Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 1:12 AM
Default Dissapearing Sims...That ARENT Dead >< !!!!!
Well I am Shattered as I have lost a sim I had Played for well over a week

I Have been playing Malcolm Landgraab, but in another home and away from his relatives etc. (posted something about his weight here before lol).

I did have the Story Progression turned OFF all the days I was playing Malcolm, but had another idea for creating a sim and building a house for that sim, so I did that but changed active households from Malcolm to this new sim.

For a bit of difference I turned ON Story Progression for the time I was creating this new sim and the NEW house for them.........Wich was like Half a day MY time not sim time.

Heres the crunch!!! Went back to play Malcolm and he was gone...Yes GONE

I had made a Huge garden with Malcolm and in his inventory he had EVERY perfect seed that there is excepts the omni plant seed......so I am shattered.

Did some investigations....went to Malcolms mothers House (changed active sim to do so), to see if Malcolm was registered dead in his mothers family tree...........BUT he is NOT dead according to it ><

SOOOOO WTF??

OK ...soo I was a bit peeved at this and decided to investigate other sims households that I had been playing before Malcolm....and low and behold ANOTHER of my sims I created is Missing...in fact I found out that there are 2 more sims MISSING but NOT Dead according to their relatives family trees!!!!

No I did not make a back up of Malcolm or the others (my fault really), But what on earth is going on?....I mean is their aliens here in sims 3? Where sims arent dead but missing???

YEs Story Progression can be a bad thing and it can be a good thing.....I only turned it back on for half a day my time just to keep a 'Flow' in my sims game, but never expected some of my sims to dissapear !!!

Anyone else had this happen ?

Cheers and LOL /shrug

On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 2:21 PM
This is expected behavior when using standard EA "story progression". Any sim which is not in your current family can be deleted by the game at any time.

To solve this, either turn off story progression and keep it off, or else install one of the core mods which "fix" this aspect of story progression.

Note that the ability to turn off story progression is broken unless you have the patch installed.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 3:00 PM
I have the patch install and will look for story progression thingy as I have at randomly lost odd sims mysteriously but now find out after 8-9 hrs of play they begin to disappear in front of my eyes at home gardening and poof they're gone and in the park on picnioc blanket! poof they're gone, babies disapear all the time, totally erased. edit town and whole families are gone.

Trying to get EA support help but their e-mail site has a missing PC and game format field and wont send the message with out these details.

At first i thought it was the mysterious gnoms as I had just found them but when I went to fix it noticed almost 50% of all home, mine and the default are now empty?? the enternet is full with this issue but no definative answers, going to start new game see if I can beta test Maxis's game to see what it is or senario.
Sorry if I have place this in the wrong place.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 3:04 PM
I'm pretty sure this is "deliberate" behaviour within story progression. If you want story progression without such stupidities, I suggest the Indie Stone Story Progression mod.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 3:12 PM
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 3:14 PM
That won't change the strange story progression behaviour, only fix the ability to turn progression off altogether. That workaround is now obsolete, as turning off story progression is fixed by the patch.

Theorist
#7 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 4:57 PM
Yep, this is a normal part of Story Progression. I made a custom Sim and put him in a house, and the game deleted him 3-times, within just a couple Sim-days of me putting him in! I thought maybe he was moving away due to getting lonely (just a guess, I don't know if there's a loneliness factor in the game or not), so the last time I moved him in with an existing family and so far he's stayed put. You can tell if a Sim has been deleted by the game by reading the paper. It will tell you when the game has deleted your Sim.

Resident wet blanket.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 7:38 PM
We cannot do support when you are using a no cd crack.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 1:05 AM
I have the patch also and have had since it came out ><

I dont want really want to install an add on but as someone above mentioned the add on doesnt work since patch lol

And to the poster above me....WHO is using a no cd crack??

Cheers

PS: my fiance plays about 3 different sims, but in 3 separate saves, in other words 3 separate parallel towns, and HAS story Progression turned on .
He has had no missing sim etc etc etc as of yet, but I feel it is a bit boring having to have all your own created sims in separate saved neighborhoods.
Defeats what I want to do in the game...(my sims meeting my other created sims >< )

and two we find before.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 1:24 AM
The mod I linked to (on MTS) works fine with the patch - in fact it requires it. The workaround (on the blog site) doesn't do what you want anyway.

Canoodle was referred to the deleted post - she replied while I was deleting it .

Your game is working as intended - obviously the behaviour is stupid, but it's supposed to be stupid. There are only two ways to stop this happening - turn off story progression, or install the Indie Stone mod. Which you do is up to you.

