Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 11:09 PM Last edited by krudyard : 28th Feb 2017 at 2:25 AM.
Default Apartments with garages [Problem solved]
I tried to create a couple of apartments with attached garages. After all, there are existing apartments like Seaspray and Duplex which have garages attached and an entryway into the garage via a door or archway. I tried both, but then couldn't change the lot zoning. When I removed the door or arch, the lot zoning worked. How do I make the garage usable for Sims to use their own cars? The only workaround so far is to place the cars there before changing the zoning making them public use. I don't understand why the door or arch (both non cc) would not work when existing apartments do. I don't have pics just yet.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 11:13 PM
You can see my apartment with garages here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=533994 They need to be flat on the ground, not up on a foundation.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 11:22 PM
Yes, they're flat on the ground. Do you have an entryway into the garage from the apartment? Edit: I'll take pics when I'm next in game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 2:17 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 23rd Feb 2017 at 8:06 AM.
It's been awhile. I know they have an inside door. But if they turned into apartment or public space... I am going to say they are probably public space seeing as everything within a unit has to be enclosed and garages have a door out, so not enclosed. Thanks for the reminder Zar.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 3:50 AM
Apartment garages are considered "part" of the apartment by the game (my Inequality District has a tenement in which every apartment is identical in terms of those features that determine rent, with the exception of the lowest level including a garage on the ground floor, effectively doubling the square footage, and thereby nearly doubling the rent when compared to other locations.) Plus, they have to be part of the apartment through simple logic- after all, if they were community spaces, you wouldn't be able to place a car in the garage when you were playing a household!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 8:02 AM
Good, because I couldn't remember! That means the game does not see the garage door as a door to the common area. All my apartment houses have doors into the garage and I do remember testing, but I also have the lot in a slightly different residential form as well so I wasn't sure if I was recalling that correctly or not.

@krudyard I would suggest putting a close up floor plan of your apartment so we can look at at.

Dear disagreer, I have short term memory issues what is your issue?

~Call me Jo~
dodgy builder
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 8:13 AM
I just have to ask this, if I makes me ocd, I'm sorry. I take it you know this character, and know it's Sims2?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Dear disagreer, I have short term memory issues what is your issue?

That was just me, on the issue of whether garages were public or apartment spaces.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 5:55 AM
Volvenom, which character?Zarathustra? Yes he's a great lot builder far above us mere mortal lot builders. The man puts together rockets, I'm sure he can put together a working apartment.

Zar, Lol really, well okay then. I thought it was the disagree fairy.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 6:35 AM
I'd seen that question as whether or not @Krudyard was a TS2 builder, which is a fair question, I suppose! I'd assume, given the TS2 image and games listed on their page, that they are, but it would probably be a good idea with this forum for people to specify games... after all, while I'm pretty solid on most TS2 stuff, I literally know absolutely nothing about TS3 and 4!

And I do my best to avoid disagree fairies wherever possible (including in myself)!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 6:40 AM
Pretty sure they want sims 2 advice. Sea spray is the name of a sims 2 pre-made apartment, plus she posts often in the sims 2 forum. I also I linked my sims 2 apartment, I am sure krudyard would have said something had she meant the other games.

at Zar.

~Call me Jo~
dodgy builder
#12 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 11:12 AM
Volvenom, which character?Zarathustra? Yes he's a great lot builder far above us mere mortal lot builders. The man puts together rockets, I'm sure he can put together a working apartment.

No I'm talking about the subject of this thread lol, you probably know the krudyard, so I'm gonna stay out
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 3:30 AM
Lol @ knowing this character. Yes, definitely Sims 2 - I play no other Sims game. I will get pics on soon.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 4:29 AM
Default Pics
Front exterior of the apartment. At the back each apartment is walled off and the upper level has a balcony with a sliding door leading onto it.

Floor plan of bottom level with an archway from inside the apartment to the garage. I also tried a door.

I was unable to change the zoning to apartment unless that door or archway was removed.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 4:33 AM
Over to the the left near the back, does your white fence go all the way to the building or does it stop at the hedge?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 5:36 AM
To my knowledge, that's not an EAxis garage door... it's close, but it's not what shipped with the game... I'd guess the issue might have something to do with that, since I can't see any issue with the layout that should cause the problem you're seeing...

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 7:50 AM
@joandsarah77 - yes the fence goes all the way to the building

@zarathustra - ok, I'll try with a different garage door, thanks.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 8:34 AM
If that isn't a Maxis garage door that would be why because everything else looks right. Good spotting Zar.

~Call me Jo~
dodgy builder
#19 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by krudyard
Lol @ knowing this character. Yes, definitely Sims 2 - I play no other Sims game. I will get pics on soon.

Yes, we know so little about the people on these forums sometimes, it's kind of reduced to a picture in a thread, and the picture can be whatever they like. They might just as well be a Sim character downloaded purely because it looks good. Sorry if I offended you. It's just my sense of humor really, it's not always understood.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 1:16 PM
I was just saying on the other thread that it would help if people added to the title of their thread, TS2,TS3 or TS4.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 11:35 PM
I was just saying on the other thread that it would help if people added to the title of their thread, TS2,TS3 or TS4.

My apologies. I'm so used to being within Sims 2 forums only that I forgot this was open to all.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 11:36 PM
You were right, Zarathustra. It was the garage door. I was so intent on not using a cc linking door or arch that I completely forgot about the garage door. I changed it and it fixed the problem.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by krudyard
You were right, Zarathustra. It was the garage door. I was so intent on not using a cc linking door or arch that I completely forgot about the garage door. I changed it and it fixed the problem.

Fantastic! Two of the things I like best- finding the solution, and being right!

Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 7:01 AM
Hi @krudyard Welcome! Thanks for listing this as solved- that helps with our organization. May I ask you a favor- to edit the title so it says TS2 as the first word? I realize it doesn't matter now, but I am hoping people will remember to do that if we have some examples of thread titles that start with the game name. Thank you!

Hi @Zarathustra Welcome! Just say the word and your name will be included on the mentor list. Help as often as you can. Thanks!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo