Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#126 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 9:14 AM
Looking through this thread, I'm not getting much info on University... is it worth getting it? Or will I get bored with the University life very fast? (My sims tend to not mingle with non-job-related NPCs)

C-A
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#127 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 10:06 PM Last edited by Mammal : 1st Mar 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
Looking through this thread, I'm not getting much info on University... is it worth getting it? Or will I get bored with the University life very fast? (My sims tend to not mingle with non-job-related NPCs)

C-A

I'm pretty lukewarm on University. I like a lot of the clothing, hairs, and Build/Buy objects, but I'm not wild about the actual "go to University" parts. Next time I send Sims to University, I'm going to try and send a few siblings in a group, instead of one Sim all by their lonesome, see if that livens it up at all. The social groups are alright, but I wish they were a little less intrusive. The new careers are nice, but I wish they weren't tied to the social groups the way they are. FWIW, I like it a lot more than the TS2 University EP.

On a related note, most EP's are 60% off on Steam for the next 40 hours, so if you're a Steam player, now is a good time to buy!

EDIT: If you don't like interacting with NPC's, you probably won't like Uni's gameplay very much. Unless you send two or more Sims to Uni together (which, as I said, I haven't done yet) it's all NPC's. The worst are the roommates. Unless you send a full 8 Sims at a time, you'll be forced to live with 7 Sims who never bathe, wash their dishes, or pick up their dirty clothes. The entire dorm is absolutely revolting less than two days into the term.
Scholar
#128 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 11:27 PM
Mh. Well I watched a review which included some gameplay footage and, yeah, it doesn't look all that interesting... out of the videos I've watched, seems like Late Night is the only one that still seems the most interesting to me. Will definitely get that (not on Steam, I am on Origin) not sure about the rest... they all look... rather weak. Even the ones I have are a bit on the weak side.

C-A
Test Subject
#129 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 6:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mammal
I'm pretty lukewarm on University. I like a lot of the clothing, hairs, and Build/Buy objects, but I'm not wild about the actual "go to University" parts. Next time I send Sims to University, I'm going to try and send a few siblings in a group, instead of one Sim all by their lonesome, see if that livens it up at all. The social groups are alright, but I wish they were a little less intrusive. The new careers are nice, but I wish they weren't tied to the social groups the way they are. FWIW, I like it a lot more than the TS2 University EP.

On a related note, most EP's are 60% off on Steam for the next 40 hours, so if you're a Steam player, now is a good time to buy!

EDIT: If you don't like interacting with NPC's, you probably won't like Uni's gameplay very much. Unless you send two or more Sims to Uni together (which, as I said, I haven't done yet) it's all NPC's. The worst are the roommates. Unless you send a full 8 Sims at a time, you'll be forced to live with 7 Sims who never bathe, wash their dishes, or pick up their dirty clothes. The entire dorm is absolutely revolting less than two days into the term.

I'd have to agree with you on University for the Sims 3, it seems a bust compared to the Sims 2 Uni EP. The whole "social groups" aspect is kind of annoying, in terms of ranking up all the way and the rewards for ranking up aren't all that great for the work you'll put into it. Although the new phone and options with said phone are probably my favourite part of Uni, that and the Science skill and being able to clone sims, such as an alien if you manage to befriend one. The Mascot is also incredibly annoying, as is the one person who streaks and always manages to get into either your dorm or place you're renting for a group of sims.
Field Researcher
#130 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 12:14 AM
Is Showtime worth getting? Also, which EP town would you guys say is the best?
Scholar
#131 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 12:33 AM
Check the forum. Looking at the posts in this forum, though, a lot of people seem to call it "Late Night 2.0" as it has things in it that obviously would make a lot more sense to have in Late Night, rather than an expansion pack on its own. From a review I watched, it seems fun if you like being a stage magician or simply want to be able to be a singer instead of being in the music career or lacked that in the band for LN...

C-A
Field Researcher
#132 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 12:47 AM
How about Island Paradise? It didn't look that interesting to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also are the Build/Buy/CAS items added by Showtime any good, at least?
Scholar
#133 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 11:21 AM
I found IP fun... downside is that the resort is kind of bland to manage after some time. Also, seems to me like you need A LOT of money to be able to really turn it into something great. Even with the free one you get in Isla Paradiso. Speaking of Isla Paradiso, the other problem is that, unless you use Isla Paradiso, you have no access to the dive lots. (This CAN be rectified by getting a custom world with its own dive lots - for example, I am using Alocasia which has the IP dive lots put into it. Or Suarvia Resort, it has two own dive lots... but that world has other problems) Also, hidden islands... fun to unlock. But you can build those yourself if you look at a guide online.

