Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#76 Old 16th Apr 2007 at 8:25 AM
Is this the next logical step from making floors and walls? I think I vaguely remember reading somewhere that clothing was the next step, but it just doesn't interest me. Bedding on the other hand I wouldn't mind giving a go 'cause I never know who created what when I'm doing a lot for upload.

I just want to be sure I'm not jumping too far ahead of myself. I dove into the deep end in a few months back and after making a series of uber ugly tables decided I needed to actually follow the sage advice given here at MTS2 and take it slowly. Plus I need to walk away from walls and floors for awhile (I've actually had dreams about them) and today I find myself with a whole day of nothing but laundry required of me!

So, this looks more challenging than photo studio and a step in the right direction for recoloring say... counters maybe?

Thanks in advance and sorry for rambling. I tend to get too wordy jumping from one thought to the next when I'm typing.

"Evil genius is still genius." Asura NPC GW2
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#77 Old 16th Apr 2007 at 9:13 AM
You don't definitely have to follow a set path, they are just suggestions on what might be a good way to proceed in creating. Recoloring objects can as well be the next step after you've tried recoloring walls and floors. I think I started directly with object recoloring before trying walls, floors or clothing. Recoloring counters isn't that much more complicated than recoloring bedding, the only main difference is that with counters there is both a clean and dirty texture.
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#78 Old 16th Apr 2007 at 9:17 AM
Ok, thank you. I'm just trying to follow a path that will lead me to where I eventually want to go. I'd hate to start down one path only to learn I should have gone down an entirely different one. I'm all for learning, but when your time is limited it pays to set yourself in the right direction to begin with.

With any luck all will go smoothly and I won't need to make a pest of myself.

Thanks again.

Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#79 Old 17th Apr 2007 at 9:07 PM
Default A little more help
Yay, I did it! And it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would... though it isn't great yet. I'll clean it up here and there and somehow give it a velvety texture like it's supposed to have... but, it's crunchy!! I've noticed both the templates as well as what's exported from Maxis has the same crunchiness in the same places! Though I think I can remedy this myself.

My question is about the seam on the single bed on the sheet area. The duvet didn't make one so why does the solid colored sheet have a seam? I did quickly scan this thread, but it's getting kinda long. It's late and I was just really excited I recolored my first object and got it into the game!

Thanks!
Screenshots

Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#80 Old 17th Apr 2007 at 10:51 PM
JLonier - I don't know, I suggest grabbing a game texture (and also checking it in game). Maybe one of the templates was a bit off. It's been... over a year since I did a lot of recoloring of bedding and first worked out my textures.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#81 Old 17th Apr 2007 at 11:06 PM
Ok. I did check it in game which is the screen shot I posted. I guess I should have come more directly to the point when I asked why am I getting a seam on only the sheet area?

Inventor
#82 Old 18th Apr 2007 at 3:27 AM
JLonier, it looks like where the sheet meets is merely a slightly different brightness.. maybe blending a bit of the brightness will blend the sheet where it meets the other side?

I get that problem alot when it comes to the single beds..
Best to ya!
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 18th Apr 2007 at 4:53 PM
JLonier I saw the screen of *your bed*. I was suggesting looking at the maxis made game beddings and then going and getting a texture from one of them that *does not have the problem* and using that to patch yours.

Or you could carefully grab and cut and paste the top segment with the lower part of the bed, instead of using the one the template provided.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#84 Old 18th Apr 2007 at 6:39 PM Last edited by JLonier : 18th Apr 2007 at 7:03 PM.
Oh, well that makes entirely more sense tiggerypum. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

This is entirely new to me and until this morning I didn't even realize you could select the different Maxis beddings in SimPE. Sorry to be a bother.

Test Subject
#85 Old 22nd Apr 2007 at 4:48 PM
tiggerypum thanks for this thread made my 1st bedding which im really pleased about, still got some problems to sort out with them but now I know what to do thank you!
Test Subject
#86 Old 22nd Apr 2007 at 6:12 PM
Hi, Im still messing around but having some problems. Still getting visable lines
on the single beds and i'm not sure how to fix them, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshots
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 22nd Apr 2007 at 11:54 PM
Puscifer1980, you're close but not quite getting the right spot. Copy the LIGHT yellow part of the bed, making sure to go exactly to the right hand edge of it - because that's the seam. Line up the right hand edge of your copied piece with the right hand edge of the single bed area (red).

So on the penguin bed, you should get 2 penguins on the twin bed, I think. If part of the left-most penguin shows on your cut and paste, then go edit it to make that little bit green instead.

On the asian bed, you might get a little bit of the lettering - if you do, I would suggest again that you edit it off of the single bed using a clone brush or whatever method you can to put some of the backgroun there instead.

