Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#1901 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 10:23 AM
Yeah that pretty much sums up how I organized everything too. I love spreadsheets.

You can make up any challenge you can think of any way you can put sims against each other and have a winner/ranking works. Endurance challenges, skill challenges, fights to the death.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#1902 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
Yeah that pretty much sums up how I organized everything too. I love spreadsheets.

You can make up any challenge you can think of any way you can put sims against each other and have a winner/ranking works. Endurance challenges, skill challenges, fights to the death.

Quote: Originally posted by VioletPadfoot
Since I stole her idea, I'll answer.

As to how I'm handling things, I set up a spreadsheet ( I swear I use them for tracking everything in this challenge) with two pages. The first is the teens on the teen lot this round, and keeps track of how they finished in the challenges, ranked from 1st to how ever many sims are on the lot. Once all the challenges are over, they'll be assigned a total rank, based on how they did overall. The boy with the best score is paired up with the girl with the best score, continuing down the line until all sims of one gender are paired off. The remaining sims have their score transferred over to the second sheet, and will be used for the spares in future groupings (again going in order of score, but paring off the oldest sims first.) The only way a sim is not paired with a sim of the opposite gender that has the best score is if they are related. For instance, my current leaders for each gender are siblings. In that case, they marry the sim with the second best score. I'm fairly certain I had something more to this, but seeing as I've been obsessing over my Prosperity Challenge 'hood, and not my ToT one lately, I can't quite remember all my details.~VP

Thanks! <3 I tried going back and look for that post, but somehow I missed it.

Check out my ToT neighborhood Hoohoo. Last updated: February 2, 2020
Family Trees
Field Researcher
#1903 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LauriMizutani
Well, I managed the last rotation easily enough. But all the organization needed to get the hood ready for the Roman Era took a bit longer. However, now I have things sorted and ready to play. The rest of the post is just a summary of how things played out and what changes I'm incorporating, so don't feel like you have to read it if you aren't interested. Well, long story short, I've got things set up and ready to play.

Welcome to the Roman Age. I think one of the most interesting things about this challenge is the transition to new ages. I found these times to be highly creative as you build new lots, customize their clothing and home decor and imagine how the rules will be for your own game. I can't wait to see how things progress now that your Sims are Romans. :lovestruc

I couldn't stay away from my Sims, they help my creative side come out! Taking a break from my RV life to take care of family issues, so Sims helps me to unwind. Let me know what you are up to with your Sims so I can check it out!
Field Researcher
#1904 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 2:13 PM
Pairing Sims -
I like the idea of creating special lots to match up the Sims. With over 150 Sims getting ready to transition to the next age I thought I would set up several lots and then do a kind of Bachelor show type challenge. I am finishing my Dark Ages and cheating to age everyone to teen or adults (since it took 3 months to do the last 5 day round) and I am imagining in the game that the King sent out a decree that all single women had to come to live in some villages he built. The serf's daughters will be housed on one lot, the baron's daughter's on another, and the duke's and king's daughter's on a third lot. Once there are 7 ladies on the lot, the King will send for the young men. He will send each one to a village that matches their rank. Then I will wait one day to see how the chemistry works out.

In the game story, this action of the King's has angered the father's of these young women since it has taken away their rights to arrange their daughter's marriages and the father's of the young men are mad because they don't get any dowry. The kings' actions will lead to a sort of revolution where each duke will declare himself king of his own lands. (England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Romania, and Turkey), so when I start the High Middle Ages there will be more monarchies that will follow that set of the renaissance rules.

I love this challenge!!!!