The mermaid lifestate is... eh, I guess it's fun. I found it annoying to maintain its hunger since kelp doesn't feed much and most other food doesn't work well for them. It's nice to not fear the drowning and the mermaids can look nice in the water, but overall... well, I can't say any of the extra lifestates I have seen in Sims 3 are all that fun to play after a while.

Living on a houseboat can be quite fun, I guess. I personally felt it was annoying after a while to see the waves constantly crashing against it and my sims seemed to have to run around the port for a bit before leaving for whatever destination they were heading off to. Lifetime Wishes are part of the new ones, like lifeguard saving, owning a 5 Star Resort and such. The new lifeguard profession is kind of like some of the Ambitions jobs, but it's most autonomous and pretty boring to watch, so focusing on another sim is a good idea at that point.
Lifetime Happiness Rewards involve strong stomach (no seasickness), lungs of steel (no drowning) and similar. Okay, but not great, if you don't need them. I think there's only 2 new traits... Loves to Swim and Sailor.

As for Showtime, I don't know, I don't own it. From a review I watched, seems it has that bubble window from sims 1 and things like a DJ table.

C-A
Field Researcher
#134 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 5:37 PM
Which, if any, store towns are worth getting?
Scholar
#135 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 6:38 PM
Ho boy, asking the wrong person there... but if you like fun towns and the '20s - '40s style of things, I guess Barnacle Bay would be worth it. (Although I must say the idea of a broadwalk and rollercoaster in Sims feels very strange)

C-A
Field Researcher
#136 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
Ho boy, asking the wrong person there... but if you like fun towns and the '20s - '40s style of things, I guess Barnacle Bay would be worth it. (Although I must say the idea of a broadwalk and rollercoaster in Sims feels very strange)

C-A

Do you mean Roaring Heights? Barnacle Bay is all...piratey - I have no idea how to explain it. =P
Field Researcher
#137 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 6:16 PM
Is Town Life Stuff any good?
Test Subject
#138 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 3:24 AM
What I would get
Quote: Originally posted by nikkiforest99
Question: Which EP should I buy? I have $95 (about 2 expansions) and I'm leaning toward Late Night and Pets right now. Opinions?

I would get Late Night if you like vampires, cities and night clubs. That's my favorite EP.
Top Secret Researcher
#139 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Grumpo Marx
Is Town Life Stuff any good?

Town Life is ok. But EA gave it for free 1 month ago. You were not around to get it? It was literately $0.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Test Subject
#140 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 12:37 PM
So far i have bought all the expansions and some stuff packs.

I like Supernatural the most. I love Moonlight Falls, and i mostly play this neighboorhood,even with normal sims.
Supernatural is awesome, if some mods are used- i have one that stops zombies from attacking plants. usually i am gardening a lot and that would be a dealbreaker, but hey, theres mods.
seasons is also good. But i had to use twallans tempest to keep the plants from bugging, and a mod to stop leaves from piling up. without that it was horrible. I like that i get a gardening break in winter, usually a good time to level "indoor-skills".
Pets is... meh. I just tried to get a Sim into horsebreeding and i find it too time-consuming. Wouldn't want to uninstall it though.
I haven't really tried Into the Future and University yet, but am planning on doing that with my current Sim. She's quite a nerd already :D

Sadly i'm unable to play Island Paradise... to much water, game gets laggy as hell and freezes regulary. Other neighborhoods are just fine and i can run high settings on 1600x900 smoothly, but the Ocean completely makes it unplayable. So if i had to uninstall one, that would probably be IP.
And If it wasn't some kind of completitionist, is could have skipped showtime. But i really could not stand having the genie-lifestate greyed out ...

Stuff packs, mhh. I have High End Loft stuff (was with the humble bundle origin package, i started out with that) and Town Life Stuff ( got it for free lately). I was considering getting town life stuff. But there is no Stuff pack i really miss. I will NEVER EVER get Katy Perry. I just hate the hole idea. Even that loading-advertising screen fills me with nausea.

