Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2017 at 11:24 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Problems with installing a custom Sub-hood on Windows 7 in my TS2 UC
Hello everyone!

I'm not entierly sure if I got my question in the right place but I hope it's okay, I did my best.

To start with my problem: I'm on my Uberhood Project and I found the clean templates for all the mainhoods from meetme2theriver (http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html) and wanted to merge them together because they're awesome I already tried out the clean templates for the main neighborhoods and so far it's no problem at all.
It begins when I try to install/locate the subhoods. I know it's kinda dumb but what does she mean with "-INSTALL LOCATION-"? I think I tried everything:
-I made subfolders in EAgames/Sims 2 Ultimate Collection for downtowns and shopping districts (separate of course and how she explained the path)
-I made a subfolder in the neighborhood with which I wanted to start the Uberhood
-I put them all in subfolders in EAgame/TheSims2 I have (I don't know exactly why I have this additionally to the Sims 2 Ultimate collection folder)
they just won't show up. Do I have to do something more? Did I do something wrong?
(I installed the recommended mod from mootilda to fix the subhood selection.)

I hope there is someone out here to help me and I'm also hoping that my question is not utterly stupid - but it definitly could be and I just can't see the woods for the trees.

PS: I'm totally willing to answer questions for my folders haha so I can get this to work!
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 12:01 AM
The install location is wherever you told the game installer to, well, install the game. If you didn't change it, it'll be C:/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection (or something like that).

If you can't find it, just open Origin and go Origin (top menu) -> Application Settings, then look in the "Installs & Saves" tab, under "Game Library Location" - that'll tell you where to look.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 12:52 AM
Subhoods, you see, have to be available as templates in the game program files before they can be attached to the neighborhoods in the data files. Just like Downtown, Bluewater Village, and the three Maxis universities, they'll be available to attach to every neighborhood in your Neighborhood folder. You could even attach a Strangehood subhood to Strangetown if you wanted to (I've seen it done), rendering the place Even Stranger.

In the disk version, each EP had its own subfolder in the game program files, and you had to put them in the correct subfolder inside the EP subfolder: Universities in EP1, Downtowns in EP2, business districts in EP3, etc. This setup is probably different in the UC, but if you find a Neighborhood Templates folder containing B001 (Bluewater Village) you're in the right place for the subhood versions of the Maxis neighborhoods.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 6:07 AM
Program files (x86) - Origin Games - The Sims Ultimate Collection - BestofBusiness - EP3 - TSData - Res - Neighbourhood template - add it here (the business hoods, not the main ones).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 2:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Subhoods, you see, have to be available as templates in the game program files before they can be attached to the neighborhoods in the data files. Just like Downtown, Bluewater Village, and the three Maxis universities, they'll be available to attach to every neighborhood in your Neighborhood folder. You could even attach a Strangehood subhood to Strangetown if you wanted to (I've seen it done), rendering the place Even Stranger.

In the disk version, each EP had its own subfolder in the game program files, and you had to put them in the correct subfolder inside the EP subfolder: Universities in EP1, Downtowns in EP2, business districts in EP3, etc. This setup is probably different in the UC, but if you find a Neighborhood Templates folder containing B001 (Bluewater Village) you're in the right place for the subhood versions of the Maxis neighborhoods.

Okay, I guess that makes sense but I can't find a NeighborhoodTemplate folder in my subfolders which is a bit strange. I searched them through.
I try to make my own path so the game can use it but I have troubles to correctly locate and name them.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 2:39 PM
Did you try telling the machine to search for B001? That should take you straight there.

It can be hard to remember all the subfolders, as they're buried pretty deep, but if you drill down far enough it has to be there if your game's properly installed.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 3:42 PM
Annaac, I think you should follow Justpetro's advice (post #4 above).

She has the Ultimate Collection (and never seems to have any problems with it!). So she can just look at her own game and see where shopping district templates are. Peni and I use disks, so we can't .