I couldn't stay away from my Sims, they help my creative side come out! Taking a break from my RV life to take care of family issues, so Sims helps me to unwind. Let me know what you are up to with your Sims so I can check it out!
Field Researcher
#1905 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 2:50 PM
Want to see a fun medieval video made using Sims 2? I didn't make it but I really enjoyed seeing how the artist used custom content and the movie making of Sims to create a story. It is inspiring me to decorate more in my lots and to think about the stories that old medieval ballads tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYH_1YBuKJ8

Instructor
#1906 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 5:03 PM
I'm still playing this challenge and I like it - but I've found I don't like blogging about it. So I'll keep playing and forget about taking pictures and blogging and just report every now and then about my progress here.
Instructor
#1907 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 4:52 AM
cespencer your idea seems so interesting It would be really fun to have different monarchies in the same hood but all those sims? Its times like these when I'm glad I kill so many sims.

Lab Assistant
#1908 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 6:59 PM Last edited by LauriMizutani : 14th Apr 2014 at 7:02 PM. Reason: Needed to fix smilies
Quote: Originally posted by cespencer7
I can't wait to see how things progress now that your Sims are Romans. :lovestruc
Well so far, LOTS of cheating.
Lab Assistant
#1909 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 7:56 AM
I started the challenge again. You can view the "intro" here .

Family Trees
Field Researcher
#1910 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lisrouge
I started the challenge again. You can view the "intro" here .

I like the idea to follow the female line in the Neanderthal time period.

Check out my Apocalypse Challenge attempt @ ditzyekko.blogspot.com
Field Researcher
#1911 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 9:17 PM
Realistic sickness has stuck my people again. This time killing the heir to the throne & the Emperor within minutes of each other. Also my 3rd generation Romans are aging up. I'm using the imperial family (Princess Lais) as the standard and she just became a child. Almost time to switch gears again!

#longliveEmperorLycaon

Lab Assistant
#1912 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DitzyEkko
I like the idea to follow the female line in the Neanderthal time period.

Yeah, then when they start accumulating wealth, the men will get greedy and "rebel" against the women. Incensed by a stranger from a far away clan who married into one of the clans in Mandu. Since those were his ways.

I'm wondering if I should make the males get new last names.(Maybe I should have started my clans with just one letter, like you did.) Then the children could decide whether they want to keep their mother's last name and try to hold on to their ways, I see most of the females doing this, maybe, or if they want to embrace their father's, sort of, prehistoric coup d'etat...lol

Quote: Originally posted by DitzyEkko
Realistic sickness has stuck my people again. This time killing the heir to the throne & the Emperor within minutes of each other. Also my 3rd generation Romans are aging up. I'm using the imperial family (Princess Lais) as the standard and she just became a child. Almost time to switch gears again!

#longliveEmperorLycaon

How many sims do you have left in your neighborhood? Every time I read your updates everyone is dying.

I'm going to install realistic sickness in the last round of Roman times. I'm wondering whether it will even work since my Sims never get sick. I've tried to make them sick...a lot. Maybe once they start going to work and mingle with the work townies...?

Family Trees
Field Researcher
#1913 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 6:55 PM
Quote:
How many sims do you have left in your neighborhood? Every time I read your updates everyone is dying.

I'm going to install realistic sickness in the last round of Roman times. I'm wondering whether it will even work since my Sims never get sick. I've tried to make them sick...a lot. Maybe once they start going to work and mingle with the work townies...?

I don't have a whole lot. Guess I need to do another census at the end of this round. I actually didn't even execute anyone this last round because I couldn't really spare a slave.

The Imperial family is down to 4 (widowed elder Dowager Empress Daphne, her son Emperor Lycaon, Lycaon's wife Empress Alala, and young orphaned Princess Lais)
My 2 Duchies have 5 sims total: in the Vatinus family (Grand Duke Palaemon, his wife, and two children), and only twice-widowed elder Grand Duke Stephanos Quirinius in his family.
The 3 Patrician families are booming (in comparison)
The Slaves are dwindling. Mostly teens and younger. I will be pairing them off and breeding like crazy this generation.