What i do like and would recommend is Midnight Hollow. Even though i don't really play there as i prefer Moonlight Falls, there are many many objects and clothes and hairstyles i really like. Maybe i will also be buying the "farming store content". Grandpas Grove, bohemias garden, the stuff with cows and chickens and so on.

I do recommend registering and watching for free store content. I got quite a lot nice stuff for free, especially around christmas. some was announced via Email-newsletter ( would have missed Town life stuff without that) .
Test Subject
#141 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Grumpo Marx
Is Showtime worth getting? Also, which EP town would you guys say is the best?

I think that Showtime is worth getting, especially if you enjoy singers, acrobats, magicians. Starlight Shores isn't too bad as far as pre-made worlds go.
My favorite EP is Late Night, though. I love the city of Bridgeport and enjoy the vampires and clubs.
Instructor
#142 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 11:30 AM
I recently bought Generations, which I love. I love playing with families and all the new kids stuff and playground stuff are just made for me. I'm thinking about getting another EP. I'm torn between Seasons, Pets and Late Night. Seasons would add some reality to the game and Pets would give me those long wanted pets, other than fish. Late Night has apartments so you wouldn't have worry about landscaping. My niece has LN so I kinda know what to expect, still...

Other than the city life and apartmens and few others, LN don't have that much what I want. Is it EP worth getting if you mostly play ith families? Are those two good mix.

I have some concerns about Pets, though. I have seen lot of freaky dogs and cat in youtube and I'm afraid it is too buggy. Is the EP itself that is buggy or are they result of mods and cc? I don't use any mods and only have actually working cc hair. Seasons adds lot of new events and fun stuff to do. What I have seen it is really fun EP to have.

So, what I really want to know about Pets and Seasons is the possible glitches and downsides? I don't want the overall review, but your experience.
Scholar
#143 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 1:36 PM
If I remember rightly, Pets and Seasons are the two most resource-heavy EPs.

Late Night is very much an EP for the young adults in my experience. Bit city world, partying and nightclubs, but not really anything for tots and kids, and middling stuff for teens (they can enjoy the nightclubs and such, but probably run into problems with the curfew). If you adore playing young singletons or have a lot of sims you feel need to have more of a social life (even then I'd recommend mods) then it's good. Families? Nah. Don't think Late Night came with anything for anyone under teen, not even clothing.

Pets...now, I didn't like Pets all that much for TS2 and ranked TS1 pets a lot higher for numerous reasons. TS3 Pets actually brought back a fair few things I liked about TS1 pets, plus added the ability to control them natively (unlike TS2 pets where you needed a cheatcode to control them). Cats can hunt, dogs can scavenge, and you also get horses for the first time. Also is the ability to have minor pets, which was so lacking in TS2 -- come on, guys, TS1 had fish, womrats, iguanas, turtles, budgies, love birds, parrots, and cockatoos, yet TS2 only added back in wormrats, fish, parrots, and a small dog. TS3 Pets adds in various birds (16 types), lizards (8 types), rodents (7 types), snakes (9 types), turtles (8 types) -- some of them can be bought, others can only be found in the world by searching.

As to glitches, I've never really experienced many. I've never seen the weird stretchy pets despite having a ton of custom content and mods, and I use Twallan's Register mod to control the number of wild pets around (a horse in the middle of your salon is funny the first time, not so much the fiftyth time). From what I hear, it's due to a missing or incorrectly linked animations, so it's something in the game code itself. Should snap back after a bit -- if you've ever experienced stretchy toddlers, it's like that.