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Jul 2017 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Program files (x86) - Origin Games - The Sims Ultimate Collection - BestofBusiness - EP3 - TSData - Res - Neighbourhood template - add it here (the business hoods, not the main ones).

Hey, I actually tried that yesterday but it still won't work. Do I have to put the .packages files from the neighborhood in the downloads folder additionally to install them?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 14th Jul 2017 at 7:00 PM
No, unless the neighborhood is packaged with custom content (and Tarlia's aren't) all you do is unzip the file, drop the neighborhood folder in the correct place, and load the game.

However - there is a problem with the way the browser for adding subhoods is set up, as apparently the developers never considered the possibility that anyone would want to/figure out how to make a new subhood except by hitting the "build new subhood" button in that browser, with the result that most of us can't reach (and in many cases can't see) the fan-made subhoods to add them to a main hood. So perhaps this is your problem.

The late great Mootilda created a fix for this, which is located here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=420924

If you already have this, or you add it and still can't add Tarlia's hoods, come back and tell us, preferably with screenshots, what you do and what you see and we'll try to spot what's going on looking over your shoulder.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Jul 2017 at 7:56 PM
Yes, I think Peni may have solved it - I did not think about the mod, but it is essential for subhoods to work.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
No, unless the neighborhood is packaged with custom content (and Tarlia's aren't) all you do is unzip the file, drop the neighborhood folder in the correct place, and load the game.

However - there is a problem with the way the browser for adding subhoods is set up, as apparently the developers never considered the possibility that anyone would want to/figure out how to make a new subhood except by hitting the "build new subhood" button in that browser, with the result that most of us can't reach (and in many cases can't see) the fan-made subhoods to add them to a main hood. So perhaps this is your problem.

The late great Mootilda created a fix for this, which is located here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=420924

If you already have this, or you add it and still can't add Tarlia's hoods, come back and tell us, preferably with screenshots, what you do and what you see and we'll try to spot what's going on looking over your shoulder.

Hey guys i'm sorry I didn't have time to play the fast weeks. I hope you are still willing to help me
I tried JustPedro's pedros path again but can't find the subhoods in game.
The fix from mootilda is already installed. I will show you my subfolders now.

And I tried to search for "B001" - the only result I had was my own "BestofBusiness"-path I tried to set up. I can't find a NeighborhoodTemplate folder.
I attached my folders for you like you suggested if I can't find a solution. Hope that helps
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 6:56 PM
Those are data files. The Neighborhood Templates folders are in the game program files.

Field Researcher
#13 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 7:08 PM Last edited by wthrwthoutyu : 21st Jul 2017 at 7:20 PM.
You are looking in C:\\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, yes? Because that's a picture from your My Documents directory. The pre-made neighborhood templates that EAxis provided (and which you want to replace or add to) aren't in there, they are under Program Files(x86).

You have to replace or add to the neighborhood templates that are stored in the installed games files under C:\\Program Files(x86)\(whatever subfolders the UC uses).

Also, if you put the Tarlia's clean templates in C:\\My Docs, your game isn't using the clean templates, it's using the old broken EAxis ones (which are stored in C:\\Program Files x86.) Templates go under Program Files. The game copies from the templates over in Program Files to create a new neighborhood or subhood file in C:\\My Docs\.

Man, I hope I just made some sense...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 11:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wthrwthoutyu
You are looking in C:\\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, yes? Because that's a picture from your My Documents directory. The pre-made neighborhood templates that EAxis provided (and which you want to replace or add to) aren't in there, they are under Program Files(x86).

You have to replace or add to the neighborhood templates that are stored in the installed games files under C:\\Program Files(x86)\(whatever subfolders the UC uses).

Also, if you put the Tarlia's clean templates in C:\\My Docs, your game isn't using the clean templates, it's using the old broken EAxis ones (which are stored in C:\\Program Files x86.) Templates go under Program Files. The game copies from the templates over in Program Files to create a new neighborhood or subhood file in C:\\My Docs\.

Man, I hope I just made some sense...

Thank you and thanks PeniGriffin! I finally got it I didn't know I had to put it there
Thanks a lot!