Realistic Sickness is INTENSE. I believe it adds an element of realness since Neanderthals and Romans should not be without illness deaths in great numbers. But it can be disheartening to lose so many and sometimes they are your favs. The sickness will happen. All it takes in a trashcan kicked over and they are coughing all over the place. Then just greeting a sick sim will spread it. I have sims throw parties (if rich) or just invite friends over every Sunday. That helps spread disease.

Lab Assistant
#1914 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 8:51 PM
That's really not a whole lot.

Now that you mention the trash can, I think I have something which prevents Sims from kicking it.

Family Trees
Lab Assistant
#1915 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 10:46 PM
Oh no! I added some fantasy skin tones for fun, and now one of my patrician families has a blue baby (both parents were normal). I'm not sure how to deal with this in the story. Ideas please!
Forum Resident
#1916 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by oboesapien
Oh no! I added some fantasy skin tones for fun, and now one of my patrician families has a blue baby (both parents were normal). I'm not sure how to deal with this in the story. Ideas please!

Perhaps the fae came the day/night of the birth, messing with the parent's minds long enough to switch the baby with one of their own. Or perhaps the child could be a 'Chosen One", blessed by some higher power to accomplish a certain task... I dunno. lol

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Test Subject
#1917 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 11:43 PM
I started this challenge a few days ago, and I can already say that the neandertal-period is one of the most stressful times I ever had in the Sims, mainly because of the tons of babys. Luckily this round most of the first children will age into teens. I hope I'll get through till the roman age, already had to reload twice because the social worker came, and I think two children have been taken away anyway.
Also a male and a female from different couples died from heat, so I married the spare parents and have only four families at the moment. I guess I'll loosen the rules up a bit in the second generation, giving the females a few days break from pregnancy, so I won't have that many toddlers and babies at the same time anymore.
Whatever, this challenge is really a change from the ordinary, and I'm really looking forward to the later ages. Already started to decorate sub-hoods for the different ages.
Lab Assistant
#1918 Old 26th Apr 2014 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by oboesapien

Quote: Originally posted by Roseblossom90
Perhaps the fae came the day/night of the birth, messing with the parent's minds long enough to switch the baby with one of their own.

I was going to suggest the changeling idea too.

Good luck CapraScriba!

Family Trees
Field Researcher
#1919 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 5:46 AM
I just did a full census. Man am I wiped out!

http://ditzyekko.blogspot.com/2014/...ensus-info.html

Census info at the bottom!

Hard to believe that realistic sickness has brought me down to less than 100 sims in the neighborhood. Some families dropping like flies...

Lab Assistant
#1920 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 9:08 AM
@ditzyekko: Your dowager empress Daphne in your crypt is sooo pretty!

There has been a heatstroke epidemic going on in my 'hood!

In my latest round, at my kidnapper camp (Where admittedly, life is harder) TWO teen sims died within five days. The one definitely died of heatstroke (he was just sleeping in his bed, and it cooked him like an oven apparently) and the other one... I can only assume it was heat stroke? I have no idea why he died. I was busy celebrating Trella's birthday/engagement to the kidnap-camp-leader Tyron Whitman so I wasn't paying attention, but then I saw the Grim Reaper and I was like, "WHAT?!" So now ALL of the boys who have come to that camp have died in their teens. But Tyron and Trella had their own son (gotta carry on the family name!) who they named Jali, after her brother who died the night they got engaged from a heat stroke... so... it has been a crazy week for my Sims, lol.

I guess that solves my issue of whether or not I would allow the kidnapped boys to marry/carry on the gene pool/rejoin society as adults. Although I'm thinking I was leaning toward no anyway, so it's probably more pragmatic for them to die, except their ghosts keep scaring people. Eventually I'll probably have to move them to the cemetery.
Screenshots

The Test of Time Challenge BLOG
Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Test Subject
#1921 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 1:10 PM
Okay, I just installed Seasons, so I'm going to start the challenge myself next Friday )
I think the Neanderthal Simolean restriction (3000$) is a bit.. "skinny", but the simmies'll work it out ^_^
Field Researcher
#1922 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 2:47 PM
After two and a half years of playing this challenge, I am sad to share that my hard drive died. Thankfully, I have been using spreadsheets like many of you and I blog to document my families. So I need to rebuild all my homes and each family. My advice to you if you love your Sims is to be sure your back up files are in Dropbox or on an external thumb drive. I had backed up to my desktop in case my main files got corrupted. I never planned for a hard drive failure.