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 3:14 PM
The Indy Stone mod crashed my game twice on testing it when I went save to exit and unable to recover it both times, it may be due to Vista 64 and/or it conflicts with SXS2_Darkpool inteen by killing romance interactions.
I have the latest patch 1.2.7 installed the option to turn off story progression that it supposed to have fixed still doesn't work. I'll like most will have to wait patiently and see if someone out there can mod to flag your created Sims so the story progression skips them in the random migrate selection process so we can have life time friends and associates and not like living in a bus stop. Else all is good.
Theorist
#12 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 4:15 PM
If you can't use the Indie Stone mod, you can always try Pescado's awesomemod. It works fine for me in Vista x64. It has a "God's Chosen People" function which will flag households so that story progression skips them.

Resident wet blanket.
Site Helper
#13 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 9:08 PM
Unfortunately, if you are using a core mod (SXS2_Darkpool inteen?) which conflicts with Indy Stone, then it will likely also conflict with AwesomeMod.

The problem is that EA decided to write the game so that you can only have one core mod in your game at one time. This means that you may have to choose between your inteen and an ability to control story progression.

So, am I understanding correctly: EA patched the game to allow us to turn off Story Progression, but it's not working; you are still seeing random move-outs, babies, family merges, etc?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 12:18 AM
Thanks GnatGoSplat, Mootilda I'll give anything a go once. if it works I'll let you all know.
I have it turned off under options and it still does, I am backing up the saves files out side the game after finishing each play so that if anyone imortant vanishes durring current play i can just deleat it and reinstall the backed up saves, just adopting different play stategy and be alert.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 9:44 AM
Tried Pescado's awesomemod, and none of my sims disappeared but yes it conflicts with SXS2_Darkpool inteen?, I touched nothing else in the Pescado's awesomemod as I read it everything should stay in default, cemetry has no more ghosts as I see none in four nights, and no more gems and moon rocks. It would be good if Pescado broke the mood up into pacific seperate mods for a mod of such magnatude as it is said the more plumbing you got the easier it is to block up. I'll keep looking.....
Site Helper
#16 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 3:37 PM
Unfortunately, EA changed things so that Pescado cannot split his mod into separate smaller mods. They decided to write the game so that there could be only 1 core mod. In fact, EA tried very hard to make sure that there couldn't be any core mods and we would be stuck with the game randomly destroying our sims; but, the modders were smarter than EA thought that they were.

Please don't double post. Just use the "Edit" button to add information to your existing post.
Test Subject
#17 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 6:40 PM
Did he just move out or is he completely gone? Because usually if you were to visit Malcom's family the members should still have his icon in the relationship menu and from there you can invite him over, interact with him for a while and get the option to invite him back. Better for those with higher relationships. This has happened to me a lot where an invidual sim disappears but I can't find them anywhere in the neighbourhood, meaning they're technically "homeless" but I managed to invite them back.

Awesome mod doesn't seem to fully prevent sims from leaving but it does seem to prevent those where it wouldn't make sense for a sim to leave. It also appears to prevent an entire household from disappearing.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 5:11 AM
koifish515....Malcolm had moved out into his OWN home and he is missing , gone, all that stuff!

Heres the story.....I moved a Young sim into the landgrab household so she could fullfill here lifetime wish...wich was gold digger.
She flirted with Malcolms father and eventually it lead to Malcolms father and mother splitting up.
This was so my Young sim could move in and fullfill her lifetime wish etc.
I moved Malcolm and his mother out separately via the computer.
I had Story Progression ON.....but didnt realise how 'Bad' it was lol.
So I continued to play Mr Landgraab and this New Younger woman with the SP on....I did this for about 2 days real time not sim time.

Was a bit tired of playing that household and had another idea fior a sim and a house so did that for half a day, when I noticed in Edit Neighborhood that Malcolm had moved into a house on his own....and searching around I noticed His mother had moved into another house on her own.
This perked my curiosity so I started to play Malcolm....and as My OP stated...lol all went downhill from there when MAlcolm went missing with all his seeds (Perfect) in his inventory.

Sorry this was so long, but I needed to explain that Malcolm Was not in the original Landgraab Household etc etc

Cheers

and two we find before.
Site Helper
#19 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 4:20 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 11th Jul 2009 at 5:36 PM.
EA story progression will perform a number of bizarre random changes to your neighborhood. This is an excellent post which documents the possible changes:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,15408.0.html

The action which you are seeing may be:
Quote:
Emigrate Household
A SelectRandomHousehold is permanently disintegrated. All sims contained within cease to exist.
The only family which is safe from these changes is the one that you are currently playing. If you switch away from a family, even for a very short period of time, that family is subject to story "progression" (ie, destruction).

EA decided to do this in the hopes that having random horrible things happen in your neighborhood would simulate real life.