Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 10:00 PM
Default Your first job...
Here is Dane's Cook on his first job.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Md2i6MWD4I

Anyway, my first job was when I was 18. I worked at a department store. Not bad but I do have some stories.
Advertisement
#2 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 10:10 PM
Haha mine was at a department store as well. I worked at Macy's. Omg never again!
Test Subject
#3 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 10:13 PM
I work as a babysitter for my neighbors. And I guess you could also say that I am part of an auditorium technical staff at school. Meaning I do sound and lights for the plays and concerts. Its really fun but I have not got paid at the middle school level. Now its all different cause I'm going to high school and they pay I think. :P
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 10:25 PM
My first job was driving cars. Not bad for a first job a good way to earn some pocketmoney.
Test Subject
#5 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 10:26 PM
I wanted to work at Borders but I'm not "old enough" for their stores.

I'm more qualified as a person (without any work experience) than some of the people work at their stores. The manager didn't even manage to call me back after I left my number at their store as to when I could meet them. The woman whom I left my number with didn't even know when the manager would come back from her lunch break... idiots.
Instructor
#6 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 10:52 PM
Besides babysitting and cafeteria duty at school, my first job was McDonalds.
I was really shy so they let me be one of the back line boys. It was a fun first job.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 11:11 PM
My first job was delievering newspapers at age 13. A nice job, but I hated getting out of bed at 5 am.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 11:52 PM
Oh good grief, to do that to Edo-kun...

My first job is my current job, after nine years I'm still working in my university's computer labs. At least I've been promoted to site supervisor now. (Yes, I'm on the long, long plan...) It's gonna be so hard when I graduate and have to get a real job, this one pays me well for doing nothing 90% of the time.

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
Scholar
#9 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:08 AM
Job? What is this job thing you speak of?
#10 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:09 AM
I second Black_Barook! :D

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.
Scholar
#11 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:15 AM
WOOHOO for rich people! No really, I have needs, and I can't wait for marriage here...

Nice video by the way...
#12 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyJade6480
Well, if we're being technical, my "first" job was being a booker for Glamour Shots at a local mall. I was out sick for about 10 days (job lasted maybe 2 weeks), and when I got back, there was no one and nothing there. They literally packed up and left in the night!

That is really weird they would do that! They're a big store chain, too! Hmm.

Quote: Originally posted by LadyJade6480
My first "real" job was working at a convenience store called E-Z Serve (no jokes, please). That lasted 10 months, and I had about 2 different managers that despised me for some reason. One told me I needed to go pay her cable bill or I'd have to do a double shift! :wtf2:

You've just had a horrible first-time job experience, haven't you? And I thought working at Macy's was bad.
Test Subject
#13 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:18 AM
I have a question!
When do you think someone is 'too young' to work at a job in a store where the merchandise is not dangerous or scandalous?
#14 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:23 AM
What do you mean? Like when the merchandise is guns or a place like an adult toy store? I think they would need to be over 18.
Test Subject
#15 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:26 AM
Im saying that in order to work at a place where it's SAFE.
Why would someone need to be over 18? 15, 16, and 17-year olds need work too!! They want money and something productive to do. And it's legal, it's just the stores itself that are saying they can't work.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Barook!
Job? What is this job thing you speak of?

My thoughts exactly. LOL. Well I do babysit this 2 year old during the week, and its steady, so I guess that is considered a job. But not really. LOL.
#17 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lustyforlife
Im saying that in order to work at a place where it's SAFE.
Why would someone need to be over 18? 15, 16, and 17-year olds need work too!! They want money and something productive to do. And it's legal, it's just the stores itself that are saying they can't work.

Sorry! I just didn't understand your question, is all. I know teens have to work, too. I don't know what you mean by dangerous or scandalous. IMO, I don't think I would want my child to even work in that sort of environment.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lustyforlife
I have a question!
When do you think someone is 'too young' to work at a job in a store where the merchandise is not dangerous or scandalous?

I think that under 16 may be considered too young. Then again, there are "child labor laws" that regulate those that are under 18--and some employers may not want to deal with that when creating work schedules. And in other cases, it's not the merchandise that is the issue, it is the location/customers/times worked.
retired moderator
#19 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:46 AM
My first job was a bag-girl at a grocery store. Good Lord, if I had a dollar for every time a customer bitched about a 7 cent price difference on a bag of shredded cheese...

Formerly known as boolPropped
Field Researcher
#20 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 2:49 AM
Well, I know the summers I worked at the bakery the youngsters drove me nuts. Because the rest of us (primarily me because I was the youngest over 18) wound up pulling a lot of extra simply due to the fact that the kids (sorry) weren't legally allowed to even touch a bunch of the equipment, and absolutely could NOT work longer than their scheduled shift. As it wasn't unusual for closers to wind up going a half hour and more over, that meant I was always stuck on closing, a very stressful shift (this was a bakery IN a grocery store, that 'closed' before the rest of the store, but we had to keep serving customers the whole time we were cleaning). I actually had one night the boss sent me home 'cause I broke down crying behind the counter from the stress (this was after a major storm, and much of the area didn't get power restored for several days, we were using a hand pump and oil lamps at home, it was also nearly an hour after my 8 hour shift should have ended).

So I'm afraid I can perfectly understand a reluctance to hire those who are so restricted in what they can legally do. Under 18s aren't even allowed to put the trash in the compactor! Never mind activating one. I also saw a much higher turnover rate and lesser reliability among the younger workers. Not saying everyone's bad, just that employers are likely to follow the "once bitten, twice shy" philosophy. It only takes one screw-up to ruin it for everybody.

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
Forum Resident
#21 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 3:44 AM
ha... i worked at a small amusement park... the horror, the HORROR! the first weeks that we are open during the week, its only for schools that book for their classes to come at the end of the school year... we called it hell week. those kids were little snots. as for after that, it wasn't so bad during the week, but on the weekends it was lovely. i worked full time and usually pulled double shifts because we weren't open Mondays and i didn't work Sundays, so I worked from 11am to 1am. I quit right before the 4th cause I seriously didn't think i could deal with thousands of people that would show up for the fireworks.... I work at Target now... running the photo lab... its wonderful... :D

~*I'm a she*~
The Booty calls to you, you cannot resist it
I use Target and Kodak Gallery for my pictures, you should too... :D
My MTS2|Livejournal|Yearbook|Facebook
Field Researcher
#22 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 3:47 AM
My first job was being a student and i'm still a student . Sometimes my parents gives me money for cleaning my room or getting high grades on my exams...
#23 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 3:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by punkd20
My first job was being a student and i'm still a student . Sometimes my parents gives me money for cleaning my room or getting high grades on my exams...

Yeah, my first job was making my bed, or cleaning my room (which I never do). Come to think of it, I never got any money for it, just a good job. Same thing with exams. They were like, "Yeah good job, now do the dishes."

Life isn't fair.
Test Subject
#24 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 4:05 AM
But I'm talking about Borders and Barnes and Nobles. I'd just have to work normal not extreme hours, but they wont let me because I'm "too young" So ridiculous they dont hire anyone under 17.
Scholar
#25 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 4:09 AM
Aside from babysitting, which I think everyone did, my first real job was a hostess at a cheesy 50's themed restaurant. Lots of Marilyn and Elvis everywhere :P

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Page 1 of 3