Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Obama Swipe?
Fair Depiction?
7 16.67%
Unfair Swipe!
6 14.29%
Over reaction.
29 69.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 12:15 AM
Default "Transformers": A Swipe at Obama?
Well, Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen is finally out!

Interestingly some now are complaining about the "Unjust swipe at Obama" in it!

Now in the first movie, they had two characters who closely resembled both Rumsfeld and Pres. Bush. In the first, there was a Rumsfeldian secretary of defense (played by Jon Voight) and a bit of dialogue from "the President" clearly meant to be Bush, with an obvious Bush impression on the dialogue. Thou Bay did not name ether exactly in the movie, it was clear who they were meant to be.

Now in Revenge of the Fallen, Bay "went out of his way to name President Obama. The craven, obstructionist president of the movie.

Quote:
The President's man, "Galloway," is a bespectacled blowhard who becomes an obstacle to our brave fighting men and their alliance with the noble Autobots. Operating specifically under presidential authority, he makes all kinds of mischief. He says the President wants to try "diplomacy" against the evil Decepticons and hints the President would consider handing over Shia LaBouf's character to be killed by them. He eventually is ditched by the fighting men.

As I said, many Liberals are already crying foul.

Quote: Originally posted by Weekly Standard
I'm appalled. After eight years in which Hollywood did nothing to raise the consciousness of the American people about the horrors of the Bush administration, it doesn't even take them six months to go after a Democratic president. It's like E.J Dionne is always saying, conservatives just control the media.

So, with that, Obama is shown in the movie as a Craven leader who believes he can just sit down with the Evil Decepticons and talk them into being nice, and is willing to hand over an innocent person to the Evil Decepticons to be murdered without concern. Unwilling to take a strong stance and send in troops to fight them.

So lets debate Bay's depiction of Obama in what I'm sure will be his latest blockbuster movie.

Is Bay depicting Obama with a touch of reality, or taking an unfair swipe at Obama?

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 12:23 AM
I find this highly laughable; in any movie that took place during the bush administration, there was no problem making fun of the man for a second before getting back to the plot. ONE movie makes fun of "the messiah" and people spaz out.

Typical.
Instructor
#3 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 12:59 AM
People over react to movies all of the time. I don't think it's the fair depiction but I don't see myself get upset over it. It's like Dan Brown's movies about the Catholic Church and Gnosticism. People think it was a right depiction but based on my experience, it's just a movie. If a Movie makes fun of the president, people are going to overreact even if it's a dinosaur munching on the black president.

God, please protect me from your idiot followers for they have blinded themselves with bleach.

Money doesn't buy you happiness but it buys you beer and coffee.

Life is like Go. Its takes smart and amoral people to make decisions based on their strategies of living.
Inventor
#4 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 1:22 AM
Since it seems that all things Obama sells, I am not upset if someone is making some money from this.
Theorist
#5 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 3:13 AM
Uh, Transformers was gonna make a boatload of cash anyway, UrisStar, but you want to believe it is because they mention Obama, you go right ahead...

Quote:
So, with that, Obama is shown in the movie as a Craven leader who believes he can just sit down with the Evil Decepticons and talk them into being nice, and is willing to hand over an innocent person to the Evil Decepticons to be murdered without concern. Unwilling to take a strong stance and send in troops to fight them.

sounds about right to me...Iran, North Korea, etc the pattern is there, why should he treat Megatron any differently than Kim Jong Il?

Nick, that quote from the Weekly Standard made me fall out my chair from laughing so hard...no movies have "raised the consciousness" of the supposed horrors of the Bush Administration? Are they serious? Fahrenheit 911 anyone? It could be argued that Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is anti-Bush too. How about Oliver Stone's "W"? Rendition? Valley of Elah?

Conservatives control the media? ROFLMAO. Is that why Obama gets a completely unopposed special on ABC about his health care plan, with ABC refusing to air any opposing viewpoints? Whatever. The Weekly Standard quote is amusing, funny, but, grossly inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 3:41 AM
I have far more confidence in our president than to be insulted by a director's attempt to level the playing field. I've yet to see many logical, accurate accusations directed at Obama, but call me as soon as one crops up, because then we'll talk. This "controversy," however, is what we call in the scholastic world of journalism pulling a story out of thin air- making something out of nothing and running with it.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 4:07 AM Last edited by Daisie : 25th Jun 2009 at 8:20 PM.
^Amen.

Seriously, I don't think I could possibly care less about the oversimplification some movie director has come up with to make a point. And I'm not overly familiar with the Weekly Standard, but I doubt that, in and of itself, it's a reliable gauge of the feelings of "many liberals." The liberals I know (I know, not a reliable gauge, either, but hang on) are certainly not up in arms, and my Google searches did not reveal widespread outrage.

Inventor
#8 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by davious
Uh, Transformers was gonna make a boatload of cash anyway, UrisStar, but you want to believe it is because they mention Obama, you go right ahead...

sounds about right to me...Iran, North Korea, etc the pattern is there, why should he treat Megatron any differently than Kim Jong Il?

Nick, that quote from the Weekly Standard made me fall out my chair from laughing so hard...no movies have "raised the consciousness" of the supposed horrors of the Bush Administration? Are they serious? Fahrenheit 911 anyone? It could be argued that Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is anti-Bush too. How about Oliver Stone's "W"? Rendition? Valley of Elah?

Conservatives control the media? ROFLMAO. Is that why Obama gets a completely unopposed special on ABC about his health care plan, with ABC refusing to air any opposing viewpoints? Whatever. The Weekly Standard quote is amusing, funny, but, grossly inaccurate.