Now my experience with these templates (which I didn't make) is that they are a couple of pixels off - so when you get your bed into the game, you'll see that the seam doesn't match up perfectly. Try moving your single bed section 2-3 pixels over towards the left to get a perfect match in game. (it's been a while since I made a bed)

Test Subject
#88 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 5:10 PM
Thanks for the advice Tiggerypum I will get there eventually, the seam lines are not as visable now once I figure out the designs properly for alignment I will be ok will practice till I get it
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 27th May 2007 at 1:14 PM
Just wanted to say thank you, ever so much! Every time I make bedding I have to refer to your tutorial or I just confuse myself, it has been invaluable to me.
Test Subject
#90 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 10:49 AM
A great tutorial. Thanks for it.
Well, I have got one problem. I followed your tutorial step by step, as well as the one of Numenor, but I cannot change the bedding. I export the Maxis one, create a file of it. Now, shall I edit and overwrite it or shall I create the new file?
Is it possible to replace the Maxis bedding with a new one in bmp format?

Sorry you have to answer such a trivial question but I did my best to find out where the problem was and had no idea. I am not experienced in SimPE and althou I am enthusiastic enough, every beginning is hard.
So thanks in advance.
Part-time Hermit
#91 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 11:57 AM
You can save over the original image OR create a new file. As long as the dimensions of the image are correct, and it's either in BMP or PNG format, you can import any image. PNG is recommended over BMP, though, because it supports alpha channels (transparency).
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 14th Jul 2007 at 3:57 AM
Ugh! I wish I had seen this tutorial before I tried my first recolor! The full-size looks really nice, but the twin... um, yeah. Anyway, thanks for the valuable info!
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 14th Jul 2007 at 9:10 PM
Thnx Ty.

have a pint

When you jump on your way down why do you ask yourself why did you jump?
Sometimes the quote 'think before you leap' comes in handy at that point
If you happen to see me down there you'll know I wasn't following my advice
Then we all know what happens...SPLAT!
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 3:20 AM
Hi

First off I would like to thank Tiggerypum for the fab template for the bedding.

I have been making bedding with it for quite some time but still the single was a little off and needed tweaks. I know...lol my eyesight!

I decided to go grab the single bed mesh in studio max so I could see exactly where the lines started and ended for which I did a texport screen.

So I have this now on my site and its very useful to use as a new layer in conjunction with your template.

I had to zoom in close to see the exact edge of the mesh lines with the grid in photoshop but the bedding came out perfect.

Obviously the maxis texture covers the double bedding too and this just maps out the single so you can see where it lies on the texture.

Hope you find it useful too.

Hugs
Mummysim

Link is here: http://simsdivine.com/home2/index.php?topic=47.0
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 9:20 AM
Thank you I wrote the tutorial working off templates that were already on site, and I know I made it a habit of nudging the edge over a few pixels to get a perfect single bed. I guess as this was my first tutorial, I didn't think to make yet another template.

Lab Assistant
#96 Old 29th Oct 2007 at 11:01 AM
Hi! Thankyou for making this tutorial! It's so nice to know that whenever I want to try something new, there is always a tutorial for it over here.

Now for my problem; I usually make everything in five colors. I start out with one, and after I'm done making my recoloring I go back and just change the hue of the texture image. If I input the number 72 in the hue changer (photoshop) I get five nice colors and then get back to where I started. =)

However, I found that if I do the same with the bedding, and just chose "save as" in SimPE, the package files will overwrite each other in the game. Is there an easy way around this? Like a number somewhere that needs changing?

I can just make a new project for each color, but it takes a little more time...
Wiki Wizard
#97 Old 24th Mar 2008 at 10:28 AM
This is uber usefulThanks

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Test Subject
#98 Old 9th Jun 2008 at 2:26 PM
Default Rgile template problem
Thanks for that useful tutorial !

I tried to aplly your method for the first time with Rgile template. And it appears that the red part is larger than the light yellow one : 180 pixels and 172 pixels.

So, when I copy the "light yellow part" to past it on the red one, there's au gap on both sides of the single bed left part. It's the same for the sheet.

Are those gaps normal ? (see red arrows on image under)

Test Subject
#99 Old 6th Jul 2008 at 3:28 PM Last edited by Schaapje82 : 6th Jul 2008 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Update in information
To those who will find this useful:
I edited one of the templates to get the precise location of the seam between the left en right part of the single bed. As you can see on the screenshots with the crosses, the seam wasn't quite where the colored parts ended. I edited the template to correct this, so that making the seams seamless should be easier.

I packed a PSP and a Photoshop template file.

Edit: After testing another bedsheet I still saw a seam, will be working on this, will update later.

Edit2: Repacked the template, should be alright now.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  templates2.rar (687.2 KB, 49 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#100 Old 12th Jul 2008 at 7:16 AM
Default HELp
this makes alot of sense but i tried the tutorial and i didnt quite understand it and i dont understand how you did this
Page 4 of 5