Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2009 at 10:42 AM
Default What Languages Can You Speak?
I thought this would be a pretty good discussion.

As for me, I can speak Filipino and some of its major dialects, English(I'm pretty good at imitating other English accents as well, aside from American English ), and Chinese. Not very fluent in Chinese but I once managed to survive in a Taiwanese shopping district by myself.

How about you?

BTW Pardon me if there's already a thread like this. I searched but couldn't find one.

"Go on, the world is your canvas."
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 29th May 2009 at 10:45 AM
I can speak English, French, Arabic, and I'm learning Spanish right now
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th May 2009 at 10:49 AM
Cool. I wanna learn French, and two years from now I have the option to continue my studies in France. And I shall.

Forum Resident
#4 Old 29th May 2009 at 11:06 AM
Greek, English

I'm seriously hopeless with languages. The only reason I know Greek is because my dad is Greek and I grew up speaking it + English.
Alchemist
#5 Old 29th May 2009 at 11:08 AM
I speak English, French and a small bit of Japanese and Klingon...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th May 2009 at 11:11 AM
Haha Klingon that's awesome

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th May 2009 at 2:31 PM
Slovene, English, Croatian and basic German.
I am also studying Portugese and I'll probably have to take Spanish classes next year.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th May 2009 at 2:35 PM
That's a lot of languages.

I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th May 2009 at 2:43 PM
Is speak fluently Spanish, English and French

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 29th May 2009 at 2:50 PM
I speak English very fluently, could once speak damn near perfect French, and I'm in the process of learning to speak Farsi.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 29th May 2009 at 7:16 PM
i speak english and took french, spanish and japanese in school. i was practically fluent in french and spanish. all i need to do is take refresher courses and i'd be fluent again.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 29th May 2009 at 7:51 PM
Only english, but I'm learning Korean (only know basic phrases and how to write it though) I took two years of french and one year of latin but I'm nowhere near fluent in either. I'm learning Korean out of school though since my college wont be offering it. The system of writing makes much more sense than any language I've seen I'd love to learn Croatian too since my family is from Croatia but that's not top on my priority list. I tried learning Swedish but I had too much trouble trying to pronounce it xD I also tried Japanese but there is too many letters!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 29th May 2009 at 11:55 PM
I am a Spanish major and I also speak English and French.

I definitely want to learn more languages, I just don't know what is next. Maybe I will continue with the romance languages for now.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th May 2009 at 12:32 AM
French and English.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Theorist
#15 Old 30th May 2009 at 1:04 AM
English, Latin (although it's not really a spoken thing, it's just a written and read language, bought Harry Potter in Latin last month) some German, some Welsh. I'd really like to learn more Welsh, since both my parents are fluent because they grew up there, but they moved away before I was born, so I've only picked up things from them when they use it to have a private conversation right in front of me, or on vacations there to visit relatives.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Mad Poster
#16 Old 30th May 2009 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by straightroad14
Greek, English

I'm seriously hopeless with languages. The only reason I know Greek is because my dad is Greek and I grew up speaking it + English.

Milas elinika? xD

in order of knowledge:
1st: Russian
2nd: English
3rd: Greek
4th: German( I have not used it for few years now so I almost forgot it...)
5th: French( same as above)
6th: Vulcan( just kid xD)

Also know some Estonian words cuz my best friend is Estonian :P
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th May 2009 at 3:57 AM
So, like French is common huh A lot of you know how to speak French, I noticed.

Forum Resident
#18 Old 30th May 2009 at 4:04 AM
Does Australian slang count?
I sometimes feel like we have a completely different language, and I don't even speak your stereotypical Aussie slang like "Gday mate, pop another shrimp on the barbie!"
(Nobody here speaks like that actually, and we don't even call it shrimp!)
Test Subject
#19 Old 30th May 2009 at 5:03 AM
i fluently speak english and spanish. and i speak a bit of french
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 30th May 2009 at 5:10 AM
English, German and a tiny bit of french. I can also say "hello" in swedish :D

Hosting my first contest "Style and Culture" :D
Find it here: Style and culture contest
Mad Poster
#21 Old 30th May 2009 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aled
So, like French is common huh A lot of you know how to speak French, I noticed.

I lived in Cyprus for 7 years and they speak greek there. In my school french was an option, so I took it. Then I switched to greek and it is partially why I forgot it. I wish I kept it. I really want to be fluent in it so I hope( repeat my self XD) Spanish community of NJ offers it. If not, I shall take german as I have basic knowledge of it as well.
Instructor
#22 Old 30th May 2009 at 5:22 AM
Wow, French is gaining in popularity again. When I was in high school it felt like everyone was going out to learn Spanish :P

I speak English fluently as it's my mother tongue, and I've taken 1 year of Spanish and 3 1/2-4 years of Japanese (the last year is iffy because it was just self-study). I'd like to really learn Japanese fluently, so I plan on picking Japanese back up for my university language requirements : )
Instructor
#23 Old 30th May 2009 at 5:31 AM
Swedish, English, Spanish and some French and Italian. I must admit that I've forgotten a lot of Spanish, Italian and French since I never use them.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 30th May 2009 at 11:24 AM
I can speak Danish and English (American)
I can read and understand quite a bit of Italien (I'm just not good at putting sentences together by myself)
and I can read some French.

~*Sofie-Amalie*~
LJ
Test Subject
#25 Old 30th May 2009 at 11:28 AM Last edited by sunhair : 30th May 2009 at 11:58 AM.
I speak fluently in Chinese,Japanese,Norwegian and German.
Page 1 of 19