I would not know, it's not my kind of entertainment, and why would I even pay to be entertain when I could watch and listen to conservatives turn green with envy over all things Obama, for free.
Alchemist
#9 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 5:07 AM
personally? i LIKE that people can make fun of whoever they want in movies. the day we decide we cant make fun of whoever in a movie because of one reason or another, is the day we take a step back from being as free a country as we are.

and i dont care if people make fun of the president. even if hes a good one.
Banned
#10 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 8:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by davious

So you're basically saying diplomacy is a bad thing and we should all just "leeroy jenkins" our way through the world? While the diplomacy choice in the movie is a bit "Here you can have him, just leave us alone", I don't believe Obama is anything like that. Obama seems to want to at least attempt a diplomatic solution to the world's problems rather than just blowing everyone up. Obama is trying to take the path less traveled when dealing with world leaders, while Bush he just pulled a leeroy jenkins and you see where that got us.
Instructor
#11 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 9:40 AM
I was born in a country, where people were arrested for making jokes about the government. If anybody tried to criticize the government, they went to jail, their loved ones were destined to dead-end jobs and their kids were denied the chance to get higher education. Really, whether they criticize or make fun of Obama in any movie, it doesn't matter, you should be just happy that you live in a country where they CAN do it without persecutions.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 1:46 PM
Rabid & Daisie, kinda the responce in what you gave is what I was expecting. I'll wait some more and see how many more come up with simular replys before watching you all try and explane away what I have.

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#13 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
personally? i LIKE that people can make fun of whoever they want in movies. the day we decide we cant make fun of whoever in a movie because of one reason or another, is the day we take a step back from being as free a country as we are.

I agree--one of the great things about America is that you can lampoon politicians if you want, regardless of popular opinion. And anyway, maybe this is just me, but I don't really think there's a whole lot to get upset about... I wouldn't exactly call a summer action movie the right medium for biting satire.

There's always money in the banana stand.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Oprah
I was born in a country, where people were arrested for making jokes about the government. If anybody tried to criticize the government, they went to jail, their loved ones were destined to dead-end jobs and their kids were denied the chance to get higher education. Really, whether they criticize or make fun of Obama in any movie, it doesn't matter, you should be just happy that you live in a country where they CAN do it without persecutions.

I agree. Even though I do for the most part like Obama (I think he's a bit too conservative IMO), It doesn't matter what Mr. Michael 'BOOM' Bay has to say- he has a right to. Freedom of speech is vital, and we should be thankful we're not living in Pyongyang.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 12:53 AM
Obama's a grown man. He can take it. No big deal.
Test Subject
#16 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 4:59 AM
My first thought was that politics doesn't belong in an action flick. When I go to see that kind of movie, I want to see chase scenes and explosions. Lots of explosions. I don't want to be pandered to with the directors politics, regardless of whether he's mocking Bush or Obama. It's unnecessary.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 11:23 PM
*yawn* It's just Obama. Nothing special going on.
Test Subject
#18 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 1:30 AM
So what if it's a swipe at Obama? Whether you love or hate him, you have to admit they are well within their rights to do that. =D
Forum Resident
#19 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 11:27 AM
I suggest an "Uh, and so...?" option, too.
Instructor
#20 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 4:13 PM
It's like who cares. There is a thick line in satire compared with news and other stuff. As long as it's satire, people are supposed to laugh. It's like the Nazi talk about the taste of angelmeat in the TS3 discussion thread. Some don't like it because of the Nazis and how they treated other people. But if that is satire, then it must be done appropriately. Like the dish rack used for torture on the lady in Monty Python since in the middle ages, you were put on the wooden rack until you confess, usually to the crime of sorcery and witchcraft to the priest.

God, please protect me from your idiot followers for they have blinded themselves with bleach.

Money doesn't buy you happiness but it buys you beer and coffee.

Life is like Go. Its takes smart and amoral people to make decisions based on their strategies of living.
Theorist
#21 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 1:19 PM
Just saw Transformers II yesterday...this whole "anti-Obama" secret message? Let me sum it up in four words: Much ado about nothing.

Quote:
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Forum Resident
#22 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 2:52 AM
Did you save your ticket? Maybe you can still get your money back, Davious. You could say, "I heard this movie was a swipe at Obama and it WASN'T!!"
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 3:05 AM
I'll say what I always say...

It's just a movie. It's there for your entertainment (or knowledge if it's educational), not for you to analyze with a microscope and pick apart. Why can't anyone just sit back and watch it and appreciate it for what it is? A MOVIE.

The chairs, the tables, all confused
We hear the words and must speak them
We take them, and arrange them
But still... they will not be quiet...
Scholar
#24 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
I have far more confidence in our president than to be insulted by a director's attempt to level the playing field. I've yet to see many logical, accurate accusations directed at Obama, but call me as soon as one crops up, because then we'll talk. This "controversy," however, is what we call in the scholastic world of journalism pulling a story out of thin air- making something out of nothing and running with it.

That sounds about right to me.

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog
Theorist
#25 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 1:48 PM
It isn't even an insult. Its a throwaway line in the movie whose purpose is just to make it more exciting that Sam and Mikaela are running from the Decepticons. It isn't some master scheme by Michael Bay to spit in the face of Obama. It would have been the same line for a President McCain as well, because if they had the President refusing to even consider cooperating with the Decepticons, then logically, the entire military would have to protect Sam, rather than the heroes from the first movie going rogue. Having the entire US military protecting Sam isn't nearly as fun to watch than a small group facing impossible odds. Anyone who wants to seriously complain about a serious anti-Obama message is simply off of their rocker.

Quote:

Page 1 of 2