Seasons was my favourite EP of TS2, but it slipped down a bit for TS3, partly because some of the things I loved about it (fishing, gardening) was in TS3 from the start. However, it's still a pretty essential EP for me simply because weather is an integral part of life in general. I keep on forgetting about the fesitval lots because I'm accustomed to being able to have things on the home lot (a TS2 throwback). What I do like is the ability to change the lengths of seasons -- unlike TS2 where you were stuck with 5-day seasons, you can adjust them from a minimum of 3 days, or even remove a season or two at whim.
Forum Resident
#144 Old 1st May 2014 at 4:06 PM
My least favorite expansion pack is world adventures. I wanted a holiday themed expansion pack like Bon voyage from the Sims 2 but with the open world concept, with hotels and the likes. What we got instead was a hot mess. There is no holiday feel to it but I guess thats why it's called world adventures Hardly any clothes/objects and the 3 destinations themselves didn't offer much, aesthetically they were nice to look at (from map view lol) but it got boring after playing 20 mins of it. The adventures themselves are quite fun the first time but they get repetitive and dull after a while too so that's no fun either. Way too restrictive for a game like the Sims. Also this may seem silly but where the hell were the hotels? It was so disappointing. Another thing I hate is how you can't make a custom destination, in the Sims 2 you could make custom holiday destinations and custom uni destinations where as in the Sims 3 that is pretty much impossible without a crap load of mods and talented bunch of people who are willing and happy enough to fix up one of EA's many messes.
Instructor
#145 Old 3rd May 2014 at 10:46 AM
How heavy? I have 6GT RAM Fujitsu laptop with Windows 8 and everything works smoothly right now, but if there is big change that the game would get too slow, I don't want to take that risk. If this isn't the right place to ask about these, please direct me to the right forum.
Test Subject
#146 Old 3rd May 2014 at 10:12 PM
What is your most favourite/least favourite expansion pack, and why?
What is your most favourite/least favourite stuff pack, and why?
If you could rank how much you like each expansion or stuff pack in order, what would your order be?
If you had to remove an expansion, which one would it be, and why?

1. My favorite expansion packs are either Late Night or Seasons. Late Night, I love the city life, (horribly done) celebrities, bars and such. I find the weather graphics excellent, the festivals pretty good also. Least favorite ones would be World Adventures, only got it because I like having families scattered throughout towns, food register and such. I wanted vacation style, not literally adventure.

2. Never bought a stuff pack, I can easily get new furniture with CC

1. Late Night & Seasons
2. Ambitions
3.Generatons
4. World Adventures

4. Although World Adventures is my least favorite, I would have to remove Generations. I barely play my save files enough to make families, and even when, the interactions are pretty sloppy.
Test Subject
#147 Old 4th May 2014 at 10:42 PM
I like this thread even though i'm like 4 years late but who cares right? But this should be fun.

What is your most favourite/least favourite expansion pack, and why? Most fav would have to be Generations/Seasons, those 2 tie into each other so well.

What is your most favourite/least favourite stuff pack, and why? TBH, i really don't like them that much. I fell in love with expansions only.

If you could rank how much you like each expansion or stuff pack in order, what would your order be? OOOO. This is kinda hard but... Island Paradise > Generations > Seasons > Late Night > Pets > University > & The Others. (I wasn't thinking that hard oops)

If you had to remove an expansion, which one would it be, and why? It would be have to be Ambitions/Showtime, for some strange reason I just don't love them that much as the others ones.
Scholar
#148 Old 5th May 2014 at 1:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by miarell
How heavy? I have 6GT RAM Fujitsu laptop with Windows 8 and everything works smoothly right now, but if there is big change that the game would get too slow, I don't want to take that risk. If this isn't the right place to ask about these, please direct me to the right forum.

From what I recall, it was a large issue for people who were skirting the minimum reqs. to begin with. The minimum requirements did not change since the release of the base game, so someone who was running a low to middling rig for the base game would have in all likelyhood struggled with some of the newer, more process-heavy EPs like Seasons and Pets. With a 64-bit system and a smooth running game (with, I presume, reasonably good graphics options and a decent graphics card) you should be okay. Still concerned? There's a Computer & Software Technical Support forum where you can put your stats (but again, I'd expect people to come back and say you're fine).
Scholar
#149 Old 21st May 2014 at 12:16 PM
I'm currently contemplating if I want to buy World Adventure (I like the Martial Arts idea) or Ambitions (although if I can't make a flower shop...) although I don't know if either will make me feel more depth in the game again after uninstalling Generations.

C-A
Instructor
#150 Old 21st May 2014 at 12:40 PM
Other than the new skills, Martial Arts, Nectar Making and Photography and new collectables, WA don't really do much more me. Those are the only reason why I keep it installed. Though, if I get Supernatural I may uninstall it.

Ambitions is one of my favourite EP. I love to be able to redesign townies houses the way I want without have to switch households. Sometimes I see absolutely horrible sim in town, all I have to it invite them to my place and give them little fashion advice. I also love sculpting. I use the best ones on redesigning parks and museums. I also, for some weird reason, like doing the laundry lol. Sometimes I go to the Twinbrooks laundromat and hoarder all the washing machine for myself and just wash my worries away.
Page 6 of 10