Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 1:51 AM
Default Blood Test !! (eeekk)
RAWR.
I have a blood test tomorrow due to having little bumps in my neck.
They say there lymph nodes.
Hopefully they are but they have to have a blood test just incase
I dont like blood tests :S
Ive had one once for my foot (something was wrong with it , but they didnt know what)
Have you ever had one done to you ?
I dont look because all the blood freaks me out, the changing of the tubey thingy is more painful than the needle though as i remember inless ... they changed it ! AHH :argh:

Anyway tell me if you have had one before =]
For what.

(Ps. This thread is just to ease my silly mind )
If its too useless to this forum please delete it and im sorry .

Anyway Post away
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 1:59 AM
Don't worry shnive, we all have them done.

I have to get them about once every other month, due to my autoimmune diseases.

I remember one time, because I watched them take my blood, I passed out in the office. It was fun :D

Edit: Keep in mind, I'm 13, if I can do it, you can :P
#3 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 2:23 AM
Yeah don't worry. It won't hurt that much. I have to have it done sometimes because I'm anemic.
Scholar
#4 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 2:26 AM
I've had a few done, and I just look away while they put it in. I'm a BIG baby about needles, and I can't stand getting them done. I'm nearly twenty and they still give me a lollipop (I ask though, but that's cause I like candy :P)

You've just got to grin and bear it, it's something that's gotta be done. Hope everything ends up okay for you

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 2:29 AM
Thanks Stormy
haha slytherin lollipops are always good
Chocolate, im thirteen too!
Turning fourteen on the 28th!
You guys definatly make me feel better

Note: its not necessarily the blood test its like the results you know.
I dont want something bad to happen
#6 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 4:17 AM
I have a huge phobia of needles, to the point I freak out if the doctor even mentions them around me. So getting blood drawn is horrible. I have a full out panic attack. I must look so stupid because I'm 14 o_o. And clinging to my mom and crying. And it's horrible since I need to get blood tested every now and then due to the medication I'm on. Booo D: I'm getting nervous just thinking about it. >__<;;

But yes, I fully understand the not wanting to do it. XDD I hope it does go well though! And I hope the results are okay. :]
#7 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 4:22 AM
I've had a whole lot done. Blood drawing is much better than vaccines for me because they do not hurt a bit. It's just a prickle and then, voila, they're done. Just look the other way if you don't like the sight of blood. But when you get Vitamin C injected in you, trust me, that hurts. Be GRATEFUL! lol, no, but be strong. Seriously, it's no biggie. Bring a book with you if it might help you look away and try to make conversation with the person that's extracting your blood. Bite your lower lip and even though I know you're dying to look, don't. It'll make it much less painful.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 5:22 AM
i had to get a vile (vial?) or two drawn last week and i was so terrified i put it off for three days. when i finally did suck it up and go it went much smoother than i thought. i obviously hated the initial prick, but i barely felt anything after and a minute later it was done.

i psyched myself out so bad, but it really wasn't a BFD or anything.
#9 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 6:01 AM
I've had one once every year since I was four. They're not so bad, once you get used to them. I hope that yours goes well!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 6:25 AM
I've had them at nearly every doc's visit since I was three weeks old, thanks to my thyroid problem. I barely feel it anymore, to tell the truth. My best friend jokes that I must have a lower blood count by now with all the blood I've had drawn. I hope all goes well with yours, shnive.

Simberry Fields
A "For Sims, By Sims" City
#11 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 6:26 AM
Hopefully you won't have leukemia. My friend had a blood infection not to long ago.
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 6:30 AM
I've had to get blood drawn before, and it's no big deal. Doesn't hurt at all. It's just a little uncomfortable because of the position you have to hold your arm in. Nothing to worry about, though. The nurses are usually very nice and understanding about it too.

(Cute story, folks! Last time I was at the doctor's office getting bloodwork done, there was this sweet older fellow, probably in his late 50s, getting ready to have blood drawn, and he was pretty uncomfortable with about it, so this little girl, maybe 6 or 7 years old, comes up to him and tells him not to be scared and that it didn't hurt at all. Then she sat there and held his hand the whole time and talked to him. C'mon, folks, you know that's adorable. Sorry to get off subject!)

