Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 2:08 PM
Advice on if it is possible to upgrade my graphics chip...
I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook with Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family. The Sims game says it has an unknown compatibility. I am running all stuff packs and every EP up to seasons (only missing BV). All settings are maxed in game but not as clear as other people’s images, I have seen. I recently added more ram to the computer but it did not help. At the store where I purchased the computer, I asked about the graphics and was told IF it were possible to upgrade the graphics, it would be very expensive! I tried researching this but I am quite computer illiterate and didn't get anywhere except to add more ram. If anyone knows anything about this, I would appreciate any help, thank you!

Sorry for being so wordy...
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 2:29 PM
Hello there! Well as far as I know, upgrading a Graphics Card on a laptop is quite hard to do and would cost a lot of cash. But if it's an intergrated chip (which it seems to be) then you can't upgrade it.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 3:24 PM
Yep, if it's intergrated you cannot update it what-so-ever as it is part of the laptop's motherboard. I have Intel intergrated graphics and cannot update the graphics, and only updated the RAM to 1GB. I'm currently waiting for my new computer to come through to replace this laptop, which would be the only way you would be able to get better graphics and running speeds.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 4:10 PM
Oh darn! Well it was worth checking into, thank you for replying EinsteinSims and Tramen. My laptop is still less than a year old so I won't be getting a new one any time soon! I guess that is all then...
shiny!
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Jan 2008 at 1:17 AM
They're all right of course.. can't update the graphics on a laptop with an integrated chip. However, you might try going to intel.com and updating the drivers. Might help things run a little bit better, but yeah not the greatest to play any game on either way.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Jan 2008 at 1:24 AM
And you probably -don't- want to play the game on all high settings with that chip. It's not a gaming chip and integrated Intel chips (in laptops and desktops) are notorious for degrading and eventually failing when subjected to high strain. In a laptop where you simply can't upgrade, this basically ruins your whole laptop. http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...nboard_Graphics

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jan 2008 at 6:08 AM
I appreciate all the help, especially the article on the wiki, very helpful. I do not always have the graphic settings turned all the way up but since I have been doing a contest and posting pictures, I thought it best to have them up. Thank you callistra and HystericalParoxysm. I'm making some changes to how I play now because of what I have learned... thank you again!