods don't work.

The NRAAS SP method I outlined above wont get rid of any existing mermaids that happen to be in your townie pool when you set it, it just stops new ones being generated. Master Controller could be used to track down and annihilate them tho.

Good luck!