*glares at triplea* Yea, that's comforting. We're supposed to be reassuring here!!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 10:12 AM
I have to have blood drawn every month to check my white blood count because its always low it doesen't hurt at all I am 14 and have blood drawn since I was 3 or 4 evey month when ever they say "Its going to be like a bee sting." don't belive it to me it feels like somebody is just pinching me. Just take a deep breath and talk to the person that is drawing your blood thats what I do and it takes my mind off of when they are sticking me I bring up something like "When is your birthday?" or "What do you like to donon your day off" mabye just make up a joke look around the room look at something that catches your attention. But I always hug the nurses and they always ask me "Hey hun how are you doing my baby girl" they are so sweet but like BusterBrown said They are understanding. I remember one time ok mabye more than one time when I got dehydrated they had to use a syrenge to suck the blood out of me plus I have little veins. I like for them stick stick me in my hand mostly on the top part I hate getting it in the arm because they have to poke and poke and poke to find a vein lol but it doesen't hurt at all infact my grandmother she has Diabeities is that how you spell it and I watch how the nurses draw blood from me so I draw blood from my grandmother when she needs it done and it doesen't hurt her well she said it doesen't hurt her but the same way with shots I like getting mine in the arm just a little tip of advice: When you get a shot in the arm don't leave it straight down where its just hanging there it'll hurt the trick is hold your arm up and put your hand on your shoulder on the opposite side for example: If you get a shot in the left arm bend your arm and hold on to your right shoulder and relax it. You won't feel a thing. I give shots to my grandmother too and I told her to do that and she said "When are you going to stick me?" and I said "I am already done." lol but I am 14 now so it doesen't hurt so I have been getting blood drawn since I was 3 or 4 so thats 11 to 10 years every month of getting blood drawn.
I want to say something to triplea not to be mean or anything but mabye the nurse didn't rub alcohal or have a clean needle plus we are suppose to help and be supportive to shnive and other people not put more fear in them I'm sorry your friend had a blood infection but its not helping to shnive. I am not trying to mean I am just trying to help out here. *hugs shnive* don't worry you won't get any infections or anything else hurtful to you don't worry about it talk to yourself or just talk to the nurses strike up a conversation with them and look around and think as if you're at home imagine you are somewhere else if those others don't work ok? It doesn't hurt belive me.
Instructor
#14 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 10:17 AM
I've done tons of blood tests. For whatever reason, a doctor always says "Let's do a blood test... it can't hurt!". The only suggestion is: don't look at your arm while doing it, if seeing blood or maybe the needle in your skin makes you worrying!
#15 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 10:41 AM
Yeah, I agree with Vaalyah. Look away if you're creeped out by seeing a needle stuck in you. Other than that, it just feels like a small scratch (if you can feel it at all!). The nurses and doctors are trained to put the needle in at an angle so it doesn't hurt. I've done one on someone before myself, mwahaha.

I've had plenty in the past, my first being when I was only very ickle and I have them done about three of four times a year. I stopped using 'magic cream' to numb the area when I was about 10, heheh xD Now I'm used to it, I quite like watching the blood when they're taking it out. I have so many and they still don't know whats wrong with me! Mostly it's to do with allergies and hoping I haven't inherited my mothers autoimmune problems. Although I've had loads to see whats going on with my oestrogen levels :/

Anyway, the lumps in your neck will most probably be lymph nodes. If you have a sore throat then they might be swollen up, or if you've ever had glandular fever, you can have permenantly-enlarged ones but it doesn't cause you any bother (my friend has had this, heh) Good luck with the blood test!
Mad Poster
#16 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 10:51 AM
Hope you'll be ok. I've had once like 5 blood tests in one day. And I prefer not to look when they actually draw the blood, and if you talk to the nurse while she does it you won't notice when it's over.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 11:07 AM
I had some. It doesn't really hurt but I always get dizzy (if that's how you say it :p). I feel weak and tired all day, as well.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 12:00 PM
I used to have that problem, too, Shnive. Until I had my fifth surgery this past December. Trust me... having blood drawn is easy peasy... just wait until you have to have an epidural or spinal tap... OMG... my epidural was sooooo painful. A hundred times worse than having blood drawn, or even an IV put in. Ugh.
Banned
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 12:04 PM
Well i went at 7 IN THE MORNING!
Anyway it was fine i actually looked and was interested by the blood coming out like haylifer said.
The doctor was funny , she was sorta old and was like "were checking ya for mono eh ? What are they doing that now! Doesnt your school do that!" I was like no "Well youve slept in for a couple weeks so its better up early."
So she said basically it was checking for mono.
Thank god. It was more of a pinch than i expected though but meh i was fine. When i go to the doctors i dont want to embarrass myself so i just stay still.
Who else goes!?

Enchanted: Holy bumm ! I cant do iv's they stick them in to your veins at your wrist and that part freaks me out my touching them ahhhh
Test Subject
#20 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 2:45 PM
Eh, to those people who say "just don't look what they're doing." Just be sure to know where you're going to look. Last time I had a blood test, I looked to the left, and there was cups labeled "Urine Samples."
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by danishani2
I have to have blood drawn every month to check my white blood count because its always low it doesen't hurt at all I am 14 and have blood drawn since I was 3 or 4 evey month when ever they say "Its going to be like a bee sting."

um HOW is that supposed to be reassuring? everyone hates bees. you couldn't pay me enough to get stung by one.
#22 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 9:58 PM
I don't like getting blood drawn only because unlike other people my veins are hard to find (usually they never find them and I end up not given any blood). The last time I was suppose to get blood drawn they couldn't find a vein and I ended up not given any blood and decided there was no use going in the next morning. I always have this problem and I have not given much blood for blood tests ever.

I'm glad yours went ok though!
#23 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 10:04 PM
My veins are hard to find too. I always have to end up getting stick 4 or 5 times. What gets me is when they move the needle around in your skin. Eh, I bet this isn't helping. That reminds me, I have to get my blood drawn tomorrow morning. I can't eat anything past midnight tonight.
Test Subject
#24 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 10:13 PM
I'm such a baby .

I used to enjoy watching the needles work on my skin and all that jazz.
But I got one in the bootie once, and they just stabbed away, a major smack of the needle. And no one held my arm during the blood taking process stuff so I had to go through it half way, and then again the whole way. The clinic sucked. Since then, I cry when I have to get shots... it's pathetic.

But I can say that it hurts a lot less when they hold your arm down.
Plus, it really stinks when they make you sit there for an hour with the rubber tie on your arm... my arm went purple; they had forgotten me in that room. Needless to say my mother did a lot of yelling that day ^.^.