Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 11:23 AM Last edited by daisylee : 25th Jan 2018 at 12:09 PM.
I have played since 1 came out and had cc and mods. I had 40000 CC items for 2 and I think about 150 mods. I have too much CC for 3 to count and too many mods. One of the key reasons I prefer 3 to 4 is CASt. I have liked and disliked things from every version. Having additions makes the game much better for many of us, such as all the Nraas mods I have. The games have been a great creative outlet for many fine artists. One thing I think we need to remember though is I read a while ago that about 95% of sims players or more use no CC and never even come to Sims sites like this. The crowd here, all of us, is a much more discerning group about the games than the majority of players. The games are fine as is for a very high majority of the players. Posts here just represent players like us.

I am glad we have options, and that is why I came here in the first place. And each of us can taylor our game to our needs as best we can . And that is as it should be.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 3:55 PM
@MeowMixPls Yesssss. I play a lot of older games anyways, so maybe I'm just a taaaad bit biased. Actually one of my favorite game series has gotten a 'modern' upgrade...and I don't like it. Too blurry, detracts from gameplay...and dully colored. It's so dull. Minecraft is an excellent example! I'm almost overly picky about shaders because some of them make the game look too dark and have far too much bloom. There's only one I really know about that I think looks the best, in my opinion. I don't even know its name. https://goo.gl/images/YuiKE8 <---And even then it's a bit more bloom...y than I like.
Also I do the same with sims I didn't create. Or I just use them as filler and see what they do. Heck, I even put my simself in there and she's getting married soon. Just hope she makes some babies too.

I might as well show some screenshots from games that I think use a good lighting engine for the type of game it is. In addition to looking nice, it plays well with the gameplay.
And some for style too. Although I guess it'll show what kind of games I typically like lol (although not my screenshots sadly. No capture card here)

I'll also say that I do think it can be improved upon, but sometimes you just need to embrace it. If my personal preference is for more cartoony, less realism, by jove I'm going for it! Kind of the nice thing about the sims. If someone likes making stories with it, and another person prefers screenshotting the silly happenings in their sim family? They don't have to agree, just play it their way.

Isn't that the point of the sims, anyways?
Field Researcher
#53 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 4:50 PM Last edited by Jo-Anne : 28th Jan 2018 at 7:10 PM.
I've actually played the game vanilla for years. Since about two years now I've been using some mods (the usual ones: Overwatch, Errortrap and Mastercontroller) and some cc (kurasoberina's primer skin and a lighting mod, wasser_enchanted sky). The mods have made things a lot easier and creating attractive sims seems to have become a bit easier as well. Though I still prefer my old sims the way they were vanilla. Probably because that's how I know them and loved them.

The game vanilla:

Same event with the lighting mod:

I really like Sims 3's art style. I'd love for them to improve it for a successor (making it a bit more realistic than it is now).
Mad Poster
#54 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jo-Anne
I really like Sims 3's art style. I'd love for them to improve it for a successor (making it a bit more realistic than it is now).

Yeah I think they could evolve it really well. The thing is, TS3 is a "realistic" game but it's still inherently cartoonish. TS3 isn't TOO realistic either, especially not compared to it's more hardcore contemporaries. This is especially obvious in The Sims Medieval, which has a smooth painterly aesthetic. If you ask me, TS5 should take a good look at Telltale's art style. Hell even Overwatch beats the shit out of TS4 in terms of visual fidelity.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#55 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 7:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Yeah I think they could evolve it really well. The thing is, TS3 is a "realistic" game but it's still inherently cartoonish. TS3 isn't TOO realistic either, especially not compared to it's more hardcore contemporaries. This is especially obvious in The Sims Medieval, which has a smooth painterly aesthetic. If you ask me, TS5 should take a good look at Telltale's art style. Hell even Overwatch beats the shit out of TS4 in terms of visual fidelity.

My personal preference rather is realistic for this franchise, though I do like there to be humour (but rather in behaviour of the sims, though, the way you see it in sitcoms). Googled Telltale, but I think that might be too stylized for me. I like the ‘noisy’ textures in 2 and 3.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 7:40 PM
Well if you're looking for a "hard" realistic style, you end up with something like Zero Dawn, the new Red Dead, or something Wolfenstein-ish. But The Sims will never be THAT realistic and I don't think it should be. I think it should lean towards realistic without ever fully committing to it. Like TS3. But new. Telltale's games have kind of a "soft" cartoonish look, they're stylized but still generally lifelike. Moreso than, say, Borderlands. TS4 is a lot more cartoonish than that, to the point that Sims and objects are exaggerated to look more cutesy. That's DEFINITELY not the right direction.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#57 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 8:22 PM
If you mean photorealism, no, that I don't need. I prefer a more stylized artstyle as well. Realistic but idealized realistic.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 8:50 PM
Remember when they advertised TS4's graphics as being "stylized reality"...? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#59 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 9:06 PM
I remember at one point folks thought Medieval was the direction they were going, and then when we saw the first images for 4 it sure blew that out of the water. Total opposite direction.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 10:18 PM
Yeah that's what I was hoping for too. Medieval was a step in the right direction.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#61 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I remember at one point folks thought Medieval was the direction they were going, and then when we saw the first images for 4 it sure blew that out of the water. Total opposite direction.

If only... I thought that to be honest. I think TSM CAS was developed by the same person(s?)? But in an art style that spoils it for me.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 10:43 PM
Our hopes were dashed. Sob! Then when we heard no CASt and no open world, it was yikes!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#63 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 11:07 AM Last edited by MeowMixPls : 30th Jan 2018 at 11:19 AM.
Oh yes, I forgot about sims medieval.

What they got:

What we got:

Mad Poster
#64 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 1:01 PM
Well to be fair TS3 Sims rarely if ever look quite THAT bad. Then again, it looks to me like both screenshots were taken on lower graphics settings so that isn't doing them any favours.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#65 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 4:57 PM
That example doesn't do Sims 3 any justice, sorry But females definitely look better in TSM.

I've always preferred my males in TS3 though.

Meh...
Scholar
#66 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 5:11 PM
I really like the skin in the Sims Medieval, but the hair is nicer in Sims 3.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 5:27 PM
I love the music in Medieval. And that is the best grim reaper IMO! And I like that there are more adult themes. I really need to reinstall it and play it again for a while. The only thing that really irritated me was starting over each time.
Mad Poster
#68 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 5:52 PM
Yeah, TSM definitely has some themes going on that the regular Sims games don't. Murder and stuff. I specifically remember there being a quest where you have to execute a traitor or something, and after your Sim impales the guy on a sword he just drops dead. I don't mind that aspect of it.
I just don't understand the lack of horses in the game. Everyone walks everywhere? I mean it came out the same year TS3's Pets did. Both games use the same engine. I'd have ported the horses from TS3 to TSM if I were them. And on top of that, half of the game takes place inside rabbit holes. The world is tiny, all the "action" happens outside it. When I first heard there were going to be other kingdoms in the medieval world, I was expecting that'd mean you could travel to them. After all, why else would the default world be so very small?
But indeed, great soundtrack. Very memorable. Very cinematic.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#69 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 10:38 PM
You have to love a game where a monster can pull you into a pit and have you for dinner. :D
Page 3 of 3