Due to this, I may not be posting updates for awhile while I rebuild 40 families and their homes. I will check in to see your updates though. Thanks for all your support (whimpering quietly in the fetal position)

Lab Assistant
#1923 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cespencer7
After two and a half years of playing this challenge, I am sad to share that my hard drive died. Thankfully, I have been using spreadsheets like many of you and I blog to document my families. So I need to rebuild all my homes and each family. My advice to you if you love your Sims is to be sure your back up files are in Dropbox or on an external thumb drive. I had backed up to my desktop in case my main files got corrupted. I never planned for a hard drive failure.

Due to this, I may not be posting updates for awhile while I rebuild 40 families and their homes. I will check in to see your updates though. Thanks for all your support (whimpering quietly in the fetal position)

Oh no! That's awful!! I hate when that happens I haven't backed mine up in a few months, I probably should do it again after I finish this next round. Blogging it makes it so much easier to keep track of. It's already taking a lot longer to go through rounds and I'm still in Neanderthal!
That really sucks that happened!

@Sepherane: I thought the same thing, and actually, I didn't start at $3,000 personally. I left it at the $20,000 or whatever it is that you get when you start a 2 Sim family, and then allowed them to build whatever they could with that--and by the time they flatten the land and build a pond and a shack and plant a few trees (one house budgeted poorly and could only buy one fruit tree) and some dirt plots, a composted, and the bare minimum furniture you're allowed to have, the money is gone. Technically at that point you COULD go out to the main screen and do the family funds cheat so that your lot is only worth $3,000, but honestly, when I started this challenge, I didn't know how to do that, lol. Now that I do, it's something I could have done, but they all started out with the same amount so I'm not that worried about it Plus, at least one of your families is probably gonna get a genie anyway.

The Test of Time Challenge BLOG
Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Instructor
#1924 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 1:22 AM
That's terrible cespencer . Good luck with your rebuild.

@Sepherane: I think most of us played with having the sims start with 3000 after they moved into there house. I know I did and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one.

Inventor
#1925 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 12:29 PM
@cespencer: Oh no! Losing your game due to computer failure sucks, as I have reason to know. That's the reason I started over. I didn't have much record, aside from notes jotted in a notebook, and couldn't stand re-creating form what i could piece out of that. I did just back op my game, but should probably plug my external hard drive in and move the rar folder over there...

@Sepherane: i built a lot for my sims, then plopped down five copies of it, moved my sims in and then used family funds to lower any remaining funds down to 3000. But don't worry, once they start getting decent talent badges, they make ALOT of money gardening. Even with BoilingOil's mods that lower the prices stuff sells for... And that's with me not even selling everything they grow. My sims sell half their current vegetable supply, aside from the last 20 pieces of every different kind, and all fish except 10 Bass (unless they're one of the lucky few that can cook catfish, then they keep that too) at the end of every round. Keeping some of the fish mostly keeps them from starvation, though not always. Kelsi Colson managed to die from it, and the rest of that family barely made it until her son became a teen and was able to cook the fish in his inventory.

Speaking of end of rounds, I should get myself back into my game. I started this round four months ago (right after Christmas) and I still have two days (and two lots) left to play. I guess that's what I get for getting distracted by other challenges. Maybe I'll have more time to play after next week. For the first time in 10 years, I shall be unemployed. Well not exactly since I have the entirety of May as paid vacation, but after that I'll be unemployed. But only b/c I'm moving at the end of May. That might stop me from playing for a couple of weeks, so I plan to get though as much as I can by then. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Page 77 of 128