Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 11:34 PM
Default Custom Life States?
I was wondering if there was a way to make occult like life states. I know someone did with the succubus mod but that mod is outdated now and I've yet to see anyone else attempt something similar. I want to make a life state that's similar to how the alien works, i.e. in the two forms the human looking one and the altered one. If anyone has any ideas or knows what to do that would be great.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 10:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by blueHuntress
I was wondering if there was a way to make occult like life states. I know someone did with the succubus mod but that mod is outdated now and I've yet to see anyone else attempt something similar. I want to make a life state that's similar to how the alien works, i.e. in the two forms the human looking one and the altered one. If anyone has any ideas or knows what to do that would be great.

Someone made a Sorcerer Mod, you can go ask them.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 7:11 PM
Making an entirely new life state with different forms, like Alien or Vampire, sounds pretty ambitious to me, but it also sounds like a fun project. The reason I say ambitious is because there's probably a lot of different files you would need to make to ensure that the life state functions as intended (and some Maxis ones, like the occult tracker tuning file that you would need overrides for).

I haven't tried yet to make a new life state with different forms, but your best bet would probably be to look at the game files for Alien and/or Vampire and see how it's done in the XML.

What CuteCuteSimChild is referring to, I think, is a Trait I made. What I did was I made a basic CAS trait, then I made a number of interactions and put the CAS trait in as a requirement in the interactions, so they only show up for the sims with that trait. Not unlike Active Sims only having access to the interaction Fire Up. This was a way for me to create something with special "powers" (interactions) without getting deep into new life state territory, which I'm not sure is something that has been done with this game before in mods (though more power to you if you're willing to attempt it!).

It looks like the old Succubus mod did have some kind of functionality for passing along a trait, having it be hidden with a method to get it, etc. If you want to get into CAS territory with forms, that's probably going to be extra complexity, but like I said, more power to you. It's probably possible somehow.

At a very basic level, occult life states are using a hidden trait to determine whether the sim qualifies as that life state or not. This is the principle used for the Succubus mod and similar is used in the Sorcerer Trait I made (I just opted to have the trait be a visible personality trait in CAS, rather than hidden and acquired through special means). On the trait level, it can be fairly straightforward making new stuff and having it be available only to that trait. It's the forms and all that I'm not sure about; it could be something simple or it could not. You'd really have to research it and try stuff to know for sure.

♫ Improvising into a corner ♫
♫ No rhyme or rhythm in this verse cause I'm in a corner ♫
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 6:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardTaken
Making an entirely new life state with different forms, like Alien or Vampire, sounds pretty ambitious to me, but it also sounds like a fun project. The reason I say ambitious is because there's probably a lot of different files you would need to make to ensure that the life state functions as intended (and some Maxis ones, like the occult tracker tuning file that you would need overrides for).

I haven't tried yet to make a new life state with different forms, but your best bet would probably be to look at the game files for Alien and/or Vampire and see how it's done in the XML.

What CuteCuteSimChild is referring to, I think, is a Trait I made. What I did was I made a basic CAS trait, then I made a number of interactions and put the CAS trait in as a requirement in the interactions, so they only show up for the sims with that trait. Not unlike Active Sims only having access to the interaction Fire Up. This was a way for me to create something with special "powers" (interactions) without getting deep into new life state territory, which I'm not sure is something that has been done with this game before in mods (though more power to you if you're willing to attempt it!).

It looks like the old Succubus mod did have some kind of functionality for passing along a trait, having it be hidden with a method to get it, etc. If you want to get into CAS territory with forms, that's probably going to be extra complexity, but like I said, more power to you. It's probably possible somehow.

At a very basic level, occult life states are using a hidden trait to determine whether the sim qualifies as that life state or not. This is the principle used for the Succubus mod and similar is used in the Sorcerer Trait I made (I just opted to have the trait be a visible personality trait in CAS, rather than hidden and acquired through special means). On the trait level, it can be fairly straightforward making new stuff and having it be available only to that trait. It's the forms and all that I'm not sure about; it could be something simple or it could not. You'd really have to research it and try stuff to know for sure.

Traits is something I definitely considered. And the more I think about it, it's definitely more plausible. My only real want is to have the different appearances but if I cant get that working, I'll make due with what I can. Thank you for the advice!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 12:34 AM
I've been modding the succubus mod. I think I may have fixed it (still testing). It really is just some traits and buffs that allow you to use special interactions. There is also a file which let the succubi have cambion children. That file also has some data on how aliens and vampires (I think this is why the mod broke with the toddlers (but I'm not certain, still testing)) pass on their genes (This file also has information on species (separate from life states (those are just HUMANs with traits)) there is an entry for dogs and another for cats).
Field Researcher
#6 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KlingonDragon
I've been modding the succubus mod. I think I may have fixed it (still testing). It really is just some traits and buffs that allow you to use special interactions. There is also a file which let the succubi have cambion children. That file also has some data on how aliens and vampires (I think this is why the mod broke with the toddlers (but I'm not certain, still testing)) pass on their genes (This file also has information on species (separate from life states (those are just HUMANs with traits)) there is an entry for dogs and another for cats).

btw, I'm trying to make my mermaid & stealth Groover Occult traits inheritable, I used ur XML for inheritabilty, (I haven't tested it out fully, yet. My sim is still pregnant, and I'm still trying to see if it works.) How do u do that? Can u teach me? (OR, type it down. Either way is best.) I just want them to give birth to their own species. ;-;
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 7:01 PM
First things first: Are you using MC Command Center? DP tells me that the occult custom pregnancy settings override the settings file I edited. If you turn off custom pregnancy then it should revert to the base game's settings.

And I'm not sure if that file is the correct one to edit, nor if it works.
However, assuming it's the right file and I worked out how it works (which I think I've done), I should be able to help them pass on their genes.
I'm also under the impression that the occult traits, passed on to children, are determined at conception (or pregnancy test), not birth. If this is indeed the case, you will need to get your sim pregnant for every new test.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 10:11 PM
Ok. Ty.